PDA

View Full Version : Wrong oil from Stealership - general vent/rant

willtill
10-16-2015, 05:23 AM
Though I am not in love with motorcycle dealerships in general; I do occasionally try to swing by once in a while and give them business.

Out of the two Honda dealerships in my immediate area; there is one I will not go back to (whom sold me my F6B and I'll just let those reasons lie... they've already been discussed). The other dealership I have maybe visited 7 times to look around and have made three purchases there.

Last early August; before the F6B Rally I went there to purchase some GN4 oil. I didn't have my owners manual with me and asked the parts guy there what oil to purchase for my F6B... he directed me to the area where the oil was and handed me 4 bottles of GN4 5w-30. I asked him if that was the correct viscosity and he said yes; that's what they all come with.

Well fast forward to yesterday... when I decided to change my oil out at the first 3K mark... I decided to double check the recommended viscosity in the manual; 'lo and behold... the manual states 10w-30 or 10w-40 (dependent upon expected ambient temperatures).

So back to the Stealership I go with the 4 bottles of 5w-30. Took an act of God to get them to exchange the oil for the correct viscosity and they were not too happy about it either; since I didn't have my receipt and they had to do their job by looking up the past purchase on their computer to verify I bought the oil from them.

So in summary... make sure YOU know what oil your bike takes before you buy it (that was MY fault). Normally I am more prepared mentally for a purchase such as that. But...

...I had put my trust in the parts guy to sell me the correct oil. Just goes to show you that you can't trust them again with another aspect of motorcycle maintenance.

I wonder how many motorcycles are serviced at these facilities; that are refilled with the incorrect viscosity of oil??? :shhh: Something to think about....

seadog
10-16-2015, 06:24 AM
My original dealer I bought my bike from is the last place you will ever see me. I won't darken there door ever again. I hashed all that out before with the major incompetence they showed working on my F6b and now am trying other dealers to find one without idiots working there. These are supposed to be trained and qualified certified mechanics. There were none at the dealership I bought my bike from. Filled the final drive oil with the bike on the side stand, WRONG. Over filled the oil by almost a quart, WRONG, lost one of the rubber pieces off the right side cover and it took almost two months to get it back from them. Talk about screwing the pooch!

Old Ryder
10-16-2015, 06:55 AM
Being a former Victory owner, you too should be well versed in the incompetence of motorcycle dealers. :cus:

bob109
10-16-2015, 08:57 AM
Rotella T-6.....The "Right Oil"....at the "Right Viscosity".....at the "Right Price" and "Done Right" by me:icon_wink::stirthepot:

willtill
10-16-2015, 09:05 AM
Rotella T-6.....The "Right" Oil....at the "Right" Viscosity.....at the "Right Price" and "Done Right" by me:icon_wink::stirthepot:

I actually exchanged the wrong GN4 oil for HPN4 instead... while I was correcting the viscosity mistake with them. the Honda HPN4 is a synthetic blend...

...but I may go back to the T6 Rotella. I just have had a bad experience with it previously (won't rant about that again).

Bill1584
10-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Rotella T-6.....The "Right Oil"....at the "Right Viscosity".....at the "Right Price" and "Done Right" by me:icon_wink::stirthepot:

Yes sir. All counts.

Wing'n it
10-16-2015, 11:01 AM
10w40 Honda GN4 oil in mine, might change to the synthetic in the future. Funny but the wife's Honda car uses 0w20 full synthetic, man that's like water going in!!

willtill
10-16-2015, 11:07 AM
10w40 Honda GN4 oil in mine, might change to the synthetic in the future. Funny but the wife's Honda car uses 0w20 full synthetic, man that's like water going in!!

Ya, my 2011 F150 uses 5W-20 synthetic blend ...and it goes through a quart every 5,000 miles. Not burning it, not leaking it; it just disappears :shrug:

Wing'n it
10-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Ya, my 2011 F150 uses 5W-20 synthetic blend ...and it goes through a quart every 5,000 miles. Not burning it, not leaking it; it just disappears :shrug:

Is your Ford a turbo truck? Some of the turbo guy's have been griping about oil "loss" with the turbo motors.

willtill
10-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Is your Ford a turbo truck? Some of the turbo guy's have been griping about oil "loss" with the turbo motors.

Nope. 5.0 V8

opas ride
10-16-2015, 02:03 PM

I am now using Rotella T-6 and about to do my winter oil change....No issues with Honda oil as I had always used it in all my other Honda bikes for years....But, the T-6 works great, just bought another jug at Meijers for $19.97 on sale and got a $5 rebate from Shell....What a deal!!!...No issues with my Honda dealer so far, but it is a 125 miles away so I don't visit often, but techs there seem to okay and service, what little I used it, is fine at this point.....Quick story about local Honda dealer, which I will never buy anything from ever...Stopped by last week just for fun to see if they had anything new on the floor. You could have shot a cannon through the place as there was not anyone around except for a couple of sales people at their desks with a phone "stuck in their ass, I mean ear"....I hate the place and think I will write them off my list once and for all.....Ride safe...

valkmc
10-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Last time in my Honda dealer I asked the parts teenager to grap me an oil filter. I left 10 mins later with out one. I told him twice it was the same as the full Wing. I guess he didn't believe me. He went to ask someone and never came back.

Steve 0080
10-18-2015, 10:07 PM
I use Seminole Power Sports...GREAT dealership and the Service Manager is #1.... 407-322-3253 no complaints from any department !!!

This after about 10 years of service !

Alberta Beagle
10-21-2015, 09:34 AM
I use Seminole Power Sports...GREAT dealership and the Service Manager is #1.... 407-322-3253 no complaints from any department !!!

This after about 10 years of service !

Seems like you and me are the only two guys who have a dealer who knows what they are doing. Honestly I don't believe we are that lucky. Some folks just love to bitch.
Been servicing with the same dealer for about 6 years without issue and the same car dealer for 15 without issue. always treated well and priced fairly for work done.

willtill
10-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Seems like you and me are the only two guys who have a dealer who knows what they are doing. Honestly I don't believe we are that lucky. Some folks just love to bitch.
Been servicing with the same dealer for about 6 years without issue and the same car dealer for 15 without issue. always treated well and priced fairly for work done.

The bitching is valid. There's no love in it either.... :icon_rolleyes:

Wouldn't like to see you get your bike fucked up by a dealer one day. You'd sing a different tune thereafter if it happened.... :icon_rolleyes:

Old Ryder
10-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Seems like you and me are the only two guys who have a dealer who knows what they are doing.

When I dealt with the Victory dealer, I found that I was better informed from 2 different forums that the service department from the 3 closest dealerships. As for the local Honda guys--- they are not especially incompetent but hard to deal with. The smallest amount of oil on a fork will not pass inspection and if you want to ride, then pay them their $90 per hour (or $1.50 per minute) to fix something that is not really broke. Same with tires and anything else. Full MSRP on everything! My VTX1800 would not pass inspection after 4200 miles---needed tires because they said they were cupped. This is not just me and a single experience---take it to an indy shop---- NO PROBLEM!

BradS
10-29-2015, 08:40 PM
I am amazed at the lack of knowledge some people have about the motorcycle industry..... Especially when they are trying to sale motorcycles. I called a dealer in the Austin, Tx area and asked for a price on a F6B...... The salesman replied, "sorry sir....we don't sale Yamahas!!!"
AMAZING!!!!!

shooter
10-29-2015, 09:40 PM
OK , so I'll tell my story about my dealer. Big St. Charles Motorsports. This is a huge dealership. They sell the Big Three Metrics plus Can Am plus Indian and HD. Bought my bike on a Monday. Called and made a deal with my salesman. I had been there twice looking at it. Went to pick it up and it was absolutely filthy. It had been on the showroom for months. I griped about it and the salesman told someone to clean it up. It was outside in a gravel back lot and covered with dust. I signed the paperwork and went back to get my bike , still filthy and started it. Gas light was on and they had no gas for it. I had to buy gas down the street for the fifty mile ride home. I will not let those pricks do the recall on my bike. They dont inspire confidence. Bike felt loose on the way home. Checked air pressure the next day and had 20 lbs. front and rear. Azz holes didn't even check it. Spent four hours cleaning and rubbing scuffs out of the paint the next day.

willtill
10-30-2015, 09:39 AM
OK , so I'll tell my story about my dealer. Big St. Charles Motorsports. This is a huge dealership. They sell the Big Three Metrics plus Can Am plus Indian and HD. Bought my bike on a Monday. Called and made a deal with my salesman. I had been there twice looking at it. Went to pick it up and it was absolutely filthy. It had been on the showroom for months. I griped about it and the salesman told someone to clean it up. It was outside in a gravel back lot and covered with dust. I signed the paperwork and went back to get my bike , still filthy and started it. Gas light was on and they had no gas for it. I had to buy gas down the street for the fifty mile ride home. I will not let those pricks do the recall on my bike. They dont inspire confidence. Bike felt loose on the way home. Checked air pressure the next day and had 20 lbs. front and rear. Azz holes didn't even check it. Spent four hours cleaning and rubbing scuffs out of the paint the next day.

Your post reminds me of the day that I chose and bought my F6B. They had two 2015's there, one in Blue and one in Matte Silver.

There was a kid going around; wiping down all of the motorcycles on the floor with that Honda Spray polish. And was using the same rag; which was becoming quite filthy; on every motorcycle.

He gets to where I am at (I'm sitting on the Matte Silver bike; and he starts "cleaning" the blue F6B next to me; talking to me as he is working scratchy swirls deep into the blue paint of that poor motorcycle.

Since I was already getting ready to make my choice with the salesman near; I told him to not worry about cleaning the matter finish of the one that I was sitting on; since it takes a matte cleaner... not the Honda Spray polish. That kid's next target was the bike that I was sitting on.

...really liked the blue one though... and I may have picked it if that kid and his dirty rag wasn't present.

opas ride
10-30-2015, 10:29 AM
It is a crying shame that one purchases a $20,000 motorcycle in good faith then has to deal with dealers, that for the most part, have totally incompetent people to service it and do the right repairs....Honda has a serious issue with techs and service departments and apparently does not want to invest in any training and certification for these folks....Would you work on bikes for "crap wages" and lousy working conditions for very long???...I doubt it....Those of us like this old fart, that cannot do some work on our bikes, are really screwed unless we are lucky enough to find a dealer that has good people...Luckily, so far, I have one, but they are 125 miles away....Ride safe

shooter
10-30-2015, 03:50 PM
I wish they would give me the parts and let me sign a waiver. I would do the recall myself.

willtill
10-30-2015, 06:03 PM
I wish they would give me the parts and let me sign a waiver. I would do the recall myself.

+1