PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather power

jm21ddd15
10-17-2015, 08:41 PM
I've been riding in temps about 42-48 for the last few mornings. The B seems to really enjoy the cool temps. Seems to have more snap, when I give it the throttle. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but seems to run like a rocket in the cold air, as compared to the heat of the summer. Any one else ever notice this? :shrug:

BIGLRY
10-17-2015, 09:07 PM
I've been riding in temps about 42-48 for the last few mornings. The B seems to really enjoy the cool temps. Seems to have more snap, when I give it the throttle. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but seems to run like a rocket in the cold air, as compared to the heat of the summer. Any one else ever notice this? :shrug:Yes, even more so if it is a foggy morning or night. Cold air allows a tad more in the cylinders, the principle is that cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air, and wet air raises compression since a liquid can not be compressed thus a tad more hp in both cases.:301:

photodiver
10-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Yes, even more so if it is a foggy morning or night. Cold air allows a tad more in the cylinders, the principle is that cooler air has a higher density, thus containing more oxygen per volume unit than warmer air, and wet air raises compression since a liquid can not be compressed thus a tad more hp in both cases.:301:

They used to make a fogging kit to add moisture to your carb. Made the engine run better. Just had to add water now and then to a tank. I know someone that had one on a motor home years ago.

BIGLRY
10-17-2015, 10:39 PM
They used to make a fogging kit to add moisture to your carb. Made the engine run better. Just had to add water now and then to a tank. I know someone that had one on a motor home years ago.
In 1979 I ran one on a 1979 Kawi LTD1000 that I punched out to 1325cc with a gorilla block and welded crank also added a turbo, I built it purely for power, it handled like crap, but it was quick in the 1/4 mile. At 22psi boost I was making 165 hp at the rear wheel.
The water injection was activated by my boost gauge and only injected coolant into the intake manifold when on boost and if I was really running hot(lot of racing) I'd put Alcohol in the tank instead of water, Alcohol cools much better, but I'd go through it a lot faster too.
I road it to work for 2 years before going full drag with it. Here is a pic of it before I went with a Tracy one piece body, extended & beefed up the swing arm and front end, added an air shifter, lock-up clutch, drag slick and a few other things. I won a lot of bar bets with that scoot since it looked almost stock.:icon_lol:

willtill
10-18-2015, 05:21 AM
I've been riding in temps about 42-48 for the last few mornings. The B seems to really enjoy the cool temps. Seems to have more snap, when I give it the throttle. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but seems to run like a rocket in the cold air, as compared to the heat of the summer. Any one else ever notice this? :shrug:

Yep, combustion engines like cooler air. Much more sensed while on a motorcycle :yes:

There's a scientific formula for this event;

Cooler air + Motorcycle = rider happy :icon_wink:

marmilia
10-18-2015, 05:58 AM
Yes. I work nights and get off at 5am and the cool temps at that time of the day make for a noticeable increase in power and a fun ride home since there aint much traffic. It was 39 degrees out this morning and the 6 was running very good.... lol

blackmetoc
10-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Yep, combustion engines like cooler air. Much more sensed while on a motorcycle :yes:

There's a scientific formula for this event;

Cooler air + Motorcycle = rider happy :icon_wink:

You forgot "-sweat"