PDA

View Full Version : Cager Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care'

ths61
10-19-2015, 12:23 AM
The rider, Eric Sanders — who posted the video taken by a fellow traveler to Facebook shortly after it happened — said in the comments section that he suffered road rash and his girlfriend went to an intensive care unit in Texas after the incident.

Sanders begins to pass the car at about 1:40 in the video, only to have the driver swerve and knock both the rider and his passenger off of the motorcycle. As the video shows, the scene after the wreck is pretty urgent — fellow drivers pulling over to check on the couple as the two lay down on the side of the road, while the person filming approaches the man who hit the bike.

Driver swerves to hit passing motorcycle. (http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/driver-who-swerved-to-hit-a-motorcycle-i-dont-care-1737184460?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+jalopnik%2Ffull+%28Jalopnik%2 9)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L13Z7Aa7ZXQ

bob109
10-19-2015, 08:10 AM
Unfortunately for cycle riders there's more than road debris i.e. tire casings, stray mufflers, metal hangars, numerous pieces of wood and the likes to contend with on the road when riding. We have to literally have "eyes in our a$$" trying to keep safe and be ever aware of the unpredictable antics of "cagers":shock: This video adds a new dimension to the recklessness of a "outright a$$hole" who deliberately inflicted bodily harm to two individuals and then law enforcement wants to look the other way. Might have been different had the driver pointed a gun out the window and pulled the trigger. Actually he did the equivalent with his auto, turning it into a "deadly weapon". Over the last several years there have been instances where drivers have slammed into pedestrians at malls and other venues and the outrage could be heard across the land. What needs to occur here is for the video to go "viral" and get the attention of the national media. This "Jerk" has to learn a valuable lesson that when behind the wheel of his car he is responsible for "caring about those around him". To let this guy off the hook would only give him "license" to do it again:icon_doh:

I wonder what the reaction of law enforcement would have been had that been a Motorcycle Patrolman:shhh:

Steve 0080
10-19-2015, 08:59 AM
Who, What, When, and Where? I thought this was an old video... The car driver should go to jail for years ! The civil suit, if he had anything would have been worth $$$$$$$$....

stroguy
10-19-2015, 09:41 AM
Plenty to fault on both sides of the road here. First the old dude obviously does not have total control of his faculties and should have his license revoked for life. Should also spend some time in jail and suffer at the hands of a civil suit, there will be plenty of pain and suffering on the biker side. Criminally he cannot take law enforcement in his hands and be made to pay for this poor judgement.

The biker needs to have his license revoked as well for a certain period. Passing multiple vehicles after crossing a solid yellow is idiotic to start with. But, having a passenger and putting their health and life in jeopardy making an ignorant move like that is the highest level of irresponsibility. It will be easy to put all the blame on the cager, but the biker would not have been in that predicament if he had just been patient and waited for the broken yellow.

shooter
10-19-2015, 10:56 AM
You are exactly right Stro. Right now I have no less than fourelderly customers that don't need to be behind the wheel. I'm not insensitive but these people can't find my shop on occasion. I have one woman that has dimentia so bad she will make a half dozen appointments before she remembers one. And that's with me calling her on the day of. This lady also drives a small motorhome. Its getting worse out there guys. Like someone said you need eyes in your ass. I don't have as much fun riding as I used to because I have to be so diligent watching cagers. Seventeen year old girls texting is my worse enemy around here. They need to pass strict phone and texting laws in MO.

Steve 0080
10-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Plenty to fault on both sides of the road here. First the old dude obviously does not have total control of his faculties and should have his license revoked for life. Should also spend some time in jail and suffer at the hands of a civil suit, there will be plenty of pain and suffering on the biker side. Criminally he cannot take law enforcement in his hands and be made to pay for this poor judgement.

The biker needs to have his license revoked as well for a certain period. Passing multiple vehicles after crossing a solid yellow is idiotic to start with. But, having a passenger and putting their health and life in jeopardy making an ignorant move like that is the highest level of irresponsibility. It will be easy to put all the blame on the cager, but the biker would not have been in that predicament if he had just been patient and waited for the broken yellow.

I agree, but the car driver is not, judge,jury and executioner.!!! It is a civil ticket !

shooter
10-19-2015, 11:39 AM
You would hope that the rider would have more sense than that , but sometimes they don't. Like Steve said its not up to the car driver to police him.

MAYHEM01
10-19-2015, 11:58 AM
VERY MALICIOUS!!! The driver had no right whatsoever for doing that. Yes the Biker had crossed the double white lines to overtake but what rider on this forum does not brake the law on two wheels? from speeding, to in proper overtaking or whatever we do that does not conform to the law on the roadways. As bikers we have to put up with a lot of idiots out there, but no Driver should take the law into his or her own hands. And the nerve of the asshole saying he does not care.. Makes my blood boil!!...

dickiedeals
10-19-2015, 02:48 PM
This very thing happened to me on HWY28 when I was at the last Franklin Rally. Only I got shoved around 90 degrees by a black pickup. I gassed it and instead of going down it snapped back upright. I doubt riding skill had anything to do with it but by pure luck I didn't go down. Hind site is 20/20, I should of beat his ass and put him in the Hospital for trying to kill me...There are some crazy rednecks out there that don't care, that don't like motorcycles on their roads.He stated I shouldn't be on his road.There was no phone signal to call anyone so I rode off down the road with a scraped bent F6B..Just now I got a replacement crash bar..Going to start video taping all my rides so I can have evidence next time other than my word against theirs..........................Dickie

dickiedeals
10-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Its a good thing you are not a Judge...................................Dickie

stroguy
10-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Its a good thing you are not a Judge...................................Dickie

Unfortunately some licenses are handed out like candy. It's a privilege, not a right and sometimes daddy should take those privileges away. Drivers who break traffic laws are revenue generators and we couldn't dare disrupt municipal income. How many stories have we all heard of drunk drivers with multiple offenses are back on the road after fines and short license suspensions. In my eyes you have solidly displayed your inability to be a responsible citizen on the road. Whack his peepee your honor!

dickiedeals
10-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately some licenses are handed out like candy. It's a privilege, not a right and sometimes daddy should take those privileges away. Drivers who break traffic laws are revenue generators and we couldn't dare disrupt municipal income. How many stories have we all heard of drunk drivers with multiple offenses are back on the road after fines and short license suspensions. In my eyes you have solidly displayed your inability to be a responsible citizen on the road. Whack his peepee your honor!

So you have never broken a traffic law on a motorcycle?.................................Dickie

Hornblower
10-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Stro--I don't know what it's like in Texas but in our NC and TN mountains, double yellow lines are common on all the twisties and you have to make choices that are not always so black and white. Luckily, many of the cagers in our mountain areas show great courtesy to us by pulling over and letting us have our fun. Others can be going well under the posted speed limit and refuse to yield. So, your choice becomes either following this uncaring driver for a long way or look for a decent place to get by. That place will usually still be marked double yellow, unfortunately. So, with all due respect, I disagree with you the rider in that situation needs his license revoked and is an idiot. OTOH, maybe I'm just an idiot myself and don't realize it yet :yikes:.

dickiedeals
10-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Stro--I don't know what it's like in Texas but in our NC and TN mountains, double yellow lines are common on all the twisties and you have to make choices that are not always so black and white. Luckily, many of the cagers in our mountain areas show great courtesy to us by pulling over and letting us have our fun. Others can be going well under the posted speed limit and refuse to yield. So, your choice becomes either following this uncaring driver for a long way or look for a decent place to get by. That place will usually still be marked double yellow, unfortunately. So, with all due respect, I disagree with you the rider in that situation needs his license revoked and is an idiot. OTOH, maybe I'm just an idiot myself and don't realize it yet :yikes:.

Thank you Ken,My point exactly....Perhaps we are both law breakers who need our Licenses revoked according to Judge Sto............Dickie

stroguy
10-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Thank you Ken,My point exactly....Perhaps we are both law breakers who need our Licenses revoked according to Judge Sto............Dickie

Well you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I said. Did I say take away all licenses for any infraction? Don't believe I did. I break the law everytime I get on my bike as do you. But the seriousness of the offense should be considered when passing such a judgement as I detailed. Do you think this old man should be on the road while you or a friend or your kid is riding in his vicinity? You think he will learn his lesson with a $100 fine? "I don't care" should be ringing in a judges ear.

By the way.........IT'S JUDGE STRO!

stroguy
10-19-2015, 05:49 PM

I fully agree except for the last sentence. He's an idiot for putting his chick in harms way. Kill yourself with my blessings, but don't kill the poor passenger.

Hornblower
10-19-2015, 06:05 PM
I fully agree except for the last sentence. He's an idiot for putting his chick in harms way. Kill yourself with my blessings, but don't kill the poor passenger.

Guess I'm OK then...I never have a passenger :yes:

Wing'n it
10-19-2015, 06:17 PM
My post on another forum......
I don't think I ever could do that but it has crossed my mind as I have been passed by bikes doing wheelies, in a no passing lane. I'm pretty sure having the ability to NOT act on our feelings is actually what make us normal. I have watched that video several times and every time I swear I know exactly what that car driver is thinking as the bike is passing in a no passing zone and flying low and I bet he never intended to make contact with the bike but he did. Plus we have no way of knowing what was going on before the other bike with the camera caught up. Don't get me wrong I don't condone this in any way!

dickiedeals
10-19-2015, 06:31 PM
Well you don't seem to be able to comprehend what I said. Did I say take away all licenses for any infraction? Don't believe I did. I break the law everytime I get on my bike as do you. But the seriousness of the offense should be considered when passing such a judgement as I detailed. Do you think this old man should be on the road while you or a friend or your kid is riding in his vicinity? You think he will learn his lesson with a $100 fine? "I don't care" should be ringing in a judges ear.

By the way.........IT'S JUDGE STRO!

Sorry Stroguy.............We'll just agree to disagree...Some of what you say I agree and some not so much....Its all good......Dickie

Steve 0080
10-19-2015, 06:38 PM
OK...does anyone know when this happened?

ths61
10-19-2015, 06:52 PM
OK...does anyone know when this happened?

Here is another account stating it happened on Saturday (matching other reports).

NFAA Channel 8 ABC News Account (http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/2015/10/18/dps-investigating-motorcycle-wreck-caught-on-camera/74198878/)

Also, reports are stating the cager slowed to 40 MPH in a 65 MPH zone, so the passing cycles were not speeding.

Steve 0080
10-19-2015, 07:13 PM
"Also, reports are stating the cager slowed to 40 MPH in a 65 MPH zone, so the passing cycles were not speeding."

Soooooo the guy wanted to hit someone ! At least the media has picked it up...the guy should get what he deserves....maybe?

ths61
10-19-2015, 07:36 PM
UPDATE.... The old man was arrested today 10/19/2015 on 2 counts of Assault with a deadly weapon.

Steve 0080
10-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Goin to the pokey to get poked !!!!!

radi0chik
10-19-2015, 07:55 PM
The driver of the car has a rap sheet a mile long. Including but not limited to:

Terroristic Threat (convicted, 2007)
Reckless Driving (convicted, 2007)
Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (Felony, 3rd degree 1994)
Silent or abusive calls to 911 (deferred, 1993)
Assult - family violence (convicted, 1990)

So yeah. He's no saint.

shooter
10-19-2015, 08:30 PM
The truth comes out!!! Thanks Radio. I love it when the bad guy loses.

RickJ
10-19-2015, 08:56 PM
The driver of the car has a rap sheet a mile long. Including but not limited to:

Terroristic Threat (convicted, 2007)
Reckless Driving (convicted, 2007)
Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (Felony, 3rd degree 1994)
Silent or abusive calls to 911 (deferred, 1993)
Assult - family violence (convicted, 1990)

So yeah. He's no saint.

...and we say there was no warning when someone starts shooting or otherwise being a danger? We are so ^*cked as a country

BIGLRY
10-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Not in Caif. we stopped that, get three DUI in your life and the third one is a felony and you do up to 10 years in the grey bar hotel with a 1 year minimum, it's the law here and is followed. We don't mess around with drunk drivers in Calif.:icon_evil:

Side note: First DUI in Calif is about $15,649 in overall costs to the offender when it is all done and could be as much as $45,435.
if you are under 21 the penalties are even higher. The expense of an under-age-21 first-offense misdemeanor DUI is up to $22,492. .:yikes:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/14/autos/la-fi-hy-drunk-driving-conviction-cost-20130314
and
http://www.dmv.org/articles/real-cost-of-dui-in-california/

willtill
10-20-2015, 06:22 AM
Not in Caif. we stopped that, get three DUI in your life and the third one is a felony and you do up to 10 years in the grey bar hotel with a 1 year minimum, it's the law here and is followed. We don't mess around with drunk drivers in Calif.:icon_evil:

Side note: First DUI in Calif is about $15,649 in overall costs to the offender when it is all done and could be as much as $45,435.
if you are under 21 the penalties are even higher. The expense of an under-age-21 first-offense misdemeanor DUI is up to $22,492. .:yikes:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/14/autos/la-fi-hy-drunk-driving-conviction-cost-20130314
and

Wow! :clap2: Now if they could impose something like that for people driving; using cell phones and/or texting. .notworthy.

jm21ddd15
10-20-2015, 07:25 AM

and

Good to get the drunks off the road. Now, if we could only stop Governors/politicians from letting them out of jail, claiming "overcrowding", and non-violent charges. I say, make them serve their time!

Steve 0080
10-20-2015, 11:37 AM
I say , convert them to fish food !

I think the movie was Solvent Green ...Richard ______?

2015F6B
10-20-2015, 12:06 PM
...and we say there was no warning when someone starts shooting or otherwise being a danger? We are so ^*cked as a country

To RickJ: I take exception to your closing statement “We are so ^*cked as a country” Obviously you are not a veteran and have not served in the armed forces, and if you did, you should know better. I spent 24 months in south east Asia during the Vietnam conflict and was never so glad to get back on American soil after that experience. I still have nightmares about it. The grass isn’t always greener and people who make those kinds of comments don’t realize how good we have it here. Turn on the national news some night and take a look at how people have to live in other parts of the world, then tell us all again how “^*ucked” we are. It’s comments like that that keep me away from forums. Enough said . . . .

RickJ
10-20-2015, 05:20 PM
To RickJ: I take exception to your closing statement “We are so ^*cked as a country” Obviously you are not a veteran and have not served in the armed forces, and if you did, you should know better. I spent 24 months in south east Asia during the Vietnam conflict and was never so glad to get back on American soil after that experience. I still have nightmares about it. The grass isn’t always greener and people who make those kinds of comments don’t realize how good we have it here. Turn on the national news some night and take a look at how people have to live in other parts of the world, then tell us all again how “^*ucked” we are. It’s comments like that that keep me away from forums. Enough said . . . .

Thank-you for your service. My son, too has served in a number of conflicts both as a Marine and as a Diplomatic Security agent, my father saw more action than most in a Tank Destroyer Battalion all over africa and europe; I would never do or say anything to lessen the nobility of that service, nor would I wish to live anywhere else- I am not blind to the precious jewel we have in the founding documents of this country as well as the various character traits we have honored over the years...hard work, self-reliance, fairness, safety for persecuted- things distinct even the laws and constitution. BUT that doesn't mean that we don't have serious problems. Lately I am saddened by our loss of spiritual values, disregard for the law, erosion of freedoms, politics of identity over principles, and inability to call a spade a spade (figure of speech). The guy who ran that biker off the road had a demonstrable history of trouble- it's either fixable mental and he needs help or its psychotic and he needs to be removed from the herd. The current political climate precludes any of that and I don't see us heading in a sane direction. Maybe the better line would have been: If we don't make some changes this wonderful country will not be recognizable in a few generations...or less. Your service as well as my concerns can exist side by side and neither negates the other.

I had no desire to offend and if I did I apologize, I also stand by my observation. I'll be more careful in the future to be more aware of which forums on this site I express which opinions.

I just went back to edit my [original]post- and I can't seem to do so.

willtill
10-20-2015, 05:28 PM
By and large; the good outweighs the bad (or perceived bad) in America.

I too; have been deployed to some real shit holes on this earth. Anyone reading my post here (save for those whom know what I am speaking of); have never had it so good.

Be thankful for what you have. Others on this earth; would kill you and your family, just for a taste of it.

RickJ
10-20-2015, 05:43 PM
By and large; the good outweighs the bad (or perceived bad) in America.

I too; have been deployed to some real shit holes on this earth. Anyone reading my post here (save for those whom know what I am speaking of); have never had it so good.

Be thankful for what you have. Others on this earth; would kill you and your family, just for a taste of it.

amen

opas ride
10-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Amen to the "Good ole USA"...Two of my sons have served in the "hell holes" of Iran/Irag and Afganistan...One son lost his life in an industrial accident shorty after serving in Desert Storm, one is currently a Staff Sgt. in the Marines and is again deployed for the third time. Ask him about his love for America...My wife was born during the WW11 conflict in Germany and saw things she still has bad memories about....Yes, there is a lot wrong with this country, but if you don't like it, no one is stopping anyone from moving elsewhere..In my career with Ford I traveled a lot around the world and was always grateful to get back in the USA and count my "blessings"...Sorry for the "rant".....but.....

Amipro
10-20-2015, 09:11 PM
I say , convert them to fish food !

I think the movie was Solvent Green ...Richard ______?

It was Soylent Green, starring Charlton Heston. Love that flick (classic!).

Random one
10-20-2015, 10:46 PM
I think the cager needs to be re-educated by bikers at Sturgis and at least one bike week in Daytona. Putting him naked in stocks with cane poles handy for all of passersby. A day or two at each event should be enough.

stroguy
10-20-2015, 10:57 PM

and

Glad to hear Larry. But, do they lose their driving privileges for life? As a felon they will be a prohibited person under federal law and forfeit their right to posses firearms. My point being when you have identified as an irresponsible citizen with 2 tons of steel, how do we fine them, jail them but then after all of that consider them cured and let them drive again?

stroguy
10-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Wow! :clap2: Now if they could impose something like that for people driving; using cell phones and/or texting. .notworthy.

Yes sir!

stroguy
10-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Guess I'm OK then...I never have a passenger :yes:

You are good to go my friend and I will be right behind you...............if the wifey ain't not aboard.

stroguy
10-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Sorry Stroguy.............We'll just agree to disagree...Some of what you say I agree and some not so much....Its all good......Dickie

No problem. Dissent is an AOK thingy, as long as we can have a beer at the end of the day instead of 10 paces turn and shoot.

I can only count to 9.

shooter
10-21-2015, 06:54 AM
No problem. Dissent is an AOK thingy, as long as we can have a beer at the end of the day instead of 10 paces turn and shoot.

I can only count to 9.

Don't beat yourself up. At least that's a small improvement up from 8.

fxdl2051
10-21-2015, 11:57 AM
On tape yet, that should make the attorneys job pretty easy.

junkyarddog
10-21-2015, 12:30 PM
They said on the news the biker got 2 tickets...one for passing in a no passing zone and one for expired license.

ths61
10-21-2015, 12:56 PM
The motorcycle passenger may lose her arm.

Sanders (rider) walked away relatively unscathed, but Simpson (passenger) suffered a broken wrist and deep arm lacerations, and is facing a two-week hospital stay in Fort Worth with the possibility of amputation.

don-care-driver-arrested-swerving-couple-article-1.2404180 (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/don-care-driver-arrested-swerving-couple-article-1.2404180)

Bill1584
10-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Reading through this thread, it sounds like the consensus is that the old guy (Crum) did a bad thing, while the biker (Sanders) was doing an ok thing. Attempted murder, which it looked like to me, definitely trumps the double-yellow line crossing and multiple vehicle passing. So I guess I have to agree. No way does any relatively minor traffic infraction by the biker justify Crum intentionally swerving into the path of that bike. This fellow is obviously far worse than the average nutball sticking the finger at the biker[s] on the way by. So, hopefully he goes directly from jail to prison. With his priors, it could happen.

I just cannot get my head around the idea that it was all that simple. Each time I watched the video I cringed and hoped that this time through the biker would hold on for a second to evaluate the situation before going around the second car (S.E.E). Or go so frigging fast that no one could interfere. Or just wait a bit to pass. Something different, so that we would never have seen the footage. Hell he was already held up by the first vehicle long enough for the bike with the camera to catch up. No question whether Crum was completely at fault for the crash and injuries, but I can't help wondering if the opportunity for the assault might have been handed to him a little too freely.

ths61
10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
On tape yet, that should make the attorneys job pretty easy.

If he has an effective lawyer (like Johnnie Cochran), the incriminating evidence will be disallowed from admission into evidence to the criminal suit.

stroguy
10-21-2015, 05:19 PM
If he has effective lawyer (like Johnnie Cochran), the incriminating evidence will be disallowed from admission into evidence to the criminal suit.

That will not matter in a civil case. The young lady will be greatly compensated. If she loses her arm it may not be enough, but there are two parties here that are in deep doodoo. The old man firstly and mostly. If he is insured and current this will be a landslide settle outside of court win for her. She also can go after the bike driver she was holding on to. That double yellow line will be a noose around his insurance companies neck. That will be a bit tougher sell but most doable. I think the bike driver and the old man had better learn a new word.....TORT.

Random one
10-21-2015, 10:48 PM
That Old Armadillo slurping dog should be glad he did not pull that on most the bike riders I know. Roadside traffic court would be swift and unavoidable. No appeals, no probation, and no parole.