PDA

View Full Version : J & M fairing speakers?

Rikrok
08-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this upgrade? I have the entire bike torn apart and want to change anything that should be while accessible?

Thanks

GiddyupF6B
08-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this upgrade? I have the entire bike torn apart and want to change anything that should be while accessible?

Thanks

I installed them a couple of weeks ago after trying out some horrible sounding Polk's. I haven't had a chance to ride with them yet due to a recent surgery but I can tell you from the garage they sound much better than the stock speakers. They have a little more mid range and a little more bass. I can let you know how they sound while riding in a few days when I get out. They are a direct drop in replacement, total "plug n play". You don't need to do this while the bike is "torn apart", you can do it anytime. The front speaker grill pulls forward enough to replace the speakers without unhooking any wires or connections. It is easy enough to do anytime without taking the bike apart.

Rikrok
08-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks, I was hoping for a little more bass, not booming. I know that's not going to happen. But the stock ones seem very tinney.

srkeet
08-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Hey y'all,

Do we F6B owners even get the same speakers as the GL1800? My speakers sound as bad as the ones on my old 2002!

Giddyup, let us know if the improvement is worth the cost- what was your cost? And a speedy recovery to you!

srkeet

GiddyupF6B
08-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Hey y'all,

Do we F6B owners even get the same speakers as the GL1800? My speakers sound as bad as the ones on my old 2002!

Giddyup, let us know if the improvement is worth the cost- what was your cost? And a speedy recovery to you!

srkeet

The speakers on the F6 are in fact the same as the full Wing however they are upgraded and much improved since 2002. I had a chance to ride with the J&M's yesterday and they sound really good. As stated earlier they have a little more midrange and bass due to the larger cone (10mm's larger). I could hear them clearly at speed and didn't have to turn them up as loud as stock to hear them. With that being said for me the jury is still out and time will tell if these are worth it or not. They were approx. $100.

MSGT-R
08-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Hook also did an upgrade with Fosgate and an amplifier. Maybe he will chime in..

Bama Bagger
04-04-2014, 12:19 AM
The speakers on the F6 are in fact the same as the full Wing however they are upgraded and much improved since 2002. I had a chance to ride with the J&M's yesterday and they sound really good. As stated earlier they have a little more midrange and bass due to the larger cone (10mm's larger). I could hear them clearly at speed and didn't have to turn them up as loud as stock to hear them. With that being said for me the jury is still out and time will tell if these are worth it or not. They were approx. $100.

Hey GiddyupF6B,

Been since August you last reported on the J&M Speaker upgrades. I am looking at those along with some XTC Foam Speaker Baffles to increase my sound and cut out the bugs and debris collecting in the speaker grills. Now that you've had the J&M's for an extended time period, are you happy with them?

Please advise...

GiddyupF6B
04-04-2014, 05:21 AM
Hey GiddyupF6B,

Been since August you last reported on the J&M Speaker upgrades. I am looking at those along with some XTC Foam Speaker Baffles to incredefinitelmy sound and cut out the bugs and debris collecting in the speaker grills. Now that you've had the J&M's for an extended time period, are you happy with them?

Please advise...

I like them a lot! Much better than stock. I definitely recommend them. I put some filler in behind the speakers but not too much so the sound could still amplify. Next winter's project is definitely rear speakers and an upgraded amp.

Bama Bagger
04-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Hey GiddyupF6B,

Thanks so much for answering so quickly. One last question, what size are those J&M speakers? 5" or 5 1/2"? I need to know for the correct sizing for the XTC Baffles.

Thanks in advance...

GiddyupF6B
04-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Hey GiddyupF6B,

Thanks so much for answering so quickly. One last question, what size are those J&M speakers? 5" or 5 1/2"? I need to know for the correct sizing for the XTC Baffles.

Thanks in advance...

They are the stock size. Only difference is the size of the inner cone. I would check the J&M site for the exact specs, I don't know them off the top of my head.

Bama Bagger
04-04-2014, 05:33 PM
They are the stock size. Only difference is the size of the inner cone. I would check the J&M site for the exact specs, I don't know them off the top of my head.

GiddyupF6B,

Yeah I checked already but they don't have the size listed. Thanks again!

GiddyupF6B
04-04-2014, 06:36 PM
GiddyupF6B,

Yeah I checked already but they don't have the size listed. Thanks again!
Just Google'd it.....
9 x 5.5 x 3 inches

http://www.amazon.com/J-M-Performance-Speakers-FRSU-GL1518/dp/B0041QMBTW#productDetails

Dave Ritsema
04-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Hey GiddyupF6B,

Been since August you last reported on the J&M Speaker upgrades. I am looking at those along with some XTC Foam Speaker Baffles to increase my sound and cut out the bugs and debris collecting in the speaker grills. Now that you've had the J&M's for an extended time period, are you happy with them?

Please advise...

I have already noticed some debris behind my speaker grill. (Little piece of paper or something) Do the grills just kind of pry off to get to this little sucker? I had no idea they were that open to the road, never had anything like this with my Valkyrie Interstate.

GiddyupF6B
04-06-2014, 08:43 AM
I have already noticed some debris behind my speaker grill. (Little piece of paper or something) Do the grills just kind of pry off to get to this little sucker? I had no idea they were that open to the road, never had anything like this with my Valkyrie Interstate.

The speaker grills are attached to one big piece that comes off in the center under where your key slot is. You can lift up using both hands and gently pull up on the left and right side on the key slot from underneath. It comes up easily just be gentle. Then the 2 sides of the speaker grills you simply pull forward on the upper corners gently. The whole assembly will then be loose. You can't take it back too far because your tweeters are still plugged in so be careful how far back you pull it. You won't need to unhook the tweeters to just get the grills cleaned off, there is plenty of room to get your hand in there. It will keep happening however......

DJ TONY G
04-07-2014, 05:41 PM
I also installed 2 - Kicker - Hideaway 8" Subwoofer with Enclosure and Integrated 150W Amplifier from Best Buy and it completed my sound system.

Here's the link for more information,
http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway

The nice part of this is the I can removed them when I go on long trips and I need the extra room.

Bama Bagger
04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
I also installed 2 - Kicker - Hideaway 8" Subwoofer with Enclosure and Integrated 150W Amplifier from Best Buy and it completed my sound system.

Here's the link for more information,
http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway

The nice part of this is the I can removed them when I go on long trips and I need the extra room.

Hey DJ TONY G,

That's pretty radical. :yikes: Got any pictures you can post? Do you place on rear seat or in one of the saddle bags? I assume you connect to the rear speaker outs?

Please advise...

Bama Bagger
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Dave,

Also one of reasons to install the XTC Speaker Baffles besides tightened up bass response and waterproofing. :yes: My 2001 Valkyrie Interstate never had the dirt and bug issues either! :icon_doh:

stepbill
04-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Dave,

Also one of reasons to install the XTC Speaker Baffles besides tightened up bass response and waterproofing. :yes: My 2001 Valkyrie Interstate never had the dirt and bug issues either! :icon_doh:

So what size are you getting, the 6 X 9 and where are you getting yours from? I'm probally going to install my helibars this weekend and may add those at that time.

Bama Bagger
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
stepbill,

From what I can tell the front speakers are 5 1/2" so when I replace with the new J&M's I'll be using the 5" to 5 1/2" XTC Speaker Baffles I bought on eBay for @$9.00! I've used them in every automotive install I've done over the past 20 years or so...always been a good sound! Plus protects against moisture and dust... :clap2:

GiddyupF6B
04-07-2014, 07:10 PM
stepbill,

From what I can tell the front speakers are 5 1/2" so when I replace with the new J&M's I'll be using the 5" to 5 1/2" XTC Speaker Baffles I bought on eBay for @$9.00! I've used them in every automotive install I've done over the past 20 years or so...always been a good sound! Plus protects against moisture and dust... :clap2:

I replied to your question days ago telling you they were 5.5 inches.........stock size.

Bama Bagger
04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
I replied to your question days ago telling you they were 5.5 inches.........stock size.

Yes sir got it! Thanks so much!!! :biggthumpup:

Westernbiker
04-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Just installed the J&M speakers last night, took a whole 30 minutes maybe and they do sound better than stock. Understand they are NOT louder, as I am still on the same volume setting as the stock ones but they don't sound as tinny. For about $100.00 I think they are worth it IMHO.

DJ TONY G
04-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Hey DJ TONY G,

That's pretty radical. :yikes: Got any pictures you can post? Do you place on rear seat or in one of the saddle bags? I assume you connect to the rear speaker outs?

Please advise...

no pictures. sorry
I put one of each bag and used the rear speakers left and right.

Bama Bagger
04-10-2014, 06:01 PM
no pictures. sorry

You are running one or two? How well does the bass transmit out of the closed saddle bag? Inquiring minds want to know! :popcorn:

DJ TONY G
04-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Two (one in each bag) i took off the rubber seal and it sounds better.

Scotrod
04-21-2014, 10:13 AM
J & M Fairing speaker for our F6B's: https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSPU-GL06 (A prior link to Amazon did not have the ~current~ part number for F6B fairing speakers)

CaptRob
04-21-2014, 08:56 PM
no pictures. sorry

Does it rattle and buzz a lot? would you do it again the same way? Thanks for your shared experience

Bama Bagger
04-23-2014, 02:29 PM
+1 Do you need two or can one be effective?

DJ TONY G
04-23-2014, 08:20 PM
It rattles a little. I did two because I wanted to balance the bike.

Yes I would do it again.

SoCal Rich
05-25-2014, 07:07 PM
I put a Fosgate amplifier and Polk speakers in my Kawasaki Vaquero and it sounds incredible. Now I just got an F6B and I don't like the stereo, so I'll probably try to move the Fosgate and Polks to the F6B. If it works and sounds good, I'll report back. Will be a few weeks, I need my service manual before I start opening her up!

Stress
06-29-2014, 03:48 PM
I put a Fosgate amplifier and Polk speakers in my Kawasaki Vaquero and it sounds incredible. Now I just got an F6B and I don't like the stereo, so I'll probably try to move the Fosgate and Polks to the F6B. If it works and sounds good, I'll report back. Will be a few weeks, I need my service manual before I start opening her up!

Any progress on this Rich?

CoCoKola
07-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Love this thread. One question that I haven't found an answer: what is the stock amp power output? 40Watts peak @4Ohms?

Jimmytee
07-18-2014, 07:01 AM
So I found this thread looking for anything that others have done. I think the stock sound is ok, but last night I got on my Valkyrie and it only confirms that I will have to do something. Seat and other things first. I have a Valkyrie Standard with a Woody's fairing ,, where I'm running 4) Kicker 5.25" speakers in the fairing and 2) 6.5" Kicker speakers in the saddlebags. They are powered by a Kenwood amplifier, and sourced to a Kenwood head unit. To say it rocks is an understatement. I'll be looking in how I can get similar audio performance in my new F6B. One of my first stops will be a guy I know who does a lot of custom audio for bikes. He steered me right with the low profile Kenwood amp I went with and I'm pretty sure he probably has some ideas for this F6B. I've got to take care of the basics first, like seat, backrest and other things. When I first took the F6B for a ride, I came back and thought , the sound is not too bad. Last night, I took my wife,for the first ride on the F6B. We just rode out to a restaurant. She had the death grip(no passenger backrest). After dinner, she waited ,while I went home and got the Valkyrie. Yeah, I'm going to upgrade this audio system.:icon_mrgreen: So far, I've only seen some who have put in the J&M speakers. I'll probably look into Kicker or something else with a good amplifier. We'll see.

CoCoKola
07-19-2014, 12:25 PM
So I found this thread looking for anything that others have done. I think the stock sound is ok, but last night I got on my Valkyrie and it only confirms that I will have to do something. Seat and other things first. I have a Valkyrie Standard with a Woody's fairing ,, where I'm running 4) Kicker 5.25" speakers in the fairing and 2) 6.5" Kicker speakers in the saddlebags. They are powered by a Kenwood amplifier, and sourced to a Kenwood head unit. To say it rocks is an understatement. I'll be looking in how I can get similar audio performance in my new F6B. One of my first stops will be a guy I know who does a lot of custom audio for bikes. He steered me right with the low profile Kenwood amp I went with and I'm pretty sure he probably has some ideas for this F6B. I've got to take care of the basics first, like seat, backrest and other things. When I first took the F6B for a ride, I came back and thought , the sound is not too bad. Last night, I took my wife,for the first ride on the F6B. We just rode out to a restaurant. She had the death grip(no passenger backrest). After dinner, she waited ,while I went home and got the Valkyrie. Yeah, I'm going to upgrade this audio system.:icon_mrgreen: So far, I've only seen some who have put in the J&M speakers. I'll probably look into Kicker or something else with a good amplifier. We'll see.

I am thinking i definitely need more than a drop-in replacement as well. What was the low profile amp he suggested? I can start looking at options as well. keep us posted!

Hornblower
07-19-2014, 12:42 PM
J & M Fairing speaker for our F6B's: https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=FSPU-GL06 (A prior link to Amazon did not have the ~current~ part number for F6B fairing speakers)

Looks to me like this Amazon listing is for the speakers we need:

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Performance-Fairing-Speakers-FSPU-GL06/dp/B001AWHZJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405791368&sr=8-1&keywords=J%26M+FSPU-GL06

What do you think?

Scotrod
07-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Looks correct to me. Been following the prices on these and they increase when fewer units are 'in stock',,, decrease when they get more in,,,

Add a trinket or 2 to your order from Wingstuff to get free shipping and their price is good:

http://wingstuff.com/products/4171-performance-fairing-speakers?from_search=1

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Think I will go Polk Audio on the Black bike stereo mod. Have had great luck with them on other bike systems. The overall wattage they handle and the RMS value available, is hard to beat.
J

Jimmytee
07-19-2014, 09:48 PM
I am thinking i definitely need more than a drop-in replacement as well. What was the low profile amp he suggested? I can start looking at options as well. keep us posted!
Keep in mind, you understand the audio system I was talking about is on my Valkyrie, but thisis the amp I used.http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=540774

That price is cheaper than I bought it for. I paid $199 over a year ago and there is a Amazon has it over $200 right now. I was able to fit it inside the Woody's Fairing on my Valk. I run 4) 5.25" Kickers up front,2 on each channel wired in parallel presenting a 2 ohm load to the amp for 100 watts RMS at each front channel. I run the two rear channels to the 6.5" Kickers in the bags . 75 watts RMS at 4 ohm each channel.

I'll be looking into uprgrading/customizing the audio on the F6B in the near future. Got to work on seats and stuff first.:icon_rolleyes:

Here is some shots of my Valk and F6B