PDA

View Full Version : Not for the timid

Rikrok
08-10-2013, 08:10 AM
I spent the better part of the last few nights tearing the bike down for paint. The monstrous service guide only took me so far. Basically I kept removing fasteners until I got to bare bike. The trick is to get it all back together. I may need to request a pic or 2 of an assembled section of bike. At this point, I scanning the forum for any upgrades or improvements that I may want to handle while it sits in this state.

52edub
08-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Is removing the rear cover hard? It looks like double sided tape is used, is that right?

Phantom
08-10-2013, 08:20 AM
To reassemble ... patience will be your best bet :icon_wink:

On a side note is that a custom painted White Clown Shoe in the back ? If so, one of my favorite cars.

Rikrok
08-10-2013, 09:30 AM
The top rear cover just snaps on. There are some Velcro strips, but I think they are just there to stop any squeak.

The Viper still wears the factory paint job of white with blue stripes.

bobbyf6b
08-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Looks fun. Not. :icon_wink:

What's under that plastic cover on the back? People keep asking me if the back of the bike opens up to a trunk.

Rikrok
08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
The audio module sits under the black rubber cover.

Looks fun. Not. :icon_wink:

What's under that plastic cover on the back? People keep asking me if the back of the bike opens up to a trunk.

Memphian
08-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I spent the better part of the last few nights tearing the bike down for paint. The monstrous service guide only took me so far. Basically I kept removing fasteners until I got to bare bike. The trick is to get it all back together. I may need to request a pic or 2 of an assembled section of bike. At this point, I scanning the forum for any upgrades or improvements that I may want to handle while it sits in this state.

What color have you chosen?

yellow rex
08-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Rikrok would you do this again or is it cheaper to pay 2-2500$
for a turnkey job with a two week turn around time.

yellow rex
08-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Rikrok
08-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I would do again, although I haven't suffered thru reassembly. As far as cheaper, not sure yet, although I will know what quality of paint job I will be getting.

yellow rex
08-11-2013, 12:02 PM
You know the good thing about doing it yourself you know
if tabs break or anything when a shop does it you never
know until you work on it yourself, and if you work on snap
together parts something will break eventually, I work on door motor
and dash panels at work in the automotive field, the problem is most
never try to correct a mistake and they never tell you about the problem.

Pedro66
08-11-2013, 12:26 PM
I would do again, although I haven't suffered thru reassembly. As far as cheaper, not sure yet, although I will know what quality of paint job I will be getting.

If you have space and time it's an interesting journey I always enjoy stripping and rebuilding a new model