PDA

View Full Version : Throttle problems on my F6B

seadog
10-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Evidently I have a bad case of excessive throttle use on my ride. Just took it down for it last service before winter sets in and the bike has 7000 miles on it and the rear tire is very close to the wear bars. Wore right out in 7000 miles. I am also very meticulous on keeping my air pressure right where its suppose to be so it wasn't a low pressure air problem. Just excessive acceleration, probably some right wrist trouble I think. Oh well it will have a new rear tire in the spring and see how long that one lasts.:clap2:

Steve 0080
10-20-2015, 11:13 AM
If you are having wrist issues...I might suggest going DARKSIDE this will solve the issue !!!

shooter
10-20-2015, 11:21 AM
Some people won't agree with this but 7000 ain't bad. I don't get 5000 on my 9. Same problem as you. Right wrist twist excessiveness.

shooter
10-20-2015, 11:22 AM
If you are having wrist issues...I might suggest going DARKSIDE this will solve the issue !!!

There you go , starting shyt again.:nono:

Steve 0080
10-20-2015, 11:30 AM
:icon_frown:

Phantom
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

A very popular alternative to the Bridgestone G704 with many positive reviews ....

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat 195/55R16

F6B1911
10-20-2015, 11:51 AM
I thought it was the Michigan roads.

jerrym
10-20-2015, 11:54 AM
I did run mind 10,000 miles but the rear one was past the wear bars. I do ride pretty fast most of the time. A lot of 80 mile an hour on long trips. I have Dorn tire monitoring and run my tire pressure about 2 pounds over manufactures specs. I also have mounted on both wheels the centramatic wheel balancers to be sure tires are always balanced. Most of the people that get the 15,000 and 18,000 miles do not run that fast. I could never get any more than 10,000 on my 2008 or 2012 Gold Wing and some times I would change the rear at 8,000.

seadog
10-20-2015, 12:45 PM

You don't use a screwdriver to drive in a nail. I am a firm believer in the right tool for the job at hand. A motorcycle needs a motorcycle tire on it, it is designed to do the job at hand and like shooter said, that is actually normal wear for us guy that had M109R's as I never saw anything over that mileage on the Suzuki either, and I still had the same right wrist twisting the throttle on that one also.:clap2:

wjduke
10-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Some people won't agree with this but 7000 ain't bad. I don't get 5000 on my 9. Same problem as you. Right wrist twist excessiveness.

I used to get 10,000 out of my 9 rears....of course, everyone said I rode like a grandma. I would disagree, although I saw some crazy shyte some guys pulled that I wouldn't. Then I got hit by a car anyway :banghead:

Steve 0080
10-20-2015, 02:01 PM
You don't use a screwdriver to drive in a nail. I am a firm believer in the right tool for the job at hand. A motorcycle needs a motorcycle tire on it, it is designed to do the job at hand and like shooter said, that is actually normal wear for us guy that had M109R's as I never saw anything over that mileage on the Suzuki either, and I still had the same right wrist twisting the throttle on that one also.:clap2:

Don't knock what you have not tried !!!

seadog
10-20-2015, 02:49 PM
Don't knock what you have not tried !!!

No one will ever convince me that a car tire is built to handle curves and the excessive lean angles of a motorcycle, I have seen some wrecks with guys on curves with a car tire on the back end and its simple because of the way the car tire is built and the way the motorcycle tire is built. You darksider can ride on, I don't have a problem with a car tire on your bikes, but I do have a problem with a car tire on my bike. Just saying and it is JMHO.

cosborn
10-20-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm about to put on a couple of new tyres today in fact. I'm going to go for the original ones again. The front tyre needs changing but i think i could squeeze another 3-4000km out of the rear. They have done just on 22000kms so i'm pretty happy with them.

Chris

:icon_lol:

Steve 0080
10-20-2015, 06:42 PM
The OEM's are great!!!

shooter
10-20-2015, 08:22 PM
I used to get 10,000 out of my 9 rears....of course, everyone said I rode like a grandma. I would disagree, although I saw some crazy shyte some guys pulled that I wouldn't. Then I got hit by a car anyway :banghead:

Wayne I admit to being an aggressive rider. I don't take the corners as hard as I used to but I still like to go fast quickly. I really like a good drag race. I'm 57 but when I swing a leg over my 9 I'm 20 again. My body knows I'm 57 but my mind still thinks I'm 20. The two argue with each other all the time.

stroguy
10-20-2015, 08:30 PM
I'll bet the old man can pummel the whipper snapper.

shooter
10-20-2015, 08:35 PM
No one will ever convince me that a car tire is built to handle curves and the excessive lean angles of a motorcycle, I have seen some wrecks with guys on curves with a car tire on the back end and its simple because of the way the car tire is built and the way the motorcycle tire is built. You darksider can ride on, I don't have a problem with a car tire on your bikes, but I do have a problem with a car tire on my bike. Just saying and it is JMHO.

If you saw a wreck with a car tire on the rear , and I know you have cause I know you wouldn't just say it , the tire probably wasn't at fault. Unless the tire was over/under inflated. Most likely the guy was riding over his head. I can lean my B over till it pushes my pegs up , riding two up. I don't see how you can ask more of a tire. I run a Michelin Alpin. I've seen a lot of MC wrecks. 99.9% of them with MC tires. Was it the tires fault? Doubtful. Most MC wrecks that don't involve another vehicle are operator error. Road conditions shouldn't be much of a factor. You never over ride the conditions if you're smart. So I'm not buying that at CT on a MC caused a wreck. With all respect Seadog I call foul on that one.

MisterB
10-20-2015, 09:55 PM
If you saw a wreck with a car tire on the rear , and I know you have cause I know you wouldn't just say it , the tire probably wasn't at fault. Unless the tire was over/under inflated. Most likely the guy was riding over his head. I can lean my B over till it pushes my pegs up , riding two up. I don't see how you can ask more of a tire. I run a Michelin Alpin. I've seen a lot of MC wrecks. 99.9% of them with MC tires. Was it the tires fault? Doubtful. Most MC wrecks that don't involve another vehicle are operator error. Road conditions shouldn't be much of a factor. You never over ride the conditions if you're smart. So I'm not buying that at CT on a MC caused a wreck. With all respect Seadog I call foul on that one.
With all the wrecks that are recorded nowadays it was just a matter of time. Maybe a more extreme alternative should be temporarily adopted so that going back to a CT seems like a sensible thing to do.
Tractor tires?
Then it will be "At least he's riding a CT and not one of those d4mn tractor tires!"

Haha, I looked up the Michelin Primacy run-flat on google and clicked images, only a couple pics of it mounted on cars, most shots on GL1800.

Jimmytee
10-20-2015, 10:12 PM

Just don't tell this guy

or this guy

or this guy

All three friends of mine and there are several others. I run bike tires myself, but I ride with these guys and others and can tell you they do just fine.:yes: Rode with 2 of them this past weekend in the Smokies.

wjduke
10-21-2015, 04:26 AM
Wayne I admit to being an aggressive rider. I don't take the corners as hard as I used to but I still like to go fast quickly. I really like a good drag race. I'm 57 but when I swing a leg over my 9 I'm 20 again. My body knows I'm 57 but my mind still thinks I'm 20. The two argue with each other all the time.

I'm hoping to feel 20 again at some point! It might happen next week, from what I heard yesterday. A moped right now would put me in my 40's.

Wing'n it
10-21-2015, 06:33 AM
I thought it was the Michigan roads.

Indiana roads bend rims!.......

wjduke
10-21-2015, 06:52 AM
If anyone has worse roads than us, then they have to be almost undriveable. A friend did a gopro video of a ride and it was barely watchable. The winter freeze and spring thaw does a number on them.

DarkKnt
10-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Looking at the 3 photos of dark siders, I suppose the reason it works so well on the 'Wing is the fact that the bike can't really generate "excessive" lean angles.... Bits are dragging well before the tire gets too far over on the sidewall. I don't think they'd do so well on anything sportier...

shooter
10-22-2015, 07:44 PM
You're right , they wouldn't work too good on a sport bike. At the same time I'm not sure you could tell the difference between the stock stones and an Alpin if you didn't look underneath on the B.

seadog
10-23-2015, 10:01 AM

I was really referring to the fact that when up on its edge a CT wasn't meant to do that. It usually has help from 3 others on the car to remain as flat as possible to provide the biggest contact patch for a heavy automobile, it is purpose built for that. The motorcycle tire on the other hand provide the best contact patch at extreme lean angles, mainly because it is purpose built to perform in those conditions, and I still don't have a problem with you running a car tire on your motorcycle. But you will never see one on mine. JMHO

six2go
10-23-2015, 10:42 AM
I've never ridden on a car tire(on my bike)and probably never will. However, I'm always open to something new and different and may try one someday. Depends on what kind of mileage I get from the MC tires.

Anyway, here's a video of a CT being run on an 1800 Wing. There are many more to be seen. This is just one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNDo7o1d6Q

seadog
10-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Just don't tell this guy

or this guy

or this guy

All three friends of mine and there are several others. I run bike tires myself, but I ride with these guys and others and can tell you they do just fine.:yes: Rode with 2 of them this past weekend in the Smokies.

I didn't say they didn't do curves, I said their design was not made to do curves and excessive lean angles. That is a whole different story from my statement what your trying to show me. I don't care if you can ride a car tire thru the curves, I just stated that I would never put a car tire on my motorcycle. I watched a guy go down with a car tire on his motorcycle and it wasn't because he was being an idiot and going too fast. Its just not for my bike./

Phantom
10-25-2015, 04:53 PM
:icon_mrgreen:

Here is someone else with tires that don't last, serious throttle problem .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZuobUySaE

Cleaver1
10-25-2015, 06:55 PM
I got 14000 out of my rear and 17000 out of my front, could easily have got another 1000 maybe 2000 but I was planning on a long trip so I changed them out. Second set same thing changed out the rear at 28000 (14000) on the tire, could have went another 1000 or 2000. the front is still on at 30000 (13000 on tire) and it still looks good. Average rider, spirited country roads and 80mph on the freeway.

roland
10-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Looking at the 3 photos of dark siders, I suppose the reason it works so well on the 'Wing is the fact that the bike can't really generate "excessive" lean angles.... Bits are dragging well before the tire gets too far over on the sidewall. I don't think they'd do so well on anything sportier...
I came from a 1400 Concours everyone on the connie forum talked $hit about me putting a ct. on my bike.... I was getting 3-4000 miles on lots of different mc tires. I got 12000 miles on the 205/40 car tire on the connie.... Rode the dragon and got lots of nice pcx. of just the edge of the tire on the ground.... Now I am the proud owner of a 14 f6b. The connie was stupid fast but no where near a comfortable as the wing. Right now I have 6800 miles on the stock wing tires and am tickled to death they still look great. I will really think about putting a ct. on the wing.