PDA

View Full Version : Just joined the forum and have questions

oldman
10-20-2015, 01:37 PM
I'm brand new to the forum, but not new to motorcycling. I've been riding for over 30 years, and I guess in many ways I am an "old timer" since I am 72 as well. But riding makes me feel 32 again, and I'm sure many on the forum know what I mean. I currently have a Triumph Thunderbird but I'm seriously interested in getting the F6b, or possibly a Goldwing. I had the chance just to sit on a new F6b at the dealer and it just felt right. It was the Deluxe version, and since that includes a passenger back rest (a must have in my opinion) and cruise control (at the time of my list for what I wish my current bike had), I really got excited. I wish I could have taken a demo ride right then, but that will have to wait. Some of the questions I have, to which I will greatly appreciate your answers, are:
-- why an F6b and not a Goldwing?
-- my current bike is 750 pounds, am I likely to really notice the higher weight of the F6b?
-- other than a better windscreen, are there any mods or extras that you feel are truly critical right from the start?
-- if you came to the F6b from a Goldwing, how much do you miss the reverse gear?

Looking forward to hearing from those in the know about this bike. Thanks in advance.

Cobraguy
10-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Oldman, first welcome. I have an 02 Goldwing and a 15 F6B. Our 2015 F6B Deluxe is the wifes. You will notice the weight when you have to back it up. Pulling upright off the side stand takes less effort than my 650 Vstrom. Once your rolling the F6B feels light and nimble, granted there is a sense of large mass but the effort to control it is light. For anything over 100 miles I'll take my Goldwing over anything but thats me. Our F6B has been modded to fit my wife. Bars are moved up, back, and in, and the bike is lowered 1.75", also has Kury mini boards. My knees end up too bent for a comfortable long ride. She absolutely loves the bike. Her previuos bike was a 13 Honda CTX700 which has become my commuter.

bob109
10-20-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm brand new to the forum, but not new to motorcycling. I've been riding for over 30 years, and I guess in many ways I am an "old timer" since I am 72 as well. But riding makes me feel 32 again, and I'm sure many on the forum know what I mean. I currently have a Triumph Thunderbird but I'm seriously interested in getting the F6b, or possibly a Goldwing. I had the chance just to sit on a new F6b at the dealer and it just felt right. It was the Deluxe version, and since that includes a passenger back rest (a must have in my opinion) and cruise control (at the time of my list for what I wish my current bike had), I really got excited. I wish I could have taken a demo ride right then, but that will have to wait. Some of the questions I have, to which I will greatly appreciate your answers, are:
-- why an F6b and not a Goldwing?
-- my current bike is 750 pounds, am I likely to really notice the higher weight of the F6b?
-- other than a better windscreen, are there any mods or extras that you feel are truly critical right from the start?
-- if you came to the F6b from a Goldwing, how much do you miss the reverse gear?

Looking forward to hearing from those in the know about this bike. Thanks in advance.

I'm 66 years old and not new to riding! 30 months ago I purchased my F6B and after three months of owner ship I penned the attached observations of the 6!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?566-Three-Months-Into-The-F6B

Nothing has changed in that time and with just over 40K miles on the clock I'm still amazed at how nimble and well mannered the 840 lb F6B is. Its low center of gravity is remarkable compared to other "heavy cruisers" I've owned. There is not a doubt in my mind that I'll have the 6 for some time. IMHO its hard to improve on near perfection:icon_wink:

opas ride
10-20-2015, 04:01 PM
I am an old guy myself, 76 in a couple of months, and truly enjoy the F6B..Having ridden both a Goldwing and owned a Victory Vision Tour, I personally preferred the Vic..Lower seat, better wind protection, cool long floorboards, not as top heavy, although some would argue this point, and handled better overall.....But, neither is a match for the F6B for me now...The 6 is lighter, seems more nimble, with an after-market windshield has better wind protection,( Baggershield), smooth, fast, fits me, with the Mustang lower seat, just fine and is a joy to ride..I no longer ride two-up so extra bag/trunk space is not needed and I really never used all the "farkles and extra bells and whistles on the GW or Vision....I think you will be very happy with the F6B, unless you ride two-up a lot and need to keep your passenger happier....Ride safe

nonseven
10-20-2015, 04:55 PM
I think it comes down to - if you need the extra space in the trunk and the fancy passenger seat.

If you don't, you'll be rewarded with a bike with better low speed handling than the full GW. If you were going to take a Gold Wing and lower its center of gravity, you'd chop off weight high up which is exactly what they did by taking off the trunk.

shooter
10-20-2015, 09:41 PM
Oldman , I would say that at stock height if you have a 32 inch inseam and decent leg strength you should be OK. The bike handles 200 lbs lighter than it is. However it is a heavy bike and you don't want to be up on your toes at a red light. Some do but its not the ideal condition. But like everyone says she handles like a dream under power. Light and nimble through the curves. Good luck on your decision.

Old Ryder
10-21-2015, 06:45 AM
Another 60 year old coot here and I agree with everybody else. I have absolutely no interest in a full Wing, but the F6B flips my light switch to full voltage. I have the comfort of a full tour bike while it certainly does not ride or handle like one. I owned an older Valkyrie Interstate and Ultra classic and ----this may sound silly to some---I got tired of trying to throw my size 12 boot 20 feet in the air with my gut on the tank just to clear the trunk and I really hated pulling my knee into my chest to get the heel over the saddle. Add that to the fact that the B does not handle at all like it looks with a very low center of gravity and just about the same power as a sub compact automobile. In other words, it looks big, bulky and heavy until you get moving and find out that it is not. Could not say the same for the Valkyrie or Ultra. Don't know about the full Wing.

Battoo
10-21-2015, 04:53 PM
I have been on a wing now for a little more than a year and a half , Love it , Just got the wife a F6B she seems to love it , we had it lowered at the dealer Expensive , but we had a 300 mile ride home and I wanted her to feel comfortable , we have added, a klockwerks 14 tinted flare windshield . kuryakin grips and Ergo 3 hiway pegs had the seat modded , narrower and lower , Also just got a set of Cobra 6 two 6 pipes waiting to install She has allready said this will be the last bike

cosborn
10-21-2015, 05:18 PM
I've had a number of very nice bikes since the late 60s, but i love my F6B

Chris

Oh by the way oldman (sic) welcome to the forum

'gw-smiley'

Texas TC
10-21-2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome. I am 67 and have been riding over 50 years. The F6B is the best, most fun to ride, motorcycle I have ever owned. I had two full Gold Wings after a long series of 10 Harleys prior to this bike. The full Wings always felt cramped in riding position and top heavy. The F6B takes care of both of those issues. I have almost 32000 miles on mine and enjoy it more every time I ride it. The windshield change is a must. I have had the Honda tall and now F4 Custom. I also prefer the Mustang seat with dropped pegs from the mini board setup. Hghway pegs are nice on longer highway adventures. In my opinion, the Deluxe package is a bargain. I use all the included accessories all the time. I really believe you will love the F6B when you ride it. It feels much lighter than it actually weighs and handles like a sport bike ( for old guys).

GaTeach
10-21-2015, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Teach

VStarRider
10-21-2015, 07:19 PM
My thoughts are basically the same as everyone else here, except I am 39 and have only been riding for five years. I considered a used full Wing but, as others have said, the seating position is not as comfortable as the slightly more laid back position of the F6B. The full Wing has a lower back support that takes up about 2-3" of horizontal seat space and pushes the driver forward too far , IMO. Also, at my age, I just wasn't ready for the Family Truckster look of the full Wing.

The seating position on the F6B is very good, and the seat is nice and wide and comfortably firm for longer rides.

SierraKen
10-21-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm 65 and just trade a 2004 GL1800 for a new 2015 F6b and have no regrets. I ride mostly solo so don't miss the extra room. Have had to "relearn" to park without the reverse but most of my other bikes had no reverse. The handling is definitely lighter than full wing but still smooth and solid on the slab. With just 4000 miles on the odometer in a five weeks, I am so happy I made the trade!

F6wannaB
10-23-2015, 07:00 PM
.welcome20. oldman!

All you guys in your 70's inspire me:yes:

Hdnvn
10-23-2015, 08:59 PM
55 years old here, 6'2" 215lbs. Have a Harley Electraglide on a battery tender since the purchase of my black '13 F6B deluxe. Awesome ride. So awesome it has increased my confidence and improved my riding skills tremendously. Improvements at this point:
New grips, stock are too thin
New Vance and Hine pipes, stock are too quiet
New Klockwerks Shield, stock is too low and high clear ones are too ugly
Highway pegs
New 6.5" speakers, stock just don't cut it
Cubby 12volt port for charging cellphone
Cruise Control, aftermarket from Aus
Garmin 660 with custom made mount
Planned for the future,
Replace OEM amp
Add subwoofer to inside of low side bag
Possibly a paint job, black with a top coat...
I think that's it. I customized my Harley to the tune of thousands and thousands of dollars over 5 years and I find that the F is such a near perfect ride (functionally and visually) that I'm nearly done. It fits my tall frame much better than the Harley and the balance is unparalleled. And you know what? It's priced reasonable.

STR8UP
10-24-2015, 07:11 PM
I am 60 and replaced a BMW K1200GT with a 2013 F6B and it is by far the bike I enjoy the most. I am 5'6" and can put both feet flat on the ground and the bike's centre of gravity is much lower than my previous bike which makes it way easier to maneuver at low speed. The two side cases offer plenty of space for me. It's the first bike where I feel no need to raise the bars or get an aftermarket seat. You don't have to look far to find service and parts wherever you travel...this was a major issue with BMW.

grendl
10-24-2015, 08:42 PM
I am 66 this year (WOW) about 5'11. I 've been riding over 40 years and my other bike is a 96 1000F which I love. Since I've had the F6 I havent ridden my Hurricane much. Taken a few long runs on it and for my money this bike is it ! Finally went with a Klockweks sheild which enhanced the sounds and keeps the bugs off so I can ride with my helmet open,thinking about a Mustang just for looks.
I have parked downhill ONCE and was able to back it out but wont do that again, so reverse could be nice but I wouldn't trade for a Wing just for that.
I will regularly leave the house and ride 300 miles just for the joy of it
All in all this is an amazing bike. I absolutely love mine.

JohnnyB
10-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Welcome Oldman. Glad to see guys my age or older riding. I am 66. I ride my F6B as much as I can instead of driving my truck. I have had several different bikes, Buell 1125 CR, Harley Super Glide, Harley Road King, and now my F6B. I didn't keep the Buell or the two Harleys long (bought all new), because I guess I get bored easily, or was still "looking". I have added a lot of stuff to my F6B and have it "just right" now. Sometimes I think well about time to get something else like Ducati, or KTM super duke R, and then I think, buddy you are going to screw up, don't do it. Really I don't think I could improve on the F6B, it just does everything well, comfort, reliability, mileage, speed, braking, and looks. It is an outstanding machine and I do plan to keep it a long, long, time......unless I hit the lotto, will still keep the F6B though. I love to explore on it and it is just a well designed motorcycle that to me checks all of the boxes. Ride safe!

CopperMike
10-26-2015, 11:31 PM
.welcome20. oldman!

All you guys in your 70's inspire me:yes:

:clap2::yes:'welcome gang'

Riknchar
10-28-2015, 01:50 PM
I bought a new 2015 F6B Deluxe for the same reasons cited by pretty much everyone on the forum. After a couple of months, though, I did decide to switch back to a full Goldwing, and was lucky enough to work a very favorable trade on a new 2015 GL1800.

I will in no way bash the F6B -- it is an amazing bike in virtually every way, and far superior to any of the other bagger style bikes on the road. For me, though, the full Goldwing ended up being a better fit for two main reasons:

1. At 5'9", 170 lbs, 32 inch inseam, the full Goldwing seat fits me to a T. It must have been purposefully designed for a person of exactly my size, because it just feels perfect to me. For anyone over 6' tall, though, it's clearly cramped, and the larger saddle on the F6B works much better.

2. I have a 7-year old son who loves to ride with me every chance he gets, including some fairly long interstate trips. The comfort and security of the full Goldwing seat trumps the F6B significantly, even with the backrest. Again, no knock on the F6B, the back seat is very spacious and for many people would probably be a better fit, but with a young child on the back, the wraparound seat is a must.

I also did find that I prefer the quieter tone of the full Goldwing exhaust to the slightly louder/edgier exhaust note of the 2015 F6B. When I first got the F6B, I actually loved the growly tone. But over time, and with longer trips, the constant drone wore on me more than I thought it would. When I fired up the 2015 full Goldwing, I just realized that I preferred the quieter exhaust.

So if you happen to be 5'9" with a need for a secure, wraparound back seat and a preference for a quieter exhaust, go for the GL1800! Otherwise, you'd probably enjoy the F6B more...

opas ride
10-28-2015, 02:28 PM
I bought a new 2015 F6B Deluxe for the same reasons cited by pretty much everyone on the forum. After a couple of months, though, I did decide to switch back to a full Goldwing, and was lucky enough to work a very favorable trade on a new 2015 GL1800.

I will in no way bash the F6B -- it is an amazing bike in virtually every way, and far superior to any of the other bagger style bikes on the road. For me, though, the full Goldwing ended up being a better fit for two main reasons:

1. At 5'9", 170 lbs, 32 inch inseam, the full Goldwing seat fits me to a T. It must have been purposefully designed for a person of exactly my size, because it just feels perfect to me. For anyone over 6' tall, though, it's clearly cramped, and the larger saddle on the F6B works much better.

2. I have a 7-year old son who loves to ride with me every chance he gets, including some fairly long interstate trips. The comfort and security of the full Goldwing seat trumps the F6B significantly, even with the backrest. Again, no knock on the F6B, the back seat is very spacious and for many people would probably be a better fit, but with a young child on the back, the wraparound seat is a must.

I also did find that I prefer the quieter tone of the full Goldwing exhaust to the slightly louder/edgier exhaust note of the 2015 F6B. When I first got the F6B, I actually loved the growly tone. But over time, and with longer trips, the constant drone wore on me more than I thought it would. When I fired up the 2015 full Goldwing, I just realized that I preferred the quieter exhaust.

So if you happen to be 5'9" with a need for a secure, wraparound back seat and a preference for a quieter exhaust, go for the GL1800! Otherwise, you'd probably enjoy the F6B more...
Well unfortunately I am also 5'9" about 195lbs.,almost 76 but only have a 29"inseam and could never get a "warm fuzzy feeling" about the Goldwing's seating...With the F6B I am able, along with a lower Mustang seat and higher boot soles, to flat foot the bike at stops and just feel more secure with it overall...Almost bought a Wing a while back, but instead bought a Victory Vision Tour which had a much lower seat and did not feel, to me, as top heavy....Currently love the F6B and only ride by myself so I am good to go....Enjoy the GW as it is also a very nice bike....Regards

Ginfla
11-25-2015, 06:04 PM
Welcome. I am 67 and have been riding over 50 years. The F6B is the best, most fun to ride, motorcycle I have ever owned. I had two full Gold Wings after a long series of 10 Harleys prior to this bike. The full Wings always felt cramped in riding position and top heavy. The F6B takes care of both of those issues. I have almost 32000 miles on mine and enjoy it more every time I ride it. The windshield change is a must. I have had the Honda tall and now F4 Custom. I also prefer the Mustang seat with dropped pegs from the mini board setup. Hghway pegs are nice on longer highway adventures. In my opinion, the Deluxe package is a bargain. I use all the included accessories all the time. I really believe you will love the F6B when you ride it. It feels much lighter than it actually weighs and handles like a sport bike ( for old guys).

Great info Texas TC, I just got rid of a 2015 level 3 GOld wing because it was too heavy at slow speeds. Looking forward to an F6B deluxe in the near future.