PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe ...or Da Plain?

SimonTemplar
10-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Greetings from a new member from North Carolina. (It's not the edge of the earth, but we have a damned fine view of that)

I'm about to pull the trigger on an F6B. Question is....is the Deluxe worth the extra scratch? As best as I can find out, other than paint the only extras the Deluxe gets you is the centre stand and the cruise control. Is there anything else? Seems the centre stand can be had for a lot less and added in the garage.

Also....right now I'm just trying to find the best deal. I've been looking at leftover 2013's and 14's or new '15's. Were there any real changes over those years?

....sT

wjduke
10-21-2015, 04:31 AM
This is from a rookie, but heated grips and I think cancelling turn signals are part of the deluxe. I know there are 4 add ons.

jkelley
10-21-2015, 04:56 AM
Worth it in my opinion, 13's and 14's are same just added Yellow in 14. 15's have cruise which is also a valuable option!.

jm21ddd15
10-21-2015, 05:22 AM
There are plenty of posts on this Forum from members that have the standard, that afterwards, want to add cruise, heated grips, and center stands, and cancelling turn signals. Might as well get them right away, and let Honda do the work. Either way, you will love the 6, but might as well get some extras with the Deluxe.

VStarRider
10-21-2015, 05:36 AM
I had this debate just a few weeks ago. I ended up with a '13 Standard, but would have purchased the Deluxe if one was available. I had heated grips added (Honda part) for $280 (no charge for labor), I will eventually add the center stand, but I will have to live without the self-cancelling turn signals (my 2004 $9000 VStar 1100 had those; not sure why they aren't standard on the Standard). The thing I will miss the most is cruise control, available only on the 2015+ models. The 2015s were $3000 more when I was looking.

To sum up, with the Deluxe you get:

heated grips
backrest
center stand
self-cancelling turn signals

Both models have cruise control. All that for $1500 more. Worth it to me.

willtill
10-21-2015, 05:44 AM
Plus... :shhh: the Deluxe models are faster than the lowly standards.... and are more sexy.

:icon_mrgreen:

seadog
10-21-2015, 05:56 AM
The 4 options on the 2015 deluxe make that the nicest ride in the park. The center stand makes checking fluid levels a breeze and the self canceling turn signal even though that doesn't sound like much just make one less thing you have to think about when your turning a corner. I never had cruise on my earlier bike and didn't think I would use it that much, I was wrong, I use it a lot, it is a very nice added option. I also never had heated grip and now wouldn't live without them. Even the boys in Florida say they use theirs and I know I use mine up here in Michigan more than you would think. So is the 2015 deluxe worth the money. Its a no brainer, I definitely opted for all those and have found them to be worth the extra money.:yes::yes:

shooter
10-21-2015, 06:49 AM
Plus... :shhh: the Deluxe models are faster than the lowly standards.... and are more sexy.

:icon_mrgreen:
Actually Will the Standards are much faster as they are unencumbered by all that excessive weight from the add ons. Deluxe owners tend to have a bigger head also which adds weight.:021:

willtill
10-21-2015, 06:58 AM
Actually Will the Standards are much faster as they are unencumbered by all that excessive weight from the add ons. Deluxe owners tend to have a bigger head also which adds weight.:021:

:icon_lol:

Old Ryder
10-21-2015, 07:14 AM
I bought the standard and added what I wanted---centerstand ($60 shipped from a trike conversion) and a like new backrest from a member for under $200. I can live without the heated grips (added Baker Hand Wings $60) and I DID NOT WANT SELF CANCELLING TURN SIGNALS I had them on the Harleys and Victorys and I really hated when I was sitting at a light or making a left hand turn only to find out I was just sitting in the road with no indication of what I was about to do as they would stop by themselves.

I may still add the heated grips.

jm21ddd15
10-21-2015, 07:46 AM
With 12000 miles on my 6 deluxe, I've never had my self cancelling turn signals, not perform incorrectly. I guess Harley and Victory may have issues with theirs, but my Honda seems fine. I can't count the number of times I see cycles cruising down the hyway with turn signals on, and on and on. Makes me wonder if they ever look at their gauges.

seadog
10-21-2015, 08:13 AM
I have never had the self cancelling turn signal turn off until the bike had actually made a turn and have sat at some pretty long signal lights with the turn signals on and never had them shut down prematurely.

F6Dave
10-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Here are my thoughts from an earlier post. When I bought mine last year I wanted a Deluxe, but all my dealer had were Standards. So he offered to take the $1,000 in Bonus Bucks and make a Standard into a 3/4 Deluxe. He installed the Honda backrest, heated grips, and center stand. The self-cancelling signals weren't available as accessories, so he threw in the 12 volt power socket instead.

The grips are great in climates where you ride on some cold days. And, they looked like a PITA to install so I'm glad the dealer handled that.

The center stand is nearly essential for checking tires, and handy for a lot of other stuff too. I never understood why they pointed that valve stems to the left until I changed a tire and saw that it would hit the rotor if it pointed the other way.

The backrest isn't a big deal if you ride solo, but it does include the expensive hardware needed for a luggage rack.

I don't miss the self-cancelling signals as I've had some on other bikes and they don't work very well. The Honda 12 volt socket is pricey but more useful to me.

Overall, I ended up with the bike I wanted and a very good price. It's the best motorcycle I've ever owned.

No Handle Sam
10-21-2015, 08:45 AM
Everyone has their own wants and needs, but for me it was worth trading in my 2013 standard for my 2015 deluxe. My biggest draw was the cruise control and the paint. (what can I say… I really like that matte silver) Of course if you get a 2015... both models now have cruise control as a standard item.

CheesyRider
10-21-2015, 09:30 AM
If I were to do it again, I'd get the standard and add the heated grips and center stand. I don't need the passenger backrest and the self cancelling signals often shut down prematurely.

Random one
10-21-2015, 09:42 AM
I bought the basic and have spent a bunch of cash adding goodies to it since. It's cheaper to buy it all at once instead of one piece at a time and paying installation cost. Although I do my own installs and I work cheap.

opas ride
10-21-2015, 09:46 AM
The deluxe was worth it to me...I enjoy the self cancelling turn signals and have never had an issue with them as some have posted...Center stand is terrific for self maintenance, heated grips for the cold, although I have only used them once..Backrest works for me and I like the looks better and I am good...If I were to buy another I would get the deluxe again and not worry about adding the stuff later....JMHO

Navvet
10-21-2015, 09:52 AM
Simon --- I got the plain 2013 and then negotiated a tall windshield, center-stand, backrest, and a service manual for less than the deluxe.

Self canceling turn signals and cruise control have never been important to me ....

Oh, also, .welcome20.Welcome from a fellow NC resident .....welcome20.

willtill
10-21-2015, 09:54 AM
If you are moving pretty fast (speed) and you put on your turn signal; it will stop blinking in about 10 blinks. But if you are crawling along; it stays on for much longer.

I have the unbreakable habit though; of constantly jabbing my turn signal switch to tun it off; even when it's off. :icon_rolleyes:

No Handle Sam
10-21-2015, 10:51 AM
I have the unbreakable habit though; of constantly jabbing my turn signal switch to tun it off; even when it's off. :icon_rolleyes:

That's so funny… I do the same thing. Then when I get on the Harley with the turn signal controls on both the right and left side that completely screws me up for the first few miles.

Hornblower
10-21-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on an F6B. Question is....is the Deluxe worth the extra scratch?

As expected, you're getting answers both pro and con. My vote is for the Deluxe. Also, welcome from another "Tar Heel" :039:.

Battoo
10-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Bought the standard I did not want the backrest , no passenger took pegs off and I have a center stand off my wing i plan to install and the 2015 came with cruise control

fxdl2051
10-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Get the deluxe, ever try changing the oil or inflating a rear tire on the side stand? Those heated grips are worth it too and of course the newest models have cruise control, worth it again. Now you can do some of these for around a grand, but will you? I bought a standard '13 and had the dealer do the upgrades at cost, but no way they'd do cruise control.

Greg O
10-21-2015, 11:56 AM
My vote is get the Blue Deluxe, if I didn't get my 13 so cheap I would have bought the above mentioned.

Steve 0080
10-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Go big or go home.... resale is also much better !!!

Airborne06
10-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Worth it in my opinion, 13's and 14's are same just added Yellow in 14. 15's have cruise which is also a valuable option!.

And the 15's have a different exhaust note, or so I am told.

wiggy
10-21-2015, 02:33 PM
I bought a 2013 standard for a great price. I then added the centerstand for 65, now have heated grips to install that cost 175 and bought a passenger backrest for 165. Total cost 405. I've never had self canceling turn signals and don't think it's a big issue.

So I "almost" have a Deluxe.. :)

waynerock66
10-21-2015, 02:58 PM
I held out until I found a '13 Deluxe. All my other bikes through the years have had self cancelling tun signals even my 80's Yamahas, really Honda?!?!?!?!?!, and besides I figure they took enough goodies off of the F6B and still got a premium price for the bike might as well get what you can while you can. Do it up front and and some time and money down the road.

Brewdog
10-22-2015, 04:26 AM
I waited and bought the deluxe model. Cruise control is my most used option. Heated grips I haven't used. The Center stand I use quite often. My wife likes the passenger backrest. self canceling turn signals can't be beat.

Jimmytee
10-22-2015, 06:35 AM
For me, the idea of the deluxe didn't have much appeal. Self canceling turn signals? Yeah I suppose it's a little nice fluff, but I've been riding without them as long as I can remember and have not missed them. The passenger back rest, yeah it's a must for me, but I knew I'd be swapping seats and purchasing an aftermarket with both rider and passenger back rests anyways. Center stand is defintiely a plus, but that too can be had very inexpensively on Ebay. Lot's of brand new Goldwing Trike conversions where the center stand is removed and sold. Heated grips? I'm sure are a nice thing, but I already have heated gloves along with everything else down to my toes when the temps drop. Plus the non heated grips allow a wider variety of grip choices. I've got the Kury Iso gripo with the throttle boss. With the heated grips , you have to do those covers. So that's where I was in my decision.

2015F6B
10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
After a lot of soul searching on the best way to spend my dollars, I decided on a 2015 standard model. I live in Florida so the heated grips don't matter to me and I never ride two-up so the back rest would serve no purpose. The self cancelling turn signals, never had em and don't miss em. I bought the center stand off Ebay and installed it myself. For $1,000 difference in retail price between the standard and deluxe, I thought I'd be better off putting that money into an extended warranty, so that's what I did. I bought a Honda Protection Plan for 84 months, a total of 7 years full warranty coverage with unlimited mileage and roadside assistance for about the same money as a deluxe would have cost me with only a three year warranty (and no roadside assistance). If you keep your bikes for a long time and put a lot of miles on them like I do, the warranty will most likely pay for itself. Imagine what repair costs will be six or seven years from now. My advice, take the standard and buy a Honda Protection Plan for what you'll save by not buying the deluxe. Just my 2 cents.

fl1madmax
10-23-2015, 01:16 PM
After a lot of soul searching on the best way to spend my dollars, I decided on a 2015 standard model. I live in Florida so the heated grips don't matter to me and I never ride two-up so the back rest would serve no purpose. The self cancelling turn signals, never had em and don't miss em. I bought the center stand off Ebay and installed it myself. For $1,000 difference in retail price between the standard and deluxe, I thought I'd be better off putting that money into an extended warranty, so that's what I did. I bought a Honda Protection Plan for 84 months, a total of 7 years full warranty coverage with unlimited mileage and roadside assistance for about the same money as a deluxe would have cost me with only a three year warranty (and no roadside assistance). If you keep your bikes for a long time and put a lot of miles on them like I do, the warranty will most likely pay for itself. Imagine what repair costs will be six or seven years from now. My advice, take the standard and buy a Honda Protection Plan for what you'll save by not buying the deluxe. Just my 2 cents.

Yupper that's right he gives you life time Honda warrantee, don't have to bring it back to him for warrantee !!!! accepted everywhere.
But when was the last time you have a Flat Six Bagger --------------Break ???????? ( F6B )

SimonTemplar
10-24-2015, 02:13 AM
Well...clearly more to the Deluxe than I had originally sussed.

The jumpseat backrest is a take-it-or-leave item for me (of course, my wife has a different opinion on that.) Personally....I rather prefer the look without the backrest. My wife tells me that I prefer WITH the backrest.

I've never had heated grips before.....my most recent ride was an 1100 Katana (the only brand-new bike I've ever owned...the F6 to be the second) from back before such things existed (and now you know why my wife is so enamoured with the backrest). So I don't know whether they're a big deal to me or not. Probably not, as I don't do a lot of cold weather riding (this is NC, we have true cold weather for about 4 weeks a year....rarely the same 4 weeks from year to year.) Not to mention that aftermarket grips would be a dead item down the road.

Cruise control may be an issue, however. Never had it....but on past bikes ( pre-Kat....Dare I say the 'V' word from company Y?) I had several of the friction type thumb-lever throttle locks (does anyone still even make those?) which were quite handy.

Centre stand is a go/no-go item....whether I put it on or Honda does. (The mounting lugs are on the frame either way, right?)

Self canceling turn signals were a dream come true, back when I had them. Of course, the Kat told me I didn't really want them after all ( also...the Kat would fire right up late in the day, but never had much interest and had to be coaxed in the morning. A lot like a wife, that Kat was). I suspect I'll probably punch them off out of habit either way.

The better resale value of the Deluxe is an attention grabber. But....I'm of an age where this is probably going to be the bike they bury me with anyway. So...another coin-flip.

I like the idea of buying standard and using deluxe money to extend the warranty. But my understanding is I can do that for quite awhile after the sale anyway....when the wallet recovers.

So....decisions, decisions......

.....sT

VStarRider
10-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Well...clearly more to the Deluxe than I had originally sussed.

The jumpseat backrest is a take-it-or-leave item for me (of course, my wife has a different opinion on that.) Personally....I rather prefer the look without the backrest. My wife tells me that I prefer WITH the backrest.

I've never had heated grips before.....my most recent ride was an 1100 Katana (the only brand-new bike I've ever owned...the F6 to be the second) from back before such things existed (and now you know why my wife is so enamoured with the backrest). So I don't know whether they're a big deal to me or not. Probably not, as I don't do a lot of cold weather riding (this is NC, we have true cold weather for about 4 weeks a year....rarely the same 4 weeks from year to year.) Not to mention that aftermarket grips would be a dead item down the road.

Cruise control may be an issue, however. Never had it....but on past bikes ( pre-Kat....Dare I say the 'V' word from company Y?) I had several of the friction type thumb-lever throttle locks (does anyone still even make those?) which were quite handy.

Centre stand is a go/no-go item....whether I put it on or Honda does. (The mounting lugs are on the frame either way, right?)

Self canceling turn signals were a dream come true, back when I had them. Of course, the Kat told me I didn't really want them after all ( also...the Kat would fire right up late in the day, but never had much interest and had to be coaxed in the morning. A lot like a wife, that Kat was). I suspect I'll probably punch them off out of habit either way.

The better resale value of the Deluxe is an attention grabber. But....I'm of an age where this is probably going to be the bike they bury me with anyway. So...another coin-flip.

I like the idea of buying standard and using deluxe money to extend the warranty. But my understanding is I can do that for quite awhile after the sale anyway....when the wallet recovers.

So....decisions, decisions......

.....sT

My dealer offered the four year extended warranty for $600+tax. He said the price from Honda goes up 10% per year. Any truth to this, or he is he trying to sell me one right now rather than later? (I will probably buy one a year or two from now).

2015F6B
10-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Sounds like your dealer may be trying to sell you something other than a genuine "Honda Protection Plan". I only say that because my dealer also had a warranty plan available from an outside company. Follow this link to the Honda website for the Honda Protection Plan costs.

http://powersports.honda.com/protectionplan/motorcycle-threeyear.aspx

You also must understand how the plan works. If you purchase the 12 month plan (as seen on the chart), you end up with one extra year of protection, the original three year factory warranty plus one more year for a total of four years protection.

Looking at the chart, I purchased the "48 month" plan which is seven years total, three years new vehicle warranty plus four additional years that I purchased totaling seven years. The actual application form filled out by the dealer clearly states 84 months (seven years) total protection.

At the suggestion of another forum member, I first called Russellville Honda in Ark to get a quote but found out that they could not sell me the Honda Protection plan as a Florida resident unless I physically purchased a bike from them, that was per Protection Plan HQ. Doesn't make sense to me but it's a fact. Consequently, I had to pay the plan price as seen on the chart. And as my dealer explained to me, there is no negotiating here in Florida, per state regulations. Same cost at any authorized Honda Powersports dealer. Others on the forum may not agree but I've been through it.

Long story short, I'm glad I did this. As long as I keep proper maintenance records showing that all the scheduled services were performed, I'm covered. Any yes, you, as the owner can do your own service, just keep your receipts and log each service. This is per my dealer.

Extended warranties are not for everyone, but for me it was the right thing to do based on my expected term of ownership and mileage. A lot to consider for sure.

VStarRider
10-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Sounds like your dealer may be trying to sell you something other than a genuine "Honda Protection Plan". I only say that because my dealer also had a warranty plan available from an outside company. Follow this link to the Honda website for the Honda Protection Plan costs.

http://powersports.honda.com/protectionplan/motorcycle-threeyear.aspx

You also must understand how the plan works. If you purchase the 12 month plan (as seen on the chart), you end up with one extra year of protection, the original three year factory warranty plus one more year for a total of four years protection.

Looking at the chart, I purchased the "48 month" plan which is seven years total, three years new vehicle warranty plus four additional years that I purchased totaling seven years. The actual application form filled out by the dealer clearly states 84 months (seven years) total protection.

At the suggestion of another forum member, I first called Russellville Honda in Ark to get a quote but found out that they could not sell me the Honda Protection plan as a Florida resident unless I physically purchased a bike from them, that was per Protection Plan HQ. Doesn't make sense to me but it's a fact. Consequently, I had to pay the plan price as seen on the chart. And as my dealer explained to me, there is no negotiating here in Florida, per state regulations. Same cost at any authorized Honda Powersports dealer. Others on the forum may not agree but I've been through it.

Long story short, I'm glad I did this. As long as I keep proper maintenance records showing that all the scheduled services were performed, I'm covered. Any yes, you, as the owner can do your own service, just keep your receipts and log each service. This is per my dealer.

Extended warranties are not for everyone, but for me it was the right thing to do based on my expected term of ownership and mileage. A lot to consider for sure.

Yup, I hear ya.

I just double-checked, and yes, it is a Honda Protection Plan exactly as described above. I would also add four years to the original three, like you did. I plan on on keeping this bike for 10 years, which would add up to about 60,000 miles.

The only thing that bothers me is that they don't cover the audio system in the extended warranty. That is a major component on the bike, one of its best features.

…oh yeah, my dealer does discount the warranty to $600 from $800. Sales tax is charged, though.

2015F6B
10-24-2015, 06:24 PM
If your dealer can discount the plan that much, I say go for it. That would be $600 well spent. Keep in mind that you will not receive roadside assistance at that price however. I specifically wanted the roadside assistance also which will get my bike to the nearest Honda dealer regardless of mileage and the roadside assistance begins immediately upon acceptance into the plan, so you actually get roadside assistance for all seven years. Thoughts of getting stranded out in the middle of no-where scare me. Good luck on whatever you decide.

VStarRider
10-24-2015, 08:08 PM
If your dealer can discount the plan that much, I say go for it. That would be $600 well spent. Keep in mind that you will not receive roadside assistance at that price however. I specifically wanted the roadside assistance also which will get my bike to the nearest Honda dealer regardless of mileage and the roadside assistance begins immediately upon acceptance into the plan, so you actually get roadside assistance for all seven years. Thoughts of getting stranded out in the middle of no-where scare me. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks, yes, I noticed that roadside assistance is not available at that price point. I will definitely get the extended warranty…just a matter of when, not if…still gotta get used to having my first ever motorcycle payment… :shock:

F6Dave
10-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Thanks, yes, I noticed that roadside assistance is not available at that price point. I will definitely get the extended warranty…just a matter of when, not if…still gotta get used to having my first ever motorcycle payment… :shock:

I just got an email from Honda Direct Line. They have a sale on extended warranties for $570. They also discount the roadside assistance plan.

Another option for roadside assistance is to join the AMA. They include it with some memberships.