PDA

View Full Version : Reflections after 208 miles...

VStarRider
10-21-2015, 07:08 PM
Man, those mirrors are huge. I can see more behind me than in front of me!
I am not sore after any of the trips I have taken thus far. Feels like I am getting out of my car.
42.1 mpg on first tank.
Gosh, that factory shield is awful, but you sure do see well.
Even though I am still tenuous in low speed manuevers, the bike is slowly proving to me that I do not have to be. It is very agile and actually seems to want to stay upright more than it wants to tip to a side.
I do not have an issue muscling it back into the garage by hand, up a slight incline. I was worried about this. I will keep eating Wheaties every morning.
Smooth, smooth, smooth.
I can hear the radio fairly well at Volume Level 15, with a full face helmet and stock screen.
All of the separate keyed storage is a pain in the #$%.
The power available is sick. SICK. All my other bikes, I downshifted to 3rd while cornering, to resume course after the turn. 4th is fine on the F6B.
There is great wind protection from the shoulders down (I am 6'1").
I am starting to get used to the pegs and the position of my legs after years of a VStar with boards and legs/feet slightly out in front.
The auto volume adjustment works very well. As long as it is not windy.
A lot of feeling of being exposed to the elements, including the physical feel of what it is like to be on a motorcycle, is missing from this machine. (This is not a complaint).

ReserveBum
10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Just my two cents.....
About a third of those concerns would be solved w a Madstad.
See the links about knobs - gotta be a few. Most have us have made duplicate keys and epoxy'd them to a variety of knob types. Let me know and I can get pix of what I did.
Thats it....its a great ride! I am turning 20k on mine in two years and its just a awesome bike.

VStarRider
10-21-2015, 07:36 PM
Just my two cents.....
About a third of those concerns would be solved w a Madstad.
See the links about knobs - gotta be a few. Most have us have made duplicate keys and epoxy'd them to a variety of knob types. Let me know and I can get pix of what I did.
Thats it....its a great ride! I am turning 20k on mine in two years and its just a awesome bike.

Madstad Medium Gray 13" is on order. Should be en route by Friday, if their website is correct.

Would LOVE to see what you did to turn extra keys into knobs (if I am understanding that correctly). Do you LocTite them into the key cylinder?

Greg O
10-21-2015, 07:59 PM
Madstad Medium Gray 13" is on order. Should be en route by Friday, if their website is correct.

Would LOVE to see what you did to turn extra keys into knobs (if I am understanding that correctly). Do you LocTite them into the key cylinder?

You purchase spare radio knobs, cut and epoxy the duplicate keys into the knobs. What is nice is they won't start the bike. I made 3 of them.

willtill
10-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Man, those mirrors are huge. I can see more behind me than in front of me!
I am not sore after any of the trips I have taken thus far. Feels like I am getting out of my car.
42.1 mpg on first tank.
Gosh, that factory shield is awful, but you sure do see well.
Even though I am still tenuous in low speed manuevers, the bike is slowly proving to me that I do not have to be. It is very agile and actually seems to want to stay upright more than it wants to tip to a side.
I do not have an issue muscling it back into the garage by hand, up a slight incline. I was worried about this. I will keep eating Wheaties every morning.
Smooth, smooth, smooth.
I can hear the radio fairly well at Volume Level 15, with a full face helmet and stock screen.
All of the separate keyed storage is a pain in the #$%.
The power available is sick. SICK. All my other bikes, I downshifted to 3rd while cornering, to resume course after the turn. 4th is fine on the F6B.
There is great wind protection from the shoulders down (I am 6'1").
I am starting to get used to the pegs and the position of my legs after years of a VStar with boards and legs/feet slightly out in front.
The auto volume adjustment works very well. As long as it is not windy.
A lot of feeling of being exposed to the elements, including the physical feel of what it is like to be on a motorcycle, is missing from this machine. (This is not a complaint).

Actually that is opposite from my felt perceptions; especially towards the left and right flanks as I turn my head to look. I feel more exposed in every direction except the front.

tinknocker
10-21-2015, 08:25 PM
You might even love the power more if you try 3rd coming out of a corner...after my ultra I thought 5th was ok but after one season of riding my 6 I find reasons to downshift...lol

Old Ryder
10-21-2015, 08:56 PM

Love this place! Ask and you shall receive!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6519-How-of-you-guys-have-made-the-key-knobs&highlight=knobs

wiggy
10-21-2015, 09:27 PM
The windshield will fix many of your problems, as already stated. You might also want a new seat. I have the Mustang Day Tripper that I bought from a forum member and like it so far. It sits me about an inch lower than stock.

Personally, I needed highway pegs right after I bought the bike. I can only ride in the "praying mantis" position so long. I bought Ergo III pegs and like them although I wish the arms were shorter and could be adjusted even more forward.

Another nice CHEAP addition is to load up a USB stick with your favorite MP3s and attach to the plug inside the left saddlebag. You'll have hours of nonstop tunes that you can play through your stereo system.

Have fun and welcome!

VStarRider
10-22-2015, 05:36 AM
The windshield will fix many of your problems, as already stated. You might also want a new seat. I have the Mustang Day Tripper that I bought from a forum member and like it so far. It sits me about an inch lower than stock.

Personally, I needed highway pegs right after I bought the bike. I can only ride in the "praying mantis" position so long. I bought Ergo III pegs and like them although I wish the arms were shorter and could be adjusted even more forward.

Another nice CHEAP addition is to load up a USB stick with your favorite MP3s and attach to the plug inside the left saddlebag. You'll have hours of nonstop tunes that you can play through your stereo system.

Have fun and welcome!

Ha! Already took care of that by plugging my iPhone into it. I can stream Pandora, or play my own music from iTunes. The advantage of playing iTunes is that I can control the song selections from the "Tune" switches in the cockpit. It also charges my phone. I didn't know the bike had this connection; I had a 12 V DC receptacle installed in the fairing pocket with the jack, thinking that was the only way to play audio through a device AND be able to charge the device. I lock my phone in place using the rubber strap in the saddlebag. Learned this from reading the owner's manual.