PDA

View Full Version : First try with PlastiDip

bobbyf6b
08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Well I finally found a local source for aftermarket accessories here in Phoenix. Actually Scottsdale. Western Honda is a small dealership that's been there for many years. I used to go there in the 80's when I had a Honda scooter. (Aero 80). So I go in the back and they have an entire wall of Kuryakyn stuff! Very cool. I got the center console cup holder that I wanted. Of course it's chrome but I thought I would give it a try. NOPE, don't like it. I was practically blinded by the suns reflection all the way home. Stopped at Home Depot on the way and picked up two cans of PlastiDip. Guy tells me he can't keep it on the shelf, teens are painting their cars with it. :icon_lol:

I put about four coats on it so we'll see how it holds up. It's sensitive at the edges and wants to peel back. I think when I get a chance I'll spray it front and back to make it more durable. Let me know what you think.

Before and after:

bobbyf6b
08-10-2013, 10:17 AM
My only complaint is the chrome cover part doesn't fit as snug as the stock piece. There was a gap at the top part with the stock one but now there's a slightly larger gap.

I wonder how much a stock cover cost? I'm thinking a stock cover with a hole drilled in it for the water bottle would look nice. Hmm...

Steve 0080
08-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Bobby...you are looking at $80 for all the parts to make the top cover....a couple of people have bought these and mounted a GPS on it and the like and just changed out the lids.....

Texas TC
08-10-2013, 11:20 AM
I have had my Kury cup holder for 8 months and used it on two motorcycles. I did a touchup coat two months ago. The throttle cables were scratching the upper right corner of the coated part. I put a small piece of Gorilla tape where the cables were hitting and no more problems.

MichaelG
08-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Bobby, here is an additional idea. ( I have used the Kuryakyn cubby lid...painted black...for the past 12k miles, and I like it, but...it can be improved on, as the cup holder area is too small, and only a limited number of cup can fit in there)

Go with your idea of using the OEM lid cover...find a drinking cup that you really like and will use...cut the lid to fit the drinking cup, and then also find a foam can cooler...the kind that was popular at every convenience store and truck stop 10 years ago, they are still available, you just have to look for them today. Use an insulated foam can cooler that you slide your drink cup, or can of beer/soda, etc into, and place that down into the cubby hole, then place the cubby lid on top of that, and squish the cubby lid down ONTO the foam can coller, to hold the foam can cooler in place.

They do make those foam can coolers in slightly different heights and diameters. Find a taller and larger one, such so that when the cubby lid is placed on TOP of the foam can cooler, it pushes down onto the foam can cooler, and sorta locks it into place. A person could...if they wanted to...also glue the top rim of the foam can cooler to the bottom of the cubby lid, to that it holds a tight seal, but I do not think that is necessary.

My only problem with the Kuryakyn cubby lid is that the drink holder hole is too small, and after finally finsing a decent drinking cup that will work for me, it is still too tight to fit into the rubber holders of the Kuryakyn cubby lid. I make it work, and I could just be satisfied with it...BUT...like you and Steve, I am never quite satisfied, until it is right.:icon_wink:

F6B-RICH
08-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I used Plasti Dip on my Can Am Spyder when I had it.I noticed that if you spray things you do not touch/play with alot holds up fine
but use it on stuff you touch/play with alot then it was not that great.

bobbyf6b
08-10-2013, 08:09 PM
I used Plasti Dip on my Can Am Spyder when I had it.I noticed that if you spray things you do not touch/play with alot holds up fine
but use it on stuff you touch/play with alot then it was not that great.

That's exactly what I have found out. The stuff is peeling off. Might have to go with paint.

bobbyf6b
08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
PlastiDip started peeling off, so now it's carbon fiber! I used some vinyl wrap that I had laying around.

Deer Slayer
08-11-2013, 04:18 PM
I am not a fan of Plasti-Dip. I coated a cooler with white so as not to use as much ice on my Western trip. note RED coolers melt ice faster. The edges came up and about anything would knock a chunk out of the finish. However it did keep the cooler cooler. I totaled the trailer with the Wing so did not have to peel the white off. So here I am again with a red cooler on my Bunkhouse camper. Duh! It matches the fast RED F6B..

Deer Slayer._ ._.

BillyDaFinn
08-11-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm currently on my 2nd round of trying plasti-dip on my cubby. As Texas TC said, the cables on my right bar bumps my cubby, leaves a tear in the plasti-dip. Also, when you try to remove the cubby lids it tears. Plasti-dip is good in certain applications, just not this one, at least not for me. I'll be doing a good old fashioned Krylon rebuild on my cubby next week. I'm pretty sure it'll last longer.

F6B-RICH
08-11-2013, 10:20 PM
PlastiDip started peeling off, so now it's carbon fiber! I used some vinyl wrap that I had laying around.

WOW now that I like :Saweeet smilie: I am a big fan of carbon fiber.Looks good :thumb:

yellow rex
08-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Deer Slayer one year at Wing Ding a older man was talking
about ice melting in ice chest, he said put insulation under cooler rack
most of your heat comes off the road surface and he was correct it work.

Texas TC
08-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I have not had any peeling, only the cables scratching the coated bracket from the throttle cables. I use mine daily for my water bottle or Diet Mountain Dew can without any problems. I will admit I do not take the rubber lids off. If I want in the box, I open it with a key. I am pleased with Plasti Dip.