PDA

View Full Version : New Sena Helmet

Jimmytee
10-23-2015, 10:58 PM
This looks pretty cool.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/10/17/gear-2/sena-unveils-smart-helmet-with-noise-control

nvmyf6
10-24-2015, 01:06 AM
Yes looks nice.
It looks a lot like my Lazar Monaco modular helmet. I wonder what the, Plus video means. I'll have to read more about it. It says adventure cameras. Cool.

SimonTemplar
10-24-2015, 01:10 AM
This looks pretty cool.

Definitely one to look at. However, it doesn't say but I am guessing the price tag isn't quite so cool.

.....sT

ths61
10-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Definitely one to look at. However, it doesn't say but I am guessing the price tag isn't quite so cool.

.....sT

The video said @ [$600 - $800] when it comes out in spring 2016. Carbon Fiber, under 3 pounds without sound system, over 3 pounds with sound system.

SimonTemplar
10-24-2015, 01:21 AM
The video said @ [$600 - $800] when it comes out in spring 2016. Carbon Fiber, under 3 pounds without sound system, over 3 pounds with sound system.

Yeah, it did...didn't it? I missed that part the first time through.

See? Not so cool! :icon_wink:

.....sT

Travelor
10-24-2015, 06:01 AM
This looks pretty cool.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/10/17/gear-2/sena-unveils-smart-helmet-with-noise-control

If you go to this link, near the bottom there is an article about the rear brake recall identifying Honda's conclusion about the cause and the cure.

willtill
10-24-2015, 06:11 AM
If you go to this link, near the bottom there is an article about the rear brake recall identifying Honda's conclusion about the cause and the cure.

Thanks for that. I'll post that link in the rear brake recall thread; if it hasn't been posted there already. :yes:

Big Cat
10-24-2015, 07:02 AM

.....sT

True, it does seem a little high, but if you compare the cost of a new Shoei J-Cruise helmet ($450) plus a J&M Elite headset ($225) it doesn't seem so bad! FWIW, I have used the Sena wireless headset and have had excellent results listening to music and phone calls while riding. My only issue has been operating the jog/dial button with gloved hands, but with experience, that gets easier...

Paul B Blues
10-24-2015, 07:51 AM
The helmet plus added bit and bobs looks impressive. I'm a gadget fan, so the more the merrier 'all/right'

Jimmytee
10-24-2015, 08:06 AM
True, it does seem a little high, but if you compare the cost of a new Shoei J-Cruise helmet ($450) plus a J&M Elite headset ($225) it doesn't seem so bad! FWIW, I have used the Sena wireless headset and have had excellent results listening to music and phone calls while riding. My only issue has been operating the jog/dial button with gloved hands, but with experience, that gets easier...

That's kinda what I thought. But then my wife just got me a dual Sena SMH10 for our Anniversary and I recently bought a new modular helmet, so it will probably be awhile. :icon_rolleyes:

Big Cat
10-24-2015, 08:35 AM
That's kinda what I thought. But then my wife just got me a dual Sena SMH10 for our Anniversary and I recently bought a new modular helmet, so it will probably be awhile. :icon_rolleyes:

Just remember, Jimmy...you can't take it with you...and it's all about safety!:039:

luckyluciano
10-25-2015, 07:45 PM
How safe is it?

Looks great!

MAYHEM01
10-26-2015, 07:56 AM
I am also a tech Fanatic and all I can say is that this will set a benchmark for all other Helmet manufactures to step up their game. I am one who will be looking at this helmet when it hits the market.

F6Dave
10-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Years ago I bought one of the first Cardo Scala headsets. It had Bluetooth phone connectivity only, but I was happy to have the ability to take calls while riding. I had no reference point and thought it was pretty good.

Last year I bought a new helmet and decided I was due for a headset upgrade too. The store had a Sena headset on sale, so I decided to try it. I'd heard of Sena but knew nothing about them. I expected it to be better since it was a newer design, but was amazed at how superior it is. The sound quality is in a completely different league. Voice commands used to be hit or miss, but they work every time with the Sena.

Now I've been paying more attention to Sena, and they look like a real innovator. Their camera/headset combo is a great idea. So is this helmet. I expect we'll see more ground-breaking products from them.

SimonTemplar
10-27-2015, 01:08 AM
How do Sena's sizes compare to other makers?

Honestly, I've not shopped helmets in years. Mostly because at the time I purchased my current helmet (Shoei...many years back), the only makers who made helmets big enough for my head were Shoei, Bell, and Nolan. As I recall, my head size is 7 7/8.

....sT

ths61
10-27-2015, 08:04 PM
How do Sena's sizes compare to other makers?

Honestly, I've not shopped helmets in years. Mostly because at the time I purchased my current helmet (Shoei...many years back), the only makers who made helmets big enough for my head were Shoei, Bell, and Nolan. As I recall, my head size is 7 7/8.

....sT

FWIW, Shoei no longer has XXXL (only 1 model). HJC has up to XXXL.

motozeke
10-27-2015, 09:47 PM

.....sT

$600-$700 is in the range of premium touring helmets, like the Shuberth C3 and the Shoei Neotec. Super-premium helmets can cost 50%-100% more than that.

My issue with buying helmets built around technology is that my most important factor is fit, followed by weight, followed by style. I prefer to add the technology to helmets that excel in those three things, and given that people's head sizes, shapes and their tastes vary so widely, it just makes more sense to offer this as a retrofit.

RuneRider66
10-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Hey, whatever happened to that SKULLY AR 1 helmet they were going to make? Is it on the market yet? High dollar but some nice gadgets.
1500 bucks though I think, last I heard. But that was over a year ago. Whats the deal is it available now? What do you guys think about it? Other then the price?

Jayrock
11-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Hey, whatever happened to that SKULLY AR 1 helmet they were going to make? Is it on the market yet? High dollar but some nice gadgets.
1500 bucks though I think, last I heard. But that was over a year ago. Whats the deal is it available now? What do you guys think about it? Other then the price?

According to the Skully website, the ESTIMATED delivery date for pre-ordered $1499 helmets is March 2016.

VStarRider
11-19-2015, 07:18 PM
I currently ride with an old, cheap HJC helmet. I will be purchasing a new one before Spring. I was planning on getting the $500 Schuberth on RevZilla (forgot the model, but it is supposed to be the quietest helmet on the market). However, with the Madstad windshield, I have been wondering if I need to spend that kinda money to get a quiet helmet. The Madstad has essentially eliminated wind noise and buffeting in most conditions.

Hornblower
11-20-2015, 09:22 AM
I currently ride with an old, cheap HJC helmet. I will be purchasing a new one before Spring. I was planning on getting the $500 Schuberth on RevZilla (forgot the model, but it is supposed to be the quietest helmet on the market). However, with the Madstad windshield, I have been wondering if I need to spend that kinda money to get a quiet helmet. The Madstad has essentially eliminated wind noise and buffeting in most conditions.

While you're helmet shopping at Revzilla, take a look at the Kabuto Ibuki modular helmet. It's a little less expensive than the Schuberth and has so many great features. While your point about the quietness provided by the Madstad is valid, there are other important features to consider in a helmet besides quietness.

VStarRider
11-20-2015, 07:00 PM
While you're helmet shopping at Revzilla, take a look at the Kabuto Ibuki modular helmet. It's a little less expensive than the Schuberth and has so many great features. While your point about the quietness provided by the Madstad is valid, there are other important features to consider in a helmet besides quietness.

I've only considered quietness, safety, visibility and comfort. What else should I be looking for?

BIGLRY
11-20-2015, 09:37 PM
I've only considered quietness, safety, visibility and comfort. What else should I be looking for?I think you have it covered (pun intended), but I would change the order in which you listed them, comfort & visibility = safety and quietness would be my last concern.

Deer Slayer
11-20-2015, 11:42 PM
Hornblower and I are running the Sena 20 S, and so far very happy with them. Line of sight 1 mile is great. I am running Xm sat radio thru 88.1 FM on the head set. Blue tooth beats the socks of CB!
:cheers:

SimonTemplar
11-21-2015, 03:12 AM
........Blue tooth beats the socks of CB!

I hear that. I don't even have the patience for dealing with CB these days!

Btw, Slayer....greets from W/S!

....sT

Hornblower
11-21-2015, 09:17 AM
I've only considered quietness, safety, visibility and comfort. What else should I be looking for?

Just trying to help VStar...if this is a serious comment my answer would be the following but not necessarily limited to just these:

build quality
aerodynamics to reduce wind buffeting
ratchet-style quick fastener (on Kabuto)
pin-lock
optically distortion-free shields
excellent speaker pockets
easy to operate vents, shields, and modular front
quick-change face shield
room in front for mic
space to insert glasses temple arms

VStarRider
11-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Just trying to help VStar...if this is a serious comment my answer would be the following but not necessarily limited to just these:

build quality
aerodynamics to reduce wind buffeting
ratchet-style quick fastener (on Kabuto)
pin-lock
optically distortion-free shields
excellent speaker pockets
easy to operate vents, shields, and modular front
quick-change face shield
room in front for mic
space to insert glasses temple arms

Thanks. I assure you I wasn't being sarcastic. As I mentioned, I was interested in the Schuberth because I read that it was the quietest helmet on the market. At the time, I was riding my old VStar and was getting excessive noise and buffeting at times. I didn't pull the trigger because of the $500 price tags. With the B and Madstad, noise and buffeting are basically not an issue, even with my old cheap HJC (I think it was a $99 helmet about 20 years ago). I know I need an upgrade (well overdue) but I do not think a $500 helmet is necessary anymore.

I want most of what you mentioned, with a priority on comfort, visibility (both through the visor AND being seen by cagers) and safety. I find myself often riding with the visor open these days, so that's a must.

blackmetoc
11-21-2015, 04:50 PM
My mic just snapped at the joint for my Sena system. I need to look at replacing that. Maybe THIS is the ticket!

Hornblower
11-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Thanks. I assure you I wasn't being sarcastic. As I mentioned, I was interested in the Schuberth because I read that it was the quietest helmet on the market. At the time, I was riding my old VStar and was getting excessive noise and buffeting at times. I didn't pull the trigger because of the $500 price tags. With the B and Madstad, noise and buffeting are basically not an issue, even with my old cheap HJC (I think it was a $99 helmet about 20 years ago). I know I need an upgrade (well overdue) but I do not think a $500 helmet is necessary anymore.

I want most of what you mentioned, with a priority on comfort, visibility (both through the visor AND being seen by cagers) and safety. I find myself often riding with the visor open these days, so that's a must.

Good point about the Madstad on the B...you're really in a "pocket" behind the windscreen where there is little to no noise or buffeting. In my case, I'm also riding a Ninja 1000 where a quiet helmet with good aerodynamic design is highly desirable.

Fla_rider
11-23-2015, 09:53 AM
if I were buying a bluetooth helmet then the reason for buying it would be to replace sound coming out of the speakers and utilization of talking on a phone call. If the helmet can't last a 10 hr day of listening to rock and a occasional phone call then I'm not buying. Battery lifetime is my main concern if I'm spending the extra dough. All the other categories better be up to snuff!

Deer Slayer
11-24-2015, 10:23 PM
I hear that. I don't even have the patience for dealing with CB these days!

Btw, Slayer....greets from W/S!

....sT

Back at ya from Advance..