PDA

View Full Version : Just pulled the trigger

xzvs
08-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Did the paperwork today--- take delivery of my (in the crate) black f6b on Wednesday- will assemble myself (I am a Honda tech )-- I currently own a 99 Valkyrie (daily rider) which will be cleaned up and sold to help offset the cost. I figure I may as well get the closest thing to a new Valkyrie as I love mine but she is getting a little long in the tooth (136k miles - not a leak - not a puff of blue out the 6 pipes). Wanted to say "hey" and no I wont help you change the air filter (ain't my first rodeo).

Honda Raider
08-10-2013, 04:54 PM
It's cool to hear that a Honda Tech wants an F6B. Glad for you. Ride safe! :icon_cool:

unsub
08-10-2013, 05:16 PM
So this is my first GL1800. The test unit I drove was a full on 2013 GW but bottom end sounded a bit raspy for the first 10 minutes. Is this the norm? Otherwise a beautiful motorcycle to drive. Looking forward to Tuesday.

What I like about the F6

1. GW platform so parts and accessories "should" be abundant.
2. Proven frame, suspension, brakes, and engine.
3. Aluminum frame.

XZVS are my expectations on point...or?

xzvs
08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
you would have to define "raspy" I take it as a grating sound . On acceleration I get what I may call a "burble" from the exhaust -- kinda throaty in a v-8 sorta way. ALL the wings I have ridden stock are far too quiet for me. I have worked on everything from boss hosses to mopeds and the wing is by far the smoothest engine on a bike ever -- too smooth. If you need me I'll be the guy drilling holes in my brand new exhaust .
Mind you I don't wanna sound like a twin -- my valk sounds like a smallblock chevy with a cam

xzvs
08-10-2013, 05:45 PM
and unsub -- I am not going to sugar coat it -- the wing is a PAIN IN THE ASS to work on -- they are basically engineered never to break but as Douglas Adams said best "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair." Now there was a frame recall around 03 which basically requires tearing the bike down to the frame (not relevant in later years) and they still trickle in and we still cringe but damn if they dont fire right back up with no problems after being ripped apart and welded on. It speaks volumes that I choose to spend the bucks and get one -- as I only get to see the "sick puppies"

Steve 0080
08-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Welcome !!!!!!! .............

xzvs
08-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda Raider as I lived in San Diego for 10 years I fear we must be mortal enemies -- but fret not -- I am a Saint's Fan

xzvs
08-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Welcome !!!!!!! .............

thanks Steve :)

xzvs
08-10-2013, 06:02 PM
am probably going to have to "ghost in" my own fleur dis lis

Trike lady
08-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting the F6B. :biggthumpup:
Nothing like getting to PDI your own bike and taking it for the test ride.
I'm motorcycle tech and trike builder.

unsub
08-10-2013, 06:59 PM
XZVS

Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm not concerned really, could be a hundred different things to my untrained ear that are of no consequence at all and that is not the bike I'm bringing home anyway.:icon_wink:

Tuesday's a little closer every minute:icon_lol:

Drive safe

erazor55
08-10-2013, 07:07 PM
XZVS

Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm not concerned really, could be a hundred different things to my untrained ear that are of no consequence at all and that is not the bike I'm bringing home anyway.:icon_wink:

Tuesday's a little closer every minute:icon_lol:

Drive safe

Congrats! This is one of my purchases based on "that's too cool, I have to have one". The first one was the V45 Sabre. That was an awesome bike back when it was released. I loved it. And, I love the F6B.

Even as old as I am, I get anxious if I don't take it for a ride every day.

Bike44
08-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Welcome xzvs to the F6B and this Forum. It's been a great place to learn and share for those of us that aren't in the business and just ride and wrench for fun.

If you have the time and interest go back over some of the older threads to get a glimpse of what we discuss.

Honda Raider
08-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Honda Raider as I lived in San Diego for 10 years I fear we must be mortal enemies -- but fret not -- I am a Saint's Fan

I started following the Raiders in 1967 as a kid, right after I moved to Texas. Back then, it was easy to love 'em and I didn't know any better. I'm hopeful they can "right the ship" in the next few years. I think the NFL is better when it has an established spoiler like the Raiders. Too bad they haven't been that in a long time. BTW, the Saints are a great team and fun to watch.

Mustangjake
08-11-2013, 07:58 AM
You will be a nice Addition to the form !
Was this a Birthday present yourself ?

xzvs
08-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Actually -- yes-- My fiancee' asked what I wanted for my bday and I said a F6b -- it got a little slow at work fri afternoon and I was helping sales with building generators (hurricane season here) and still joking told him not to let anyone sit on "my" bike (F6B) he said well put something down on it and i'll rope that sucker off. I said -- well seriously how much would I have to put down-- he said -- lets run a credit check and find out -- rest is history. Do keep in mind that neither sales nor finance got to make a cent off of me. The one on the floor happened to be a deluxe and while I wouldn't mind a backrest and a centerstand - I can turn off my own turn signals and do not need heated grips here in the south and $1000 dollars buys a lot of fuel. We have 3 locations so I found one in the crate about 50 miles away and they should bring it by with our regular stock run weds

xzvs
08-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Erazor-- my Uncle has an old V65 Magna that is cherry -- he swears that if he still owns it at the time of his death that it is to go to me (he and I are the only 2 bikers in a rather large family)