PDA

View Full Version : Hand held Cobra CB,,, anyone have one???

DMAGOLDRDR
10-24-2015, 08:36 AM
I have been through the advanced search but am not having much luck.

A couple weeks back I was out on a 3,000 mi trip with 2 other Wings and was missing the CB I had on my Valk Interstate. I am not interested in a $500 unit, but the Cobra hand held looks like just the thing to throw on the F6B for a trip. There is a company that has plug and play wiring and a handlebar mounted PTT switch just for mounting this unit to a Wing.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit.

Hornblower
10-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Not the Cobra but I'm using a Midland handheld (75-822) with decent success. If I wanted to get more serious, I would consider adding the P&P wiring and PTT handlebar switch.

yellow rex
10-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Contact Overby's two wheel Sound, he will tell everything you need to know and he makes cables to make it plug and play, I ride with
a friend who uses this set up it, seems to work well.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Not the Cobra but I'm using a Midland handheld (75-822) with decent success. If I wanted to get more serious, I would consider adding the P&P wiring and PTT handlebar switch.

That Midland looks comparable to the Cobra. Thanks for the info...

DMAGOLDRDR
10-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Contact Overby's two wheel Sound, he will tell everything you need to know and he makes cables to make it plug and play, I ride with
a friend who uses this set up it, seems to work well.

Thanks,,, he has a good price on the Midland also.

Norm
10-24-2015, 02:05 PM
I have been through the advanced search but am not having much luck.

A couple weeks back I was out on a 3,000 mi trip with 2 other Wings and was missing the CB I had on my Valk Interstate. I am not interested in a $500 unit, but the Cobra hand held looks like just the thing to throw on the F6B for a trip. There is a company that has plug and play wiring and a handlebar mounted PTT switch just for mounting this unit to a Wing.

Has anyone had any experience with this unit.

Hi! I have a HH38WXST hand held Cobra CB. I have only used it a couple of times. It worked fine for a short time, but then a problem. The radio was fine, but the cable that came with the radio that plugged into the Speaker and Mic(PTT) went bad. It plugged into the right side of the radio and the cable coming out of that plug came out 90 degrees downward and pressed against the power plug (F6b Power) and broke the speaker wire. Cobra has another Speaker/Mic(PTT) cable that comes straight out and away from other plugs. Get that one.
My radio came with a handle bar mount. It works, but the radio fits to loosely on the mount for my comfort. I secure it better with and large rubber band. Also when the radio is not mounted the mount which is metal is very shape and it will cut you if not careful. I made a leather boot to slip on it when radio is not there.
The radio came with a 12 inch antenna. I purchased a retractable antenna that extends to 24 inches. Cobra has these. Yes, better reception. Remember. Whip antennas radiate 360 degrees, but are also line of site antennas. Hills, building, and vegetation all play a part & can hamper communications. You should not have any problem riding with you friends.

shooter
10-24-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm like Ken. I have the Midland. It works great. I carry it in my Truck also. I have a external antenna hook up under the seat of the truck. The external antenna really extends the range.

ths61
10-24-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm like Ken. I have the Midland. It works great. I carry it in my Truck also. I have a external antenna hook up under the seat of the truck. The external antenna really extends the range.

Are these external antennas tuneable with an SWR meter?

Hornblower
10-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Are these external antennas tuneable with an SWR meter?

Yes, I tuned my Firestik II FS-2BK with a Workman SWR-2T meter.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi! I have a HH38WXST hand held Cobra CB. I have only used it a couple of times. It worked fine for a short time, but then a problem. The radio was fine, but the cable that came with the radio that plugged into the Speaker and Mic(PTT) went bad. It plugged into the right side of the radio and the cable coming out of that plug came out 90 degrees downward and pressed against the power plug (F6b Power) and broke the speaker wire. Cobra has another Speaker/Mic(PTT) cable that comes straight out and away from other plugs. Get that one.
My radio came with a handle bar mount. It works, but the radio fits to loosely on the mount for my comfort. I secure it better with and large rubber band. Also when the radio is not mounted the mount which is metal is very shape and it will cut you if not careful. I made a leather boot to slip on it when radio is not there.
The radio came with a 12 inch antenna. I purchased a retractable antenna that extends to 24 inches. Cobra has these. Yes, better reception. Remember. Whip antennas radiate 360 degrees, but are also line of site antennas. Hills, building, and vegetation all play a part & can hamper communications. You should not have any problem riding with you friends.

Great info, thank you for your help.
From the pictures on their site,, I did notice the mount looked a bit rough cut and down right ugly without the CB in place.

NCF6B
10-24-2015, 04:25 PM
I have used both cobra and midland handhelds. Like the midland because of its low profile. Got it from Sierra electronics. They have been great working me through a few bugs. Have it tied into an external antenna. use headsets and Mike from air rider. Handlebar mounted ptt. button. Both worked very well and were well supported by both companies. Just got back from a 120+ mi. ride with every type of bike you can imagine and CB worked great. I don't think you can go wrong with either one or either company! Just my thoughts based on experience.

DMAGOLDRDR
10-26-2015, 07:51 AM
I have used both cobra and midland handhelds. Like the midland because of its low profile. Got it from Sierra electronics. They have been great working me through a few bugs. Have it tied into an external antenna. use headsets and Mike from air rider. Handlebar mounted ptt. button. Both worked very well and were well supported by both companies. Just got back from a 120+ mi. ride with every type of bike you can imagine and CB worked great. I don't think you can go wrong with either one or either company! Just my thoughts based on experience.

Thank you very much for the great info. I see the folks from Sierra Electronics at Americade every year so I will more than likely go with them. I like to support folks that show up to local events...Thanks again.