PDA

View Full Version : Where should I store my VStar?

VStarRider
10-25-2015, 01:42 PM
I unexpectedly bought the F6B two weeks ago; wasn't planning on it till Spring. Now I have two bikes in the garage, and my car is outside. There is room for both cars and one bike in the 20x20 garage, but not two bikes, two cars. I need a place to put my beloved 2004 VStar till I reluctantly sell it in the Spring. I have a storage shed out back where I keep my mowers and lawn equipment, but it does have mice (though they've never harmed anything out there but a pair of gloves).I can put it in there but am worried about rodents. I can put it in my friends garage but he lives 40 miles away, so I would have to tow it there, or ride it there and have my wife come get me. What a pain. Should I just put in the shed, pull the battery, squirt some oil in the cylinders and not think about it till April?

opas ride
10-25-2015, 02:31 PM
I unexpectedly bought the F6B two weeks ago; wasn't planning on it till Spring. Now I have two bikes in the garage, and my car is outside. There is room for both cars and one bike in the 20x20 garage, but not two bikes, two cars. I need a place to put my beloved 2004 VStar till I reluctantly sell it in the Spring. I have a storage shed out back where I keep my mowers and lawn equipment, but it does have mice (though they've never harmed anything out there but a pair of gloves).I can put it in there but am worried about rodents. I can put it in my friends garage but he lives 40 miles away, so I would have to tow it there, or ride it there and have my wife come get me. What a pain. Should I just put in the shed, pull the battery, squirt some oil in the cylinders and not think about it till April?
Your call, but I would leave one of the cars outside...I live in Michigan where it gets really cold and nasty at times in the winter, and in over 40 years in the same house, and raising five kids, have never put a car in the garage and never had any issues with rust, battery, or anything more serious than frozen wiper blades stuck to the windshield at times.....Been through over 15 cars and 18 motorcycles in that time...Good luck....

BobR
10-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Rent a storage unit for the winter. Should not cost much for one that is the size of your V Star. Make sure to either drain the fluid or use Stabil 360 in the fuel. It will help keep the fuel from degrading and also keeps the tank from rusting. Make sure the coolant is up to snuff as far as it's ability to fight off the cold in your area.

willtill
10-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Your call, but I would leave one of the cars outside...I live in Michigan where it gets really cold and nasty at times in the winter, and in over 40 years in the same house, and raising five kids, have never put a car in the garage and never had any issues with rust, battery, or anything more serious than frozen wiper blades stuck to the windshield at times.....Been through over 15 cars and 18 motorcycles in that time...Good luck....

Agree with this. Leave one of the cars outside. It's a no brainer.

willtill
10-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Rent a storage unit for the winter. Should not cost much for one that is the size of your V Star. Make sure to either drain the fluid or use Stabil 360 in the fuel. It will help keep the fuel from degrading and also keeps the tank from rusting. Make sure the coolant is up to snuff as far as it's ability to fight off the cold in your area.

SeaFoam is better. Don't use Stabil. And don't drain the fuel. Top off the tank to keep condensation out of it; you will get swings in temperature that will cause condensation later...

opas ride
10-25-2015, 06:20 PM
SeaFoam is better. Don't use Stabil. And don't drain the fuel. Top off the tank to keep condensation out of it; you will get swings in temperature that will cause condensation later...

I have had some issues with using Stabil in the past...Since I switched to SeaFoam in my bike, mowers, generator, etc. etc. no issues getting them going in the Spring....As said above, don't drain the tank on the bike, fill it up, start it to let a little fuel into the system, plug in a Battery Tender, cover with something that lets the paint breathe and leave alone until Spring.....JMHO

willtill
10-25-2015, 06:44 PM
I have had some issues with using Stabil in the past...Since I switched to SeaFoam in my bike, mowers, generator, etc. etc. no issues getting them going in the Spring....As said above, don't drain the tank on the bike, fill it up, start it to let a little fuel into the system, plug in a Battery Tender, cover with something that lets the paint breathe and leave alone until Spring.....JMHO

I have witnessed Stabil forming crystals at the bottom of my fuel cans and gas tanks. I will not use it.

stroguy
10-25-2015, 06:48 PM
In the neighbors garage.

JackB
10-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Put in the shed.
They say that mice don't like moth balls, or Irish Spring soap cut into slices (shaved).
I don't like kepting my cars outside either.

Willl
10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Drop the bike off at your friends and take your wife and buddy out to lunch :icon_cool:

BIGLRY
10-26-2015, 11:42 AM
I have had some issues with using Stabil in the past...Since I switched to SeaFoam in my bike, mowers, generator, etc. etc. no issues getting them going in the Spring....As said above, don't drain the tank on the bike, fill it up, start it to let a little fuel into the system, plug in a Battery Tender, cover with something that lets the paint breathe and leave alone until Spring.....JMHOGreat ways to set it up for storage and a full tank is a must:yes:
I might add along with raising the tire pressure 10 psi if setting on the side stand.
If mice are an issue where you planning to store your steel steed then plug the exhaust pipe's outlet holes with some oily rags then set a few blocks of mouse poison, one at each tire an one by the center/side stand. I use TomCat baits and have had no more problems with mouse nest in my air boxes or exhaust or wiring looms being eaten since doing this with stored bikes in my mouse infested warehouse.
https://www.beatlas.com/img/products/676031239.jpg

VStarRider
10-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the input. Leaving one car outside...it would seem like the easiest thing to do, but I absolutely despise scraping windows and brushing snow off cars. I live in upstate NY, and my area gets 100"+ of snow annually. Leaving the car out all winter is not an option as I have been spoiled by leaving my cars in the garage for over ten years now. Not about to go backwards. Not worried about rust, or anything like that...worried about my convenience and frustration.

I'll probably put in the shed, follow all of the advice on winterizing it (no one said to squirt oil/fogging oil in the cylinders..surprised at that) and keeping the mice at bay. Its just the easiest thing to do.

Jayrock
10-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the input. Leaving one car outside...it would seem like the easiest thing to do, but I absolutely despise scraping windows and brushing snow off cars. I live in upstate NY, and my area gets 100"+ of snow annually. Leaving the car out all winter is not an option as I have been spoiled by leaving my cars in the garage for over ten years now. Not about to go backwards. Not worried about rust, or anything like that...worried about my convenience and frustration.

I'll probably put in the shed, follow all of the advice on winterizing it (no one said to squirt oil/fogging oil in the cylinders..surprised at that) and keeping the mice at bay. Its just the easiest thing to do.

Assuming the vehicle you're leaving outside is a car & not a pickup truck, you could buy a car cover from your local auto store. We don't get that much snow here in Calgary, but lots of cold nights where ice forms on everything. In late fall/early winter, every night I cover my car when I get home at night, then fold up the cover (actually it's more like BUNCH up the car cover) in the morning and drive away.... It doesn't look pretty, but every morning when others are freezing while scraping ice or sweeping snow off their vehicles, I'm rolling away.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/48358221_614.jpg

motoman
10-26-2015, 09:43 PM
You could always put it on Craigslist and see if someone else wants to store it for you... :039:

naga viper
10-26-2015, 10:28 PM
I was talking to a guy that came to job for some technical support and we got talking about bikes and he was from Canada he left his v rod in she'd last winter and would start it once a week. We'll he cracked a o ring in thermostat and $$$1300.00$! Later had a brand new. 20 cent o ring.
Well he has decided to store in the dealership for the price of $250.00 for the winter months. Might want to look into that option also.heated insured ect.

valkmc
10-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Not sure how I got away with it but in my youth I stored my 1986 1100 Shadow in a dirt floor shed for several winters. I put a tarp on the floor, changed the oil, filled the gas tank and added dry gas. I took the battery inside and kept it charged. Every two weeks I put it back in and ran the bike for a few minutes. I lived in upstate NY 13 miles from Lake Ontario. Common to hit zero or below several days during the winter. I also coated the wheels with Vaseline after I cleaned them.

Never had a problem and that bike was one of two Honda's I owned that reached 100k. I would not even consider doing it to my 6. But if you are in a pinch with no other alternatives, it can be down with prior preparation.

willtill
10-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Not sure how I got away with it but in my youth I stored my 1986 1100 Shadow in a dirt floor shed for several winters. I put a tarp on the floor, changed the oil, filled the gas tank and added dry gas. I took the battery inside and kept it charged. Every two weeks I put it back in and ran the bike for a few minutes. I lived in upstate NY 13 miles from Lake Ontario. Common to hit zero or below several days during the winter. I also coated the wheels with Vaseline after I cleaned them.

Never had a problem and that bike was one of two Honda's I owned that reached 100k. I would not even consider doing it to my 6. But if you are in a pinch with no other alternatives, it can be down with prior preparation.

I do not understand why folks want to start their bike every week or so; while in storage. If your putting it in storage for 3-4 months; that engine doesn't need to be started.

If you do start it; you need to operate it (meaning ride it around) so it gets completely warmed up; so condensation is driven out of the crankcase.

Just let the bikes sleep. With all the normal prep that has been discussed already.

Cobraguy
10-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Your can store it at my house here East of San Diego a few minutes. I'll start it regularly and keep it limber so it's ready for your enjoyment anytime:icon_wink:

VStarRider
10-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Your can store it at my house here East of San Diego a few minutes. I'll start it regularly and keep it limber so it's ready for your enjoyment anytime:icon_wink:

I have been to San Diego! Very nice, would love an excuse to return! Probably not too practical. :icon_lol:

JackB
10-27-2015, 06:32 PM
I have been to San Diego! Very nice, would love an excuse to return! Probably not too practical. :icon_lol:

I go to San Diego ever winter for about 2 weeks. So I will also help with keeping the bike in top running condition.'riding''riding''riding'

VStarRider
10-27-2015, 07:38 PM
I go to San Diego ever winter for about 2 weeks. So I will also help with keeping the bike in top running condition.'riding''riding''riding'

You guys are so eager to ride my old VStar in San Diego…just buy for $3000 and ride it at home! I'll keep the NY plate on it, just send it back to me. :039: