PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss not having a reverse gear?

oldman
10-26-2015, 12:01 PM
I've pretty much decided that I will be buying a new bike in the Spring, and the F6b is at the top of my list. I've tried to get myself excited about another bike as well, but after a demo ride on a sport tourer I'm just not sure I could enjoy that riding position for long rides at my age. I still haven't been able to set up a demo ride on the F6b but just the feel of it in the dealership (the one on the floor was already sold so they wouldn't let me take it out for a ride) was more than enticing. But the lack of the reverse gear on this 850 pound bike has me a bit nervous. I wonder how many of you with F6b's regret not getting the Goldwing for just that feature.

six2go
10-26-2015, 12:38 PM
To answer your question.......no. I'm also "not young"(71) and stand 5'8". This bike is much easier to move around than my 98 Valkyrie that I had for 16 yrs. I have just learned to pay attention to the "slope of the land" when I park. I can paddle it around while astride or move it without being in the saddle just fine. For me reverse is a non issue.

FlyinF
10-26-2015, 12:49 PM
I had a Goldwing and only used reverse twice. First time I used it was just to see how it worked, second time I wasn't paying attention and parked on a slop.............I could have managed but since I had reverse I used it. Reverse should not be a factor in determining if you want a certain bike. I've been riding two wheels since the early '60's and never needed reverse. The F6 is a great bike, go for it!

ths61
10-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I have been using the same reverse for @ 40 years and it has only failed me once. Just need to think/plan ahead.

VStarRider
10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
I am a fairly young guy (40 y/o) and I pull up next to my house and back the B by hand up a slight incline (while turning, also) into the garage. It's heavy, but manageable. I don't think reverse is necessary. It doesn't feel that much heavier than my 600 lb VStar.

shooter
10-26-2015, 03:21 PM
You can't miss what you've never had. Just ride and park smart. Without reverse there is a little thinking involved on a bike this heavy.

opas ride
10-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I am 75+ years old about 5' 9" and weigh close to 200 lbs...Never had a issue with my Victory Vision Tour, (900lbs) or the F6B...Just be careful where you park and all will be fine...I back mine down a 40' driveway, slightly downhill, and have no issues with it...I do have the lower Mustang seat and 1/2" higher soles/heels on my boots which really helps in backing up!!!....Go for the F6B and don't give a thought to the reverse as most I know never use it....Ride safe

willtill
10-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Yep. As shooter said "can't miss something that I've never had". :icon_mrgreen:

dickiedeals
10-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Yep. As shooter said "can't miss something that I've never had". :icon_mrgreen:

+1.......................Dickie

motoman
10-26-2015, 06:58 PM
If I did have one, It would have to make the "beep-beep-beep" noise like the big trucks do... :icon_lol:

shooter
10-26-2015, 08:19 PM
If I did have one, It would have to make the "beep-beep-beep" noise like the big trucks do... :icon_lol:

Oh hell yeah!! Beep , Beep , Beep move over. Big B is backing up!!!

seadog
10-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Never had one, never have needed one and being an old truck driver was totally amazed that this was the first bike I have ever had that you could back up just using the mirrors. I don't have to crank my old neck around to back it into the garage, just very pleased with every aspect of this bike.:yes::yes:

Wing'n it
10-27-2015, 11:53 AM
I think the only time you would really need it is if your pulling a trailer. I had it on my 02 Wing and don't remember ever using it except to show people how cool it was to have it. Don't miss it at all on my F6.

valkmc
10-27-2015, 12:24 PM
I think the only time you would really need it is if your pulling a trailer. I had it on my 02 Wing and don't remember ever using it except to show people how cool it was to have it. Don't miss it at all on my F6.

Yes I used it often while pulling my trailer hardly ever with out the trailer. I also used it as a parking brake. My driveway is on a slant and when I first got my Wing I pulled it out of the garage. While I was putting on my helmet and coat the bike was idling and it rolled off the kickstand. I found if you left the bike in neutral and engaged the reverse button it couldn't do that while it warmed up and I got ready to go. Kind of an expensive parking brake.

motozeke
10-27-2015, 09:41 PM
The only time I could definitely have used it was when I parked in some particularly loose gravel and the bike just bogged. Had to get off and pull it back by the bars. Discovered that I was so nervous about standing the bike all the way up (for fear it would tip to the other side) that I let it lean against me while I pulled it back. Mistake. Tilted too far, and flopped down. A reverse gear would probably have been able to pull the bike out nicely.

In the end, like others have said, just be mindful where you park. Even slight negative inclines are manageable, doesn't have to be perfectly flat.

One thing I avoid religiously: parking spots with gutters behind them. Like this one: http://bwengr.com/gallery/grading-and-drainage/grading-parking-lot.JPG I've gotten a bit stuck in that business before.

Greg O
10-28-2015, 12:29 PM
I have never owned a bike with a reverse gear, but if the bike would have came with one I would use it if necessary.

GHOSTRACER
10-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Had it on my LT and used it a few times, but as others have said:
- watch where you park.
- not to difficult to walk back while on the saddle (I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam).
- don't really miss it.

SmallPasture
10-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I've had a 97' & 07' full wing and loved the reverse capabilities! You don't have to be picky about parking! Plus being on the short stature side it was a blessing!

I miss it even more now when my darling wife an I pull into a place and she parks her Spyder where ever the hell she wants to and I have to hunt!

Old Ryder
10-29-2015, 06:04 PM
Can't miss what you never had. Wings are different than the B. I don't know why guys buy a B and then try to make it a Wing or else wish it was.

Retired Army
10-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Triking the F6B with out reverse puts a premium on parking planning. :icon_cool:

gmorstad
10-29-2015, 07:26 PM
I've pretty much decided that I will be buying a new bike in the Spring, and the F6b is at the top of my list. I've tried to get myself excited about another bike as well, but after a demo ride on a sport tourer I'm just not sure I could enjoy that riding position for long rides at my age. I still haven't been able to set up a demo ride on the F6b but just the feel of it in the dealership (the one on the floor was already sold so they wouldn't let me take it out for a ride) was more than enticing. But the lack of the reverse gear on this 850 pound bike has me a bit nervous. I wonder how many of you with F6b's regret not getting the Goldwing for just that feature.

As you speak about a sport tourer I can tell you I had one (ST1300) and now ride the F6b. I am 61 years old and just over 6 feet tall. I have a much easier time backing the F6b than the ST1300 because with the lower seat I get more torque with my legs. I really don't ever feel a need for reverse. By the way, you are correct in thinking the F6b would be more comfortable for longer rides. Putting forward pegs on the F6b added even more comfort.

SmallPasture
11-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Can't miss what you never had. Wings are different than the B. I don't know why guys buy a B and then try to make it a Wing or else wish it was.

If you've never had it then why would make that statement? A F6B w/ reverse is in no way a Wing.

oldman
11-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Other than the tail box and the larger windscreen, what makes the F6b different from a Goldwing? I'm not asking to make a point, but really wondering. I really hope to buy an F6b next spring; just sitting on one felt much different than I felt sitting on a Goldwing, but I wonder if that was fully due to the large windscreen on the Goldwing. Maybe I just need to try a demo ride on both bikes and see if I find much difference, and if I do, determine which one is for me. But I know I prefer to look over a windscreen rather than through it. I also know that the Goldwing would give me the reverse gear. And although price is not the only factor, it did occur to me that the $5K or so increase in price for the Goldwing seems to be primarily for the tail box and the reverse gear, which seems a bit steep.

Convert
11-03-2015, 02:25 PM
After taking my 2013 F6B on several long distance rides (3-4,000 miles), I decided to trade it off and get a Full Wing. For the kind of riding I do, it's nice to have reverse, navigation, heated seats and grips, cruise control, adjustable screen, foot warmers, adjustable headlight and a better stereo not to mention a lot of added storage space that is lockable with the push of a button. Buying a leftover 2014 came with a $6,000.00 discount too. I liked the B just fine but it can't really be compared to a GL1800 for the type of riding I do most often.

SmallPasture
11-03-2015, 03:05 PM
After taking my 2013 F6B on several long distance rides (3-4,000 miles), I decided to trade it off and get a Full Wing. For the kind of riding I do, it's nice to have reverse, navigation, heated seats and grips, cruise control, adjustable screen, foot warmers, adjustable headlight and a better stereo not to mention a lot of added storage space that is lockable with the push of a button. Buying a leftover 2014 came with a $6,000.00 discount too. I liked the B just fine but it can't really be compared to a GL1800 for the type of riding I do most often.

A lot of difference between a Goldwing and the F6B!

Old Ryder
11-04-2015, 01:23 PM
If you've never had it then why would make that statement? A F6B w/ reverse is in no way a Wing.

An F6B is much lighter---hence it has better performance. I think the drive train and most everything else is the same, so some changes are necessary.

Question:How do you shave off weight?????
Answer: Take off items that are on a Goldwing such as cruise, reverse, trunk, make a smaller lighter seat, etc.....Along with not having all those items, it also made it a bike I could afford!

My point is that the B is a different style of bike than the Wing. It is made to be lighter and sportier and not a full luxury tour model--and cheaper. Buying a B and then adding reverse, cruise, bigger seat, trunk, barn door windshield, etc... is kinda like making it into a wing---which I cannot afford.

Guys do it and since it is their bike and their money it is their choice. If you want a bike with reverse---then buy one. The B don't come with one. It is one of the things that make an F6B an F6B and not a Goldwing. :cheers: and I wanted an F6B.

Riknchar
11-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Other than the tail box and the larger windscreen, what makes the F6b different from a Goldwing? I'm not asking to make a point, but really wondering. I really hope to buy an F6b next spring; just sitting on one felt much different than I felt sitting on a Goldwing, but I wonder if that was fully due to the large windscreen on the Goldwing. Maybe I just need to try a demo ride on both bikes and see if I find much difference, and if I do, determine which one is for me. But I know I prefer to look over a windscreen rather than through it. I also know that the Goldwing would give me the reverse gear. And although price is not the only factor, it did occur to me that the $5K or so increase in price for the Goldwing seems to be primarily for the tail box and the reverse gear, which seems a bit steep.

Other major differences, in my mind, between the F6B and the full Wing are the stock seat and exhaust system.

The seat on the F6B is much larger, a bit more "slippery," and without as much of a defined low backrest to separate the driver and passenger seat. The Goldwing seat is quite a bit smaller, softer, and "form-fitting" with a pronounced low backrest. Depending on your body size/time, one or the other will likely fit you much better. For larger/taller riders, the F6B seat is better, and for shorter, smaller people (I'm 5'9", 165 lbs, with a 32-inch inseam) the Goldwing seat fits perfectly. Of course, there are after market options to get just the right seat comfort on the F6B, so I'm only talking about the stock seat setup.

The exhaust system on the full Wing is quite a bit quieter than the one on the F6B (especially the 2015 model). Many people prefer the "throatier" exhaust note of the F6B, but I found for myself, I actually prefer the more muted sound of the full Wing pipes. I'm not as much into the sportiness factor as I am into the long-distance comfort factor (I drive a Lexus car instead of an BMW for basically the same reason).

The windshield can/should be changed out on either of the bikes, in my opinion. I also like to look over the shield, and have found the WindBender to be a great option for either bike. I've owned several full Wings and a 2015 F6B...

Riknchar
11-04-2015, 05:01 PM

One other point I forgot to mention: Great deals can be had on either bike, from my experience, and there is no where near $5000 difference in price between the two. I paid a total of $19,300 for my 2015 F6B Deluxe in March of 2015 (MSRP was $23,500 I think). I sold that one 2 months later and was able to negotiate a new 2015 Full Wing (Audio Comfort model) for $20,200 (sticker price on that one was $23,999 I think). So the difference for me was only $900, and I gained the reverse gear, large trunk/backrest, better audio system, heated seat, etc. I basically used the threat of getting one at Honda of Russellville to "inspire" my local dealer to give me a great price both times.