PDA

View Full Version : Time for new tires

espiros
10-26-2015, 11:09 PM
3 months after I brought my f6, I have 9,000 miles in it....I love this bike.

How can I know if the tires need to be replaced?

They look good still.

Is there a Tool I could use to check the life left in them?

Also, which tires would you recomend

seadog
10-27-2015, 05:38 AM
As with most tires they have wear bars built into the tire and if you can see them and they are across the width of the tire its time for replacement.

espiros
10-27-2015, 08:30 AM
As with most tires they have wear bars built into the tire and if you can see them and they are across the width of the tire its time for replacement.

Thank you Seadog.

Texas TC
10-27-2015, 10:02 AM
From my experience, you should get 15000+ miles on the rear tire and 20000+ miles on the front. At 32000 miles, I am on my third rear and second front tire. Also, I am a big fan of the OEM Bridgestones.

seadog
10-27-2015, 10:07 AM
From my experience, you should get 15000+ miles on the rear tire and 20000+ miles on the front. At 32000 miles, I am on my third rear and second front tire. Also, I am a big fan of the OEM Bridgestones.

If your not an aggressive rider you might get those mileage, my rear tire is already at the wear bars at 7000 miles so it varies according to the type of riding you do.

espiros
10-27-2015, 01:40 PM
If your not an aggressive rider you might get those mileage, my rear tire is already at the wear bars at 7000 miles so it varies according to the type of riding you do.

Well, I just check them and, they still have some of the little rubber hairs, specially the front tire.
It could be that inflating the tires with nitro really helps?

On the other hand, I ride fast but I'm not burning rubber at every corner, in fact I rarely do you....

seadog
10-27-2015, 05:37 PM
Well, I just check them and, they still have some of the little rubber hairs, specially the front tire.
It could be that inflating the tires with nitro really helps?

On the other hand, I ride fast but I'm not burning rubber at every corner, in fact I rarely do you....

But I do like to get moving when leaving a corner and not move like molasses getting into traffic. I came from the M109R Suzuki crowd and was always a little heavy handed on the throttle.

bertrider
10-27-2015, 07:08 PM
I know this may start something, but the last time I put new tires on, my mechanic recommended a Bridgestone for the front and a Dunlop for the rear.

He was a road racer in his youth and has ridden a Goldwing for the entire 20yrs that I've known him. In other words, he really knows Goldwings. A large part of his business is tires. His take is that the Bridgestone/Dunlop combination is the best for overall handling and mileage. I've followed his Wings through Colorado, Arkansas, North Carolina, and thousands of curves so when he suggests something having to do with my bike I listen.

So now I've got a Bridgestone on the front and a Dunlop on the back. Anybody else other than Darksiders?

Brewdog
10-27-2015, 09:48 PM
For what it's worth I am replacing my Harley Ultra Limited tires soon. They are the original front and back tires - Dunlop Elite radial tires with 24,500 miles on each. That's the most mileage I've ever got out of any bike I've ever owned.

I've only got a 750 miles on my F6B so hopefully I can get at least 12,000 miles out them.

motozeke
10-27-2015, 10:04 PM
I know this may start something, but the last time I put new tires on, my mechanic recommended a Bridgestone for the front and a Dunlop for the rear.

What model Dunlop?

bertrider
10-28-2015, 08:04 AM
What model Dunlop?

An Elite 3 which seems to be wearing well.

Random one
10-28-2015, 08:34 AM
I had a real problem with rear tire wear on my Yamaha FJ1200 Sport Touring bike.(It did neither very well) Rear tires went away too quickly. I had a lot more Horse Power than I needed and drove the snot out of it. The best lasting tire I had was the Michelin Pilot front and a Commander on the rear.
The Commander was lasting like a "Dark Side" tire. I got almost 22,000 miles out of it and I still drove it hard. Still had some usable tread left when I sold it. There is no reason why motorcycle tires wear out faster than car tires. Most riders don't ride as much as some of us and dry rot will claim the tire before it will wear out.
Learn how to read the date codes and keep your tires fresh. (0215 is the second week of 2015)

The pilot on the front was so sure footed the wife could tell the difference from the rear seat. That is something that is impressive to me because she had never ridden a motorcycle till she met me and she could feel the difference.

Brewdog
10-30-2015, 05:35 AM
Yes. Elite 3 series. I was amazed at the long life and even wear I got out of these tires. I could of put another 2K on them but I'm not going to push my luck. If Dunlop has sizes that fit my new F6B, those are the tires I will buy for it.

grendl
10-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Makes me rethink what I thought my previous owner had made a mistake. I bought mine with 2K on it,the PO had a Bridgestone on the front and a Dunlop at the rear. Hearing this makes me think he did it intentionally,maybe. I replaced both at about 14K because I was making a 3 thousand mile trip and didn't want to have to worry about tires during the trip. I went with the Stones and dont really notice a difference in handling or wear ,yet..

Brewdog
10-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Here's photos of my tires with 24K on them. The photo of my front tire side wall provides the tire information. Dunlop is doing a fantastic job with M/C tires !