PDA

View Full Version : Passenger seat too low...

janvan
08-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Hello y'all...

went to Iron Horse motorcycles in Monroe, NC yesterday to ride their demo F6B. I currently ride a Yamaha FZ1 (Bee) and thinking I might want something more suitable for longer tour rides, with the wife.
I enjoyed the F6B a lot, though I do have to get used to the heft, especially compared to the FZ1! But it's quite comfy and a joy to ride. I did find the shifting a bit clunky.
Even though the passenger seat seems to be a lot higher than the rider part, my wife was complaining about it being too low. She is still looking at the back of my helmet, which she seems to find a bit boring. I'm 6'1" and she's 5'2". So what i'm looking for is a seat that

will put her higher so she can see over my helmet
has a good sturdy back rest so she can lean back and relax

These two will be quite important. On my FZ1 I have a Givi case with backrest, so she can lean back. Any idea if the aftermarket seats available could help me out? I've been reading the Corbin reviews but can't really figure out if it would be the solution for us...

Thanks!

Jan

Steve 0080
08-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately there is no booster seat made for a motorcycle....and surly your wife has been battling this issue for a while.....my advise would be to give your wife your old bike, teach her how to ride it...you get the F6B and ride into the sunset....

F6B-RICH
08-11-2013, 09:42 AM
:create.php: I just got the Corbin a week ago.I am 6' 2" and my wife is 5' 1" but on vacation so I can not have her sit on it with me to help you out with that problem.A forum member Steve makes a higher backrest bracket to make it 4 inches higher he sells on E-bay.

F6B-RICH
08-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Unfortunately there is no booster seat made for a motorcycle....and surly your wife has been battling this issue for a while.....my advise would be to give your wife your old bike, teach her how to ride it...you get the F6B and ride into the sunset....

Hey Steve he said his wife needs a sturdy back rest to lean back and relax what about your higher back rest bracket you sell

Steve 0080
08-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks Rich that would help with her back but not raise he behind...

janvan
08-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Rich, when comparing the Corbin to stock, is the passenger part a bit higher? Some pics it looks like it is, some others i'm not so sure... And I think the rider part is actually a little bit lower?
:icon_biggrin: And when you're touring through NC we can meet somewhere :icon_biggrin:

F6B-RICH
08-11-2013, 01:50 PM
As I stated I just got the Corbin and did not much saddle time on it yet but from what I see and how it feels it appears the driver is lower in the bike then
the stock seat and the passenger area is nice and thick and appears to be high but have to get me and the wife on it Thursday and will let you know.

Bruce B
08-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I'd suggest contacting Rick Mayer Cycle and Russell Day Long. Both build what are some of the finest seats known and they do it on your pan so there is a perfect fit. I have the Rick Mayer and am 100% pleased. If there is anyone who can build to your specs, these guys can. Try them at www.rickmayercycle.com and www.day-long.com. They build to suit so check them out and then, if interested, give them a call for some one on one about your needs.

MichaelG
08-11-2013, 02:24 PM
janvan, I will echo what Bruce had to say about the Rick Mayer seat, and the Russell Day-Long saddle. I already HAD a Rick Mayer seat on this new bike, and now I have the Russell Day-Long saddle. Ultimately, it comes down to how FAR you want to ride...when choosing a customized seat. If you are a normal distance rider..say...300 to 750 miles a day, then a Rick mayer seat will suit you fine. If you are a longer distance rider...say...1000 to 2000 miles a day, then the Russell Day-Long saddle is the right one for you.

WHY no one else has thought to mention...to YOU that lives in North Carolina...that we are having a gathering of beagles...er...Eagles, in Franklin, NC, starting at the Microtel motel, on August 29th, thru Sept 2nd, and...if you show up there, you will be able to SEE some of these customized seats in person. NO...you can not ride my bike with the Russell seat on it, but you can sit on it.

I know that the passgener seat area of my Russell seat is higher than OEM seats. And, he can make it any height you want him to.

So, show up in Franklin, NC. 8/29/13 to 9/2/13, and look at all the F6B and Runes that are gathering.

janvan
08-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks Rich, Bruce, Miles!
I'll check into those customized seats. The nice salesman at Iron Horse also mentioned he knows a lady who might be able to add some padding. Not sure if the stock seat has enough space for that though...

Deer Slayer
08-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Good Idea Miles,
I can not make the 1 st Gathering. Wife of 51 Years and I will be on a Cruse to Aruba and other neat places for 9 days.

Deer Slayer

commuter1
08-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Hello y'all...

went to Iron Horse motorcycles in Monroe, NC yesterday to ride their demo F6B. I currently ride a Yamaha FZ1 (Bee) and thinking I might want something more suitable for longer tour rides, with the wife.
I enjoyed the F6B a lot, though I do have to get used to the heft, especially compared to the FZ1! But it's quite comfy and a joy to ride. I did find the shifting a bit clunky.
Even though the passenger seat seems to be a lot higher than the rider part, my wife was complaining about it being too low. She is still looking at the back of my helmet, which she seems to find a bit boring. I'm 6'1" and she's 5'2". So what i'm looking for is a seat that

will put her higher so she can see over my helmet
has a good sturdy back rest so she can lean back and relax

These two will be quite important. On my FZ1 I have a Givi case with backrest, so she can lean back. Any idea if the aftermarket seats available could help me out? I've been reading the Corbin reviews but can't really figure out if it would be the solution for us...

Thanks!

Jan I found a 4" "riser" on ebay that raises the passenger backrest 4" $ 39.99 . Good luck

jkelley
08-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Janvan, couple more options.

Call Allen at Mean city cycles in Hickory NC, he can do anything you want to your seat, and offers ride in appointments as well. Diannas shop in Fletcher NC. great lady and does custom work.

You can also install a tour pack that is quick release for when you are two up. Another thread on someone that has done this and it looks good for a passenger, plus allows for a lot of extra storage.

Richie
08-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Hi, does anyone know if the Russell seat will make it more difficult to flat foot the bike? Is it higher or wider than stock? Does someone have a picture of a Russell seat on a f6b? On there site there is many pictures but i could not find one with a f6.
Richie

Steve 0080
08-13-2013, 11:51 AM
The Russell seat is made to fit YOU!!!!!

janvan
08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Call Allen at Mean city cycles in Hickory NC, he can do anything you want to your seat, and offers ride in appointments as well. Diannas shop in Fletcher NC. great lady and does custom work.

Ahhh, awesome! That's easier, a couple of shops in NC! Thanks, I'll check them out!!! :yes:

You can also install a tour pack that is quick release for when you are two up. Another thread on someone that has done this and it looks good for a passenger, plus allows for a lot of extra storage.
Sounds like a good idea too. Can't find that thread yet, is that a Honda accessory or aftermarket, do you know?

Steve 0080
08-13-2013, 11:55 AM
After market.......maybe Harley Davidson...

jkelley
08-14-2013, 06:46 AM
The pics in the other thread of the HD tour pack looked good to me for two up, but I would want it off if I was riding solo for looks.
The tour pack gives the passenger more of a secure feeling than the low butt pad back rest we have. There are aftermarket tour packs that are very similar in shape to the HD ones without the major $'s. That would also provide a place for rear speakers, amplifer, etc. should someone be so inclined.

Janvan, Allen at Mean City cycles has done several seats for me and all were very good.

Scotrod
08-14-2013, 06:51 AM
Richie, Miles has a Day Long (or Russ Meyers, very sim)
Might have to scoot forwards a tiny bit to ease flat foot, but depends on your size

MichaelG
08-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Richie, Miles has a Day Long (or Russ Meyers, very sim)
Might have to scoot forwards a tiny bit to ease flat foot, but depends on your size

Richie, I read your post several days ago, but was hoping you would look around, do a search, and find all the pics of the Russell seat on this forum.

Well, I will post them again...3rd or 4th time.

As Steve said, the Russell seat is made to FIT you. It can be made any height you ask for.

Richie
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Richie, I read your post several days ago, but was hoping you would look around, do a search, and find all the pics of the Russell seat on this forum.

Well, I will post them again...3rd or 4th time.

As Steve said, the Russell seat is made to FIT you. It can be made any height you ask for.

Miles, thanks for posting the pictures. Sorry for making you post again but again thank you...........Richie