PDA

View Full Version : Space too cramped for downshifting?

oldman
10-29-2015, 10:07 AM
When watching some YouTube videos about the F6b, one in particular gave it an awesome reveiw, other than what he felt was a dealbreaker. He said that the space around the gear shift lever is so tight that he was unable to get his boot toe over the shifter for smooth downshifts. Was this just this one reviewer, or is this a common concern with F6b owners?

Fla_rider
10-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Was his name Shaq?:yikes:

willtill
10-29-2015, 10:25 AM
When watching some YouTube videos about the F6b, one in particular gave it an awesome reveiw, other than what he felt was a dealbreaker. He said that the space around the gear shift lever is so tight that he was unable to get his boot toe over the shifter for smooth downshifts. Was this just this one reviewer, or is this a common concern with F6b owners?

If your are...

http://i64.tinypic.com/296d849.jpg

.. then yes; you will have a problem.

Not a common issue with the rest of us. :icon_wink:

oldman
10-29-2015, 10:45 AM
The YouTube review is by "AK47's". Glad to hear from some of you that this is not likely going to be a problem for someone my size (5'8", 29 inch inseam). I think I am only a demo ride away from buying an F6b. I demo rode a Triumph Trophy recently and really tried to convince myself that I liked this bike. But the seating is just a bit too sporty for my old bones, and part of me wishes to return to the Honda fold. But I think a key part will be how my wife likes the passenger accomodations since most of my riding is two up. She's comfortable on my Triumph Thunderbird right now but I am hoping that with a decent windscreen she will like the F6b, with its nice large pillion, even more.

shooter
10-29-2015, 11:18 AM
It is tighter than most bikes. I can see where if you have a size '13' that it could be a little cramped. I wear an 11 and its doable. It helps to have a low profile boot instead if a big clunky one.

buckeyeken47
10-29-2015, 12:30 PM
I have size 12 feet and have absolutely no problems.

Tedubya
10-29-2015, 12:37 PM
I have size 12 feet and have absolutely no problems.

I wear a 13 and have no issues.

BIGLRY
10-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Size 15 boot here and with a few simple mods I have no problems up or down shifting, like the Kury drop mounts and Kinetic pegs

you can read all about it here http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6750-Kuryakyn-Comfort-Drop-Mounts-with-Kinetic-footpegs

ReserveBum
10-29-2015, 05:32 PM
The YouTube review is by "AK47's". Glad to hear from some of you that this is not likely going to be a problem for someone my size (5'8", 29 inch inseam). I think I am only a demo ride away from buying an F6b. I demo rode a Triumph Trophy recently and really tried to convince myself that I liked this bike. But the seating is just a bit too sporty for my old bones, and part of me wishes to return to the Honda fold. But I think a key part will be how my wife likes the passenger accomodations since most of my riding is two up. She's comfortable on my Triumph Thunderbird right now but I am hoping that with a decent windscreen she will like the F6b, with its nice large pillion, even more.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade the backrest if you can before you get her on the bike. That butt chock was almost a deal killer until I upgraded with the extender bracket and a larger pad.
Its only two bolts so I take it off when shes not riding.
Oh yeah...and that "not able to downshift" thing is BS

seadog
10-29-2015, 06:04 PM
I have a pair of boot that don't work on the F6B in stock form, they have a kind of bulbous rounded toe and refuse to go under the shifter. Now my square toe boots work just fine on the F6B, I have not changed anything as far as foot pegs, all is in stock form

Old Ryder
10-29-2015, 06:09 PM
I have a pair of boot that don't work on the F6B in stock form, they have a kind of bulbous rounded toe and refuse to go under the shifter. Now my square toe boots work just fine on the F6B, I have not changed anything as far as foot pegs, all is in stock form

It has more to do with the shoe than it does with the bike.

Jady
10-29-2015, 07:23 PM
My first post!

With my steel toes it's a little cumbersome. Normal boots and shoes are fine. 11.5's

Vondawg
10-29-2015, 07:55 PM
Steel toes ? :yikes:

ths61
10-29-2015, 07:59 PM
I had to get a new pair of boots:

http://www.hotboots.com/images2/pg735a.jpg

BobR
10-29-2015, 08:08 PM
I have a 13 EEEE shoe and have had no problem. I did come off of a Valkyrie so I was used to a tight space.

BIGLRY
10-29-2015, 09:57 PM
I had to get a new pair of boots:

http://www.hotboots.com/images2/pg735a.jpg
Hummmmmm....https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/433727047899168768/EHTGMaaQ_400x400.jpegInteresting.

richw56
10-30-2015, 03:02 AM
I've had no problems at all with shifting the F6B, either up or down.
I remember when I had my VTX1300C that I had adjusted the shifter upward a little to make it easier to get my toe under it, but have had no need at all to make any adjustments/mods to the F6B in this regard.

Brewdog
10-30-2015, 05:49 AM
I have trouble shifting with my big feet and boots. It certainly doesn't spoil the joy I get from cruising around on it.
I'm looking at a pair of those cockroach killers in the post above as my solution. Nice looking boots !

DaWadd
10-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Definately boot design has a lot to do with it. I have the Kury mini boards with drop down and it works much better. Only thing I don't like is having them angled down. I think I will try Biglry's suggestion with the Kury knectic pegs .

THEWING
10-30-2015, 08:43 AM

My brother has a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird that usually lives in my garage so I have rode it many times. I say that to say this the handling is great on his bike and is not top heavy like my Vtx 1800F, so you will be thrilled with this nimble beast!!! And please post your thoughts after your test ride, I will be waiting!!! I love the F6B just got to find the right windshield LOL

Fla_rider
10-30-2015, 01:09 PM

Take my word Test drive is not necessary you just wasting time you could be riding. The hardest thing for my wife on the back is not falling asleep! GO for It!

I sit straight up and have no problems with the seat, but plenty on the forum have chased or found their dream seat. Once I got my highway pegs I enjoyed it even more!

pdxstriper
10-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Hi,
With a 34" inseam, I went with the Kury dropped min-boards to gain some leg room. Things were a bit crowded so I played with angling them and didn't like the feeling that my feet we sliding forward. These Kury boards have 3 mounting positions so I opted for the aft-most position. Pic below. Works well for me, may work well for others.

grendl
10-30-2015, 06:48 PM
I went through this once with a pair of boots I bought for riding.
The problem was they had virtually no instep and had bulbous toes. With the toe and an instep, they would be great but as they are you cant get your toe under the shifter.
I didn't modify the bike ,just bought different foot gear.

BEIST
10-31-2015, 02:05 AM

I have a pair of Arnold's Terminator Engineer Boots and just had Vibram soles put on my Cowboy boots. Don't have any trouble shifting. The only problem with YouTube is that any boob can upload a video.