PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of windscreens

oldman
10-31-2015, 10:02 AM
I've had Clearview screens for other bikes, and it appears that the "recurve" feature makes a significant reduction in buffeting and wind noise. I'm wondering if some of the other popular after market screens work as well, or better than what Clearview offers. Anyone able to compare the Clearview with the Madstad or other quality screens?

Dirtstiff's F6B
10-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Search windshields.
Lots offered out there and many different opinions.

J

phoenixrdr
10-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Replaced my stock windshield with a 13 inch with a small recurve from Long Ride Shield's. made a 100 percent difference in the enjoyment of the bike for me, I realize there are some riders that like the short shield, but i'm not one of those. Only purchase i've made so far, but i do have a nice long list. Enjoy reading others riders post's. Keep er under a 100 in second gear at least....

Brewdog
10-31-2015, 01:28 PM
My 19" bagger shield works really well. I din't want the recurve because of distortion. I prefer to look through the top 2" of the windshield and like it distortion free. It's a thick, sturdy and crystal clear. I get no buffeting at all.

shooter
10-31-2015, 06:41 PM
I have the Clearview and its pretty good. I want a klockwerks. Maybe this winter.

F6B1911
10-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Search this site for windshield topics, there's quite a few.
I went through 3 different windshields before I settled on the Madstad System.

oldman
11-01-2015, 09:22 AM
What is it about the Madstad that makes it so good? What height screen did you finally settle on (and how tall are you)?

BEIST
11-01-2015, 09:55 AM

I went with the Klock Werks 14" Dark Smoke Screen basically because it looks cool. I am extremely happy with it. I am able to see over the top of it easily. Wind now gets pushed completely over my head and it also seems to push the front end of the bike down onto the road at high speeds very noticeably. I can also listen to the stereo at high speed and the clean air vacuum space created by the overdraft gives the distinct impression that my back is being pushed ever so slightly forward. And it does look Kewl. .batman-smilie.

GNW
11-01-2015, 09:55 AM
My 19" bagger shield works really well. I din't want the recurve because of distortion. I prefer to look through the top 2" of the windshield and like it distortion free. It's a thick, sturdy and crystal clear. I get no buffeting at all.

DITTO for me !!

Wing'n it
11-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I had the Honda "tall" shield installed right after purchasing the bike. It works well for what it is. The next shield I got was the Clearview large with the vent and recurve, this is a nice shield and I thought it was the hot ticket until I changed seats. The new seat put the top of my helmet in the wind blast and that was not going to happen, too much buffeting. Next I had a friend give me a stock Goldwing shield and I cut it down to fit the F6B and works really well. I wish I had cut it 2 inches taller then it would have been perfect for me. The last shield I installed is the 15 inch Madstad system. I like the idea of this but the jury is still out because now the weather is crap. The 15 inch might be just a tad tall but I can't ride it yet so i'm not sure?? It does suck to be tall and own this bike.

M_E_A_T
11-02-2015, 11:01 AM

I went with the Klock Werks 14" Dark Smoke Screen basically because it looks cool. I am extremely happy with it. I am able to see over the top of it easily. Wind now gets pushed completely over my head and it also seems to push the front end of the bike down onto the road at high speeds very noticeably. I can also listen to the stereo at high speed and the clean air vacuum space created by the overdraft gives the distinct impression that my back is being pushed ever so slightly forward. And it does look Kewl. .batman-smilie.

How tall are you?

BEIST
11-02-2015, 11:24 AM
How tall are you?

I'm 6'0" tall but have a Mustang saddle that drops me down about an inch. I should also point out that the back draft might bother a helmet-less rider because it pushes your sunglasses down onto your nose. Giving you the "old man with bifocals" look. :icon_cool:

tater
11-02-2015, 12:43 PM
To each his own, but I like the baggershield 19' with center vent. By opening the vent it keeps air from rushing over top, creating turbulence behind windshield. Those who don't like looking thru a windshield probably wouldn't like it, and it's not as sexy, but there is no distortion and you can't beat it on those long rides.

Fla_rider
11-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Clearview Large and wide

:popcorn:

Old Ryder
11-02-2015, 06:09 PM
What is it about the Madstad that makes it so good? What height screen did you finally settle on (and how tall are you)?

The Madstad base is a small mount. I have the 11 inch and it gives a lot of adjustability. The shield itself acts like a "spoiler" to maneuver and control the airflow. I am 6'1" on an Ultimate King Rider seat

Bowhunter1800
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I really like the Klock Werks Flare. Pushes the air over my head and around both me and my wife. We noticed a difference right away. I'm 6"1

gmorstad
11-02-2015, 08:05 PM
I've had Clearview screens for other bikes, and it appears that the "recurve" feature makes a significant reduction in buffeting and wind noise. I'm wondering if some of the other popular after market screens work as well, or better than what Clearview offers. Anyone able to compare the Clearview with the Madstad or other quality screens?

I have the 16" Clearview and at 6'1" (tall torso) it is not tall enough for me. I am buying the 18" F4 Customs in the spring.

ths61
11-02-2015, 08:08 PM
I really like the Klock Werks Flare. Pushes the air over my head and around both me and my wife. We noticed a difference right away. I'm 6"1

What size Klock Werks do you have and how far do you have it raised up ?

The F6B versions are 14" & 16" with no height adjustments.

Bowhunter1800
11-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Mine is the tall. It's set on the third notch and measures 17 3/4". I look over the top set at that height

Battoo
11-02-2015, 11:54 PM
the 14 inch Klock werks Flare is Great we have it on wifes bike Looks Great and works well

SierraKen
11-03-2015, 12:42 AM
Love my wind bender. Not only looks good on the bike but provides great protect. So quiet with a nice calm. I had one on my full wing and works just as well on the F6B.

Big Cat
11-04-2015, 08:38 AM

:icon_ditto: This is my second Flare windshield and I love it! There's only one possible "downside" you may want to consider...if you think there may be a farkle shelf in your future, the Flare is probably not for you. The swept-back curve comes back over the top of the dashboard and is not compatible with the farkle shelf.

I was also looking into the EC GPS dash mount, and no cigar there, either. Not enough room for the GPS to mount on top of the dash with the Flare.

However, from a standpoint of looks and performance, I find it hard to beat my Flare. Did a 9,000 mile ride up into Canada in September, and the Flare protected me from wind, bugs (well mostly) and rain.

All that said, I may be willing to part with mine in order to install a farkle shelf. The one on my F6B is brand new, with less than 100 miles on it. PM me if interested.

thunder217
11-04-2015, 09:50 AM
I had purchased and tried several of the shields made for the F6B. I found that the Klock Werks worked the best for me at 6 feet tall with the mustang seat. It allowed me to hear my music better and cut down on the amount of wind with it's curves. LOL

NationalCycl
11-05-2015, 10:54 AM
The VStream, which became available just this year, is another great option to consider.

With the VStream design, the purpose is to direct wind around you as opposed to over, reducing buffeting for the rider and passenger. It's a design we've used on many bikes.

They are made from hardcoated polycarbonate and carry a three-year warranty against breakage.

Check it out!
http://www.nationalcycle.com/index.php/catalog/category/view/id/5658

pdxstriper
11-05-2015, 12:52 PM
The VStream, which became available just this year, is another great option to consider.

With the VStream design, the purpose is to direct wind around you as opposed to over, reducing buffeting for the rider and passenger. It's a design we've used on many bikes.

They are made from hardcoated polycarbonate and carry a three-year warranty against breakage.

Check it out!

The Vstream looks intriguing, but per the website, doesn't appear to be available with a vent (like the Goldwing version). Am I misinterpreting something?

98valk
11-05-2015, 01:50 PM
The Vstream looks intriguing, but per the website, doesn't appear to be available with a vent (like the Goldwing version). Am I misinterpreting something?

Just my .02 on this. A vent won't do much with that tilt angle.

My windshield is swept back quite a bit. I installed a vent in it and hardly any air comes through it. That same vent in a honda shield (which sits up more vertically) passes a bunch of air.

So on my next shield, if it is tilted back, I won't bother with a vent.

On a side note: On my last big trip, I had the biggest dragonfly that I have ever seen splatter through my vent. What a mess! :yikes:

F4 Customs
11-13-2015, 09:04 AM
F4 Customs offers a shield that is made from the Highest Optic Polycarbonate therefor there is no distortion and since it is poly carbonate it will not break or crack. We bake in a coating that will give you great rain shedding and high scratch resistance even when rubbed with steel wool.
They are offered in various heights, in clear or tint, and with and without vents.
Thanks
F4 Customs
www.f4customs.com
330-968-4644
forum sponsor

Texas TC
11-13-2015, 09:49 PM
F4 Customs offers a shield that is made from the Highest Optic Polycarbonate therefor there is no distortion and since it is poly carbonate it will not break or crack. We bake in a coating that will give you great rain shedding and high scratch resistance even when rubbed with steel wool.
They are offered in various heights, in clear or tint, and with and without vents.
Thanks
F4 Customs
www.f4customs.com
330-968-4644
forum sponsor
I love my F4 Customs windshield. Best windshield I have had on any of my motorcycles. My only issue is a rock chip that I got within a few days after I installed it. It holds up well to cleaning and resisting scratches. However, like any windshields, cycle or auto, rocks are hazardous to the finish😁.

Miks
11-14-2015, 09:03 AM
The most difficult part of owning a motorcycle, is finding a windshield that works. What I have learned over time...and I mainly picked this up after owning several BMW motorcycles, is that you MUST equalize the pressure to slow the flow down and minimize turbulence. As I looked at the design of the Windbender, and without having to see the windtunnel flow patterns, I knew this system was going to do a good job.

I would highly recommend this windshield, it eliminates turbulence like you only read about, just set the height to your liking and you can drive 80 miles per hour, put your cruise pegs out, light a cigar, and just enjoy the ride baby, just sit back and enjoy the ride :icon_razz:

JetBlackWing
11-17-2015, 01:22 PM

Check it out!

I checked the site, I saw the 12.5" tall from the top of the ignition switch, but was wondering how much taller your N20016 VStreamŪ Sport was over the OEM 7"er which I have to compare with...I'm guessing it would be 2 inches, but hard to say for sure