PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dry age beef at home?

willtill
11-01-2015, 09:11 AM
I an tired of the quality of supposedly "prime cuts of meat" around here... everywhere from Safeway to Costco. Many of the fillets that are bought; are very tough and although I do know how to tenderize steak; it still is not perfect.

Something nefarious is happening to the quality of US meats. Used to be when you went to grill up a nice T-bone or NY strip; you could count of the meat being tender and not jaw tiring; when you chewed it.

So.. I am going to Costco today; to purchase a large slab of ribeye... and I am planning to dry age it for about a month in my refrigerator. There are two ways that I have read about doing this; either in a tray filled with salt with the meat placed over it on a rack; or putting the meat in a vacuum sealed bag and letting it age.

Not sure which one (method) to follow at this point... but I am going to age my next steaks.

Suggestions and experiences are welcome here... I don't want to eff up at $100.00+ cut of beef...

Random one
11-01-2015, 12:41 PM
It should be aged already I would think. Aging a bad cut won't really make it that much more tender. All of the meat I have cooked ends up being fork tender.
I did buy a supposedly good cut from a big chain store that begins with the letter "M" and it was so tough I used it to repair a hole in the fence. Had to take it down because all of the neighborhood dogs were peeing on it.
We referred to it as the Sunday we tried to eat a mule while it was still kicking. I have a store near the house that is still a Mom and Pop owned and get the best cuts from them. So maybe that could be an answer for you. Get it from a smaller operation that has local connections. They don't buy meat that has been frozen.

The Vacuum sealed storage would be the best. If it turns bad you can toss it with out stinking the house up. Check around and find out what temperature is best for aging beef.
I bought some Buffalo meat that had really been aged for a long time and threw it all away because it smelled like ROAD KILL.

BIGLRY
11-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Have you read http://www.finecooking.com/articles/dry-aging-beef-pays-off-big-flavor.aspx Sounds simple enough as long as you have a frig that will stay below 40 deg.
Here is a vid doing it with salt and six weeks in frig..

https://youtu.be/1o7GTADAo1g
Please let us know which way you do yours as I am interested in doing one for New Years Dinner.

shooter
11-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Will I raised and butchered beef for about 25 years. I can give you a few pointers on buying. Look for smaller cuts. In other words steaks from a younger smaller beef. If it says grass fed it sucks. People have been drawn into the hype. Grass fed only beef us tough and grainy. Good for the farmer , he has a lot less money in his beef. Look for grain fed and Angus is a good type. Thin steaks cooked on a hot grill quickly generally yields a tender bite. A good marinade of onion , gsrlic , soy sauce and a little pineapple juice for an hour before cooking helps too. I buy from a local butcher that sells a lot of meat. His cuts are from smaller beef and hogs. Good marbling on the beef and he trims the excess on the edges. Its good stuff.

valkmc
11-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Grew up on a farm in NY State. We raised everything we ate including black Angus beef. My dad had a huge refrig he used for aging steaks. Wish I knew his process because our Sunday steak grillings included the best steaks I have ever eaten. I do remember a couple of things. As kids we had better not open the door to the frig when beef was in there. He was obsessed with both the temp and moisture inside. I also remember him telling everyone the larger the piece of beef the better the aging results. I guess that is why his ager was huge. He also butchered the cows at 13 to 14 months for family consumption Let them go longer when he sold them by the pound at auction. I think a separate refrig would be a must so the door stayed closed most of the time.

willtill
11-01-2015, 06:21 PM
https://youtu.be/1o7GTADAo1g
Please let us know which way you do yours as I am interested in doing one for New Years Dinner.

This is one of the videos that I had previously found this morning... before posting this in the forum... :yes:

Will I raised and butchered beef for about 25 years. I can give you a few pointers on buying. Look for smaller cuts. In other words steaks from a younger smaller beef. If it says grass fed it sucks. People have been drawn into the hype. Grass fed only beef us tough and grainy. Good for the farmer , he has a lot less money in his beef. Look for grain fed and Angus is a good type. Thin steaks cooked on a hot grill quickly generally yields a tender bite. A good marinade of onion , gsrlic , soy sauce and a little pineapple juice for an hour before cooking helps too. I buy from a local butcher that sells a lot of meat. His cuts are from smaller beef and hogs. Good marbling on the beef and he trims the excess on the edges. Its good stuff.

Thanks Shooter. Very good advice. I know that pineapple/papaya juices are very good at breaking down the collagen in meats... and grass fed beef is of poorer quality, Grain fed is always better.

Grew up on a farm in NY State. We raised everything we ate including black Angus beef. My dad had a huge refrig he used for aging steaks. Wish I knew his process because our Sunday steak grillings included the best steaks I have ever eaten. I do remember a couple of things. As kids we had better not open the door to the frig when beef was in there. He was obsessed with both the temp and moisture inside. I also remember him telling everyone the larger the piece of beef the better the aging results. I guess that is why his ager was huge. He also butchered the cows at 13 to 14 months for family consumption Let them go longer when he sold them by the pound at auction. I think a separate refrig would be a must so the door stayed closed most of the time.

Huge point made. You have got to have a refrigerator that is largely undisturbed... except for a quick opening and closing of the door. Hard to do in this house; try as I may... I can't get my wife to close the door quickly enough each time she hits the refrigerator... she opens it like she's looking at her closet of clothes :icon_doh:

I may buy an medium sized "el cheapo" refrigerator just for this. And I can also use it for a keg... if I get back into home brewing again.

Aging beef and a keg of beer. What more does a man need with a refrigerator...? :yes:

valkmc
11-01-2015, 07:05 PM
This is one of the videos that I had previously found... before posting this in the forum... :yes:

Thanks Shooter. Very good advice. I know that pineapple/papaya juices are very good at breaking down the collagen in meats... and grass fed beef is of poorer quality, Grain fed is always better.

Huge point made. You have got to have a refrigerator that is largely undisturbed... except for a quick opening and closing of the door. Hard to do in this house; try as I may... I can't get my wife to close the door quickly enough each time she hits the refrigerator... she opens it like she's looking at her closet of clothes :icon_doh:

I may buy an medium sized "el cheapo" refrigerator just for this. And I can also use it for a keg... if I get back into home brewing again.

Aging beef and a keg of beer. What more does a man need with a refrigerator...? :yes:

Totally agree, I brew some myself and there is not much better than a killer steak and a good beer you made with your own two hands!!!!

unsub
11-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Hi willtill, can you find a butcher in your area? I'm always chirping about sourcing out the local mom and pops as opposed to big box. I would be very surprised if you don't have a 1st rate butcher shop close by who would really appreciate your business and in return they could help you get quality cuts of whatever meat you like.

None the less, this thread is making me hungry and thirsty.:yes: