PDA

View Full Version : New to the group, CB

DaddyN
08-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi all

This is my first post on the board, and just wanted to let every one know that the new model CB will work on the F6B. I just installed one on my 3 week old bike. I was able to install it under the radio with a little mod to the box and am using the OEM switch from a junkyard. Just been on a 6hr group ride with no problems.:icon_biggrin:

Pedro66
08-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Hi all

This is my first post on the board, and just wanted to let every one know that the new model CB will work on the F6B. I just installed one on my 3 week old bike. I was able to install it under the radio with a little mod to the box and am using the OEM switch from a junkyard. Just been on a 6hr group ride with no problems.:icon_biggrin:

Thats cool I did not pull out the radio to see if it would fit but can I ask where did you connect the OEM switch, what did you do about the CPU input balance issues, how did you enable the CB on/off button, what did you do for an antenna?

Just asking fishing for mod ideas

DaddyN
08-11-2013, 06:42 PM
On the cpu issue I can only assume that the new model radio has been built to match the Panasonic radio. I have submitted a FOIA request with FCC to get the schematics. ( might work might not). Got the handle bar switches from a MC junk yard. 60$ No splitter on the radio pointed the FM antenna down between the saddlebag and fender. Adapted the OEM mount to accept CB antenna. PB mounted in one of the blank holes could not find a actuator to wire back in the switch on the FM controles. Other than the PB i think it looks factory.

Pedro66
08-11-2013, 06:46 PM
On the cpu issue I can only assume that the new model radio has been built to match the Panasonic radio. I have submitted a FOIA request with FCC to get the schematics. ( might work might not). Got the handle bar switches from a MC junk yard. 60$ No splitter on the radio pointed the FM antenna down between the saddlebag and fender. Adapted the OEM mount to accept CB antenna. PB mounted in one of the blank holes could not find a actuator to wire back in the switch on the FM controles. Other than the PB i think it looks factory.

FCC will give you nothing on the radio, Panasonic requested it is removed from the public records and it has been as with the previous versions. the CPU issues are not with the CB but with the controls it may not manifest itself on the first ride (mine didn't) but it will you will know when it does.

Where did you connect all the controls to? I think I went about it in a long winded way just wondering if you had a better solution

DaddyN
08-11-2013, 06:54 PM
At the Sumitomo 10 pin connector

Pedro66
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
At the Sumitomo 10 pin connector

Do you have a good US source for the missing connections at the radio I have to rob them off other products how much modification did you do to the radio box what about the other control connections what was your connection point for those, finally someone prepared to dig into a new bike like me

Bike44
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Let us know how your RF noise background is with the engine running. I find mine on AM with the standard AM/FM whip off isn't too bad, but with the whip on it overrides all but the strongest stations. Can I assume I don't have any of the CB filters factory installed on a non-CB bike?

I've got to sniff around some with my aircraft radio to find the source(s). Maybe you can help?

Pedro66
08-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Let us know how your RF noise background is with the engine running. I find mine on AM with the standard AM/FM whip off isn't too bad, but with the whip on it overrides all but the strongest stations. Can I assume I don't have any of the CB filters factory installed on a non-CB bike?

I've got to sniff around some with my aircraft radio to find the source(s). Maybe you can help?

2012+ bikes don't have filters with the CB we never used them on any bikes with the GL2WAY

Bike44
08-11-2013, 07:43 PM
2012+ bikes don't have filters with the CB we never used them on any bikes with the GL2WAY

You folks are having a conversation that I'm not trying to snatch, but if his or your CB works w/o a high noise floor I'd be interested to know what was done to fix that, if anything.

I just went down to my bike running and sniffed around with my AM aircraft radio and headset. The digital display was the worse source so far on 125 MHz...tika tika tika'n away. I need to dig deeper into the bowels. Around the heads (plugs/injectors) weren't bad. Maybe the bike's radio is picking up RF from the adjacent wiring harness, but w/o the AM?FM whip it's not all that bad.

Edit: Yesterday I did wind the antenna coax around a #73 ferrite core...no change...but left a snap-on ferrite on the coax for good measure but little effect. The antenna base grounds directly to the frame, and I confirmed the coax was grounded to the bracket.

Steve 0080
08-11-2013, 09:05 PM
OK....What language are you guys speaking ???

DaddyN
08-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Pete
only thing i have found so far is the pins for the 34 connector at Newark. I can't even find the 110/2.8 in bulk

Bike 44

Ground!! Try running a ground straight from the batt to the radio case and see if that will reduce the noise. GW are notorious for bad grounding at the frame and it's a pain to get to. Mine is quite for now.

Steve

Nerd

Pedro66
08-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Pete
only thing i have found so far is the pins for the 34 connector at Newark. I can't even find the 110/2.8 in bulk

Steve

Nerd

I got pins for most things just been harvesting from some cables for our F6B CB kit for that one connection to the radio we have plug and play for the 10 pin etc

Bike44
08-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Bike 44

Ground!! Try running a ground straight from the batt to the radio case and see if that will reduce the noise. GW are notorious for bad grounding at the frame and it's a pain to get to. Mine is quite for now.

Steve

Nerd

Good suggestion. Thanks. I'd read the rear frame ground was under the fuel tank in a far, far away place.

I'll strip some coax shield to make a flat braid strap and bond the B- to the radio/antenna base.

For giggles turn the AM to 630 KHz while underway and listen to the Aliens speak. Maybe SETI sourced. Sounds on the road like ignition now, or possibly injectors. Aircraft band doesn't catch it. Varies with rpm and load. Doesn't sound like typical alternator whine, more of a buzzing. Resistor plugs so maybe the wires aren't suppressed.

Edit: Ran my AM portable with RF sniffer antenna near the heads while running. OK, most of the pulse noise is coming from the heads (likely plugs?, maybe injectors) and some high freq buzz is emanating from the left fuse box/alternator area. Will pull the plugs tomorrow, confirm they're resistor plugs and measure the resistance. Then find the alternative spark plug (NKG or Denso) and measure that. If they're different change them out and see what happens to the RF hash.

I'll figure it out eventually. Best way to improve reception is to lower the noise floor.

Bike44
08-11-2013, 11:10 PM
OK....What language are you guys speaking ???

Radio talk. Think pocket protectors, thick glasses, rolled up pant cuffs and suspenders, and in the time, slide rules or slip sticks hung from the hip.

Just trying to get the F6B radio to hear better, and there's static coming from some onboard Alien source. Maybe a group Exorcism is called for.

Bike44
08-12-2013, 04:58 PM
For those interested in improving CB and AM reception and performance, and possibly using ham radio on their motorcycle (I had one once), here's a comprehensive link that deals with the subject well: http://www.k0bg.com