PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean bugs off your F6B?

stevenolts
11-02-2015, 10:57 AM
I know I probably screwed up / but I was too busy this week to clean my bike. Plus I have been gone for 12 days and the wife would have killed me if I went out and played with my girlfriend as she says. (the truth hurts for her / we all know who our first love is "F6B hands down right") (I know you all will say I am whipped after this comment)

I rode to Panama City Beach 1700 miles round trip and got home late and did not clean the bugs off the bike. (a week went buy before I knew it) I tried to clean it yesterday and the bugs residue seem to be in the paint.

I normally just use water and my hand to remove debris when washing the bike. This followed by a hand towel dry usually get the bike clean. Once and a while after cleaning I put the recommended high end glass on it and let it bake in the sun. (I can't believe I am drawing a blank on the name of the ???Glass wipe on wax stuff) It just came to me Liquid Glass.

What do you use to clean the bugs off?
Steve

CheesyRider
11-02-2015, 11:06 AM
I have several coats of Liquid Glass on my bike. I use the Liquid Glass Detail Spray to remove the bugs. They usually come off very easily.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412%2BlDjZ7JL.jpg

Random one
11-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I hang a wet towel over them for an hour of more and then hand wash with mild detergent and low pressure water.
Repeat if necessary.

wiggy
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM
I also use a wet hot towel. But I've been meaning to try Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with water in a spray bottle. I've read more than a few times that
this concoction will soften the bugs quickly and allow them to be easily wiped away. Some carry a spray bottle with them for gas stops.

ths61
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM
I use RejeX as a base coat (can't get Liquid Glass in the PRK due to the commie pinko rat bastages) and then use Plexus to clean off the splat-matter.

FWIW, MadStad also recommends RejeX for their windshields:

"... ANTI-RAIN: Rain-X is NOT recommended for use on our shields because it contains alcohol. There is another product called RejeX Polymer Sealant that is recommended for acrylics, so use that instead. It is available online. ..."

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/310N%2BzBNuAL._SY300_.jpg17515

BIGLRY
11-02-2015, 12:12 PM
I hang a wet towel over them for an hour of more and then hand wash with mild detergent and low pressure water.
Repeat if necessary.Yep, been doing that for years especially on the shield. I always ask for more towels when doing motel stays just for that purpose. I like to get the towel wet with real hot water then soak for a few min, suicidal bugs come right off.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/3db8029aee153666cf725a59dd6cdd2a/tumblr_myp39h65Ck1sgwnuto1_1280.jpg

Wing'n it
11-02-2015, 02:40 PM
Them "love bugs" from Florida are just awful. They have been know to eat paint off. I tangled with them years ago on a trip down south on my Wing and a fellow rider that lives down there swears by the peroxide solution to clean them off. I have not been back to try and not sure I want to.

Heracleitus
11-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Yep, been doing that for years especially on the shield. I always ask for more towels when doing motel stays just for that purpose. I like to get the towel wet with real hot water then soak for a few min, suicidal bugs come right off.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/3db8029aee153666cf725a59dd6cdd2a/tumblr_myp39h65Ck1sgwnuto1_1280.jpg

I do the same. And I carry a can of Pledge in my saddle bag. Every "tupperware" bike I've ever owned has gotten the Pledge treatment. Most bugs don't stick at all and I normally only have to use the hot towel on the windshield.

SierraKen
11-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Them "love bugs" from Florida are just awful. They have been know to eat paint off. I tangled with them years ago on a trip down south on my Wing and a fellow rider that lives down there swears by the peroxide solution to clean them off. I have not been back to try and not sure I want to.

I have been using hydrogen peroxide on my F6B and on my prior GL1800. Works great with no harm to shield nor paint on bike. Use primarily on shield though. Simply dissolves the protein..

shooter
11-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Spray with glass cleaner , let soak five minutes , wipe the bugs off.

SimonTemplar
11-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Most GOOD quality waxes or urethanes will make it much easier to get the bugs off. Even ones that have set there awhile.

These days, I use Klassé All-In-One cleaner Polish followed with the Klassé Sealant (Polyurethane) and have found it to be the best for me. BUT.....prior to switching to Klassé about five years ago, I used nothing but Zymol waxes (specifically, their 'Titanium' wax). Used it on vehicles and a LOT of other things as well. Even my helmets.

As coincidence would have it, just last night I went down to the closet where I store a lot of old such stuff and pulled out my old Shoei full face from the 80's. Found that it had a lot of bugs on it...been sitting there with that crud on it for over 20 years. Cloth with warm water on it took 95% or more of it off. A little Windex took the rest.

Not saying you gotta use either of these formulations....just that a good and well-maintained coating will help out a LOT with this sort of thing.

....sT

opas ride
11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Plexus works great but it is costly....A spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water works wonders and is cheap..As said on earlier posts, solution of Hydrogen/peroxide and water also works fine.....If all else fails wet a towel with water and let it soak on the shield and fairing area for a while then wipe clean....

BIGLRY
11-02-2015, 06:39 PM
I do the same. And I carry a can of Pledge in my saddle bag. Every "tupperware" bike I've ever owned has gotten the Pledge treatment. Most bugs don't stick at all and I normally only have to use the hot towel on the windshield.
Yea, nothing like the smell of lemons early in the morning,:icon_biggrin:
I use it if I'm hauling a scoot any distance in an open trailer. Spray with Pledge then just wipe own before delivery, works great.

http://7770647a14b0867efc75-b939f832d8cd9c860ce8909163419528.r92.cf2.rackcdn.c om/133893.jpg

GHOSTRACER
11-02-2015, 07:00 PM
I try to get most of the bugs off by soaking, prior to washing. If there are some stubborn ones left, I use Honda spray cleaner/polish. Works great. Also use it to clean the windshield, in between washings. I keep a can and old t-shirt in the saddle bag and at least a can or two in the garage.

Brewdog
11-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I like Bugslide. Smells good and works great.

seadog
11-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Rick keeps that Honda clean and polish on the shelf, it works great on everything on the motorcycle, there is nothing there you can't use it on and it leaves no residue. If the bugs have been on there a while spray it on and let it work, they come off as easy as pie and I have been using it on my stubborn matte silver finish and it works on wheels, tires, vinyl, chrome, aluminum, rubber seals and the like, nothing is beyond its cleaning ability.

okf6b
11-02-2015, 07:10 PM
I have been using hydrogen peroxide on my F6B and on my prior GL1800. Works great with no harm to shield nor paint on bike. Use primarily on shield though. Simply dissolves the protein..

+1

Been using H2O2 for over 10 years. Cheap and it works great.

Big Cat
11-02-2015, 09:43 PM
There is a product sold at Auto Zone (and other auto parts stores, online, etc) called Bugs B Gone made by SeaFoam. Notwithstanding the many other great suggestions heretofore mentioned, this is the best stuff I have found to clean bugs off the bike. It absolutely melts them off! I carry a bottle in my saddlebag for quick clean-ups after a long day of riding. Love this stuff!

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-02-2015, 10:04 PM
As much liquid glass and polish that there is on mine, bugs usually wipe off pretty clean. For the b52"s, I use Honda line spray cleaner/ polish.
J