PDA

View Full Version : Narrowing down rack choice...MP3 OEM

RickJ
11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
I was like no brainer MP3 till I thought a little...and looked at my rear (?!~?) without the backrest...a large rack might be too much visually. Every comment I've seen on the search was basically a "bigger is better" type observation when comparing the OEM rack and the MP#. . At least one guy though, wants to trade his mp3 for an oem. Since size isn't my prime consideration, I'm wondering anyone who has and is satisfied with the oem, or has the MP3 and wants to chime in or has neither and just wants to bloviate!!I'm open to all thoughts. For me riding is still a blend of best function and best looking...and I'll sacrifice some function for better appearance. (Even with that "sacrifice" this bike is everything I could want.)

Fla_rider
11-02-2015, 01:48 PM
I'll do better! Paint Shopped!:icon_mrgreen:

willtill
11-02-2015, 01:59 PM
It all depends what you are going to use a rear rack for. You going to haul a large bag; or something very small?

BIGLRY
11-02-2015, 03:06 PM
On my F6B I'm a function over form type guy as I do haul large loads on the back, so for me the MP3 rack was the way to go.

SierraKen
11-02-2015, 03:52 PM
I was like no brainer MP3 till I thought a little...and looked at my rear (?!~?) without the backrest...a large rack might be too much visually. Every comment I've seen on the search was basically a "bigger is better" type observation when comparing the OEM rack and the MP#. . At least one guy though, wants to trade his mp3 for an oem. Since size isn't my prime consideration, I'm wondering anyone who has and is satisfied with the oem, or has the MP3 and wants to chime in or has neither and just wants to bloviate!!I'm open to all thoughts. For me riding is still a blend of best function and best looking...and I'll sacrifice some function for better appearance. (Even with that "sacrifice" this bike is everything I could want.)

The MP3 rack works well for me. Like the looks and the size. The OEM rack is just about useless in my opinion. Mine is mounted without the passenger backrest.

RickJ
11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
I'll do better! Paint Shopped!:icon_mrgreen:

That pic really helps- Thanks!

Will- Well, probably smaller than a case of beer!

AHHH Biglry...IF you were form OVER function...does the OEM appeal more, or does the MP3 still win your heart???

Thanks guys...

BIGLRY
11-03-2015, 01:34 AM
That pic really helps- Thanks!

Will- Well, probably smaller than a case of beer!

AHHH Biglry...IF you were form OVER function...does the OEM appeal more, or does the MP3 still win your heart???

Thanks guys...
Well, when I look at the pic I posted it looks like the MP3 has the best form to me too.:icon_biggrin:
click on pic for bigger view

Jimmytee
11-03-2015, 06:08 AM
I originally had an MP3 rack on order, but it was back ordered. When I bought my Corbin seat from someone on here, it came with the OEM luggage rack. I cancelled the MP3 rack. The OEM rack ,I think, is visually more appealing. IMHO It doesn't give you a lot of surface though to lay luggage on. When I bought my large Kury luggage piece, it was really meant to sit flat. This was not possible with the OEM rack. Plus the back rest limited where you can place as far as trying to center your load. My solution was to buy a 3/8" thick piece of black ABS plastic. With some rubber mounting pads, stainless bolts and clamping knobs, I made a platform. It is easily installed and removed. So when I am going somewhere that requires luggage, I just attach this platform onto the OEM luggage rack and my luggage sits perfectly.

shooter
11-03-2015, 07:52 AM
How about the Show Chrome rack.3545

Jayrock
11-03-2015, 06:28 PM
I originally had an MP3 rack on order, but it was back ordered. When I bought my Corbin seat from someone on here, it came with the OEM luggage rack. I cancelled the MP3 rack. The OEM rack ,I think, is visually more appealing. IMHO It doesn't give you a lot of surface though to lay luggage on. When I bought my large Kury luggage piece, it was really meant to sit flat. This was not possible with the OEM rack. Plus the back rest limited where you can place as far as trying to center your load. My solution was to buy a 3/8" thick piece of black ABS plastic. With some rubber mounting pads, stainless bolts and clamping knobs, I made a platform. It is easily installed and removed. So when I am going somewhere that requires luggage, I just attach this platform onto the OEM luggage rack and my luggage sits perfectly.

Pictures??

Jimmytee
11-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Pictures??
Here is the thread.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?6027-My-Kury-Bag-and-how-I-mounted-it

BigAl1952
11-03-2015, 10:18 PM
How about the Show Chrome rack.17533

Im with ya shooter. I like the the show chrome rack myself and also have one. Im not at all fond of all this flat black or matte silver look. To me it looks like someone forgot to paint the bike and so they just left it looking like primer paint. Its gotta produce more drag and all us guys with shiny paint jobs will be faster anyway. Those matte colors just gotta produce more wind drag.:stirthepot: Al

RickJ
11-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Well, when I look at the pic I posted it looks like the MP3 has the best form to me too.:icon_biggrin:
click on pic for bigger view

I may be getting there too (form-wise).

Shooter 'n Big Al- I love my chrome rivco pegs ahd chrome trimmed rear light...but the chrome rack just doesnt do it for me- nice rack though...

I might do a cardboard mock-up of the two sizes...though I'm warming up to the MP3....

I appreciate all views expressed, really. It reminds me that, as I knew, the final decision is mine, yet voices of experience help make an informed decision.

98valk
11-04-2015, 11:46 AM
I have the OEM rack and like it. It has held anything that I wanted to put on it.

I saw that offer to trade the OEM for a larger rack. I thought that was a great idea, at first. Until I looked at both of them again. IMHO, The big luggage rack takes away from the sleekness of the F6. :icon_cool: