PDA

View Full Version : Never did really like GW's. Until the F6B!

CTHarris
11-06-2015, 03:14 PM
I might get booted off the forum for saying this. Or applauded? I have always seen the GoldWing as an old person, gaudy, overly chromed out, transformer wannabe. Never had any interest in one. Until I tried the F6B. Yeah, yeah, same bike-except without a whole bunch of nice doo-dads But the look of my blacked out '13 is so unlike any GW I have ever seen. I love it! Am I alone in this?

Sorcerer
11-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Ya your out in left field😛. Welcome from Minnesota. Lots here with the same thoughts on theF6B. You should fit in nicely.

Phantom
11-06-2015, 03:48 PM
I might get booted off the forum for saying this. Or applauded? I have always seen the GoldWing as an old person, gaudy, overly chromed out, transformer wannabe. Never had any interest in one. Until I tried the F6B. Yeah, yeah, same bike-except without a whole bunch of nice doo-dads But the look of my blacked out '13 is so unlike any GW I have ever seen. I love it! Am I alone in this?

Your entitled to your opinion, I also thought it was an old man's bike until I purchased my Goldwing, I was 44 at the time and the F6B didn't exist. I had several other "cool" bikes in the stable. I purchased the Wing to "flip" , once she arrived I took my COUCH Rocket for a first time ride, fell in love with the creature comforts and she has never left my stable, I have since sold 3 of my other bikes .... the Wing is by far my favorite 2 wheeler.

gaudy, overly chromed out, transformer wannabe, ..... tastefully accessorized Goldwings don't fall into this broad generalization. I like a touch of chrome on my bikes, I also like redheads, blondes and brunettes, theres one for everyone's preference.
What someone else thinks about your bike is none of your business, customize it to your liking and just ride. :cheers:
EVERYONE will reach an age where comfort will prevail over what is "cool" .... some of us decided to start sooner then later :icon_wink::yes: Let's ride.

marmilia
11-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Sort of the same thoughts here, The full wing is a great touring bike but I would never buy one at my age. Love my F6B!

CTHarris
11-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Sort of the same thoughts here, The full wing is a great touring bike but I would never buy one at my age. Love my F6B!

Me neither. Hey, i am only 57. Way too young for that! ;-p

opas ride
11-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I totally agree with Phantom...The Goldwing is a terrific motorcycle and has nothing to do with the age of the rider...Most GW's can out-run, out-handle, and out-tour just about any bike on the road...Those that call it names or make judgment's have most likely never ridden or owned one...I love my F6B as it works for me now and I am almost 76...So as they say "don't knock it till you've tried it"...And too each his own....Just enjoy riding and be happy that you can. Chrome and extras added are a personal thing and have nothing to do with the basic bike....Ride safe

RickJ
11-06-2015, 06:16 PM
it's a real transformer...Transforms preconceptions, transforms stereotypes, transforms opinions AND effing transformed me to a proud OLD F6B owner.

welcome

Ridlikhel
11-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Never felt that way. Always thought how fun it would be to coast along the roads of America. Now I can just have a little more fun with a lot less weight.

Old Ryder
11-06-2015, 06:28 PM

Could not have said it any better!

Only better if it were red.

bob109
11-06-2015, 06:35 PM
At the ripe old age of 65, and after three heavy weight cruisers, my choice of the 6 was on target for me! A red beauty with no bling, plenty of zip and dependability was exactly what I was searching for and got with my purchase of my F6B. I'm well beyond the days of loud pipes and all the chrome which does absolutely zip for comfort and performance. Right from the crate the boxer six delivered unparalleled performance and the handling of this 840+ lb. cruiser speaks for itself. With just over 40K miles on the clock every single mile has been pleasurable and fun. If there's a future bike for me it will definitely be another 6. Not that I need cruise or self canceling turn signals but if there are there I'll take them. New brake pad and three sets of tires are all that has been replaced along with routine oil changes. The OEM spark plugs are in place and performing as the day the bike was new! Dollar for dollar the 6 is a true bargain when it comes to enjoyment. Looking at the full blown Wing, I was too cramped with the seating. The 6 overcame that issue and the rest is history.

Retired Army
11-06-2015, 06:45 PM
At what age does becoming discerning start?

bob109
11-06-2015, 06:52 PM
At what age does becoming discerning start?

Age breeds Wisdom:shhh:

shooter
11-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Age breeds Wisdom:shhh:

That don't work for everyone Bob. How old is Hillary?:yikes:

Retired Army
11-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Is that the reason there has never been an all female ballot?

gmorstad
11-06-2015, 07:55 PM

I am with you on that thought. I would not buy a full GW.

bob109
11-06-2015, 07:59 PM

That doesn't apply to any of the a$$hole air heads which work within the confines of Washington D.C. Belt Ways! My infant/young grandchildren demonstrate more reasoning power and wisdom than the Elected Jerks we all call our Representatives! From the top down there seems to be a lack of "Gray Brain Matter" in all our politicians. Just a rant and not meant to highjack this thread:shhh:

Ericb445
11-06-2015, 08:24 PM
They were never even on my radar.
Until the day I tried to hang with one on the twistys in Napa Valley when I was on my Yamaha R6 in 1997.
He tore me up and waited for me at the end.
I then learned they are not what they seem to be at all.

shooter
11-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I guess I'm different. I've always admired the GW but thought that it was really just "More" than I really needed. I've never had the kind of job where I can just take off and go riding. Actually haven't had a week straight off in over 20 years. I always said I would own a GW. The F6B just made it easier to do so. Sportier and much more suited to my style of riding. I like this bike more than any bike I've owned and that includes my 9. Didn't think I would ever say that.

SoCal Rich
11-06-2015, 09:30 PM
I'm with you, CT. That's why I even tried one, and it was love at first ride!

Fla_rider
11-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Could not have said it any better!

Only better if it were red.

Here, here! Most of us feel the same way! :clap2:

yellow rex
11-06-2015, 11:46 PM
I am 56 years young first wing at 28 never been with out a wing since then, I still have 2 wings in the stable with f6.

Remember the wing is what gave birth to the f6.

ths61
11-07-2015, 12:28 AM
My first wing looked something like this:

http://www.rcycle.com/GL1000_044a_cropp.JPG

BigAl1952
11-07-2015, 12:47 AM

Now that right there is funny:crackup:

Jimmytee
11-07-2015, 07:28 AM
The only real thing that would be cool about a fully dressed Wing is more places to put speakers.:icon_lol:

I love my F6B.

willtill
11-07-2015, 08:16 AM
The one thing that bothers me about the F6B is the lack of lean angle; before you start scraping pegs. It has me makes riding this bike more cautiously because of it. Maybe that's a good thing... or a bad thing :shrug:

It's exacerbated even more with the Kuryakyn 3/4" drop down adapters and #4321 Kinetic pegs I've since installed.

I need to find a better solution to this problem. I may end up reinstalling the stock OEM driver pegs; to get back to some normalcy of taking corners without dragging parts like this.

Jimmytee
11-07-2015, 08:34 AM
The one thing that bothers me about the F6B is the lack of lean angle; before you start scraping pegs. It has me makes riding this bike more cautiously because of it. Maybe that's a good thing... or a bad thing :shrug:

It's exacerbated even more with the Kuryakyn 3/4" drop down adapters and #4321 Kinetic pegs I've since installed.

I need to find a better solution to this problem. I may end up reinstalling the stock OEM driver pegs; to get back to some normalcy of taking corners without dragging parts like this.

I'm sure the drop down pegs affect lean angle. However, I will say I've actually increased cornering speed while having less dragging by practicing throttle control and choosing proper lines. This was verified at the recent F6B rally when riding through the Dragon, I could hear the two in front of me scraping almost every corner all the way through and I never scraped once. Here I was wondering if I had just not been riding as hard, and it turns out yeah I could go faster before I start scraping.

DaWadd
11-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I actually like the Goldwing but the high price tag up here ($30,000) and the cramped seating broke the deal for me. The F6B is perfect for my wallet and style of riding."coffee"

stroguy
11-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Here's another old person ride.

It's how fast you can get from A to B comfortably for me.

Tony boot this bum out of here.

opas ride
11-07-2015, 09:56 AM
My first wing looked something like this:

http://www.rcycle.com/GL1000_044a_cropp.JPG

That is the first one I had way back when..bought it new in 1976 as a left over 1975 model....

shooter
11-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Couldn't scrape up themoney for that one. Bought a new CB750 in 76. Still one of my favorites.

Old Ryder
11-07-2015, 08:12 PM
It was an XL125 for $725. The price for a Wing back then was way beyond my $150 week income.

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-07-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm blessed to own some very nice V twins. But the F6B - aka: the black bike, is a show stopper even among HD buds.
Fun to lite up the stereo with some Judist Priest and watch them look the bike over
J

phoenixrdr
11-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Bought my first Gold Wing a yellow 1976 model in Feb. of 1977 for $2450.00 rode it till Jan. of 1981. Then bought a new maroon 1981 Gold Wing for $3650.00. At the time, those two models were just about the fastest save for maybe a Kaw 900 in 1977, or in the year of 1981 maybe a CBX or XS1100 Yamaha or possibly the Kaw 1000 by then. I was 22 years old when i bought my first wing, am now 61 and ride an F6, and a R1200RT BMW, maybe not the fastest anymore, but you know what they say. The older I get the faster I was.....Safe Riding,,,,

SoCal Rich
11-08-2015, 12:29 AM
I'm blessed to own some very nice V twins. But the F6B - aka: the black bike, is a show stopper even among HD buds.
Fun to lite up the stereo with some Judist Priest and watch them look the bike over
J

I was Hell Bent for Leather until I heard Metal Gods and thereupon began Livin After Midnight!

oldman
11-08-2015, 10:30 AM
This thread caught my eye because I do not (yet) own an F6b but it is my hope to get one next spring. One of my concerns was that I would feel cramped on the bike, both in the seating and in general, because that is how I remember my one chance to ride a GW years ago. How is the seating less cramped on an F6b? I thought it was essentially the same as the GW but with a lower and slightly smaller fairing. I currently ride a Triumph Thunderbird, which is about 90 lbs. lighter than the F6b and certainly does not feel cramped at all. My one "experience" with the F6b was sitting on a sold model on the dealer's showroom floor, but its hard to judge the feel it would have on a ride from just sitting on one. What am I missing in regard to the differences between the GW and the F6b in terms of the feel of it when riding?

shooter
11-08-2015, 10:38 AM
You won't feel cramped on the B. The seat has much more room than the GW. A good set of Hwy Pegs so you can stretch your legs and you'll be set.

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-08-2015, 11:06 AM
I was Hell Bent for Leather until I heard Metal Gods and thereupon began Livin After Midnight!

'all/right'... Some describe my 6 as evil and sick looking. I take it that is cool.

The butt chock removed from the F6 seat, allows your feet and legs to be positioned forward, with your arse farther away from the tank.

Floor boards, driver backrest. handle bar risers and highway pegs turned mine into a very fine road sofa.

It's also my opinion the F6 rides like on rails and handles better than 99 % of other touring bikes out there.
Ymmv
J

Old Ryder
11-08-2015, 11:43 AM
This thread caught my eye because I do not (yet) own an F6b but it is my hope to get one next spring. One of my concerns was that I would feel cramped on the bike, both in the seating and in general, because that is how I remember my one chance to ride a GW years ago. How is the seating less cramped on an F6b? I thought it was essentially the same as the GW but with a lower and slightly smaller fairing. I currently ride a Triumph Thunderbird, which is about 90 lbs. lighter than the F6b and certainly does not feel cramped at all. My one "experience" with the F6b was sitting on a sold model on the dealer's showroom floor, but its hard to judge the feel it would have on a ride from just sitting on one. What am I missing in regard to the differences between the GW and the F6b in terms of the feel of it when riding?

One of the things that most here agree on--- The B will PROBABLY require some modification to fit the rider. Some guys are a perfect fit right off the showroom floor.

The same statement is true if we were talking about other models, too but especially with the wide engine on the wing/Fb models. It really all depends on your body shape, size and the length of your limbs. They make seats, hiway bars, mini boards, risers, etc... to fix those things. V Twins are easier to fit as the engine is much narrower and allows more flexibility since your knees have more wiggle room. The downside to that is you do not have the flat 6 engine with all of those benifits.

Santa
11-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Same here, never really fit for me!
But my "b" is just right!
Next step, more lights on rear:clap2:

VStarRider
11-08-2015, 06:19 PM
I came off a VStar 1100, and the F6B and its additional 250 lbs. easily outperforms it in the curves. There is one tight S-curve on the way to work where the signs advise 25 mph max…I never felt comfortable taking those at more than 40 mph on the Vstar (at 41, the boards would scrape), but 45 mph is no problem on the 6. In fact, if I wanted to push it, I am sure 50 mph is within range based on how easy 45 mph is.

I never expected this bike to handle this well, and I don't get it. Its a lot heavier…it has a long wheelbase, like the 1100 does…yet it handles almost like a refined sport bike. I noticed this immediately, as soon as I pulled out of the dealer's lot...

CTHarris
11-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Compared to the VTX1300 that was replaced by the 6, the lean angle is awesome! Of course the X had forward floorboards and that never helped anybody's clearance.

stroguy
11-08-2015, 06:54 PM
I came off a VStar 1100, and the F6B and its additional 250 lbs. easily outperforms it in the curves. There is one tight S-curve on the way to work where the signs advise 25 mph max…I never felt comfortable taking those at more than 40 mph on the Vstar (at 41, the boards would scrape), but 45 mph is no problem on the 6. In fact, if I wanted to push it, I am sure 50 mph is within range based on how easy 45 mph is.

Are you holding your lane? 25 points off max score for crossing the yellow line......each and every instance!

buckeyeken47
11-08-2015, 07:07 PM
I used to own a GL1500 and one big difference is the engine heat. There was so much heat from the 1500 that if the temperature is over 85 I would sweat up a storm. No so with the B - it's nice and cool riding around town regardless of the heat.

Old Ryder
11-09-2015, 08:15 AM
I used to own a GL1500 and one big difference is the engine heat. There was so much heat from the 1500 that if the temperature is over 85 I would sweat up a storm. No so with the B - it's nice and cool riding around town regardless of the heat.

I had a 1999 Valkyrie and when the fan on that big ole radiator kicked in, it would blow all the hot air right back at ya! Not so on the newer designed B. Also, the older models had a much higher center of gravity.

MisterB
11-10-2015, 12:48 AM
I thought they were too big for me to handle.
Bought a Kaw Concours off a guy who had a Wing, had never got close to one in person before, I thought it was the biggest motorcycle in the world!
After the Concours I got an ST1300, and now moving the F6B I can see it's just a matter of getting used to the size.
For this overweight, 50 yr old with a bad back the F6B is a dream!! EVERY time I ride it is a joy, makes my commute to work and home something to look forward to.

waynerock66
11-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Although my wife still won't ride, yet, she always admired the full GW especially the older Aspencades. My response for years was that if Honda ever made a "sport" version of the wing I might take a look at one. The full wing just always like a hulking behemoth compared to all of the other motorcycles I've rode over the years. Then walking into the local dealer back in 2013 what did I spy? A black and a red F6B sitting on the floor. I was love at first sight. It took me 2 years but I got my 6, in the fastest color... black of course. I live this motorcycle!!!! Now to get my wife on it before the weather turns too cold.

VStarRider
11-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Although my wife still won't ride, yet, she always admired the full GW especially the older Aspencades. My response for years was that if Honda ever made a "sport" version of the wing I might take a look at one. The full wing just always like a hulking behemoth compared to all of the other motorcycles I've rode over the years. Then walking into the local dealer back in 2013 what did I spy? A black and a red F6B sitting on the floor. I was love at first sight. It took me 2 years but I got my 6, in the fastest color... black of course. I live this motorcycle!!!! Now to get my wife on it before the weather turns too cold.

"RV-ish" is the term I use to describe the full Wing. Just too much. You get all of the great features in the 6 without the Winnebago look.

SierraKen
11-10-2015, 10:44 PM
The full wing may be big and bulky looking but there are very few bikes that can stay with it in the twisties with a good driver on board. The big girl is truly a sport bike on steroids. Having said that, I do love the look and feel of my F6b.

VStarRider
11-11-2015, 07:32 AM
The full wing may be big and bulky looking but there are very few bikes that can stay with it in the twisties with a good driver on board. The big girl is truly a sport bike on steroids. Having said that, I do love the look and feel of my F6b.

I agree…I have watched some videos of guys tearing it up on big Wings. Plus, the extra 60 lbs. that the full Wing has is not enough to damper the power of that Boxer 6…man, that is the fastest Winnebago one can buy!:icon_cool:

JetBlackWing
11-13-2015, 10:46 AM
I thought they were too big for me to handle.
Bought a Kaw Concours off a guy who had a Wing, had never got close to one in person before, I thought it was the biggest motorcycle in the world!
After the Concours I got an ST1300, and now moving the F6B I can see it's just a matter of getting used to the size.
For this overweight, 50 yr old with a bad back the F6B is a dream!! EVERY time I ride it is a joy, makes my commute to work and home something to look forward to.

Did you post some bike reviews on youtube? Your bike descriptions sound familiar.

Big Dawg
11-13-2015, 11:16 AM
It is just plain and simple facts. Stock Goldwings don't have very much chome at all. Most owners add a bunch of Chinese Kuryakan crap that turns green in a couple of years. I only add items that are functional or help make it more comfortable for the long haul. I don't add all the chrome crap. As for the differences, I like and use all the extra equipment that comes on a wing, because I like to ride long distances then all those extras come in handy on day trips or 10,000 miles trips. I also own a Kawasaki Concours and it is a great bike too.

The only other statement that I will make is: It is only an old man's bike if you ride it like one!!!!