PDA

View Full Version : 2+1

VStarRider
11-14-2015, 07:38 PM
There's a recent thread on unexpected surprises regarding accessories for the F6B.

With so many new owners active on the forum (including me) and a mix of veteran owners with 40k+ miles on them, I thought I was ask:

What are two things that surprised about the F6B itself as a new owner, or as a veteran owner? These can be positive, neutral or negative.

What is one thing that has disappointed you?

I'll go first.

Surprises:

1.) The power. Not being a priority, I did not carefully research engine power, acceleration, 1/4 mile times, etc. I knew the 6 had good power, but that is all I knew. It's lightning quick acceleration and seemingly unlimited torque at all RPMs still continues to surprise me even after logging 700+ late season miles…

2.) The handling. This bike handles great. Shockingly nimble at low speeds, eats up the curves at higher speeds. Handles with ease, despite its wheelbase and weight.

Disappointment:

1.) The notchy/balky shifting. My old VStar shifted like butter. I expected any Japanese bike to shift with precision. Not the F6B. Very stiff, notchy, and occasionally does not engage in 4th and 5th. I know this is not a foreign topic on this forum on the '13 models.

okiedoc
11-14-2015, 07:49 PM
My 2015 had a loud clunk between first and second for about the first 4500 miles. It is much smoother now. I have also heard switching to a synthetic after the motor is broke in helps. I have not done this yet but think I will on my next oil change.

opas ride
11-14-2015, 08:12 PM
There's a recent thread on unexpected surprises regarding accessories for the F6B.

With so many new owners active on the forum (including me) and a mix of veteran owners with 40k+ miles on them, I thought I was ask:

What are two things that surprised about the F6B itself as a new owner, or as a veteran owner? These can be positive, neutral or negative.

What is one thing that has disappointed you?

I'll go first.

Surprises:

1.) The power. Not being a priority, I did not carefully research engine power, acceleration, 1/4 mile times, etc. I knew the 6 had good power, but that is all I knew. It's lightning quick acceleration and seemingly unlimited torque at all RPMs still continues to surprise me even after logging 700+ late season miles…

2.) The handling. This bike handles great. Shockingly nimble at low speeds, eats up the curves at higher speeds. Handles with ease, despite its wheelbase and weight.

Disappointment:

1.) The notchy/balky shifting. My old VStar shifted like butter. I expected any Japanese bike to shift with precision. Not the F6B. Very stiff, notchy, and occasionally does not engage in 4th and 5th. I know this is not a foreign topic on this forum on the '13 models.

Either you are expecting some kind of miracle, or just don't shift the bike at the right time/speeds...I have ridden many Jap bikes over the years and my F6B shifts just as good if not better than most...Synthetic oil helps somewhat, but mine shifts just fine...And if I get an occasional clunk, so what....the trans, for the more part is "bullet proof"...Try shifting above 3000 rpm, big difference, and don't baby the shifter, click it into gears like you mean it....Ride safe

shooter
11-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Opas has it right on. The biggest mistake riders make is taking the shift for granted. No need to short shift , run the rpms up and shift it like you mean it. Mine is butter smooth.

wjduke
11-15-2015, 05:19 AM
I only have two days riding on mine and I think the shifting is awesome compared to my M109. The best description I tell people is it now clicks instead of clunks.

stroguy
11-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Yep opas, you are right. Shooter started me on that change in paradigm and it is like being born again. OK maybe not that extreme, but it is such a smoother way to shift. Don't tell shooter he helped.

Big Cat
11-15-2015, 08:52 AM
My 2015 had a loud clunk between first and second for about the first 4500 miles. It is much smoother now. I have also heard switching to a synthetic after the motor is broke in helps. I have not done this yet but think I will on my next oil change.

There is an additive that might help improve clunky shifting...called ZDD Plus...you can buy it on Amazon and a number of other places. Check out the main website at www.zddplus.com (http://www.zddplus.com) for more product information.

I learned about this product from Fred Harmon over on the GL1800riders forum. He is a highly-regarded GL1800 technician and all-around good guy. He researched this product a couple of years ago and recommended it to improve shift smoothness. I add one 4 oz. bottle every time I change oil. You can buy a package of five bottles for around $40 at Amazon.com.

Does it work? Well, I cannot make any grandiose claims that it will make your shifting butter-smooth...a lot of that depends on the operator...but I have been using this product for 2-3 years now and "feel" that my shifting is smoother and that I am doing something that will prolong the life of my motor and transmission. I may be wrong, too, but at least it hasn't made things any worse!

If you have clunky shifting, you might want to at least research this a little...:039:

Steve 0080
11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
There is an additive that might help improve clunky shifting...called ZDD Plus...you can buy it on Amazon and a number of other places. Check out the main website at www.zddplus.com (http://www.zddplus.com) for more product information.

I learned about this product from Fred Harmon over on the GL1800riders forum. He is a highly-regarded GL1800 technician and all-around good guy. He researched this product a couple of years ago and recommended it to improve shift smoothness. I add one 4 oz. bottle every time I change oil. You can buy a package of five bottles for around $40 at Amazon.com.

Does it work? Well, I cannot make any grandiose claims that it will make your shifting butter-smooth...a lot of that depends on the operator...but I have been using this product for 2-3 years now and "feel" that my shifting is smoother and that I am doing something that will prolong the life of my motor and transmission. I may be wrong, too, but at least it hasn't made things any worse!

If you have clunky shifting, you might want to at least research this a little...:039:

Funny, I brought this product up and have used it every other oil change and was called very ugly names for using it:clap2:...lets see snake oil was one of the kinder names...

Big Cat
11-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Funny, I brought this product up and have used it every other oil change and was called very ugly names for using it:clap2:...lets see snake oil was one of the kinder names...

Yes, I am not surprised...that is why I am very careful to use words like "might" instead of "will"...there will always be divergent opinions, some swear by this stuff, others call it a waste of money...but for guys who have "clunky" shifting, it might be worth a try...

shooter
11-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Yep opas, you are right. Shooter started me on that change in paradigm and it is like being born again. OK maybe not that extreme, but it is such a smoother way to shift. Don't tell shooter he helped.

I wish you wouldn't use such big words when you pat me on the back. What is a 'para....'. Forget it. I learn a new word every day. I'll get to it.

shooter
11-15-2015, 11:46 AM
I only have two days riding on mine and I think the shifting is awesome compared to my M109. The best description I tell people is it now clicks instead of clunks.

Wayne you are so right. Compared to a 109 the B shift is like glass. Hope you're enjoying that thing man.

F6B1911
11-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Surprises:

1.) Never thought a Honda could measure up to a BMW.
2.) The 7-Year Warranty, it gives you piece of mind that H-D could never give a customer.

Disappointment:

1.) An embarassment for a paint job. Tonka Trucks have better paint!

Slammd
11-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Wait!! I have the perfect fix for the F6B shifting problem………..ride a Harley for a while :icon_lol:….I've been riding Harleys (and still do - yes, love them too…for different reasons) for years and if you think the F6B is clunky… Since many things in life are relative, I'm fine with the Honda's shifting. But I digress….

Surprises: the amazing and linear torque this thing has, the effortless handling (after riding and getting back on the Harley, I feel like I need to hit the gym), how well balanced the bike is…did I mention the power and handling of the bike?

Disappointments: The outer skin of the bike is almost completely plastic and the finish (paint) I feel is of poor quality. Also, would have expected a little more sophisticated technology from a mature product (Goldwing)…like throttle-by-wire instead of cable, a little bit more intelligent braking system like what Harley uses in it's "Rushmore" touring products (linked abs brakes above 25mph and unlinked below that speed), digital fuel reserve (way more accurate than an analog fuel gauge), the lack (or non-existence) of performance parts/offerings for the Goldwing product line (yeah I know it really doesn't need it…but I WANT more!!)

…but I guess they're just trade offs!:icon_biggrin:

At the end of the day…for it's size, the F6B has to be one of the (if not THE) most comfortable, best performing motorcycles I've ever owned!

VStarRider
11-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Well…I never used the term "clunky" to describe the shifting…notchy and balky, yes, because it seems to balk at going into 4th and 5th at times. I have tried the 3000+ rpm shifting, and yes, it is smoother. However, I don't want to rev it that high each time I shift. I have noticed that under gentle acceleration it shifts smoothly also (~1500 rpm). It seems as though 2000 rpm is where it is the worst.

The range of motion on my Vstar shifter between gears is larger, where the B is much shorter. Perhaps I have not adjusted to that yet. However, the V just needs light pressure to change gears as it seems like it almost has a power assist in shifting…except into first...I think Yammy intentionally engineered in a CLUNK into first, as that's what the Harleys do, and their riders seem to think that is the cat's arse.

I'll try less pressure during upshifts and see what happens. The 4th-5th shift is always a crapshoot. I feel like I have to wait until OD lights up before letting out the clutch because so many times I have let it out and it ground gears, then revved into no man's land between 4th-5th.

stroguy
11-15-2015, 02:28 PM
I wish you wouldn't use such big words when you pat me on the back. What is a 'para....'. Forget it. I learn a new word every day. I'll get to it.

Crimmaneee, ok just for you

stroguy
11-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Well…I never used the term "clunky" to describe the shifting…notchy and balky, yes, because it seems to balk at going into 4th and 5th at times. I have tried the 3000+ rpm shifting, and yes, it is smoother. However, I don't want to rev it that high each time I shift. I have noticed that under gentle acceleration it shifts smoothly also (~1500 rpm). It seems as though 2000 rpm is where it is the worst.

The range of motion on my Vstar shifter between gears is larger, where the B is much shorter. Perhaps I have not adjusted to that yet. However, the V just needs light pressure to change gears as it seems like it almost has a power assist in shifting…except into first...I think Yammy intentionally engineered in a CLUNK into first, as that's what the Harleys do, and their riders seem to think that is the cat's arse.

I'll try less pressure during upshifts and see what happens. The 4th-5th shift is always a crapshoot. I feel like I have to wait until OD lights up before letting out the clutch because so many times I have let it out and it ground gears, then revved into no man's land between 4th-5th.

Just my opinion, but you should be shifting well above 2500. There is no need to rev it as I rarely up shift below 2800-3000.

shooter
11-15-2015, 03:29 PM

Step back a second and read the posts. We are trying to help. But you have to be receptive. (Learned that one yesterday Stro). Besides shifting at a higher rpm is the rpm drop that you allow on the shift. I see guys and its like , pull the clutch.......... , flip the shifter........... , release the clutch. Even on a slow speed shift it should be , pulltheclutchfliptheshifterreleasetheclutch. One quick fluid motion. Practice makes perfect. That different pressure stuff ain't gonna cut it. Bang the gear crisply.

BIGLRY
11-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Step back a second and read the posts. We are trying to help. But you have to be receptive. (Learned that one yesterday Stro). Besides shifting at a higher rpm is the rpm drop that you allow on the shift. I see guys and its like , pull the clutch.......... , flip the shifter........... , release the clutch. Even on a slow speed shift it should be , pulltheclutchfliptheshifterreleasetheclutch. One quick fluid motion. Practice makes perfect. That different pressure stuff ain't gonna cut it. Bang the gear crisply.Yep...one continuous motion with no time delay, an shift like you mean it, no pussy foot shifting.:icon_lol:

shooter
11-15-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't know about you guys but it always makes me feel better when Larry agrees with me.'riding'

seadog
11-15-2015, 04:19 PM

You can put synthetic in it after the breaking oil is done at 4000 miles, you don't have to wait, you can put synthetic in right from the git go if you like it.

BIGLRY
11-15-2015, 04:35 PM
I don't know about you guys but it always makes me feel better when Larry agrees with me.'riding'http://www.badideatshirts.com/Assets/ProductImages/PS_0229W_DISAGREE_ME.jpg
But in this case you are.:pbt:

stroguy
11-15-2015, 04:54 PM
I don't know about you guys but it always makes me feel better when Larry agrees with me.'riding'

It's definitely a 'damn straight' moment with your inner self.

VStarRider
11-15-2015, 05:16 PM
Step back a second and read the posts. We are trying to help. But you have to be receptive. (Learned that one yesterday Stro). Besides shifting at a higher rpm is the rpm drop that you allow on the shift. I see guys and its like , pull the clutch.......... , flip the shifter........... , release the clutch. Even on a slow speed shift it should be , pulltheclutchfliptheshifterreleasetheclutch. One quick fluid motion. Practice makes perfect. That different pressure stuff ain't gonna cut it. Bang the gear crisply.

I will follow this advice.

shooter
11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
V-Star I hope your shifting practice goes smooth for you. Pun intended. The B is a great bike. I don't care what you ride this bike has to be respected. Good luck.

bertrider
11-15-2015, 07:21 PM
In response to Vstar's original post,I agree with him. My biggest complaint is the shifting, BUT I came from sport and
sport touring bikes. You have to accept the fact that the f6b has a transmission designed for a different use and then
go ride the snot out of it.

Old Ryder
11-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Butter smooth shifts???? Disappointed with the comparison of your 500 lb sport tour machine with the 900 lb F6B? They are 2 completely different machines. I have owned Victory and Harley cruisers and the B is not lacking.

My challenge------you got a better tranny in brand X bike? Show me a better engine bolted to it?