PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage Opinions for a Newbie

Cypack
11-16-2015, 09:54 AM
This is the first winter I've had a bike, so I'm in need of advice. The basics of storage--oil change, battery removal, cleaning, cover, etc.--I got figured out.

My issue is where to store my red F6B. I have two choices, (1) in my in-law's garage 2 hours away or (2) in my home's covered parking pad. I want to ride as late in the season as possible, so I'd prefer to store it in my covered parking area. Would the wise readers of this forum choose the covered parking pad or the in-law's garage?

oldman
11-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Even with a cover you will find condensation on the bike if it sits outside. To that extent you are better off having it covered and in a garage as well. I never remove the battery; I just hook it up to the Battery Tender for the winter. But one additional thing to the winterizing tasks that you mention - stuff rags into the exhaust pipes. Little critters like to make their nests in tight small spaces.

seadog
11-16-2015, 06:15 PM
don't forget to seafoam that motor after your done riding. 1 ounce for every gallon of gas so at 6.6 gallons in the F6B you would be fine putting 7 ounces in and then take it for a short ride after pouring in the gas to make sure it goes all the way thru the system. Definitely garaged under cover with a Battery tender hook up to it.

jm21ddd15
11-16-2015, 09:10 PM
This is the first winter I've had a bike, so I'm in need of advice. The basics of storage--oil change, battery removal, cleaning, cover, etc.--I got figured out.

My issue is where to store my red F6B. I have two choices, (1) in my in-law's garage 2 hours away or (2) in my home's covered parking pad. I want to ride as late in the season as possible, so I'd prefer to store it in my covered parking area. Would the wise readers of this forum choose the covered parking pad or the in-law's garage?
You can store it in my garage, next to my 6. I promise I won't ride yours. 'riding':clap2:

Russell
11-21-2015, 07:10 AM
Even with a cover you will find condensation on the bike if it sits outside. To that extent you are better off having it covered and in a garage as well. I never remove the battery; I just hook it up to the Battery Tender for the winter. But one additional thing to the winterizing tasks that you mention - stuff rags into the exhaust pipes. Little critters like to make their nests in tight small spaces.

What a great tip about the rags in the pipes. I was out having a coffee in the garage this morning and had two little critters run across the floor. Step 1: Stuff rags in pipes Step 2: Go to war with mice.

F6bisnext
11-21-2015, 07:22 AM
If you have a center stand use it. When I winterized my bikes I always got the tires up off the floor so no flat spots would happen.

stevenolts
11-21-2015, 08:13 AM
I like to to ride mine through the winter when I can. (my opinion) The bike needs to be ridden once a month min (If there is no snow on the road ride it)

I used to go to the Harley Dealers winter seminars about preparing for winter.
Stabalizer or Seafoam to keep the gas good
battery tender
exercise the bike like it is your steel horse (ride it)

Get some gear you can plug into the bike for heat. My Tourmaster heated liner was only about $150.00. ( I have had it for over 5 years so far) It was worth every penny because that with some leather pants, leather jacket, boots, and gloves (which you should already have) allows me to ride down to 20 to 30 degrees for up to an hour. My opinion is why be cold ever / if I get a little cold even on a summer evening plug in with a light jacket. It makes the ride so much more enjoyable. I know you have all had times when you were shivering and a little heat would make all the difference. I use my heated liner all year long when ever needed. Not being cold makes the ride safer also. (better concentration)

But Don't ride it unless you can go min 45 min to get the engine up to full temp and evaporate all the condensation inside the engine.
Steve

willtill
11-21-2015, 10:07 AM
I like to to ride mine through the winter when I can. (my opinion) The bike needs to be ridden once a month min (If there is no snow on the road ride it)

I used to go to the Harley Dealers winter seminars about preparing for winter.
Stabalizer or Seafoam to keep the gas good
battery tender
exercise the bike like it is your steel horse (ride it)

Get some gear you can plug into the bike for heat. My Tourmaster heated liner was only about $150.00. ( I have had it for over 5 years so far) It was worth every penny because that with some leather pants, leather jacket, boots, and gloves (which you should already have) allows me to ride down to 20 to 30 degrees for up to an hour. My opinion is why be cold ever / if I get a little cold even on a summer evening plug in with a light jacket. It makes the ride so much more enjoyable. I know you have all had times when you were shivering and a little heat would make all the difference. I use my heated liner all year long when ever needed. Not being cold makes the ride safer also. (better concentration)

But Don't ride it unless you can go min 45 min to get the engine up to full temp and evaporate all the condensation inside the engine.
Steve

Worth repeating. :yes:

bob109
11-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Parking my 6 in sunny Orange Lake, Florida for six months i.e. October thru April, allows me to avoid all the winterizing Bull $hit! Other than adding a can of Sea Foam into the tank and racking up 1500 miles per month, moisture in the crank case and exhaust system is never a problem. Bugs are kind of tough but easily removed. Several coats of sun baked Liquid Glass over the winter adds to the sheen on my Red Six:icon_wink:

Cypack
11-21-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I especially appreciate the 45 min/ride minimum rule. Stevenolts, riding in STL during the winter, do you ever worry about salt damage?

stevenolts
11-21-2015, 04:39 PM
In the winter I will rinse it off after a ride when there has been salt on the road. I decided a while back to just ride my bike not worry about how pretty it is. I do clean it now an then but I ride it all the time and just enjoy it. I know others have more miles but I am proud to say I have 13000 miles in the 7 1/2 months since i bought the F6B. I am more in love with it now than when I first bought it.
Steve

stevenolts
11-21-2015, 04:45 PM
The best thing about owning the F6B or a Gold Wing is that you really don't have to worry about putting too many miles on the bike and it wearing out. I think the best thing for the bike is to ride it all the time. If I put 15,000 miles on the bike a year for 20 years it will have 300,000 miles and I read about a guy who had over 500,000 with minimal maintenance. Plus I will be proud to have ridden that many miles and it would be worth every penny I spent on the bike. I am 55 so after 20 years if I am still riding at 70 I will deserve a beutiful new 2035 F6B.
Steve

stevenolts
11-21-2015, 04:46 PM
I would be 75 not 70 after 20 years.
Steve

F6B1911
11-21-2015, 05:52 PM
I was thinking of just parking my F6B in Steve0080's garage for the winter, it's snowing here in Detroit today!!

VStarRider
11-22-2015, 04:27 PM
What a great tip about the rags in the pipes. I was out having a coffee in the garage this morning and had two little critters run across the floor. Step 1: Stuff rags in pipes Step 2: Go to war with mice.

Something I have never read on this forum: spraying fogging oil or squirting oil through the spark plug holes into each cylinder to prevent rust inside the engine during winter storage.

willtill
11-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Something I have never read on this forum: spraying fogging oil or squirting oil through the spark plug holes into each cylinder to prevent rust inside the engine during winter storage.

The manual does not call for that, and I have never done that on any motorcycle. For a bike to sit for a few months... IMHO not needed but...

...if it's going to sit for longer than a year... sure; that would be a good idea. :yes:

I used fogging oil on my 200hp Johnson outboard when I put it up for the season... because the manual DID call for that preparation.

VStarRider
11-22-2015, 10:59 PM
The manual does not call for that, and I have never done that on any motorcycle. For a bike to sit for a few months... IMHO not needed but...

...if it's going to sit for longer than a year... sure; that would be a good idea. :yes:

I used fogging oil on my 200hp Johnson outboard when I put it up for the season... because the manual DID call for that preparation.

I've always winterized outboards, mowers, any engine with a long off-season, using fogging oil as part of the routine. We have a seven month riding season up here, so the bike will likely sit for five months most years. Though, this year, the riding season has been extended, courtesy of El Nino.:icon_mrgreen: I say that, but it is snowing outside right now.

I probably won't do it because most don't and the owner's manual doesn't call for it. I did squirt some fogging oil in each cylinder of my VStar, though.

Brasco
11-22-2015, 11:39 PM

My owner's manual does recommend removing the plugs and pouring a small amount of clean oil in the cylinders to prevent possibility of rust forming during winter months. Have a look at page 182/183 in the 'Storing Your Honda' section. Just finished with this procedure -- a PIA but figure it can't hurt.

bob109
11-23-2015, 07:30 AM
My owner's manual does recommend removing the plugs and pouring a small amount of clean oil in the cylinders to prevent possibility of rust forming during winter months. Have a look at page 182/183 in the 'Storing Your Honda' section. Just finished with this procedure -- a PIA but figure it can't hurt.

You're absolutely right! 15-20cc fresh/new oil per cylinder!

willtill
11-23-2015, 08:59 AM
You're absolutely right! 15-20cc fresh/new oil per cylinder!

Never saw that it the manual.. I must've glassed over it... :shock:

I stand corrected :icon_redface:

At any rate... my bike doesn't spend too long out of operation; maybe two months at the extreme most... there's always a nice day here and there to ride it and skake any cobwebs off of it... unless the roads have been salted... so I'm not oiling up the cylinders. Just keep Seafoam in the gas tank and keep the battery on a tender.

bob109
11-23-2015, 09:30 AM

At any rate... my bike doesn't spend too long out of operation; maybe two months at the extreme most... there's always a nice day here and there to ride it and skake any cobwebs off of it... unless the roads have been salted... so I'm not oiling up the cylinders. Just keep Seafoam in the gas tank and keep the battery on a tender.

Like you, none my bikes, including the 6, sit long enough to warrent "fogging the cylinders"! That said, I routinely use Sea Foam for "peace of mind" regarding the fuel system.:icon_wink:

Brasco
11-23-2015, 03:07 PM

hehehe . . . Willtill and Bob109, you're making me jealous! Generally a five month storage period here in Alberta, so will probably carry on with the oil in the cylinders routine every fall. Wish I could employ your storage routines! Putting oil in there without a bike lift was waay harder than on my old VTX. A plastic syringe with a long tip got the job done but laying on the cold garage floor to get level with the plugs and fussing around with the oil/syringe gizmo was a pain (which the next day now resides in the side of my neck). Gotta take care of new baby though so it's all good!!
'freezing-cold'

willtill
11-23-2015, 04:15 PM
hehehe . . . Willtill and Bob109, you're making me jealous! Generally a five month storage period here in Alberta, so will probably carry on with the oil in the cylinders routine every fall. Wish I could employ your storage routines! Putting oil in there without a bike lift was waay harder than on my old VTX. A plastic syringe with a long tip got the job done but laying on the cold garage floor to get level with the plugs and fussing around with the oil/syringe gizmo was a pain (which the next day now resides in the side of my neck). Gotta take care of new baby though so it's all good!!
'freezing-cold'

If I had a motorcycle and I had to put it up for five months... due to the weather...

...I don't think I could handle it. I'd have to cut my throat. :icon_lol: P.M.S. affects me very strongly. :shock:

wjduke
11-23-2015, 04:27 PM
If I had a motorcycle and I had to put it up for five months... due to the weather...

...I don't think I could handle it. I'd have to cut my throat. :icon_lol: P.M.S. affects me very strongly. :shock:

3-4 here in New England....that's bad enough, but worse with a new machine sitting there. :banghead:

bob109
11-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Someone mentioned that the tail pipes could be plugged using rags to keep little critters out of the exhaust! Mice like cloth and will quickly shred it! 0000 Steel Wool placed into the pipes will eliminate that possibility and can be readily inserted/removed with needle nose pliers.:icon_wink:

Brasco
11-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Someone mentioned that the tail pipes could be plugged using rags to keep little critters out of the exhaust! Mice like cloth and will quickly shred it! 0000 Steel Wool placed into the pipes will eliminate that possibility and can be readily inserted/removed with needle nose pliers.:icon_wink:

I've always sprayed some WD40 inside the pipes and then covered them with some heavy duty plastic (like drywall vapour barrier or several plastic bags) secured with several elastic bands.

opas ride
11-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Steel wool works fine for me so far..With the Cobra's and six options for the little pests, a small cup of Anti-Freeze near the rear of the bike is also a great solution...Mice/Vols, etc. love to drink the stuff as it tastes sweet to them, but it will kill them after a "few snorts"....Winter storage is a pain in the ass!!!.....Wish I could move to Arizona or such, but I can't......Ride safe

seadog
11-25-2015, 06:58 AM
I was thinking of just parking my F6B in Steve0080's garage for the winter, it's snowing here in Detroit today!!

If your going south this time of year a snow tire is a must have item when leaving Detroit, Michigan in Late November.

F6B1911
11-25-2015, 07:06 AM
If your going south this time of year a snow tire is a must have item when leaving Detroit, Michigan in Late November.

It's above 50-degrees today, even warmer tomorrow, all the snow has melted, might even get a ride in before the football game starts.
Is it possible for the Lions to win 3 in a row??

But, I do have a great leather jacket, so the 50-degree weather is OK.

VStarRider
11-25-2015, 05:17 PM
It's above 50-degrees today, even warmer tomorrow, all the snow has melted, might even get a ride in before the football game starts.
Is it possible for the Lions to win 3 in a row??

But, I do have a great leather jacket, so the 50-degree weather is OK.

Great. I was sooo hoping that squirting oil in the spark plug holes WASN'T in the manual…I was disappointed with the correction noted in this thread.

How about a turkey baster? Would that work to get the oil where it needs to go?

Speaking of leather jackets, I wore one for the first time while riding in 38 F weather the other day…wow…that was warm. I normally wear my armor jacket with a fleece jacket underneath. The leather option is way better.

willtill
11-25-2015, 06:00 PM
Great. I was sooo hoping that squirting oil in the spark plug holes WASN'T in the manual…I was disappointed with the correction noted in this thread.

How about a turkey baster? Would that work to get the oil where it needs to go?

Speaking of leather jackets, I wore one for the first time while riding in 38 F weather the other day…wow…that was warm. I normally wear my armor jacket with a fleece jacket underneath. The leather option is way better.

How long do you plan to store your bike this winter? If it is just for a few months with no wild temperature swings where it is sleeping... I wouldn't worry about it.

Dealers don't oil up the cylinders on bikes while on their floor. Some sit there for many months.

Don't overthink seasonal storage.

VStarRider
11-25-2015, 06:19 PM
How long do you plan to store your bike this winter? If it is just for a few months with no wild temperature swings where it is sleeping... I wouldn't worry about it.

Dealers don't oil up the cylinders on bikes while on their floor. Some sit there for many months.

Don't overthink seasonal storage.

The bike will be in my two-car garage, which is attached to the house. In fact, the bike will be against an inside wall of the house. I am in the Rochester, NY area, so temps will get down below zero a few times and we will get up into the 40s occasionally in the winter. The garage doors are open at times, letting in the cold air (for example, when I am running the snowblower or shoveling). Hmmm. I am not sure how wild the temp swings are in there. I am guessing MOST of the time it is around 30-35 F, perhaps a little warmer considering I will have the bike next to an interior wall. There's never any moisture (sweat) on anything, which you see in buildings with poor ventilation or metal buildings. I assume that's a sign of pretty steady temps.

I am going to ride tomorrow…this is the latest I've ever gone without storing a bike…I am guessing it will be laid up starting next week through the end of March…sooooo…roughly four months. First ride this year was on April 2.

willtill
11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
The bike will be in my two-car garage, which is attached to the house. In fact, the bike will be against an inside wall of the house. I am in the Rochester, NY area, so temps will get down below zero a few times and we will get up into the 40s occasionally in the winter. The garage doors are open at times, letting in the cold air (for example, when I am running the snowblower or shoveling). Hmmm. I am not sure how wild the temp swings are in there. I am guessing MOST of the time it is around 30-35 F, perhaps a little warmer considering I will have the bike next to an interior wall. There's never any moisture (sweat) on anything, which you see in buildings with poor ventilation or metal buildings. I assume that's a sign of pretty steady temps.

I am going to ride tomorrow…this is the latest I've ever gone without storing a bike…I am guessing it will be laid up starting next week through the end of March…sooooo…roughly four months. First ride this year was on April 2.

I think you will be fine. I keep my bikes in nice Amish sheds out back; they are not insulated nor heated. But they do fine with staying on battery tender's and SeaFoam in the full gas tanks and run though the engine proper.

IMHO there is nothing special nor needy regarding the F6B engine as compared to other motorcycle engines which undergo a limited period of inactivity. All of my motorcycles; past and present have always started up with no issues after being put to a winters sleep.

114th COBRA
12-19-2015, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=willtill;102589]I think you will be fine. I keep my bikes in nice Amish sheds out back; they are not insulated nor heated. But they do fine with staying on battery tender's and SeaFoam in the full gas tanks and run though the engine proper.

willtill: I just recently got my 2015 F6B and I'm pretty much in the same area as you down here by Andrews AFB.
I'm glad that I ran across this thread. I think I'll follow your suggested procedure for when the weather really turns bad. But if there are some good dry connected days this winter, I plan to get in a few hours riding and definitely looking forward to this spring. Thanks for the info and stay safe.

ReserveBum
12-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Similar situation here. I have a vinyl shelter on a concrete pad. I do most of what was stated here except the oil in the plug. Centerstand, battery tender, rotate tire occasionally, steel wool in the pipes BUT add a yellow/red string wrapped from the pipe to the rack so after a few months you remember to take that shit out before cranking her up. Dont ask.....
I have never had issues with condensation but critters are an issue. I have a "cover" I ride onto, then pull up the sides and cinch it together to form a pouch that the bike sits in. Add some rodent deterrent and its good. Only takes an extra 10 minutes but the bike is always right here if we get a nice day to ride.

fxdl2051
12-26-2015, 03:46 AM
Had mice in the garage last year, got about 10 of the little buggers before the garage was mouse free. This year, only one so far, the traps seem to have done their job. Where is the neighbors cat when you need him?

unsub
12-26-2015, 12:50 PM

Happy Holidays and some great tips from everyone.

I'm a little late with my reply but here goes. If you decide to put anything in your tail pipes be sure to tag them out with some hi-vis tape so you don't forget they are there. Second point, if you are concerned about critters in the pipes just wrap the ends with a light cloth and rubber bands around the pipes to keep the cloth in place. If you are storing your bike in a damp place rags in the pipes could retain moisture and will remain damp which is not good for your tailpipes. Personally, I don't put anything over the pipes. I want ventilation in there over winter.

Another option is to try spreading critter ridder (http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-Critter-3141-Repellent-Granular/dp/B000F0JNHG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8) around the bike. That'll keep most animals away safely and definitely prevent bigger animals from marking their territory on your wheels and chrome.

My tip is to place a lawn chair and small table next to your bike so you can sit down with a cold drink and admire the bike when not riding it.:cheers:

opas ride
12-26-2015, 03:55 PM
Happy Holidays and some great tips from everyone.

I'm a little late with my reply but here goes. If you decide to put anything in your tail pipes be sure to tag them out with some hi-vis tape so you don't forget they are there. Second point, if you are concerned about critters in the pipes just wrap the ends with a light cloth and rubber bands around the pipes to keep the cloth in place. If you are storing your bike in a damp place rags in the pipes could retain moisture and will remain damp which is not good for your tailpipes. Personally, I don't put anything over the pipes. I want ventilation in there over winter.

Another option is to try spreading critter ridder (http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-Critter-3141-Repellent-Granular/dp/B000F0JNHG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8) around the bike. That'll keep most animals away safely and definitely prevent bigger animals from marking their territory on your wheels and chrome.

My tip is to place a lawn chair and small table next to your bike so you can sit down with a cold drink and admire the bike when not riding it.:cheers:

I am not big on putting stuff in the tail pipes either...Put a couple traps around the bike and a small lid type container with a couple ounces of Anti-Freeze on the floor under the bike...Mice/Vols like the stuff as it tastes sweet to them, but it will kill them after a few "snorts".. Don't you love winter!!!....