PDA

View Full Version : My new helmet...

Wingman
11-18-2015, 06:11 PM

My Multi-Tech felt like a cinderblock strapped to my head compared to this helmet! Shoei J-Cruise, light, quiet, and the sun visor is fantastic. I know, 3/4 helmet, not enough protection :shhh: By the looks of the fit and finish on this thing I'm sure it can take a hit, and it's the most comfortable helmet I've worn in 25 years of riding. So anyone currently looking for helmets, I give this one two thumbs up.

Steve 0080
11-18-2015, 09:27 PM
:biggthumpup:

shooter
11-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Everything I've ever owned in Shoei has been ultra comfortable. Good looking helmet.

F6bisnext
11-19-2015, 06:23 AM
I have one too. I have a multitech too. SHoei's seem to fit my big noggin'. I love the ability to see in the J-Cruise and switch out to a dark tint shied for day rides. Have to look into a changing lens so I don't have to carry two.

Old Ryder
11-19-2015, 08:53 AM
I have 3 of them in different models. Just in the last few years have a put a premium on quality head gear. The $40 half helmets were fine while riding the Harleys.

Two of my biggest disappointments were with Nolan and HJC. I loved the Nolan and the quality was out of this world, but it just would not fit the shape of my head. As much as I loved it, it was very uncomfortable to the forehead.

The HJC BT was a wonderful piece of headgear, but it was only after I wore it for a short 1/2 hour ride did I notice how heavy it was. That was behing the fairing/shield of the B which we all know is a lot of protection in itself. Sold it on eBay after 30 minutes of use.

Shoei makes a high quality helmet that offers some of the best protection in a very comfortable and lightweight fit. My only complaint is that I wish they had the ratchet style strap like the Nolan, but that is just me. I own 3 Shoeis and 4 Bells and and I wear these 95% of the time. The variations of the 5 other helmets I own mostly just sit on the shelf. I would give them away if somebody would come get them.

opas ride
11-19-2015, 12:47 PM
I also have the Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet and really prefer it over all the others I have used..I do have a HJC 3/4 helmet with no face shield that I ride with on really hot summer days and it is nice, but the noise level is far greater...A couple of minor drawbacks to the Shoei is, I cannot get my glasses under the thing no matter how I try, and with the shields down the "drone" from my Cobra pipes is a little louder...but I can live with both as I can see okay without my distance glasses, just wish I could figure out how to get them on under the Shoei..Best helmet for the money in my humble opinion.....Ride safe

Hornblower
11-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Opas--You might want to check out the Kabuto Ibuki on Revzilla. That helmet is the best I've ever owned (and I've owned many) and is so well thought out that a space is provided for glasses temple arms.

willtill
11-19-2015, 01:25 PM
I also have the Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet and really prefer it over all the others I have used..I do have a HJC 3/4 helmet with no face shield that I ride with on really hot summer days and it is nice, but the noise level is far greater...A couple of minor drawbacks to the Shoei is, I cannot get my glasses under the thing no matter how I try, and with the shields down the "drone" from my Cobra pipes is a little louder...but I can live with both as I can see okay without my distance glasses, just wish I could figure out how to get them on under the Shoei..Best helmet for the money in my humble opinion.....Ride safe

Solution = Contact lenses.

Best thing ever invented since the telescope. :yes:

SimonTemplar
11-19-2015, 03:40 PM

This Shoei has been my helmet since 1988/89. That makes it roughly 26 years old and it is still going strong and looks like new (more or less). And I still have a pile of new face shields for it on the shelf. Guess all of that has to say something about Shoei's.

Alas as along with every other helmet I owned prior to the Shoei, it never was very comfortable for me. At 2XL....the Shoei has always sat heavy on the point of my forehead. About an hour at a time was the most I could hope for without wanting to tear it off and heave it in a ditch. But, most helmets had this problem as well...and few were big enough for me.

For a long time, Shoei and Bell were the only two makers who made a size I could even get over my head. Bell was almost comfortable...but cost a LOT more. After awhile, I just gave up and tolerated the Shoei and didn't bother to shop.

I did buy a Nolan (long gone now and don't remember the model number) back about 90/91...loved the look, but it was too round for my head and suffered the same forehead troubles as the Shoei ...only moreso.

Flash forward to present day. Shoes still makes nothing larger than 2x apparently. But lots of other makers have seen the light and larger sizes are able to be had. AND.....Nolan has also seen the error of their round-headed ways and now have at least gone moderately oval in shape.

Just three days ago, I received my new Nolan N104 EVO in 3X (3XL!!!! I know!!) For the first time in my life, I have a helmet which is comfortable. It's a polycarbonate shell so it is a slight bit heavier than many. But, at 1650-1700g (slightly less than 3.7 lb) it is comfortably in the same ballpark as the rest of it's kin.....even the Kabuto Ibuki at 1770g. (.....which I would have been terribly interested if it could have been had in 3X)

But....different strokes for different folks. If it fits you well...you'll love the Shoei and it'll probably last as long or longer as mine.

Enjoy!!

....sT

Wingman
11-19-2015, 05:36 PM
As hard as it was raining today I did not get a single drop of water behind the face shield. Another plus for this helmet!

opas ride
11-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Solution = Contact lenses.

Best thing ever invented since the telescope. :yes:

I suppose they are..but I cannot wear them since after cataract surgery permanent lenses were put over my eye balls and work fine......

willtill
11-19-2015, 08:44 PM
I suppose they are..but I cannot wear them since after cataract surgery permanent lenses were put over my eye balls and work fine......

Understand that. Well... was just a suggestion.

I have encased my head with HJC's for many years... I don't have any issue with them. I do toss them after a few years and buy a new one.

I know that people follow the mantra that "how cheap is your head" but I don't buy into an expensive helmet = better protection. I mean....

...look at me. I am still alive and walking after bumping my head with HJC's.

Proof is in the pudding. :icon_wink:

Old Ryder
11-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Understand that. Well... was just a suggestion.

I have encased my head with HJC's for many years... I don't have any issue with them. I do toss them after a few years and buy a new one.

I know that people follow the mantra that "how cheap is your head" but I don't buy into an expensive helmet = better protection. I mean....

...look at me. I am still alive and walking after bumping my head with HJC's.

Proof is in the pudding. :icon_wink:

I did read a study where there is not that much difference in protection from a medium priced and very expensive helmet in the case of a crash. However, a $150 half helmet may not be as effective as a $50 3/4 or full face depending on how you fall. I do know that my next full face will be the carbon fiber Vega---they weigh less than most 3/4 lids with full face protection.

Wingman
11-20-2015, 05:41 AM
Listen...whatever anyone wants to spend on a helmet is fine with me; whether it be budget driven or just some silly principle. I've taken 2 pretty serious cowhide rides with Arai and Shoei on my head, and my head is pretty much the only thing I haven't had surgically repaired on my body at this point (although it may be a bad idea). I work with a guy that rides a Harley, I have watched him spend $$75 on a long sleeve T-Shirt, yet his helmet is a non-DOT piece of crap skull cap that wouldn't survive a fall off the coffee table. Budget I understand, but some types of reasoning I'll never understand. All that said, I'll spend some money on a helmet, and I will replace it every 5-7 years depending on how bad it stinks and how worn in and floppy it gets; the Multi-Tech lasted a little better than 5 years.

willtill
11-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Listen...whatever anyone wants to spend on a helmet is fine with me; whether it be budget driven or just some silly principle. I've taken 2 pretty serious cowhide rides with Arai and Shoei on my head, and my head is pretty much the only thing I haven't had surgically repaired on my body at this point (although it may be a bad idea). I work with a guy that rides a Harley, I have watched him spend $$75 on a long sleeve T-Shirt, yet his helmet is a non-DOT piece of crap skull cap that wouldn't survive a fall off the coffee table. Budget I understand, but some types of reasoning I'll never understand. All that said, I'll spend some money on a helmet, and I will replace it every 5-7 years depending on how bad it stinks and how worn in and floppy it gets; the Multi-Tech lasted a little better than 5 years.

A good way to keep helmets from getting stinky; is to wash your hair everyday and wear a dew rag; before donning the helmet. Greatly extends the life of the helmet innards and keeps it clean.

Old Ryder
11-20-2015, 07:22 AM
A good way to keep helmets from getting stinky; is to wash your hair everyday and wear a dew rag; before donning the helmet. Greatly extends the life of the helmet innards and keeps it clean.

Harley riders wear "dew rags"-----personally I wear a "helmet liner" :crackup:

Cycle Gear has a pretty good one but the best is a product called "Wick It" you would not believe how well it works and the fresher it keeps the helmet. On Amazon they come with a 1 year "satisfaction warranty".

willtill
11-20-2015, 07:30 AM

Harley riders wear "dew rags"-----personally I wear a "helmet liner"

Cycle Gear has a pretty good one but the best is a product called "Wick It" you would not believe how well it works and the fresher it keeps the helmet. On Amazon they come with a 1 year "satisfaction warranty".

Maybe I used the wrong term... I meant "head wraps". Are they considered the same thing as "dew rags"? Does it matter? :icon_lol:

wjduke
11-20-2015, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=willtill;102183]A good way to keep helmets from getting stinky; is to wash your hair everyday and wear a dew rag; before donning the helmet. Greatly extends the life of the helmet innards and keeps it clean.

Most liners are washable too. TMI but, I have Portuguese oily skin and need to wash a couple times a season.

Old Ryder
11-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Maybe I used the wrong term... I meant "head wraps". Are they considered the same thing as "dew rags"? Does it matter? :icon_lol:

No it does not matter. But some of us feel the need to display our intellectual donkey at times. I love showing off my wise ass quite often :clap2:

Old Ryder
11-20-2015, 08:10 AM

BTW---a funny but true story was when I bought my first Wick It was at Deals Gap quite a number of years ago. It got lost in the wash (kind of like socks do) and I went about trying to find another online. At the time I typed in the term "Doo Rag" and "Dew Rag" and all that kept popping up was all the "pirate hat type skull caps" that Harley guys use with 15 different colors of flames but all in the same design and all were thick and 100% cotton. I could not remember the product name and Google and eBay always sent me to the same place. I got so frustrated!!!!!

Then one day I was passing by a TV that was playing in the background and I overheard the announcer talking about the race drivers were putting on their "helmet liner in preparation of the race"---so I went home and typed in "helmet liner" and THERE THEY WERE!!!! Since then I use the term helmet liner. But it does seem like in the interest of making sure you get every option out there, Google and eBay will now display a bunch of different items for either terminology so they don't miss out on a sale.

BTW---in an effort to be sure I am never caught without one, I now have 3 Wick Its in different colors--- to go along with the 1 from Cycle Gear and the Shampa and Hugger that I bought while I was searching for the Wick It. (I guess my Obsessive Complusive Disorder is on full display here. Sorry :icon_doh:) BTW---what was this thread about?

CPTAwesome
11-20-2015, 08:28 PM
No it does not matter. But some of us feel the need to display our intellectual donkey at times. I love showing off my wise ass quite often :clap2:

Well then look at this donkey.....A do-rag (also spelled variously as a doo-rag, dew-rag, du-rag or durag), is a piece of cloth used to cover the top of one's head. Sometimes made of nylon material and having a "skullcap" fit it may also be referred to as a "wavecap". According to the Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster dictionary, the term derives from 'do as in hairdo. (Who let this Awesome guy in here.....sheesh) :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot: