PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Zumo

MichaelG
08-13-2013, 07:26 PM
I had to send my 2006 Garmin Zumo 550 back in to Garmin, to be replaced for a re-conditioned unit, of the same model. I have had one for a LOT of miels during the past almost 8 years, and only recently on a return trip to and from Tennessee did it start acting up on me. I went through all the software upgrades online, called in and went through all the tech walk-abouts...and finally decided that this unit needed to be re-conditioned by Garmin.

They have a program wherein you can send them your unit, and for a charge of $ 150.00, they will either re-condition YOUR unit, or...send you one just like yours that has already been re-conditioned. I finally got it back today, and it is a replacement unit, same Zumo 550, but a re-conditioned one, and it works great. I really like having a new screen face on this one, as mine was worn from all the touching.

In the end, they only charged me $ 100.00 + tax, so I did better than normal. It helps to be...abnormal:icon_mrgreen:

Yes, they do also have another program that allows you to "upgrade from your current unit, to a newer model, like...from this 550 to a 665. BUT...anyone that is closely familiar with the Zumo line knows that the 550's are in high demand, even used, and fetch more dollars as a used unit than a new 665. I chose to stick with my Zumo 550.

Steve 0080
08-13-2013, 07:40 PM
I just bought a Garmin 350LM unit...works very well...made to go wireless and bluetooth to your helmet via a head set....jury is still out on this model....my I Phone 5 and the Zumo are arguing with my Scala Rider G-4....only one is allowed " on " at a time...don't really like that it may be nice to change to another model.....according to Garmin this unit it there latest and greatest??? Any thoughts ???

MichaelG
08-13-2013, 11:47 PM
I just bought a Garmin 350LM unit...works very well...made to go wireless and bluetooth to your helmet via a head set....jury is still out on this model....my I Phone 5 and the Zumo are arguing with my Scala Rider G-4....only one is allowed " on " at a time...don't really like that it may be nice to change to another model.....according to Garmin this unit it there latest and greatest??? Any thoughts ???

Any thoughts....heck yes.

Contact Jeff at Sierra Electronics, and talk to him about the GL-1800 Intercom interface harness. I have one mounted on my bike, because it allows me to listen to my Valentine One radar detector through BOTH speakers in my helmet. This Intercom Interface harness ONLY works with the Intercom unit of the bike...via a helmet headset. What it will do is allow you to have your GPS unit ON...and if any voice instructions comes from the GPS, they will interrupt any other music or I-phone voices, and you will hear the priority of the GPS, coming through as if it were a passenger talking over the bikes Intercom.

The Intercom Interface harness is very low cost, like under $ 50.00, and it is all plug n' play.

And...re: the Zumo 350LM, it is the newest, and little brother to the previous Zumo 550. Looks the same, and works the same. It is a very good unit.

unsub
08-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Yes, they do also have another program that allows you to "upgrade from your current unit, to a newer model, like...from this 550 to a 665. BUT...anyone that is closely familiar with the Zumo line knows that the 550's are in high demand, even used, and fetch more dollars as a used unit than a new 665. I chose to stick with my Zumo 550.

I'm closely familiar with the Zumo line. I've used a 660 for 2 years with both a bike and a car mount, without any problems at all. Yes the 550 is in demand but it's all hipster/adventure rider hype :icon_lol:

Hey with a back up road atlas even a basic/cheapo Garmin or TomTom, or Magellan (and others) will do just fine. But I'm glad Garmin treated you well. That isn't always the case.

MichaelG
08-14-2013, 08:21 AM
Yes the 550 is in demand but it's all hipster/adventure rider hype :icon_lol:

I must be the adventure rider type, because I am certainly NOT the hipster type. Let's see....I did ride my 2012 Super Tenere' down to Bolivia/Chile in January of this year, and rode it to Happy Valley/Goose Bay in Sept. last year. I guess that makes me an adventure type.:icon_mrgreen:

unsub
08-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I must be the adventure rider type, because I am certainly NOT the hipster type. Let's see....I did ride my 2012 Super Tenere' down to Bolivia/Chile in January of this year, and rode it to Happy Valley/Goose Bay in Sept. last year. I guess that mkes me an adventure type.:icon_mrgreen:

We'll definitely have to get together and compare old worn out road maps one day.:icon_lol:

yellow rex
08-17-2013, 12:00 AM
If you go to the zumo forum you can fix it for 17- 25 dollars
I have replace my screen and the wife but before I found out
about this I sent one in to garmin as well its pretty easy to replace
but now whey have 660 but still have the 550 setting around.

MichaelG
08-17-2013, 12:19 AM
If you go to the zumo forum you can fix it for 17- 25 dollars
I have replace my screen and the wife but before I found out
about this I sent one in to garmin as well its pretty easy to replace
but now whey have 660 but still have the 550 setting around.

Cool, you were able to replace the screen...and the WIFE. All that for $ 17 - $ 25.

WOW !:shock:

yellow rex
08-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Just google zumo screen replace it was big talk on another GW forum
and then look at images and you will see the photo on how to replace
I think the screen on the 660 wash out in the sun worst than the 550,
some time I have to pair my phone more than once on the 660, on the 550 paired it once
in 5 years, the screen comes from hong kong takes a week but they say
17 days.

MichaelG
08-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Just google zumo screen replace it was big talk on another GW forum
and then look at images and you will see the photo on how to replace
I think the screen on the 660 wash out in the sun worst than the 550,
some time I have to pair my phone more than once on the 660, on the 550 paired it once
in 5 years, the screen comes from hong kong takes a week but they say
17 days.

I do believe that you missed the jest of my post, wherein I copied that you said you could replace the SCREEN...and the WIFE...for $ 17 to $ 25. :icon_lol:

ghostrider
08-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Did the wife come from Hong Kong too!!!! I like Asian women. :icon_biggrin:

Steve 0080
08-17-2013, 09:02 AM
I did call Garmin about the 350LM...there was a upgrade in software that I was able to upload but the basic function remains the same. If they had a fix so the I Phone and 350 were compatible I would be happy but apparently that will not be happening... I ready don't care about a phone so really no big deal...but if I could product trade and get most of my money back I would change to the 665...

Asian women are ok but way to much drama!!!

yellow rex
08-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Hahaha! leaving words out can get me in trouble, I meant to
say replace her 550 screen.