PDA

View Full Version : Why is this so difficult ???

yellow rex
11-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Every time I purchase a helmet it is a nightmare, I do not care about the price the fit is a Hell of a challenge.
I have to trim the cheek pads, I usually buy a spare set in case I make a mistake, I wear a XL size.

What about your Experience???

shooter
11-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Been using Shoei my whole life. They fit me great. Not cheap but good.

yellow rex
11-21-2015, 09:48 AM
I have a Shoei Quest passage wore it once it gave me a earache, I have other Shoei that never gave me troubles.
I am wearing a Bell and a HJC at this time, no issues, now head set packets is another problem on some helmets.

wjduke
11-21-2015, 09:51 AM
My last was an HJC x/l....I went to a Shoie this time...Medium! It's tight, but they said the pads will flatten and fit better. I believe in fitting, not online for this stuff.

Audiochris90
11-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Hey,
Ive got a Xtra large Shoei Neotec I've been meaning to sell on craigs. Its wine red and used for one season. I realized it was just a little too big after break in. You can get different cheek pad sizes and bonnets sizes for this. A few scrapes but in good condition w/ box , helmet bag , pin lock. Come get it next time your in the city, try it for a few months, make me an offer if it suits you.

Cobraguy
11-21-2015, 09:59 AM
I have a big round Charlie Brown head XXXL I have a hell of a time even finding big enough helmets to try on. My current helmets are 3 HJCs, 2 mods 1 fullface, and 1 Aria fullface. The Aria needed some trimming and carving. The HJCs were good out of the box.

willtill
11-21-2015, 10:22 AM
A helmet should fit your head snugly; and they will break in a little bit with repeated wear.

many people buy a helmet one size too large; thinking it fits them better because it is more comfortable.

For years, I had always purchased a XL helmet; only to find out one day that I should have been wearing a Large all of that time.

Airborne06
11-21-2015, 04:11 PM
I feel your pain. I swear I must currently have 20 helmets....full-face, modulars, Harley half and quarter helmets, etc. The absolutely best fitting helmet I have ever owned is an Arai Quantum II. Unfortunately, Arai discontinued that helmet line. I wear Shoei RF 1100 and 1200 helmets....pretty good fit but I have to get thinner cheek pads than those that come with those helmets (33mm). I have a Lazer carbon fiber that is pretty comfy too. I can't wear an HJC or Scorpion. Just can't get them to fit correctly with my round head shape...too many hot spots and pressure points.

Kdarmy
11-21-2015, 04:34 PM
You think you have problems!...

I wear a HJC 5XL...why? because its the only one I could find that fits my apparently huge noggin. And even then, HJC offers 5XL in only a few models.

I have stopped at every place I pass just to try on helmets of all kinds, and so far the HJC 5XL is my ONLY choice for now.:banghead:

DMAGOLDRDR
11-21-2015, 05:58 PM
I am on a mailing list for a company I have purchased Gear from in the past. Last month I was sent info on Lid Picker to help with Helmet purchases. I do not need a new Helmet so I have not looked into it, but it may be worth a look for you. www.lidpicker.com

Steve 0080
11-21-2015, 06:03 PM
You need to find the brand that fits and not change brands...they are all different by brand !

Old Ryder
11-21-2015, 06:41 PM
You need to find the brand that fits and not change brands...they are all different by brand !

Very true statement! I am a bit of a cone head guy, and depending on brand I have everything from Small half helmets to large modular. Got to try them on for sure.

F6bisnext
11-22-2015, 07:31 AM
I have had very similar trouble finding a helmet that is comfortable to wear. I can't tell you how many felt good, until I wore them an hour and then wound up giving them away.

I have found that Shoei fits me best, however, within Shoei the shapes can vary also. I am tempted to try the lid picker service too.

There is a page on webbikeworld which shows the various shapes by manufacturer. You can find the helmet that fits you and then look for a similar shape profile. Here's the link:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

They don't sell helmets, they just review. Great sight for info on lots of motorcycle related stuff.

Big Cat
11-22-2015, 08:16 AM
I have had very similar trouble finding a helmet that is comfortable to wear. I can't tell you how many felt good, until I wore them an hour and then wound up giving them away.

I have found that Shoei fits me best, however, within Shoei the shapes can vary also. I am tempted to try the lid picker service too.

There is a page on webbikeworld which shows the various shapes by manufacturer. You can find the helmet that fits you and then look for a similar shape profile. Here's the link:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

They don't sell helmets, they just review. Great sight for info on lots of motorcycle related stuff.

:agree: webbikeworld is a great place to research almost any motorcycle gear first. Once you have determined your individual head shape and size, it narrows the playing field...then I have found Revzilla's free return policy to be very helpful.

Wing'n it
11-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Helmets are like seats, everybody will require something different. For me I have a Bell "Pitboss" half helmet that I have owned for years and absolutely love the fit and comfort of it. Now full face helmets are a complete nightmare, I can never find one that don't put pressure on my forehead crown and cause pain and splitting headaches after an hour or so. I have tried almost all brands with Nolan being the worst and Shoei being real good but they all do it to varying degrees so I keep going back to my trusty Bell.

yellow rex
11-22-2015, 09:09 AM
I was just on a Bell web sight and some time next year they will have a electronic machine that will measure your head for a perfect
fit custom helmet the cost of the helmet will be lowered the service adds $350 dollars to the cost of the helmet 6-8 weeks for delivery.

BigAl1952
11-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Shoei Neotech I have a big head with nothing in it but this helmet fits great and is the best helmet I have ever worn. Al

Lumberman
11-23-2015, 09:34 AM
I too have a hard time finding a helmet that fits. It seems like a helmet that the dealer says fits me is always too tight and has certain pressure points that give me headaches.
I usually buy a XXL , but after a while it is too roomy, and slides around a lot. So I bought a XL, which I fought was too tight. So I put a soccer ball in it and inflated it and left it there for about a week or two. Now it fits like a glove. No pressure points, No headaches.

Fla_rider
11-23-2015, 09:40 AM
Here is a question I have pondered for about 10 years now. Why do only full face helmets get the cool graphics?

No Handle Sam
11-23-2015, 10:49 AM
The last few full face helmets that I've purchased have come from CycleGear. They usually have a good selection, but the bigger deal is that they have a great return policy. (one of the few vendors that I know of who offer such a thing) Usually once you walk out of the store with a helmet it's yours no matter what. These guys have (at least I assume they still do this?) a 30 day return policy. Buy it, try it… if you don't like it bring it back and try another one. They won't refund your money, but I always thought it was a great way to get one that works for you.

Hdnvn
11-24-2015, 10:22 PM
I have a fairly large head and use a Seer. I could sleep in it. Very comfortable. Quite often when we stop as a group I'm the only one that just keeps the helmet on at times, forget to take it off! They're not cheap though, popular with motor cops as well

Bob Penn
11-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Anytime you force a square peg in a round hole there will be pain!!

Here in PA helmets are not required. Unfortunately, the surrounding states do require them causing hours of pain and prayer for the border line.

It ain't easy being a square on a round world.

Sorry for the diversion but helmets are a sore spot in my world.

GaTeach
11-29-2015, 03:12 PM
helmets suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Let's all move to Florida or South Carolina.

willtill
11-29-2015, 04:35 PM
helmets suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Let's all move to Florida or South Carolina.

I am all for freedom of choice regarding that sentiment. I personally; would feel very vulnerable without one.

Had a kid acting stupid several years ago on a rice rocket; late at night while I was lying in my bed at home. He was zooming up and down the street constantly. Then I heard his bike crash right in front of my house.

Got outta bed and threw on my jeans; ran outside and there was this young kid laying face down in the gutter in front of my house; bike was in pieces beyond him down the street; and his helmet was also in the debris field. The chinstrap was not fastened and it ripped off of his head when he impacted into the asphalt.

Big pool of blood around his head in the gutter... he was still alive when I got to him and he was trying to get up. And then he died as I was talking to him and trying to get him to stay still until the ambulance/fire arrived.

You make your choices. That is what defines the longevity of your life.

Wing'n it
11-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Like seat belts! They suck too! It should be a choice, now I do wear a helmet but not always but only wear a seat belt when I think someone's looking, seen too many people burn up hanging upside down in crashed cars when my dad was running fire dept.