PDA

View Full Version : How tight should your helmet fit.

Greg O
11-25-2015, 02:16 PM
I just purchased a Shoei Multitech in medium. I have a small head, but this helmet feels extremely snug, not uncomfortable but kinda hard to get on. Did I buy the wrong size?

stroguy
11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
My forehead let's me know after an hour.

Sorcerer
11-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Do the TV test. Put on your helmit and watch a couple of shows. A after market dealer I know calls it the cowch test. You will know in an hour.

wjduke
11-25-2015, 03:22 PM
I bought a shoei and it seemed too tight...was told it should be that way, the pads will flatten a bit. This was at Cycle Gear. The guy acted like he knew about it. I'm still with it and while riding, I'm so damn happy, I don't think about it!

Jayrock
11-25-2015, 04:01 PM
I bought a shoei and it seemed too tight...was told it should be that way, the pads will flatten a bit. This was at Cycle Gear. The guy acted like he knew about it. I'm still with it and while riding, I'm so damn happy, I don't think about it!

+1

opas ride
11-25-2015, 04:48 PM
+1

At first my Shoei felt like it was way too tight...After a full riding season it is the nicest fitting and quietest helmet I have owned.....Video from Revzilla said it should fit fairly tight, but not so much that it is uncomfortable after an hour or so.....

SoCal Rich
11-25-2015, 05:44 PM
I just got fitted at the Long Beach motorcycle show by a Shoei technnician and learned that I had been wearing an improperly chosen Helmut size - my medium Bell RS-1. It was so tight from front to back that I was getting headaches when I was riding. He fitted me for a large using front to back, side to side and circumference measurements. He stressed that it should be snug but cannot be too tight in the front. If the larger size causes it to be a little bit roomy on the sides, he said he would install inserts on the sides to snug it up.

The Neotech is so much more comfortable, hopefully no more headaches! I hope this is helpful.

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Comfortably snug, same with strap.
If you can monkey with your rag or mop, it's too loose.

I don't know... I own dozens and I just buy what feels good on my melon.
Bought Speed and Strength brand for the latest. They have some adjustments and seem to fit well.
J

Steve 0080
11-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Yup, snug, should not be able to move/rotate the helmet.... I have owned Many!!!!!! It all comes down to the size and shape of your punkin... there is a break in period so it should/may be a bit snug when new and after a few long rides it should become comfortable...

SoCal Rich
11-25-2015, 07:52 PM
So, Greg, to more directly answer your question. ..the Multitech is a modular, correct? And you put it on with it opened, correct? So, if it's hard to put on, and we're not just talking about tight cheek pads, I would guess you might need the next size up.

airheaded
11-25-2015, 08:25 PM
I just purchased a Shoei Multitech in medium. I have a small head, but this helmet feels extremely snug, not uncomfortable but kinda hard to get on. Did I buy the wrong size?

when you buy an Arai, they ask u to open your mouth wide and slowly close it and if its too tight you will bite your cheek as you are closing your mouth, thats always worked pretty well, also they ALL loosen up over time, I have a Neotech and I'm sure you can replace the cheek pads if you have to.

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-25-2015, 08:28 PM
So, Greg, to more directly answer your question. ..the Multitech is a modular, correct? And you put it on with it opened, correct? So, if it's hard to put on, and we're not just talking about tight cheek pads, I would guess you might need the next size up.

Some common sense should prevail..
If it it hurts to put on or makes you bleed, is it really worth a full thread and replies.
The generation buying these bikes is young and doesn't need someone to tell them their nuts hurt.

Greg O
11-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Some common sense should prevail..
If it it hurts to put on or makes you bleed, is it really worth a full thread and replies.
The generation buying these bikes is young and doesn't need someone to tell them their nuts hurt.

I live in Illinois and we do not have a helmet law. Never wore them when riding my Harleys the past 20 years:yikes:. Last time I had a helmet on was back when I was 15 riding my dirt bikes. I am 55 now and want to ride when it's cooler out, so I want a proper fitting helmet.

willtill
11-26-2015, 06:02 AM
I live in Illinois and we do not have a helmet law. Never wore them when riding my Harleys the past 20 years:yikes:. Last time I had a helmet on was back when I was 15 riding my dirt bikes. I am 55 now and want to ride when it's cooler out, so I want a proper fitting helmet.

Measuring the circumference of your head with a flexible (cloth) tape measure and comparing the result against a helmet manufacturer's size chart; will put you in the ballpark for a recommended size.

Did you do that; before purchasing the helmet?

Greg O
11-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Measuring the circumference of your head with a flexible (cloth) tape measure and comparing the result against a helmet manufacturer's size chart; will put you in the ballpark for a recommended size.

Did you do that; before purchasing the helmet?

No I didn't. I have a small bean, I have always wore hats between the large size of small to the small size of medium if that makes sense. In other words between small and medium.

SimonTemplar
11-27-2015, 02:17 AM
.http://www.lidpicker.com

I've no affiliation with this site...and I have never used it for anything other than idle browsing and amusement.

Let us know how it works for you.

....sT

shooter
11-27-2015, 01:14 PM
I gotta tell ya it takes a summer season of heat and sweat to get one comfortable. In the summer after 3 or 4 rides the helmet will be broke in. Doesn't mean it has to be filthy. Shoei's have washable interiors. I have an extra interior for my helmets. That way I always have a clean inside after a hot day. I also have two helmets exactly alike so I can alternate. Lots of heat and humidity in Missouri.

oldman
11-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Its worth going to a large shop with a big selection, or to a motorcycle rally or show where helmet dealers have their goods on display. Then you can try on various sizes and pick the right one. Its not only the size but the shape than counts. Most people's heads are slightly oval in shape, and many helmets are made for this shape. But if you have a round head, then you need to get a helmet designed for that shape of head. Personally I recommend that a new helmet properly fitted should be snug without being tight. If you take it off after wearing it for 10 minutes or so, and have red "pressure" marks on your forehead or check or chin then you have too small a size. With the helmet on your head, try to slide the helmet back and forth, holding your head stationary. If you can do so without your scalp moving, then the helmet is too large for you.

Also, remember that helmets that are worn when you hit the ground need to be replaced, even if the helmet appears to be fine. The interior material may be compressed and not able to continue to provide you with real protection. And while generally you get what you pay for, I have not found a significant difference in quality between major helmet brands. My $200 HJC fits me just as well as my $500 Shoei and seems to be just as well made and just as protective. That said, any helmet that is less than a couple of hundred should be suspect and probably avoided.