PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed

2015F6B
11-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Don't know if any others have purchased this Show Chrome wide foot side stand but I for one am really unhappy / dissatisfied with it. The picture only tells half the story. First, while installing, I found out that the pivot slot on this stand is more than .030" wider than the pivot slot on the OEM Honda stand and was such a sloppy fit that I had to fabricate and install a .027" hardened shim (that's all I had on hand) just to take out the slop. Doesn't sound like much but was really a loose fit.

Secondly, take a look at the picture. It appears that the foot of the stand is 90 degrees to the shaft, which would be ok if the stand was perpendicular to the ground, but it's not. I'd estimate the stand to be 190 to 195 degrees when in the down position, and as a result only the trailing edge of the foot sits on the ground. The foot should have an angled offset to the shaft probably 10 to 15 degrees to sit level on the ground. I'm one of those who does not always park on a paved surface so a wider, more supportive foot appealed to me. I will now look for a less expensive alternative and this piece of #5d$^54 will go in the trash. Unfortunately, this is the second Show Chrome product I've purchased and have had to modify both. Would I recommend Show Chrome products, a resounding NO! I don't see them on the supporting vendor list, but if they are, too bad. Build a better product and you won't get reviews like this. :no:

PS. I make these comments after a career as a mechanical engineer. I know from experience that it's just as easy to engineer something correctly as to engineer something incorrectly.

Steve 0080
11-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Have you contacted Show Chrome ? That would be your first stop.

bob109
11-27-2015, 04:00 PM
As a Mechanical Engineer you shouldn't have a problem concocting a larger side stand pad for your OEM Stand! Attaching the cure for your problem! Simple but effective, all the details are included! Hope this helps you out:039:

bob109

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?344-Home-Brewed-Side-stand-Pad

F6B1911
11-27-2015, 04:17 PM
As a Mechanical Engineer you shouldn't have a problem concocting a larger side stand pad for your OEM Stand! Attaching the cure for your problem! Simple but effective, all the details are included! Hope this helps you out:039:bob109

Ahhhh.... but that's not the point is it?
Why wasn't the product manufactured to the correct tolerances?

2015F6B
11-27-2015, 04:19 PM

You got that right . . .

2015F6B
11-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Have you contacted Show Chrome ? That would be your first stop.

Steve, no I haven't contacted Show Chrome. They know exactly what they're selling. Only goes to show the almighty dollar is all that matters.

Steve 0080
11-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Steve, no I haven't contacted Show Chrome. They know exactly what they're selling. Only goes to show the almighty dollar is all that matters.

True, but while complaining to us may make you feel better in the short term, contacting the business and letting them know they have an item that was not made correctly may/will help all future buyers have a better product. Then if they fail to take care of you, then come onto the board and try to save someone else money and time...

Bruce B
11-27-2015, 04:48 PM
I installed the Rivco Sidestand Pad shortly after I got my F6B in 2013. It's a perfect fit, installs with a single set screw, and with a drop of blue LocTite on the set screw, has been solid as a rock ever since. The footprint is large enough to do the job, yet it remains unobtrusive. At only $29.95, I'd recommend it.

2015F6B
11-27-2015, 04:50 PM
True, but while complaining to us may make you feel better in the short term, contacting the business and letting them know they have an item that was not made correctly may/we help all future buyers have a better product. Then if they fail to take care of you, then come onto the board and try to save someone else money and time...

Gee, wasn't aware I "was complaining" to anybody. Just stating what I ran into with a product that was IMHO poorly engineered. Take it for what it's worth.

2015F6B
11-27-2015, 04:50 PM
I installed the Rivco Sidestand Pad shortly after I got my F6B in 2013. It's a perfect fit, installs with a single set screw, and with a drop of blue LocTite on the set screw, has been solid as a rock ever since. The footprint is large enough to do the job, yet it remains unobtrusive. At only $29.95, I'd recommend it.

Saw that online, that's my next step.

edgeman55
11-27-2015, 05:39 PM

+1 this pad works great.Been on my 2013 since new.

ths61
11-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the pad info. Didn't know that such products existed other than the throw down types.

http://rivcoproducts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/960x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/r/u/russ_f6b_044_gl18013_3qrtr_bw.jpg

bob109
11-27-2015, 06:20 PM

Only in God I Trust! Everyone else pays cash! There's more than enough "Manufactured Products" which don't fit the bill! Personal experiences give me the incentive to be creative and continually look for the better mouse trap. Spending top dollars for what amounts to be garbage/trash make no sense. There is a assumption, by most, that a "after market manufactured part" will do the job when in fact it winds up on a garage shelf unused and unwanted after hard earned bucks are spent! I'll take "Home Brewed Parts" over $hit aftermarket parts any day and that is the point:icon_wink: Building/fabricating parts that will fit and last, is not only gratifying but worth the effort and experience IMHO:039:

shooter
11-27-2015, 06:28 PM
I've got the Kury oversize stand and no problems. It functions good , fits good and looks good.

seadog
11-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Wingstuff also has a bigger footprint side stand for the F6B and its a chrome piece!

shooter
11-27-2015, 10:23 PM
I think that's a Kury piece Dog. I think I got mine from Wingstuff.

1951vbs
11-28-2015, 10:05 AM
For the few times I park on a soft surface I just keep one of the "free" throw down pucks in the left cubby. Grab it when needed, throw it down and place stand.

willtill
11-28-2015, 10:34 AM
For the few times I park on a soft surface I just keep one of the "free" throw down pucks in the left cubby. Grab it when needed, throw it down and place stand.

Same here.

Hornblower
11-28-2015, 11:11 AM
I would throw out a "caution" to any aggressive riders who have an interest in adding a sidestand pad. Any of the ones I've seen that add width to the leading edge (that's pretty much all of them) will seriously drag in the corners. While the Rivco pad I experimented with was beautifully made and a quality piece, it severely impinged on cornering clearance. Even after grinding off much of the leading edge, it was still a problem and had to be removed. Of course, if you're not an aggressive rider, maybe it's not so much of an issue :shrug:

shooter
11-28-2015, 12:29 PM
Yeah Ken , so far my side stand with the oversize foot doesn't drag. I've tried , but no luck.

Willl
11-28-2015, 03:11 PM
+1

I just think Ken is blowing his own horn again :icon_laugh::icon_laugh:

Steve 0080
11-28-2015, 03:13 PM
:lolup::lolup::lolup::lolup::clap2:

JetBlackWing
11-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Don't know if any others have purchased this Show Chrome wide foot side stand but I for one am really unhappy / dissatisfied with it. The picture only tells half the story. First, while installing, I found out that the pivot slot on this stand is more than .030" wider than the pivot slot on the OEM Honda stand and was such a sloppy fit that I had to fabricate and install a .027" hardened shim (that's all I had on hand) just to take out the slop. Doesn't sound like much but was really a loose fit.

Secondly, take a look at the picture. It appears that the foot of the stand is 90 degrees to the shaft, which would be ok if the stand was perpendicular to the ground, but it's not. I'd estimate the stand to be 190 to 195 degrees when in the down position, and as a result only the trailing edge of the foot sits on the ground. The foot should have an angled offset to the shaft probably 10 to 15 degrees to sit level on the ground. I'm one of those who does not always park on a paved surface so a wider, more supportive foot appealed to me. I will now look for a less expensive alternative and this piece of #5d$^54 will go in the trash. Unfortunately, this is the second Show Chrome product I've purchased and have had to modify both. Would I recommend Show Chrome products, a resounding NO! I don't see them on the supporting vendor list, but if they are, too bad. Build a better product and you won't get reviews like this. :no:

PS. I make these comments after a career as a mechanical engineer. I know from experience that it's just as easy to engineer something correctly as to engineer something incorrectly.

Makes you wonder how this makes it through the quality control (?). Thanks for letting us know as soon as you could.