PDA

View Full Version : My New '15 Deluxe.....What A Pain In The Ass!!!

SimonTemplar
11-30-2015, 02:43 AM
OK....I've had my 2015 Deluxe for about three weeks now. Due to the weather, however, I've only had opportunity to put about 400 miles on her. Can't think of one thing to complain about....EXCEPT THAT DAMNED OEM SEAT!!!! :moon::moon::moon:

It's great for about 30 minutes...then I get a HUGE pain in my tailbone. After a few minutes more, it's nearly unbearable! I've never ever run across this on any other bike I've ever owned ( ...and back in the 70's, I rode a Yamaha 350 roundtrip coast-to-coast...TWICE! ) I mean, I've rode a few really uncomfortable seats in my time, but nothing like the pain I'm having now. I hate to whine, but it really is killing me.

Has anyone else has this specific problem with the OEM seat? What seat will fix this? I don't really want a shorter seat....I'm 6'3 and actually wish it sat taller. Just something that won't catch my coccyx the way this one does.

....sT

wjduke
11-30-2015, 05:25 AM
Looks like you'll have to shell out a few bucks for an aftermarket one. Mine seems fine for me. I'm not as tall though, and coming off an M109, that's not hard to say. Seats are like tires and windshields. Get ready for mucho opinions.

F6B1911
11-30-2015, 05:30 AM
I rode a BMW R80, the seat was terrible, I fixed it with a sheepskin cut to fit.
The F6B seat is quite a bit better, but I experienced the same this as you, went to
Costco and picked up another sheepskin, cut it to fit and now I'm a happy camper.

shooter
11-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Simon I'm with ya. Its not quite as bad for me as you describe. Not my tailbone just a numb azz after about an hour and a half. I'm gonna get an Ultimate King after the first of the year. I've sat on the offerings from Mustang and Corbin. Both sat me lower and closer to the tank. I don't need that.

yellow rex
11-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Craig Vetter the fairing manufacture made a board for motorcycle seats, call the magic board google it and read most riders had great
reports at the IBA rallies.
He tells you how to make your own, me I have no complaints about the seat I am good for 1200 miles no problem.

BARRYS770
11-30-2015, 08:22 AM
The RDL saddle is about an 1" or so taller than the stock seat and is made to your physic. I tried several different seats on my previous bike before I ended up with the RDL saddle. So, it was a no brainer to get one for the F6B.

Barry

Old Ryder
11-30-2015, 09:01 AM
For us taller guys, it is the Ultimate King Rider. However, I think you are close to Mean City Cycles in Hickory. They can tweak your OEM with some memory foam and make it bigger/smaller/taller/shorter/firmer/softer/etc.. for a bit less and keep the stock look. Great bang for the buck They have done a few of mine.

Fla_rider
11-30-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm sure when you rode your Yammy coast to coast your ass wasn't as wide or as old! The same for most of us. A lot of the members of this forum have found relief in third party seats offered by our sponsors listed on our front page. While I don't have any issues with the seat, plenty others have gone this route. I'd say it was #2 for OEM change out, right after the screen.

Willl
11-30-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm not finding the seat as uncomfortable as you Simon but in the Summer I found the seat was getting too hot so I purchased some beaded seat covers

http://wingstuff.com/products/22902-motorcycle-oversize-beaded-seat-cover?from_search=1

Helped with the heat and a side benefit of making the seat a little more comfortable ($25 vs $800)
I removed the bungees from the beaded seat and just let the beaded seat lay there, it doesn't move much

I'm 6'5", my seat of choose would be an Ultimate King

http://ultimateseats.ca/honda-motorcycle-accessories/f6b-seats

Good Luck

Wing'n it
11-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Same boat as you, hated the stock seat! Went with the Ultimate "King" seat and thought that was going to be the answer, but it was not! Got an awesome deal on a used Corbin and I drove 5+ hours to pick it up, the Corbin IS the answer, at least for me and i'm 6'4" tall. May not be your answer but the best advice I can give it to try out lots of seats before you spend the cash as they are hard to sell after the fact. If you were close i'd let you ride my Corbin for a day to see what you think.

Spanky
11-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Check out mean city cycles. Just south of hickory nc. They will customize your seat to fit your butt. They did mine and my wife's seat cheap!

Jhox
11-30-2015, 07:15 PM
I've had 9 wings and all had terrible seats. This F6 is the first stock saddle that works for me. Did 2k+ miles in 5 days with no problems.

willtill
11-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Craig Vetter the fairing manufacture made a board for motorcycle seats, call the magic board google it and read most riders had great
He tells you how to make your own, me I have no complaints about the seat I am good for 1200 miles no problem.

I just Googled Craig Vetter's "magic board". :shock:

Very Interesting. :icon_cool:

98valk
11-30-2015, 08:43 PM
I just Googled Craig Vetter's "magic board". :shock:

Very Interesting. :icon_cool:

I know it is made to be used during safe cruising, but I can't help thinking, "what if I had to put my feet down suddenly?:yikes:".

Miks
11-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I found the stock seat to be pretty comfortable, but I haven't put that 600 mile day on it yet.

For a cheap mod, try Spencers seat modification. VERY cheap, but you have to send him your seat, and he will contour it and put the high tech comfort foam used on the freaking space shuttle :shock:

http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

This guy was famous with the ST 1300 crowd, and I had him do my ST 1300. He will need a photo of you on the bike, and he makes the seat fit your riding position. When I had my ST 1300....about 1.5 hours into the ride I would squirm around and be in pain as I was downright uncomfortable. I had the modification completed, and as I say, very cheap was the modification compared to a new seat. He uses the stock seat cover, so with the exception of a contour change, you can't tell anything was done.

I took my ST 1300 for a ride...the first hour it felt the same. After a few hundred miles, it was much more tolerable, in fact, I once rode a 325 mile leg and didn't have to move around very much at all. Could have gone a little further, but the gas station was too convenient and I figured I couldn't make it home non-stop.

The downside? You have to ship it to this guy, and I purchased the round trip shipping labels, so it wasn't too bad. Quick turn around time, the guy had my seat less than two days in the shop, had it back in no time. I would expect the same for you. Don't know if he is still doing the mod, but you can e-mail him and find out. Well worth it in my opinion.

SimonTemplar
12-01-2015, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the input, guys!

My problem really is just my tailbone. Almost feels as if I'm sitting vertically on the end of it. The rest of the seat is fine...or at least feels to be fine in the 30 mins at a time I'm able to ride due to the other issue. Thought perhaps I was catching part of the bolster...but feeling around doesn't seem to bear that out. I have noticed that if I push back against the bolster I get some small short term relief.

Indeed, if I was experiencing this in ANY other incidence (car, desk chair, couch, etc) I'd be tempted to wonder about a medical situation....but, I don't. It only occurs on the '6.

I've been watching various online chatter for the Mustang, but the last thing I want is to sit lower than I already am. Have also been looking at Ultimates and RDL's.

I didn't even know about Mean City. Yep, it's close by indeed. May have to go have a chat with those guys.

The Vetter Magic Board was news to me as well. That thing looks like a serious accident just dying for a place to happen.

....sT

SimonTemplar
12-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Same boat as you, hated the stock seat! Went with the Ultimate "King" seat and thought that was going to be the answer, but it was not! Got an awesome deal on a used Corbin and I drove 5+ hours to pick it up, the Corbin IS the answer, at least for me and i'm 6'4" tall........

Wing....Most everyone else who has spoken about the Corbin complains that it is much harder than most of the others. How does that compare to yours?

.....sT

Wing'n it
12-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Wing....Most everyone else who has spoken about the Corbin complains that it is much harder than most of the others. How does that compare to yours?

.....sT

It's typical Corbin hard, what else can I say but it's the "way" that it cradles my ass that just makes it feel right. Best way I can figure it is that it is kinda like a old tractor seat, remember when those were made of steel yet the farmer could beat in the fields all day sitting on it? Must be like that, hard as a rock but just feels right. The problem I had with the Mustang and the Ultimate was not the comfort but the shape, my butt and back don't make a 90 degree bend they are rounded. I think the Russell would be the way to go since it's built "for you" but the build time was a problem, you need another seat just for them to work on.

shooter
12-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Guys I'm 6'1". Granted I weigh 290. David K a forum member put a Corbin on his and let me try it. It is probably close to an inch lower and pushes me forward at least an inch or so. I have a Corbin on my 9 and probably would have bought one for the B if not for David's generosity. Corbin on the B is not for me.

Wing'n it
12-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Guys I'm 6'1". Granted I weigh 290. David K a forum member put a Corbin on his and let me try it. It is probably close to an inch lower and pushes me forward at least an inch or so. I have a Corbin on my 9 and probably would have bought one for the B if not for David's generosity. Corbin on the B is not for me.

Could he have had it made that way? Mine does not seem any lower than stock and it moves me back which is needed for leg room. Remember that Corbin will move you where ever you feel you need to be within reason. I think there are more people trying to reach the ground than people trying to be farther away from it. I can touch flat footed with room to spare on my F6 so higher up would benefit me but then the windshield height becomes the next factor to deal with.

Ultimate Seats
12-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Good morning ST-
Just a note on our seats- we offer a 14-day extended test ride on our seats. We want to make sure you are satisfied, and don't want to add to your seat collection if we aren't the proper fit for you. You can check what we have to offer at the link below, or give us a call at 877-672-0288.

http://ultimateseats.ca/honda-motorcycle-accessories/f6b-seats

Best,

Dave

shooter
12-02-2015, 04:53 PM

That thing should be illegal in 51 states. Sorry but if that's what you need to make you comfortable on your bike then you don't need to be riding.

shooter
12-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Could he have had it made that way? Mine does not seem any lower than stock and it moves me back which is needed for leg room. Remember that Corbin will move you where ever you feel you need to be within reason. I think there are more people trying to reach the ground than people trying to be farther away from it. I can touch flat footed with room to spare on my F6 so higher up would benefit me but then the windshield height becomes the next factor to deal with.

I asked David that question , he said no. However during the ordering conversation I'm sure he mentioned his problem. That's not to say that Corbin didn't take it upon themselves to help him solve a problem. Since Corbin won't let you take a test ride , I can't take that chance. Based on my research I think the Ultimate King is right for me.

Lerch
12-04-2015, 08:54 PM
OK....I've had my 2015 Deluxe for about three weeks now. Due to the weather, however, I've only had opportunity to put about 400 miles on her. Can't think of one thing to complain about....EXCEPT THAT DAMNED OEM SEAT!!!! :moon::moon::moon:

It's great for about 30 minutes...then I get a HUGE pain in my tailbone. After a few minutes more, it's nearly unbearable! I've never ever run across this on any other bike I've ever owned ( ...and back in the 70's, I rode a Yamaha 350 roundtrip coast-to-coast...TWICE! ) I mean, I've rode a few really uncomfortable seats in my time, but nothing like the pain I'm having now. I hate to whine, but it really is killing me.

Has anyone else has this specific problem with the OEM seat? What seat will fix this? I don't really want a shorter seat....I'm 6'3 and actually wish it sat taller. Just something that won't catch my coccyx the way this one does.

....sT

I have a similar problem with tailbone sensitivity due to a bad ice skating fall decades ago. Anyhow, I bought a slightly used 2014 Deluxe and it came with a Mustang seat. Mustang sits 1" lower than stock - not good.
I made a custom but simple seat pad using a Memory Foam pad with a semi rigid pad underneath to make it stable. I made a cover from a large thick black towel. Towel absorbs sweat. Foam absorbs shock and memory foam is good. The advantage in the Pad Module that I made is that it's made for my height and I can move it around on the seat. I slide it back to change my back position for a change in seating. Then I slide it forward a bit to create a void for my tailbone - no pressure at all. And I still get the advantage of the back rest portion of the Mustang seat. One more advantage - the Mustang is not sealed against water leaks and the seat pad keeps my butt dry after a rain.

fxdl2051
12-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Guess I'm lucky, most comfortable seat I've sat on, it's the Lazy Boy of stock saddles. Leastwise for my tush.

Hdnvn
12-05-2015, 07:03 AM
I have an Electraglide with a stock street glide seat on it and the stock seat on my 13 F...both feel great to me.

Jimmytee
12-05-2015, 07:18 AM
The stock seat didn't last long on my bike. I don't remember it being particularly uncomfortable. I did find the wide squared off edges a bit uncomfortable when it came to stops and putting my feet down. My main reason for switching seats was I wanted a rider backrest. Also , I liked the looks of the alternative seats available. I got a deal on the Dual Tour Corbin seat with both passenger and rider backrests. Mine had been reupholstered in a black velour. I've been very happy with it really. Plus while the seat is wide, which fits my wide butt, the area where I put my legs down at stops no longer has those sharp squared off corners that the OEM seat had.

4bobo
12-08-2015, 08:28 PM
RDL custom builds each seat using a stock pan.

I am 6'7" 255# with a 34 inseam and they made my seat 3 inches taller and moved it back 4 inches.

Best money I have ever spent.

Big Larry is the expert on this board about RDL.

Doug44
12-09-2015, 12:46 PM

....sT

I would try an Airhawk it was a game changer for me with the stock seat.

1surebet
12-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Same boat as you, hated the stock seat! Went with the Ultimate "King" seat and thought that was going to be the answer, but it was not! Got an awesome deal on a used Corbin and I drove 5+ hours to pick it up, the Corbin IS the answer, at least for me and i'm 6'4" tall. May not be your answer but the best advice I can give it to try out lots of seats before you spend the cash as they are hard to sell after the fact. If you were close i'd let you ride my Corbin for a day to see what you think.

I've been buying Corbin for a long time..Always for H-D's. Always great, except for the ugly tag.

The tag bothers some so much they buy a different seat! I've had a couple MC shops.

This Corbin seat looks great and sized fit your bike. My slightly used F6B came with a new Mustang seat.
At one time, they were considered the budget seat - however, the back support and looks work for me and I get many positive comments. I've put maybe 7k since I've bought it and I've never had a bad thought about it. - I have other rides also. That said, I like yours better.

Stevvvo
12-15-2015, 07:22 PM
I have to chime in since I too have had many seats on different bikes and I have to say that the Corbin....if your patient enough to get it broken in.....is the way to go IMO. It feels hard compared to others but it does form to the contours of your ARSE. Just takes a little time. But once it does.....it gets comfy. No pressure points, which is what causes the discomfort with soft seats...

yardart
12-16-2015, 06:50 AM
I tried the AirHawk first, then got the beaded seat cover, also Rocky riser's helped the posture in the saddle