PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty purchase

grendl
11-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Hey Guys,
Does any one know how getting an extended warranty is supposed to work?
Here are the particulars.
I bought my bike from a seller in Virginia. My dealer is telling me that in order to have a certified extended warranty issued,I need to contact that person,the extended warranty goes in his name then he transfers it to me.
I have had the bike almost two years registered and titled to me and I have issues that the seller wants to be bothered with all that.
I guess I question that approach as when I brought the subject up last year the warranty price was a 1000 bucks. Now he quotes me at 800....
Thanx !

Steve 0080
11-30-2015, 07:39 PM
The warranty goes to THE bike, not someone's name. If you have the paperwork, then you should/will be fine......

Now the price for same, that's a different story.... should be around $400 for four more years.....

On this bike, IMHO it is a waste of money !!!

Wing'n it
11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I purchased the extended warranty on my new 15 and what I know from the past the only reason to even consider it is the electronics. That's where most of the problems will happen when the bike gets some age on it, stuff like the radio and handle bar switches, dash cluster and digital display panel. I extended mine out to last the life of the loan I have on it, 5 years.

ff73148
11-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Call Honda's customer service. The extended warranty follows the bike.

grendl
11-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanx gentlemen. Thats what I thought also that the warranty goes to the bike not a name.I don't know if my dealer doesn't know any better or he doesn't want the business for some reason - which means I will go somewhere else like I did when I bought it. They wouldn't budge off the MSRP and offered no incentive for a cash deal.
I checked Honda's website for information but this wasn't answered ,so I figured my best advice is going to come from you learned gentlemen:-) D'uh :icon_doh:
Oh, on their website Honda states they DON't cover the radio...

Phantom
11-30-2015, 10:30 PM
Thanx gentlemen. Thats what I thought also that the warranty goes to the bike not a name.I don't know if my dealer doesn't know any better or he doesn't want the business for some reason - which means I will go somewhere else like I did when I bought it. They wouldn't budge off the MSRP and offered no incentive for a cash deal.
I checked Honda's website for information but this wasn't answered ,so I figured my best advice is going to come from you learned gentlemen:-) D'uh :icon_doh:
Oh, on their website Honda states they DON't cover the radio...

Call Honda of Russellville, ask for Roger Shatwell

yellow rex
12-01-2015, 12:23 AM
Extended warranty is worth the money, if you are the unlucky soul on a tranny problem you will not be happy.
I had the warranty on my 02 wing and the handle bar switches started sticking on both sides $700 plus dollar for repair but the warranty
took care of that, had front seal leak warranty took care of that so $400 is cheap insurance.

Phantom
12-01-2015, 02:43 PM
:icon_cool::yes:

Just like last year around this time, I have reached out to Honda of Russellville.

I have communicated with the GM and he has agreed to offer extended warranties at a special price to our forum members, details will follow in the next few days.

Apache1
12-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, I was told that in order for me to get an extended warranty, I must purchase it before the factory 3 year warranty expires. Is there any validity to that statement?

Phantom
12-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, I was told that in order for me to get an extended warranty, I must purchase it before the factory 3 year warranty expires. Is there any validity to that statement?
Yes, that is correct. You can purchase it at any time, however it only starts once the original warranty expires. If you sell your motorcycle before the extended warranty goes into effect, You can cancel it and request a refund from Honda. Honda will deduct a $25 processing fee.

Apache1
12-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Yes, that is correct. You can purchase it at any time, however it only starts once the original warranty expires. If you sell your motorcycle before the extended warranty goes into effect, You can cancel it and request a refund from Honda. Honda will deduct a $25 processing fee.

They also quoted me $1495 for a 3 yr warranty. This is through a small shop here in town through Protective Asset Protection. Pretty steep for me, $400 would be much more doable!

TailGunner
12-02-2015, 07:26 AM

Just like last year around this time, I have reached out to Honda of Russellville.

I have communicated with the GM and he has agreed to offer extended warranties at a special price to our forum members, details will follow in the next few days.

interested

Greg O
12-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Please keep us posted Phantom

willtill
12-02-2015, 09:22 AM
I think I would like to subscribe to an extended warranty also.

This is a bike that I plan on keeping for a long time. Quite the contrary to the ownership of my previous bikes.

Phantom
12-02-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda of Russellville (one of our supporting vendors) has a Honda 4 year extended warranty available for our members at a great price. One exception, they cannot sell to Florida residents.

Per the State of Florida regulations …… Florida Residents need to purchase through a Florida dealership. If you have an out of state address (2nd home/alternative address) that can be used then HOR can sell you a warranty also using that non-Florida address. Your warranty will still be good with Florida dealerships even though the address on the warranty is of another address that you may have.

You must call Honda of Russellville and ask for Melony at 1-888-753-0405

ths61
12-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Honda of Russellville (one of our supporting vendors) has a Honda 4 year extended warranty available for our members at a great price. One exception, they cannot sell to Florida residents.

Per the State of Florida regulations …… Florida Residents need to purchase through a Florida dealership. If you have an out of state address (2nd home/alternative address) that can be used then HOR can sell you a warranty also using that non-Florida address. Your warranty will still be good with Florida dealerships even though the address on the warranty is of another address that you may have.

You must call Honda of Russellville and ask for Melony at 1-888-753-0405

Thanks much Phantom, called and left a message.

Update: They called back.

- 48 month warranty starting at the end of the OEM warranty.
- Warranty is from Mother Honda, not a 3rd party policy and is honored by all Honda dealers in the USA.
- Price is descent.
- Offer expires at the end of December, 2015.
- 100% refund before your OEM warranty expires.
- Front end loaded refund after OEM warranty expires (read: not linear)
- Warranty is transferable to new owner.
- She can tell you how long your OEM warranty is valid if you supply her with your VIN #

Thanks Phantom.

willtill
12-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks much Phantom, called and left a message.

Update: They called back.

- 48 month warranty starting at the end of the OEM warranty.
- Warranty is from Mother Honda, not a 3rd party policy and is honored by all Honda dealers in the USA.
- Price is descent.
- Offer expires at the end of December, 2015.
- 100% refund before your OEM warranty expires.
- Front end loaded refund after OEM warranty expires (read: not linear)
- Warranty is transferable to new owner.
- She can tell you how long your OEM warranty is valid if you supply her with your VIN #

Thanks Phantom.

Sounds like a happy board member. :yes: Guess I'll be making a call as well :icon_wink:

SimonTemplar
12-03-2015, 02:26 AM
My memory may be going (I understand memory is alway the second thing to go with age) but....can't you purchase directly from Honda as well?

....sT

maxrider
12-03-2015, 10:18 AM
No Honda leaves it up to the dealers to sell the policy, however there is a HUGE markup in policy prices.

So that is why it pays to shop around for your best price, and FL being the only state which does not allow out of state purchase for the policy,see post below from Phantom.

It would make sense for all others to shop around, including checking on dealers out of state.

It ain't that hard to pick up the phone and make a call(s) :).

VStarRider
12-03-2015, 01:01 PM
No Honda leaves it up to the dealers to sell the policy, however there is a HUGE markup in policy prices.

So that is why it pays to shop around for your best price, and FL being the only state which does not allow out of state purchase for the policy,see post below from Phantom.

It would make sense for all others to shop around, including checking on dealers out of state.

It ain't that hard to pick up the phone and make a call(s) :).

I just called Honda of Russellville. They are aware of the promotion on this site, and gave me a price over the phone. Arkansas sales tax is 9%, so keep that in mind when comparing. Also, this deal DOES NOT include roadside assistance, which I believe is available for an extra charge.

valkmc
12-03-2015, 01:31 PM

Ran into this with the 98 Valk. Back then you could find the extended warranty for $400 or so outside of Florida and the cheapest I could find it in Florida was $850. Ended up keeping the bike for 12 years and had one major repair (rivets popped in the clutch basket). Repaired it myself for $300 and I never did purchase the warranty.

I do own property in NY and there is an address assigned to it. Does anyone know if the bike has to be registered in the other state. Has anyone tried this?

VStarRider
12-03-2015, 07:58 PM

Ran into this with the 98 Valk. Back then you could find the extended warranty for $400 or so outside of Florida and the cheapest I could find it in Florida was $850. Ended up keeping the bike for 12 years and had one major repair (rivets popped in the clutch basket). Repaired it myself for $300 and I never did purchase the warranty.

I do own property in NY and there is an address assigned to it. Does anyone know if the bike has to be registered in the other state. Has anyone tried this?

My guess it that is has nothing to do with where it is registered. I bought an extended warranty for a Yamaha snowmobile years ago from a Yamaha dealer in Wisconsin and it was not an issue. They cover the machine; who cares where you ride it.

Phantom
12-03-2015, 10:33 PM

Yes, I have. I live in Florida and had the 4 year warranty sent to a family member in another state.

Florida treats this as a insurance policy and adds taxes and fees associated with insurance.

No, your bike does not need to be registered out of state, mine was registered in Florida.

valkmc
12-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Yes, I have. I live in Florida and had the 4 year warranty sent to a family member in another state.

Florida treats this as a insurance policy and adds taxes and fees associated with insurance.

No, your bike does not need to be registered out of state, mine was registered in Florida.

Great, I own a family farm in NY and my dad lives on the land so I will have mine sent there. Thanks for the info.