PDA

View Full Version : First December ride ever, and various musings

VStarRider
12-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks to the combination of wind protection offered by the Madstad windshield, full fairing, and El Nino conditions influencing the weather in the northeast, I took my first ride in the month of December. I am currently still in what is now an eight month riding season, another first. I don't think its over yet, either.

I picked up the bike at the dealer on October 13. I remember fearing I wouldn't get enough miles on it to see if I liked it; or, when my Madstad showed up on 10/29, whether I would get enough time to evaluate whether it was the shield for me.

Ha!

Here I am, with 1,000+ miles, and I feel a little more comfortable on this bike each time I ride it. I love how it handles. Do I dare call a 900 lb bike "nimble"? I feel like I can toss this thing around like a little crotch rocket. I have only ridden standard bikes and cruisers…I wonder how I would feel on a true sport bike?

I love how comfortable it is. Others mention an aftermarket seat…not for me. The standard seat is great for me.

The effortless power…and so much of it on tap…

I even think the storage is great…one of the reasons that I was considering the Vic Cross Country…now that I know how to stuff my helmet in the saddlebag. Today, I went to the mall and got two pairs of shoes…put one in left saddlebag, one in the right…with room left to spare. All of the keyed storage is annoying, but I will solve that with either the remote unlocking device from WingStuff or just uncoupling one bag from the lock mechanism. Also, I am figuring out how to "make it work" with the existing configuration.

All the while, I know that I have a 15 year old design that is proven and I can rely on this bike for 10+ plus years of trouble-free service!

maxrider
12-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Yup you got it figured out, congrats on your F6B, now keep a lid on your wallet, man their is a ton of Farkels out there, flashers,led lights,muth mirrors,bellypan,reflectors,run/turn,whelen brake lights, helibars, gps mounts, voltmeters,etc, etc, :) you get it.

But you started out right with the Madstad, I love mine.

MisterB
12-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Brother, I'm with you on all points. I always thought "that would be a great bike, maybe I'll get one in a few years used" as 20k was more than I'd ever spend on a MC. 13.5k for my New Old Stock '13 and I couldn't refuse!
I got a taller windshield and happily ride on 35F mornings. Installed OEM heated grips and my hands are cozy. I feel like I've won the lottery. It's so damn luxurious it feels funny owning a bike this nice. Better bikers suffer with far less. Oh well, I'll ride the shit out of it! BTW, it feels lighter than my ST1300 did. That had a much higher center of gravity and was just an inch away from a tipover at all times.

Sucks getting them late in the season, I'm already waiting for spring.
When the snow flies you can farkle her up with center stand and all the million other goodies you'll see on F6B Riders forums!
Have a blast!

tinkerman
12-05-2015, 05:10 AM
Yessir, I am two years in here on a Canadian 2013 model.....Coming from older Brit and American bikes I have never been happier with a machine....awesome on just about every level....I am in the north east as well....north eastern Canada that is. I have ridden a number of times in Dec but probably not this year.....the road salt has been in play this year since mid November...and I generally don't run the bikes in the salt.

Ride safe....

wjduke
12-05-2015, 05:15 AM
This thread is me also....but I bet hundreds others are saying the same thing. Mine is one month old today, over 700 miles and riding today and tomorrow. Have a couple of goodies going on at a later date, just because I want to ride with the free time I have now. Have a center stand waiting and Rivco aero pegs on their way as we speak. I'm trying to stop at this point, but I know that's impossible. I need more stuff just for the rally in September, but it's ride time right now. I need luggage...a power source...a tire repair kit...a mini compressor...an ipod...and more. Ya, I'll stop buying someday!