PDA

View Full Version : OK, sell me on the F6B

lhurker
12-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Hi all!

I'm tentatively in the market for a new bike, having ridden a large Honda bagger for many years now.

Current contenders are the Honda Gold Wing F6B (l) vs the Indian Chieftain (r)

As I’m 55, this would probably be the last bike I’d ever own. I want to ride, too, not wrench. Reliability and low maintenance are key.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

HONDA F6b:

PLUSSES:

1800cc 6-cylinder boxer engine, liquid-cooled, known for balance of torque vs high-end and for longevity
Shaft drive
~$2K lower asking price than the Chieftain
Modern electronic features
Great Honda fit & finish, engineering

MINUSES:

Does not have old-school look nor much chrome
No reverse gear on the F6B like the ‘Wing — they dropped it to save weight

INDIAN CHIEFTAIN:

PLUSSES:

111ci/1800cc V-Twin engine, air-cooled
Belt drive
TONS of chrome & old-school styling — freaking gorgeous

MINUSES:

Indian Motorcycle has been in & out of bankruptcy since last century. While the brand is now owned & produced by Polaris, I don’t know how long Indian will be around this time.
I’m not familiar with long-term reliability of the brand
~$2k Higher asking price than the F6B

Please share your riding experiences on the F6B to help me make a better decision!

Thanks

stroguy
12-06-2015, 12:44 PM
You're 55 and don't need chrome. It's ride time not chrome polish time. Have you driven an F6B? Most reliable package you can buy.

shooter
12-06-2015, 12:56 PM
You can add chrome. A lot for the $2000 difference. That Indian ain't much better than a HD. The Honda is blazingly fast and corners like a Moto GP bike. Honda us a proven package with millions of miles in the field testing. Water cooled. Stro guy rides one. Oh , and this.3591

CheesyRider
12-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Keep in mind that real world pricing makes the F6B closer to $5K less than the Cheiftain. It seams the Indians sell for close to MSRP, but even current year F6Bs can be found with big discounts.

Jimmytee
12-06-2015, 01:15 PM
It's all in what you want. I simply love the flat six motor. I also don't believe you'll find a better performer between the two. The Indians are sharp looking, but I think the F6B is awesome in looks and doesn't look like every other cruiser on the market.
I believe the Indians will probably be here to stay for awhile. Seems this comeback with Polaris has some staying power.

carpdm
12-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Does the Indian have reverse? Ride'm both, then decide.

unsub
12-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi all!

I'm tentatively in the market for a new bike, having ridden a large Honda bagger for many years now.

Current contenders are the Honda Gold Wing F6B (l) vs the Indian Chieftain (r)

As I’m 55, this would probably be the last bike I’d ever own. I want to ride, too, not wrench. Reliability and low maintenance are key.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

HONDA F6b:

PLUSSES:

1800cc 6-cylinder boxer engine, liquid-cooled, known for balance of torque vs high-end and for longevity
Shaft drive
Great Honda fit & finish, engineering

MINUSES:

Does not have old-school look nor much chrome
No reverse gear on the F6B like the ‘Wing — they dropped it to save weight

INDIAN CHIEFTAIN:

PLUSSES:

111ci/1800cc V-Twin engine, air-cooled
Belt drive
TONS of chrome & old-school styling — freaking gorgeous

MINUSES:

Indian Motorcycle has been in & out of bankruptcy since last century. While the brand is now owned & produced by Polaris, I don’t know how long Indian will be around this time.
I’m not familiar with long-term reliability of the brand
~$2k Higher asking price than the F6B

Please share your riding experiences on the F6B to help me make a better decision!

Thanks

Since you're asking I don't think you can compare a belt or a chain drive to the shaft drive on a GL1800. Of the three I would have to say the shaft is essentially quiet and maintenance free, whereas the other two are not. I would put the belt drive in the negative column. Specifically on Polaris Victory machines there are numerous owner reports of belt chirp and alignment issues. Enough reports to make me [if I were in your shoes] think there may be a real issue buried in there somewhere. You also point out correctly that Indian has had numerous owners over the years. That's a deal breaker me [if I were in your shoes] because again as you've pointed out you want ride time, and not wrench time with the dealers or lack thereof. God, it would be like finding Artesians looking for someone to escalate issues to at Polaris.

Greg O
12-06-2015, 02:04 PM
First off your not going to get old school styling and reliability, so you have to pick one. I rode Harley Baggers for nearly 20 years. This is the bike for comfort and reliability. This bike is so simple to clean you rarely have to get out the hose. I prefer my bikes murdered out. I am also 55 and don't see myself going back to Harley Davidson. It also seems like everybody and there brother has a Harley these days. I wanted something different.

gandydancer
12-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Harley rider most of my 49 years on bikes--had a 2008 Wing and then 2013 f6b when they first came out--HD Rushmore changes got me back to Harley---good changes and a good bike but missed the power of the 6cly--back on a f6b---nothing like riding in the "hills" of Texas and not down shifting--Indians look great and run good--most folks I`ve talked to simply say they are still very much like HD`s---test ride both and go for it---

Old Ryder
12-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Since you're asking I don't think you can compare a belt or a chain drive to the shaft drive on a GL1800. Of the three I would have to say the shaft is essentially quiet and maintenance free, whereas the other two are not. I would put the belt drive in the negative column. Specifically on Polaris Victory machines there are numerous owner reports of belt chirp and alignment issues. Enough reports to make me [if I were in your shoes] think there may be a real issue buried in there somewhere. You also point out correctly that Indian has had numerous owners over the years. That's a deal breaker me [if I were in your shoes] because again as you've pointed out you want ride time, and not wrench time with the dealers or lack thereof. God, it would be like finding Artesians looking for someone to escalate issues to at Polaris.

I had 2 Victorys---one had the belt chirp. Go over to the Victory and Indian forums and it is a mixed bag as far as responses to the problem. Some guys got new sprockets and some---like my dealer---played dumb to the issue and was happy to replace it at full MSRP and $90 hour labor charge. But that was Vic. I rode all the Indian models and they are a quality bikes. My concern would be dealer support and the price associated with it. I have experienced quite a bit of "heartburn" and "elevated anger issues" in dealing with Polaris on the most simple items. Not sure about Indian, but with Vic, ALL warranty work must be given written permission before work is started and even then, the wait for parts can be excessive. (Google is your friend) How close is your Indain dealer? Closest to me is over 150 miles away and if he doesn't make you happy, then how about 200 miles? That being said, bot of my Victorys were quality machines, but if you want to add accessories, at this stage of production your only option is Indian. That may not sound like a big deal, but on my Cross Roads, when I went to add a backrest and luggage rack, there was one option and the combo was close to 1K. Yep---that is not a misprint. Look it up.

Now for the F6B, the dealer thingy is not an issue for 2 reasons. 1) they are all over the place and 2) you never need them because it never breaks down. There are more goodies for the B than I could ever afford---remember there are a ton of Wings on the street and almost everything that fits a wing can fit the B. There is also a reason this generation of Wing/F6B has been in production for well over a decade. Personally, after years polishing chrome on Harleys, I am happy to wash my bike and be done in 10 minutes, but that is just me.

My biggest issue with the B will most likely be yours. You will spend money making the seat, bars and windshield fit your specific body. Some guys fit from the stocj OEM position, but most have to change something. Once you do that, you will have the best combination of comfort and touring----then when you open it up on the twisties you will most likely be able to hang with the sportbike crowd, too.

I'm done! :soapbox:

BTW---welcome to the board.

opas ride
12-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Having owned and ridden 2 Victory motorcycles and several Indian bikes at demo rides, it all depends on what one wants in a bike...After riding my F6B for over 2 1/2 years now...no question that the F6B is the way to go..Smoother, faster, one of the more reliable bikes on the planet, not much chrome to polish and handles like a dream...The Indian is way heavier, over 900lbs, and is just not my type of bike..You will spend a lot more on it and why??...At 76 years of age I did not want to wrestle with a heavy V-Twin bike and the F6B was my answer...Spend the cash you will save on the Honda and outfit the F6B the way you want and enjoy a truly great bike...I thought that at 55 I was on my last bike!!....Since then I have had 6 different bikes and none as nice a ride as the 6.....JMHO...

Miks
12-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Since I have owned a plethora of motorcycles...I think about 37 counting my 2015 Honda F6B, I hope I can help you decide what bike you should purchase.

First off, I categorize a motorcycle as different than most other products we buy. A motorcycle has soul, but it also has to have that look to it that you enjoy. Nothing like going for a ride, parking your motorcycle alongside a river or other photographic scene, and just staring at it because you enjoy it that much. If you don't like the looks of a bike, you can't use the more analytical approach to ownership, it is all about the visual and character of the bike that will make that decision.

That being said, I ride my F6B with a Indian Chieftain rider, and can give you some input to how the bikes compare. I traded my 2015 Victory Cross Country for the Honda F6B, and it was the best decision I have made in a while.

First off - Indian will be around for a long time! I have gone to the Polaris factory in Spirit Lake IA, as the factory is about 100 miles from my place. The Indian is a totally re-engineered motorcycle from what piece of crap they ended up with just to have the Indian name. The bike has a lot of shared component engineering from the Victory, which is a good thing. The Victory 106 Freedom engine is built like a tank, and from modification companies, they say it is a very hard engine to blow up! The transmission is a Victory 6 speed, so it is going to make a lot of CLUNK, but it is a certified 100,000 mile + transmission so abuse it if you want.

The Honda F6B is more of a practical everyday bike, it handles better and will leave the Indian in the dust (why do you think the F6B has such large mirrors?, to watch the rest of the bikes while you are pining the throttle!) Anyway, the F6B has the engine performance, and is generally smoother with a transmission that is hugely slicker when it comes to grabbing the next hear. When I say "everyday" bike, I mean the weather protection is better around your legs, and the batwing fairings always have airflow from the bottom that seems to slip up to your chest and face. The F6B doesn't have that annoying characteristic.

While riding with the Indian Chieftain, both are equally comfortable, and amazingly get about the same gas mileage if not the edge to the F6B by two or three miles per gallon. What I like is that I don't have to search for premium fuel all the time, as the F6B uses 86 octane regular. In the Chieftain manual, it states that you can use a lower octane, but for best performance 91 octane should be used.

If you ride a lot in warm weather, the F6B is going to be the bike of choice. The radiators get rid of the heat away from you for the most part, while the Chieftain...especially in stop and go traffic, is a very warm bike in that the heat radiates right at you and the engines run HOT! I had a temperature gauge for my oil on the Victory, and it would run 220 to 245 if the temperature was above 85 degrees and we ran the bikes hard, but according to the engineers I have spoke to, they aren't worried until it gets in the 270 + range and they really aren't all that concerned about that either.

The Chieftain is more top heavy, and it does NOT have reverse gear. The electronics are a little more advanced IE bluetooth from the dash, so you can link your phone to your helmet, and it does have the throttle by wire. Now, if you were talking a Harley Vs. Indian Chieftain, forget about it, the Indian is a no-brainer. But, if you like pure reliability and refinement, the Honda is the answer hands down.

The belt on the Chieftain is a 40,000 mile replacement interval, so not a big deal, they are cheap. Going between the two bikes, and other Indian riders that we swap bikes at times, most can't believe the performance and fun the F6B brings to the table. I enjoy the thump of the big V-twin as it is a single pin crank similar to the Harley, so it has that "heart beat potato-potato" sound, and it has torque out the wazoo. It is the real deal if you like big V-twin bikes.

While riding to a resort, we stopped at a popular watering hole for a cold beer on the way home, and I told my riding buddy that the attention to his bike would be insane, as it is a nice looking bike with all the chrome, and most Harley guys like Indian motorcycles. To my amazement, most people would look at the Indian and like the looks, but they were more involved with "what the heck is this...a HONDA?" and then they would go on about how they owned a Honda at one time, and thought the F6B was one cool bike.

Go figure, huh?

VP8
12-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Like what others have said, you really need to ride both and decide which you enjoy riding most. Also, another thing to consider is, are you going to be riding a passenger. If you are riding a passenger more than just a little...then you may want to consider a bike with a trunk...such as the full dress Honda Goldwing or the Chieftain you are contemplating about. I know Indian dealers will let you test ride the bikes...and some Honda dealers will too. It's just something you will have to pre-arrange with the salesperson.

Now, I've ridden the full dress Honda Goldwing, Indian Chieftain, HD Street Glide, HD Ultra Limited CVO, owned a Victory Cross Country (also owned by Polaris) and of course currently own a F6B.

The HD bikes have nice low end power, shake like crazy at idle and are a bit cramped for the rider. The Chieftain was well balanced, good control, decent power, but I also felt cramped, similar to the HD. My 2012 Victory Cross Country, which I owned for one year and ridden over 26K miles on was very smooth, decent gas mileage, very roomy for the rider and had mass loads of saddlebag storage. My problem with it was reliability, parts availability from Polaris and lack of dealerships near me. During my one year of ownership, I ran into eight warranty problems...one of which was the belt pulley was defective and squealing. Polaris agreed to replace the pulley, but not the belt. Generally, when ever you replace the pulley, it is best to replace the belt at the same time. On one warranty issue (porous cylinder head), my bike was sitting at the dealer for over 45 days waiting for a new cylinder head to arrive from Polaris. I was so pissed off, I managed to find one myself.

Since maintenance and reliability is a big factor for you...you really need to do some research on not only the Indian brand (since Polaris took over) but you should also do some research on Polaris as well. As others have said...shaft drive is maintenance free. Verses a belt, you have to replace the belt and pulley every 30K miles...which I believe can cost somewhere around $500 with labor.

As for electronics, Indian does have Honda beat on that. The Chieftain has bluetooth, remote control lock saddlebags (the full goldwing has this too), key fob electric start and an electronic adjustable windshield. However, the Chieftain does not have reverse gear like the full goldwing does.

As for power...Honda is way more powerful than the Chieftain.

I've owned my F6B for a little over a year now...and I love it...I haven't had one warranty issue on this bike yet. There is that one recall that people have discussed, but I haven't experienced any problems, so I will wait until my next service interval to have that issue taken care of. I rarely take a passenger, and I know how to pack light, so this bike was perfect for me, as I was contemplating on purchasing the full goldwing.

Hopefully this has been of some help...good luck with your decision.

stroguy
12-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Hey Miks and VP8, you guys upset with Twitter? Freakin sweet you 2. Now let your keyboards cool down.

shooter
12-06-2015, 05:04 PM
I thought I was reading a novel.

stroguy
12-06-2015, 05:13 PM
I thought I was reading a novel.

The wives must be out of town. I originally was going to post 'cause I like it'. Guys make us look bad. Where's Phantom?

yardart
12-06-2015, 05:32 PM
You need to ride both bikes, they are different style of riding. Enjoy them both before you decide.
Or just buy them both..

willtill
12-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Will never own another piece of shit Vic. :no: :nono:

Went back to Honda for reliability.

Texas TC
12-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Watch out for Polaris warranty issues. I owned a Polaris Razor for a while and Polaris refused to warranty every issue. I had bought an extended warranty that I cancelled before the original warranty ran out because they were so bad about servicing problems. I really like their new Sling Shot as a novelty bike but would not own one or any other Polaris made product.

I have had my F6B for three years and nine months. I have almost 33,000 miles and truly love this motorcycle.

xgringo
12-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Hey lhurker!!

This is all GREAT info. Let me add one tiny detail. The F6B is very easy to lift. It weighs about 55 pounds more than my previous bike an 08 Kaw Nomad but it is sooo much easier to lift if it goes down. In fact I couldn't lift the Nomad when loaded for travel. I know, it went down in an oil puddle at a Love's fuel stop in Texas. Happily some strong employees saw me struggling and helped me upright her commenting as they lifted at how heavy it was.

On that same trip I was rear ended at low speed in San Miguel de Allende in front of two cops. The Nomad was a tank and could take it, but one of the cops had to help me lift it. So when you move to the F6B you will in effect be downsizing although to a possibly heavier but a far better bike. And if you ride alone as I do this is a biggy.

Enjoy!!
Tom

shooter
12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
The wives must be out of town. I originally was going to post 'cause I like it'. Guys make us look bad. Where's Phantom?

Don't tell on em. You always was a tattletale. That time I shot old lady Sims in the azz with my slingshot you told my dad on me. These guys are just having a slow day.

ths61
12-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Don't tell on em. You always was a tattletale. That time I shot old lady Sims in the azz with my slingshot you told my dad on me. These guys are just having a slow day.

Did you 2 actually know each other as children, or is this just a schtick (e.g. monkey woman) ?

MisterB
12-06-2015, 06:44 PM
If this is a minus; "Does not have old-school look nor much chrome" you should get the Indian. The B will never appeal to your personal aesthetic.
While you can't see much of a bike when you're riding it's nice to spend your money on something that makes you go "ooooh".
The Honda may be a trouble-free ride for the remainder of your riding years but in the end you'll look at it and say "meh.".
If the Indian spends half it's time in the shop you'll still be happy for the other half. When you retire from riding you'll look at the Indian with pride and joy even after all the issues and say, "OOOOOH YEAAAHHHH!"
(there may never be issues with the Indian, just demonstrating how a bias can affect our experience.)

The negative items for the B were about the actual bike, the negatives for Indian were about the brand and the price.
Sounds like you don't have any issues with one of the bikes, buy that one.

richw56
12-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Hey, lhurker!
Pros and cons are a matter of personal perspective.
For example, of the four positives you listed for the Indian, for me the first two would be negatives, and the third would be a neutral, at best.
I'm not big on the idea of loading 111ci into just two air-cooled cylinders (I'm happier spreading 1832cc out over six radiator-cooled cylinders on the F6B for one of the smoothest, most power-packed rides in motorcycling); I prefer shaft drive to belt drive; and tons of chrome, while perhaps looking excellent, translates for me into more time polishing and less time riding.
Both bikes have a lot going for them - just in different ways.
Pick what turns you on - there's plenty of objective positive information available to rationalize your decision, either way!

stroguy
12-06-2015, 07:05 PM

Oh your dad let your mom switch that behind. I never did say sorry.

Hey OP, you will love the Indian around town. But you want a travel cruiser, a reliable bike for long trips? Then you need the B

shooter
12-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Did you 2 actually know each other as children, or is this just a schtick (e.g. monkey woman) ?

We grew up next door to each other. Well 2nd grade on. Best friends till he married my girlfriend. I forgave him after the divorce.

shooter
12-06-2015, 07:42 PM
I agree with Stro OP. I've ridden a lot of bikes. For purely getting down the road in comfort and style and for ultimate reliability choose the B.

wjduke
12-06-2015, 09:08 PM
I was in the same position....couldn't decide which way to go. Never rode either one. I chose the Honda for the history of reliability. That was it. My buddy has a 2015 Roadmaster and was on me hard to go the Indian route. He wants to try mine one day. Just hope I get the buzz out, because this bike has balls and rides on a rail.

RickJ
12-06-2015, 10:48 PM
I was tempted by a loud, all engine machine...even the BMW or Triumph Trophy (not loud but "motorcycle" look. What I finally saw in the 6 aside from dealer nearby and legendary reliability, was a unique machine with a futuristic but classic look-sort of a decco style-remember bucky fuller's dymaxion car? My wife hates it-she likes my Triumph thunderbird much better, but she doesnt ride and isn't as tuned to the fact that almost every other bike around here is a chromed twin-ohhh look, a black harley. Well, I still like the big twins- especially something as retro as an indian- but I like being a little different- the real answer is that cycle guys need more than one bike! Hey I STARTED riding at 57- I'm 68 and have had four bikes- still have three of them and would gladely get more...you can tell your wife this will be your last bike- but unless you know something you havent revealed (medically) don't tell US it'll be the last!! enjoy the hunt-and remember it's unlikely your decision will be wrong-conversely, you'll probably second guess yourself. Be grateful these are the problems you face!

CheesyRider
12-07-2015, 08:53 AM
I was curious about the Indian owner's perspective on the OP's question. I figured he probably asked the same question on an Indian forum and sure enough, he did: http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/ok-sell-me-on-the-chieftain.12178/

glryder98
12-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Atlanta Dragway......4 passes....best 11.97 Need I say more?

wjduke
12-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Typical forum chat...everyone talks up what they ride. One guy said our bike doesn't have cruise. Shouldn't dis something when you don't know what you're talking about.

stroguy
12-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Atlanta Dragway......4 passes....best 11.97 Need I say more?

Sweet. What was top speed? Do you know your shift points? Did you make it to 5th?

stroguy
12-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Typical forum chat...everyone talks up what they ride. One guy said our bike doesn't have cruise. Shouldn't dis something when you don't know what you're talking about.

I dunno, they seem pretty knowledgeable about dis 6BF thing.

Phantom
12-07-2015, 10:08 AM
:shrug:

For me it comes down to where I want to spend my limited precious time ….

Polishing, cleaning, wrenching, putting limited miles on the bike because the chrome and bike would get dirty, worrying if I break down in the middle of nowhere, do I want to spend my vacation money at the repair shop or on vacation? etc etc etc.

or

Just take the power washer to the bike then just ride my Couch Rocket with absolutely no worries and a big ole grin on my face

I'll get back to you with my decision "coffee"

willtill
12-07-2015, 11:08 AM
It's nice to finally have a bike where you don't have to agonize over the look of the wheels. That flat black powder coating on the wheels; is a gift sent from the motorcycle gods. You can't even tell if the wheels are dirty.

No more chrome. Never, ever again. :nono:

wjduke
12-07-2015, 11:30 AM
It's nice to finally have a bike where you don't have to agonize over the look of the wheels. That flat black powder coating on the wheels; is a gift sent from the motorcycle gods. You can't even tell if the wheels are dirty.

:yes:Even this paint...pretty much wipe it down and forget it. I haven't touched the wheels yet either. I was a fanatic on my previous bike.

Cypack
12-07-2015, 11:44 AM
I may have missed this, but do you plan on hauling a passenger? If so, my wife says our B has the most comfortable passenger setup she's ridden. Also, I understand your desire for classic styling and the v-twin's rumble. I still think about what could have been if I pulled the trigger on a H-D Heritage Soft Tail. If I had to make the decision again, I'd get the B. It's just so quick and smooth.

Bob Penn
12-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Some people buy bikes for looks, some to show off, and some actually buy bikes to ride!
That's why when someone starts bragging on their ride I ask them to turn their key on. Then I can see their odometer reading! That tells me what they really know about bikes.
That being said, I had the same problem. I had been looking at new bikes for 2 years and even though I had cash on hand I was still unable to pull the trigger. I had ridden the chieftain and loved the bike but the near $30k with tax price tag plus the limited amount of dealers with an even more limited amount of experienced mechanics made me hesitate.
Then one sunny day I was in my dealers show room picking up parts for my other bike and I walked over and sat down on the 2013 F6 that I had previously sat on many times before over the past 2 years. One of the salesmen came over and asked if I was interested. They still had the original $22k price sticker on the bike. So I pointed at it and said not at that price. He then advised me that Honda had a special promotion deal going and he could let it go for $15k. I was taken aback but being 69 years old I said I'll think about it. I started to walk out the door. Then the brain farted and I said to myself what the heck am I waiting for. I ordered an about face.
I thru down my credit card and told them I wanted it lowered 1" and I wanted a higher windshield installed.
My first bike was a 57 Indian chief that I had bought in 1964 so I really had some after thoughts. But then again I've had a few bikes since then. Most were good experiences except maybe for my AMF Harley.
Mind you I had never ridden an f6B! As I've already stated it was a sunny day and it turned into perhaps one of my luckiest. 3 days later when I picked up the bike and rode it for the first time I knew it wasn't a good decision it was a great decision!
By the way 4 months later my odometer reads 6000 miles. Each day I fall deeper in love with this bike it's not perfect but then again love affairs never are!
About, Honda, I just had the recall done. All parts, fluids and labor were free and the dealer bought me coffee and donuts

shooter
12-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Sacreligious!!!

RickJ
12-07-2015, 02:17 PM

I got the feeling that they were more respectful [?] of the Hondas reliability and ride than we were of their brand. (for a good reason)

OTOH your point about cruisecontrol ignorance was spot on.

wjduke
12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
I got the feeling that they were more respectful [?] of the Hondas reliability and ride than we were of their brand. (for a good reason)

OTOH your point about cruisecontrol ignorance was spot on.
I'm on an Indian forum....haven't gone back since I bought the 6. I wasn't sure which direction I was going. My 9 forum is the same way. We all bleed what we ride...lol They were cool for the most part. Just don't like someone saying something that isn't true. I went the reliability route, along with comfort and visibility. The Cheiftan has a lot of nice features. It's more expensive too.

Bunny
12-07-2015, 06:42 PM
i totally agree with what you said about the Beautiful B!!!! i am a female owner of the F6B and i get on that bike and i just dont want to get off of it. i did swap out my seat, replace the windshield, want more mods but i got the important things done - that bike is so comfortable i can just keep on going and going and going!!!

that's my 2 cents worth = don't comment much on here but had to this time. Enjoy what ever bike you decide on!!

Bunny

I had 2 Victorys---one had the belt chirp. Go over to the Victory and Indian forums and it is a mixed bag as far as responses to the problem. Some guys got new sprockets and some---like my dealer---played dumb to the issue and was happy to replace it at full MSRP and $90 hour labor charge. But that was Vic. I rode all the Indian models and they are a quality bikes. My concern would be dealer support and the price associated with it. I have experienced quite a bit of "heartburn" and "elevated anger issues" in dealing with Polaris on the most simple items. Not sure about Indian, but with Vic, ALL warranty work must be given written permission before work is started and even then, the wait for parts can be excessive. (Google is your friend) How close is your Indain dealer? Closest to me is over 150 miles away and if he doesn't make you happy, then how about 200 miles? That being said, bot of my Victorys were quality machines, but if you want to add accessories, at this stage of production your only option is Indian. That may not sound like a big deal, but on my Cross Roads, when I went to add a backrest and luggage rack, there was one option and the combo was close to 1K. Yep---that is not a misprint. Look it up.

Now for the F6B, the dealer thingy is not an issue for 2 reasons. 1) they are all over the place and 2) you never need them because it never breaks down. There are more goodies for the B than I could ever afford---remember there are a ton of Wings on the street and almost everything that fits a wing can fit the B. There is also a reason this generation of Wing/F6B has been in production for well over a decade. Personally, after years polishing chrome on Harleys, I am happy to wash my bike and be done in 10 minutes, but that is just me.

My biggest issue with the B will most likely be yours. You will spend money making the seat, bars and windshield fit your specific body. Some guys fit from the stocj OEM position, but most have to change something. Once you do that, you will have the best combination of comfort and touring----then when you open it up on the twisties you will most likely be able to hang with the sportbike crowd, too.

I'm done! :soapbox:

BTW---welcome to the board.

glryder98
12-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Sweet. What was top speed? Do you know your shift points? Did you make it to 5th?

109mph ......red line at shift points...... only used 4 gears........ I just love this bike!!!!

stroguy
12-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Much awesome!

Hdnvn
02-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Indian is just plain ugly.
F6 is a thing of beauty

BEIST
02-11-2016, 05:06 AM

Retired Army
02-11-2016, 08:46 AM
After many hours of research and time spent on looking at a small bank account, I decided the best bang for the buck was the F6B. So it boiled down to money and comfort being the deciding factor. Now I could use some advice on who to vote for, Hillary or Trump?

Fla_rider
02-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Well, I have to agree with most posts on here, but you answered your question in your original post when you said

"As I’m 55, this would probably be the last bike I’d ever own. I want to ride, too, not wrench. Reliability and low maintenance are key."

If this is truly what you want the answer is clear! Most of us here are in your age bracket and bought the 6 for the same reasons.

If you have not ridden a 6 I recommend you do, our forum members are very friendly (except Stro) :icon_mrgreen:. maybe you can find one of them near you to test drive the last bike you will own.

Good Luck on your decision and never look back!

Maintenance Log- Changed oil with Rotella T6 every 5k, Changed tires at 14k, Recall 17k. Current mileage 23k. Is that low enough maintenance?

Fla_rider
02-11-2016, 12:24 PM
After many hours of research and time spent on looking at a small bank account, I decided the best bang for the buck was the F6B. So it boiled down to money and comfort being the deciding factor. Now I could use some advice on who to vote for, Hillary or Trump?

Why are we always faced with which of the two evils to go with?

opas ride
02-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Why are we always faced with which of the two evils to go with?
Choice is great isn't it??...A "top-notch" Bullshit artist on one hand and a "Pathetic liar/bitch on the other!!!...Makes one wonder!!!

Kasperwing
10-07-2017, 07:32 AM
OP never responded here. Did he ever get a bike? Did we scare him off? When the old and new F6B fly past him, he might have buyers remorse he did not ride red.....:icon_lol:

VStarRider
10-09-2017, 03:23 PM
I believe he went with the Honda, mainly due to cost.

I rode the Chieftain and own the F6B...can make an argument for either one...I think the F6 has a few more pros than the Chieftain, mainly due to the engine and overall reliability.

However, keyless start, Bluetooth, storage, ABS and the ride quality on the Indian is superior to my Honda...just my opinion. Man, that flat-6 sure does weigh heavily on the pro-con scale to balance several features that the Indian trumps the Honda on.

thumper 549
10-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Generalities-
For the last 20 or more years the HD market has gone to the old wnanbee guys that never mustered the fortitude when younger.
Now they are fulling their bucket list and are White KNUCKLED AT ANYTHING OVER 40 mph.
I call them "The Slugalug clubs." LOL
They could not tell you the difference between a timing chain or a primary chain.
They buy a bike, go to the tavern, or join some BS club and putt-putt along plugging up all the roads at 45MPH.
Being too dam stupid top mover over once in awhile.
I have owned plenty of HD and still own at least one.
I actually RIDE it to Sturgis.
SO you will have to be BRUTALLY HONEST with your self.
Why do you want a bike?
And -what will you be doing with it?
Do you want to be kool? Then By a POS V twin.
Stare at it and polish it.
NEVER You will pay so much for so little HP!
It is embarrassing!
If you by a HD you can start laying dwn more cash for parts that should have come with it in the first place.
Do i hate HD?
No.
I find it hard to respect idiots that buy them.

jmdaniel
10-10-2017, 08:40 AM
My buddy I ride with here in Austin totaled his Harley a couple of months back. He was mostly fine, but due to sore ribs, couldn't join me on my ride out to the Smokies last week, even though he had a brand spanking new 2017 HD.

Well..., while I was gone, some young gal pulled out in front of him, and he crashed the new one. I saw news of the accident on FB, and among the many comments from his friends came one from the sales guy that sold him the new one.

"Don't worry, Harry. When you heal up, I'll find you a new one."

Since I had been telling Harry he should consider a new Wing, even before he totaled the first HD with 96K miles on it, I responded to this guy by replying, "Don't you think Harry has suffered enough?", with a link to an article talking about the 2018 Wings. That is when the sales guy went Full Ret*rd...

"Do you really think the girl pulled out in front of Harry because he was on a Harley?"
"Great, another guy on a Honda because he can't afford a Harley."
"Have you ever seen someone with a Honda tattoo?"

I replied back that I wasn't implying anything about Harry being on a Harley causing the accident, that I don't give two craps what anyone rides, and that the next time he spoke to Harry, he should probably ask him about my financial status; what I can and can't afford. The Honda tattoo comment was just too stupid to even reply to, but if a tattoo is a reason to buy a particular bike brand, I think I'll start my own motorcycle company; called "Tribal Arm Band", or Betty Boop". Gold mine, right?

stevenolts
10-10-2017, 01:18 PM
The F6B is an incredible motorcycle!!!

All I can say is ride it and you will believe.

Take it out for a test ride and ride it like you stole it and I guarantee you will believe.

no heat
no heat
no heat (unless I am flaying it and wearing shorts)

F6B is an incredible motorcycle!!!

WEGI
10-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Generalities-
For the last 20 or more years the HD market has gone to the old wnanbee guys that never mustered the fortitude when younger.
I have owned plenty of HD and still own at least one.
Do you want to be kool? Then By a POS V twin.
Do i hate HD?
No.

I find it hard to respect idiots that buy them.

Thump, did you read this before you sent it?? Really?

WEG

thumper 549
10-10-2017, 07:11 PM
You dont like it?
What is the problem with it?
You do not have to disagree, or even agree.
That is how I see it.
If you wish to critique it go ahead, but you do not have to be passive aggressive-
I am not your wife

Blk6bgg6
10-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Blown away by the h-d sales guy.I have felt peer pressure is so prevalent with that brand,even the sales guy used the cultural to get j Daniel buddy back on h-d.It's a shame grown adults buy a bike that gets them in the loop at thbike nite and poker runs.I'm sure the h-d riders that are real motorcyclists aren't so keen on the hard heads that act like that.

thumper 549
10-10-2017, 07:45 PM
I think my biggest problem with HD is the people that buy them.
Ignorant most of them.
They have no clue about Hp ratio to cubic inches.
nothing on the tech side.
Oh, ya can talk about wax.....
Just put on more chrome, that ought to do it.

They paid 20 TO 35k FOR marginal HP!
That is a lot of hard work(money) to NOT be able to do 85MPH all day.
I have an OLD HD and have worked very hard to make it better.
I passed a bunch guys on newer Harleys about 500 miles out from Sturgis .
I was doing 85- 90 MPH with my SO on the back, loaded HVY.
We stop every 2 hours to fill up and stretch...and after while 10 or 15 min, in they came, the ones I passed.
They were somewhere near amazed and somewheres near pissed that they could not keep up with my little EVO!
They were scrutinizing it and examining.
Asking questions, and wanting to know what stroke and bore it all is.
Being passive aggressive, defensive.
I explained it was stock stroke and bore with improved pistons and valve and head work.
They did not like it!
Of course, they had no clue about engine work, except they knew phrases like "what stage" is it? LOL
If I spent that amount of money for those things they did I would be pissed too, if I could not catch an old 1994 Road king.
The funny part was/is-i did not know they were trying to keep up...LOL
I am an old guy, and we bought our first Harley in the old days we had better know how to take care of it or at least learn fast.
The new generation...clueless.
Most the time I don't think they deserve a Harley as they have cheapened it.
Truly the blame lands squarly in HD for creating riders with no clue.
Here , buy a 50 dollar T shirt, you should feel better and be our walking talking bill board. For free.

willtill
10-11-2017, 08:53 AM
I think my biggest problem with HD is the people that buy them.
Ignorant most of them.
They have no clue about Hp ratio to cubic inches.
nothing on the tech side.
Oh, ya can talk about wax.....
Just put on more chrome, that ought to do it.

They paid 20 TO 35k FOR marginal HP!
That is a lot of hard work(money) to NOT be able to do 85MPH all day.
I have an OLD HD and have worked very hard to make it better.
I passed a bunch guys on newer Harleys about 500 miles out from Sturgis .
I was doing 85- 90 MPH with my SO on the back, loaded HVY.
We stop every 2 hours to fill up and stretch...and after while 10 or 15 min, in they came, the ones I passed.
They were somewhere near amazed and somewheres near pissed that they could not keep up with my little EVO!
They were scrutinizing it and examining.
Asking questions, and wanting to know what stroke and bore it all is.
Being passive aggressive, defensive.
I explained it was stock stroke and bore with improved pistons and valve and head work.
They did not like it!
Of course, they had no clue about engine work, except they knew phrases like "what stage" is it? LOL
If I spent that amount of money for those things they did I would be pissed too, if I could not catch an old 1994 Road king.
The funny part was/is-i did not know they were trying to keep up...LOL
I am an old guy, and we bought our first Harley in the old days we had better know how to take care of it or at least learn fast.
The new generation...clueless.
Most the time I don't think they deserve a Harley as they have cheapened it.
Truly the blame lands squarly in HD for creating riders with no clue.
Here , buy a 50 dollar T shirt, you should feel better and be our walking talking bill board. For free.

Concur. They're being used as "tools" and they don't realize it.

..and that is why I like to debadge. Hell, I don't like wearing ANYTHING a product name or logo on it. :jerkit: Old Navy, Under Armor.... all of that crap... no thanks.

thumper 549
10-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Except our CAV Hats
LOL

Draxsr
10-11-2017, 01:03 PM
I confess that I know little about all those 'mechanic sounding terms'. I buy Honda's (1998 1100 Shadow, 2005 VTX 1800c, and now a 2016 F6B Deluxe) because I'm an operator and not a maintainer. I have bikes that run forever with next to no maintenance required, and have only been stranded three times. My Shadow had the gasket that the shift rod runs through fail, my X had a battery go flat (but that was my fault), and a flat tire on my X. Hopefully I don't have to turn in my license because I don't know a bore from a boar.

Just enjoying the rides....

willtill
10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Except our CAV Hats
LOL

That is quite different. :icon_wink:

thumper 549
10-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Anyway----giddyup back on topic.
Every bike is not for everyone.
No one can pick it for ya.
If you want trouble free, or close to it get a Goldwing or at least a metric something or other.
If you elect a V twin Harley route, bone up on good and the bad.
Used,- 2002 was the last year for the timkins and HD has had LOTS of problems going the cheap route.
Next, The TC engines have a HUGE problem with flywheels coming out of phase.
Then there is the cam chest problems with the TC.
It's best to install gears and get rid of the chains.

I like HD, its a simple machine but one has to know the variations within the species.
I have 1994 Evo.
A simple .
Carb, Twin tech ign, and i carry a spare.
Not scared to go anywhere.
If I was a mechanical idiot i would hands dwn get a Flat 6 (F6B )