PDA

View Full Version : Newbie non-owner as of yet says hello

Old N Grumpy
12-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Hi Everybody,

Been riding two wheels of some sort for 46 years. Currently own a 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and a 2005 Harley Fatboy Anniversary. I am considering adding an F6B. Here lies the problem:

Went to my local dealer the other night to check one out in person. Thought the bike looked real cool. Upon sitting on it thats where the fascination ended. I felt cramped, no, rather stuffed in the cockpit. I said to myself there's no way I'm touring anywhere like this with my knees scrunched up to my chin.

I am 6' tall 32" inseam and about 280...yes,...fat! Not one to give up easily I said I can't possibly be the only one with this problem and there must be solutions.

What I found were "comfort controls" to move everything forward 3 inches and down an inch, helibars, aero flip out highway pegs etc. Called Ultimate Seats to find out how fat back their seat moves you and they said 1.5". Going to pose that same question to Russell Day Long tomorrow.

I could see myself easily spending $2K or more towards ergonomics. I like the bike enough to do that but here's the $64,000 question...Will these changes (and I'm sure you guys know lots more) do enough to get me really comfortable and roomy or should I just take a pass on the Honda?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
-Grumpy

Big Cat
12-06-2015, 07:18 PM
We are the same height and inseam. I have limited knee flexion and need to reduce knee bend. The combination of Ultimate King seat and handlebar risers made me a lot more comfortable. Here is a website that allows you to compare different bikes for seating position: http://cycle-ergo.com

Good luck!

Old Ryder
12-06-2015, 07:25 PM
I am 6'1" @260 with 32" inseam and 35" sleeve/arms. It did require an Ultimate King Boy, Helibars and Kury mini boards with Ergo III to fit me. But I was able to make it work.

gandydancer
12-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Amen on the Ultimate King Seat--at 6`3 and 260, it works for me--

shooter
12-06-2015, 07:46 PM
I've got you by 10 pounds and an inch in height. Stock seat and Rivco hwy pegs. Comfort drop Kury on the driver pegs. I'm actually good but that stock seat makes my azz burn so I'm putting an ultimate king on this winter.

Heavvyduty
12-06-2015, 08:09 PM
6ft3 375 here. added hwy pegs an have know problem at all.

Old N Grumpy
12-06-2015, 10:03 PM
I am 6'1" @260 with 32" inseam and 35" sleeve/arms. It did require an Ultimate King Boy, Helibars and Kury mini boards with Ergo III to fit me. But I was able to make it work.

So you can go on long rides, be nice and comfy, no problem? I just need to make sure before I spend all that money plus probably another 2K for add ons. I want to be able to do 400-600 miles without pain at the end of the day. Thank you for your help and the others who replied.

dickiedeals
12-07-2015, 06:53 AM
'riding'
Hi Everybody,

Been riding two wheels of some sort for 46 years. Currently own a 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and a 2005 Harley Fatboy Anniversary. I am considering adding an F6B. Here lies the problem:

Went to my local dealer the other night to check one out in person. Thought the bike looked real cool. Upon sitting on it thats where the fascination ended. I felt cramped, no, rather stuffed in the cockpit. I said to myself there's no way I'm touring anywhere like this with my knees scrunched up to my chin.

I am 6' tall 32" inseam and about 280...yes,...fat! Not one to give up easily I said I can't possibly be the only one with this problem and there must be solutions.

What I found were "comfort controls" to move everything forward 3 inches and down an inch, helibars, aero flip out highway pegs etc. Called Ultimate Seats to find out how fat back their seat moves you and they said 1.5". Going to pose that same question to Russell Day Long tomorrow.

I could see myself easily spending $2K or more towards ergonomics. I like the bike enough to do that but here's the $64,000 question...Will these changes (and I'm sure you guys know lots more) do enough to get me really comfortable and roomy or should I just take a pass on the Honda?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
-Grumpy

Go to a dealer that will let you go on a test ride of 100 miles or so as I did. (Jeoff Bodine Honda Melbourne Florida) Ride in various areas like in traffic,down the Interstate etc. Run it through its paces. All of your UN-comforts will fade. You will return with a smile on your face. After purchase you will adjust the bars, I moved mine forward a bit, wider, and up if I remember. I added the Kuryakyn Heel-toe running boards as I'd been riding Harley with running boards the past 20 years. I removed foam from the stock seat to move me back ,added a Utopia driver backrest and rode 590 miles in a day that weekend. No doubt you will have to make personal changes,but I've never owned any brand That I didn't have to make changes to. The trick is to find a deal. Don't pay retail. Look about until you find a dealer that will give you a deal... Oh yea, almost forgot you will need a taller windshield.. I recommend a dart Smoke Madstad. They are butt ugly but by far the best shield I've ever had on the F6B .................................................D ickie

Old Ryder
12-07-2015, 07:30 AM
So you can go on long rides, be nice and comfy, no problem? I just need to make sure before I spend all that money plus probably another 2K for add ons. I want to be able to do 400-600 miles without pain at the end of the day. Thank you for your help and the others who replied.

Been riding since 1977 and have owned all different brands and styles from the old 125 Hondas to all of the CB models, Harleys and touring Victorys. This is the best combo of them all and it does it all well. Yes very comfy. I am 60 years old and do about 10,000 miles per year. Included in those are about 3-4 weekend trips per year of about 1,000-1,400 miles each. 500 miles per day is not a big deal for me. Biggest problem for me is I have to remember not to wear a full face helmet while doing long stretches on the interstate. I find myself wanting to nod, therefore I have be sure to keep wind in my face and lots of noise on the MP3 player or radio. :nojoke:

Bob Penn
12-07-2015, 10:14 AM
I had just the opposite problem short legs (29" inseam) that made it difficult to reach the ground. I never noticed the aggressive riding position until I replaced the Stock seat with a Mustang (about $550). The Mustang sat me down 1" (which was my objective) and back about 2". I should mention that I also mechanically lowered the bike 1". Now I can sit flat footed at the lights.
But I digress. By moving the seat back it took most of the bend out of legs and I now ride in a more laid back posture. I added kury. full floor boards (about $400 with the shifting peg) my legs are now very comfortable except when I'm trying to reach the Areo foot-pegs ($399 full chrome ver.). Which now I really have to stretch too make contact with.
With the addition of the adjustable Kury. riser kit (about $80) moving the bars back and up allowed me to adjust them to the perfect riding position , at least for me. Usually with long legs come long arms so you mite not need them.
The F6 is a really big bike allowing for any amount of comfort customization, limited only by your imagination.

Old Ryder
12-07-2015, 07:23 PM
When I bought the Mustang, it sat me back, but also lower which made things worse. While stopped, my knees were close to 90 degrees bent and flat footed. The king seat also moved me back and a bit higher which also affected the reach on the bars but I am still flat footed at the light but my legs are a lot straighter. I changed to Helibars, but that is because I love low bent elbows when I ride. I guess I am the "anti ape hanger" guy.

unsub
12-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Hi there Old n Grumpy

I would suggest you try riding a few miles before you decide on what changes to make, if any. That'll mean making a B purchase on faith.

I haven't made any mods on my B and I'm about your height, arm rake and inseam but somewhat lighter. The stock B can eat miles all day long and still be comfortable, but that style of riding can loose it's appeal quickly if you like to stop and smell the roses.

Personal opinion here: What's the point of modifying the bike just so you can stay on it for hours and hours without a break?