PDA

View Full Version : F6B with Hannigan Classic Sidecar

NCF6B
12-08-2015, 08:25 AM
Just had my Hannigan Classic Sidecar installed. The installation was done at Freedom Sidecars by Claude Steiner, Dave, and his team. Can't say enough good things about this team and their installation abilities. The install kit from Hannigan is designed to fit a GL1800. It required a few modifications to fit the F6. These guys did it with ease. Very satisfied with the install and performance of the package. Still in a fairly steep learning curve but Claude and Dave gave me a chance to practice under their careful eye. My thanks to "Foodog" for his ongoing coaching. Keep you posted on progress!179561795717958179561795717958

Phantom
12-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Just had my Hannigan Classic Sidecar installed. The installation was done at Freedom Sidecars by Claude Steiner, Dave, and his team. Can't say enough good things about this team and their installation abilities. The install kit from Hannigan is designed to fit a GL1800. It required a few modifications to fit the F6. These guys did it with ease. Very satisfied with the install and performance of the package. Still in a fairly steep learning curve but Claude and Dave gave me a chance to practice under their careful eye. My thanks to "Foodog" for his ongoing coaching. Keep you posted on progress!179561795717958179561795717958

No Attachments ????

You need to click on the "manage attachments" button and upload them that way

unsub
12-08-2015, 10:18 AM
What was your reasoning for the install?

NCF6B
12-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Wanted more freedom to move about than the 2 wheels gave me. I use the bike for everything and was getting tired of worrying about sand, gravel and back roads that are unpaved. Here in eastern NC there are a lot of sandy roads! The main reason is "I just plain wanted to try it". I'm not getting younger and didn't want to wait till "later" to do it! Phantom, thanks, here are the pics! 179631796117962179631796117962

Willl
12-08-2015, 09:54 PM
Nice, how is the ride in the side car?

Steve 0080
12-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Riding in a sidecar will scare the hell out of you !!!!!

willtill
12-09-2015, 06:58 AM

My thoughts exactly.

NCF6B
12-09-2015, 07:04 AM
My thoughts exactly.

WELL, the good news is you don't have to!

stroguy
12-09-2015, 07:18 AM
That's a sexy James Bond style machine. Great work!

lloydmoore1
12-09-2015, 07:36 AM
Nice job.Looks great. Lots of room for travel now for sure.

98valk
12-09-2015, 11:50 AM
It looks nice. It's like towing a trailer, but you can keep an eye on it :icon_lol: .

Don't try lane splitting with that setup! :yikes:

DMAGOLDRDR
12-09-2015, 12:51 PM
Enjoy the new Rig. You now have bragging rights with the largest right side saddle bag.
I have an older Wing with a California Sidecar and they are (IMHO) more fun and useful than a Trike.

willtill
12-09-2015, 01:52 PM

My thoughts exactly.

WELL, the good news is you don't have to!

Don't get me wrong. I like it. But the terror of being that low near the ground; with oncoming traffic. And you're like...

...well; sort of a sitting duck. :shock:

Chas
12-09-2015, 03:51 PM
I would have to say you ARE a sitting duck. But I gotta give credit to a nice setup. Looks good!

NCF6B
12-09-2015, 05:21 PM
I would have to say you ARE a sitting duck. But I gotta give credit to a nice setup. Looks good!

Thanks all. Really appreciate the comments. After Claude and Dave installed it I rode in it to the practice course. Took several Pa. corners at 55 to 60 mph. It was an experience!! Dave really showed me what the rig is capable of in the hands of an experienced rider.Got a ways to go to get anywhere near there. Fortunately it's an acquired skill! One of the biggest challenges as you point out is remembering that it's there! Foodog still holds the record with the f6 and a sidecar. They all know him and he has a reputation as a highly skilled rider with an F6 and a rig! Will keep u posted on how it's going!

sshake1905
12-10-2015, 02:50 PM
really like the looks of your new Hannigan sidecar and it really goes great with the black F6:yes:

My plans to go to a third wheel are about a year away..:yes:...reasons are very similar to yours, lots off gravel backroads in the Pacificnorthwest...I have two 9 inch rods in my lower back, which bother me most when mounting and dismounting on 2 wheels...plus I am over 65, have a 28 inch inseam and carry around 30 more pounds than I should :yikes: I can do something about the pounds, but the others call for a third wheel...sooner than later..:shrug:.

I have just about decided to install the new Hannigan HRT front end reverse trike kit. It was just introduced by Hannigan in Sept of 2015 and isn't even on their website yet....but,I have emailed Jon-Micheal Hill for specs, info, prices, etc in the last month..

With the reverse trike kit install, I can keep the reliability of the Honda F6B, retain everything but the front forks and wheel, and have a setup that will handle better than a basic rear end trike...:yes:

I would really be interested in your upcoming experience with your new sidecar setup...hope you can continue to post how your new riding experience goes....it would be interesting to me and others I'm sure..:icon_biggrin:.Thanks

Have fun with your new setup...:clap2:...Shaker

Chas
12-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Shaker please keep us updated on your future setup. Thanks!

cueman
12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
I have had a few hacked rigs in my day and enjoyed them all. My 1st was a 1955 Harley Hydra Glide, 2nd BMW / 2 with Jawa, 3rd Kaw Drifter with Velorex, 4th 2012 Ural-T and still have it. I think the Hannigans are one of the best and when the time comes, that is where I would look first. Just think how cool your rig would look pulling my Corvette Trailer that I just happen to have for sale! :icon_cool: cueman

sshake1905
12-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey Chas.....if you are interested in photos and more info on this new Hannigan HRT reverse trike...

I first saw it on triketalk.com under the Industry and Sponsors news forum....it was first shown at the 2015 Wing Ding in Huntsville, Alabama and, at this time, Hannigan is only producing the kit for Honda GL1800, but is looking at modifying it for the F6B (how different could it be ?).

Hannigan said they have not yet trained their installer nationwide, because the kit is so new, and if someone wants this winter...only install would be at HQ in Murray, KY.....my hope is that by this time next winter...they will have a HRT kit for the F6B and installers will be trained ready to install one for me in Salt Lake City, Utah at Crossroads Trikes (closest Hannigan dealer/installer)

At release time this Sept 2015 basic pricing was very reasonable for a GL1800....$ 8395 for base kit one color Honda matched paint $ 795...(2 colors - 1195 )...and the install labor, including tear down and prep work - $ 1695.....Base price includes 17" chrome front wheels ( black out wheels + 400).....About $ 11,000 with one color paint and no options....not bad

Options can include chrome front bumper (350).. sub-framed foot fairings, with one color paint and installed for $ 1,770 plus wheel options

I will get more specs soon and relay them to you....Shaker

CopperMike
12-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Looks good! Now you need the chrome wheels on your F6!

deacon
12-11-2015, 08:12 PM

I live about three miles for Hannigan's factory in Murray Ky,I have worked in the factory and watched the process,good people making a good product.

okiedoc
12-11-2015, 08:55 PM
That is a nice looking hack. Thinking about getting a Ural to take on the TAT. I think it would be fun to run two wheels churning off road, even though they need a lot more maintenance than our rigs.

fxdl2051
12-13-2015, 05:17 AM
The truth is they are just crazy fun to ride!

NCF6B
12-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Just a quick update on the sidecar rig! Have really been enjoying it. It handles very well. I did a huge amount of research over about 3 yrs. Hannigan kept coming up for me as the best choice! I went with the classic because of looks and compatibility. The f6b and the classic make a great combo. Claude Steiner has. designed a SC for the F6b and has one on the road already. I'm sure he will send you some pic if you ask. He is at freedomsidecars.com. All of my research said that the installer is critical. I couldn't agree more. I can run the SC in local traffic with no problems and run down the super slab at 65 to 70 with no problem. With quick disconnects I can be back to 2 wheels in about 20 to 30 min. Great combo. My only real suggestion is not to "go cheap" on the outfit or install. You will pay a Hugh price in performance and enjoyment! Glad to answer any questions if you send me a PM. Merry Christmas!

NCF6B
12-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Some of you requested a quick update on the sidecar rig! Have really been enjoying it. It handles very well. I did a huge amount of research over about 3 yrs. Hannigan kept coming up for me as the best choice! I went with the classic because of looks and compatibility. The f6b and the classic make a great combo. Pics posted earlier on this site. Claude Steiner and Dave, the installers have designed a SC for the F6b and have one on the road already. I'm sure he will send you some pics if you ask. He is at freedomsidecars.com. All of my research said that the installer is critical. I couldn't agree more. I can run the SC in local traffic with no problems and run down the super slab at 65 to 70 with no problem. With quick disconnects I can be back to 2 wheels in about 20 to 30 min. Great combo. My only real suggestion is not to "go cheap" on the outfit or install. You will pay a Hugh price in performance and enjoyment! Just got back from a ride to and around Kissimmee Fla. Great ride. Bike and sidecar performed amazingly well. Glad to answer any questions if you send me a PM. Merry Christmas and best wishes for a very Happy and Blessed New Year!!