PDA

View Full Version : Right side of Fairing glove box?

JetBlackWing
12-10-2015, 11:25 AM
What is with the right side cover, not made for use? Was it a wasted opportunity ? Does the cover pop off easily, and was wondering how others put this area to good use.

Thanks

Brian

stroguy
12-10-2015, 11:59 AM
Grip heater switch mounted there for.our 15 deluxe models.

willtill
12-10-2015, 12:35 PM
It is easy to take off; but you have to remove the right side trim first; depending on the year/model of your F6B.. you may find the cruise control bracket under it. Takes up most of the space under it.

I mounted my ambient light sensor for my Headlight Modulators on it (the cover itself). I also have the handgrip heater controls installed on the cover as well.

For me personally while riding; the right handlebar and control housing obscures most of the right side cubbyhole area for any other instrumentation that could be installed upon it.

okf6b
12-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Grip heater switch mounted there for.our 15 deluxe models.

And the cruise control unit lives under there on the 2015 models.

DaWadd
12-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Perfect spot for a voltmeter. Lot's of space under there if you don't have cruise. http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae351/JeffsAero/20150506_120513_zpsqocjpmm2.jpg

JetBlackWing
12-10-2015, 03:08 PM
And the cruise control unit lives under there on the 2015 models.

I see, I might want to add cruise, and wasn't thinking it would require that kind of space. I have a tendonitis issue going on in my right forearm. :icon_cool:

willtill
12-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Perfect spot for a voltmeter. Lot's of space under there if you don't have cruise.

I think he's asking about this area though. This area is also where the cruise control bracket and module is mounted under:

http://i67.tinypic.com/16awknl.jpg

troypennock
12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
for the handgrip heater control, seat heater control, electric vest plug and switch, and electric sox plug and switch

under the seat there is a six connector aux fuse box for individual fuses for left cig lighter, right cig lighter, seat heater, cruise control, the 115 LEDS used in the reflector replacements, and the dual cig lighter outlets in the right saddle bag

Big Cat
12-10-2015, 05:49 PM
I think maybe the OP was asking what that cover and area was originally made for...

That spot was for a lockable glove box, similar to our center cubby now, on 2001-2012 Goldwings. The older Goldwings had two gloveboxes, one on each side. When the 2012s and new body style came out, Honda went to this cover, which matches (pretty close) to the left glovebox cover.

As others have mentioned, it is an ideal place to mount switches, voltmeters, grip heaters, etc. There is ample room behind this cover, except for the top part, where the cruise control unit is mounted, if the bike is so equipped. :thumb:

Wing'n it
12-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Radiator cap is also under there so not much room for large items mounted in that "dummy" lid.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-10-2015, 09:10 PM
I'm about to hydrodip both the doors with more family skulls.
Hardly have reason to opem the right one and Sirius is ignition wired in the other, so why not a few more reaper skulls...

Fla_rider
12-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Yes the grip heater switch is in this location, but like lot's of others have said. It's a difficult area to see and use due to the throttle. I mounted my voltmeter in the panel below much easier to see there. Anything you need to use or push during your ride should be on the left side since this is your free hand unless you have cruise control or a manual cruise control.

smitty
12-19-2015, 07:32 AM
What is with the right side cover, not made for use? Was it a wasted opportunity ? Does the cover pop off easily, and was wondering how others put this area to good use.

Thanks

Brian

I would guess that the cover is fixed because they don't want you reaching across with your left arm while going down the highway I had a older wing that had a glove box on both sides that just my thinking Smitty.

willmusac
12-19-2015, 01:06 PM
It is easy to take off; but you have to remove the right side trim first; depending on the year/model of your F6B.. you may find the cruise control bracket under it. Takes up most of the space under it.

I mounted my ambient light sensor for my Headlight Modulators on it (the cover itself). I also have the handgrip heater controls installed on the cover as well.

For me personally while riding; the right handlebar and control housing obscures most of the right side cubbyhole area for any other instrumentation that could be installed upon it.

I want to install a headlight modulator, any suggestions on the best one out there. I like your location of the photocell on the right fake storage lid.

Thanks

willtill
12-20-2015, 07:39 AM
I want to install a headlight modulator, any suggestions on the best one out there. I like your location of the photocell on the right fake storage lid.

Thanks

I primarily like Kisan Modulators because they are plug and play; and I've never had one fail on me (use them on all motorcycles; past and present).

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/pfin/p115w-d.html

I've also once used a Signal Dynamics modulator; but I had to splice into the headlight wiring for that particular unit. Looks like they are now manufacturing plug and play units as well:

http://www.signaldynamics.com/headlight-module/