PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Did you get the brake recall work performed?

stroguy
12-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Helping out Steve here with a second try at the poll the admins wanted to start. Let us know your experience with a poll selection.

F6B1911
12-10-2015, 05:00 PM
I haven't received anything from Honda.
The dealer won't do anything until I have a recall letter in my hand.

How many here have received a recall letter from Honda??

carpdm
12-10-2015, 06:10 PM
I checked my VIN and indicates work needs to be done. However, I've not received notice from Honda.

willtill
12-10-2015, 06:23 PM

I did not receive a letter. But the dealer ran my VIN and said I needed to bring it in.

From what I have seen in past posts (other threads) some dealers are eager to do the work; others not so much. Just no solid consistency across the board with them.

shooter
12-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Mine happens tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Navvet
12-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I went to the dealer 5 weeks ago, their "Goldwing" service guy said it needed to be done and they would order the parts.

I stopped by the dealer a week ago, the parts were in a warehouse in Ga. waiting to be released. The parts guy called Monday and they arrived Tuesday.

Dropped the bike off at 9am today, they finished at 1Pm. I picked it up and all seems well. :lolup:

Steve 0080
12-10-2015, 08:15 PM

My Service Manager just said to come in when it was convenient for me...he did not check anything !

gray rider
12-10-2015, 08:43 PM
I have received nothing on either my F6B or my new Goldwing trike conversion. Two different dealers and neither one will do anything without the letter from Honda.

STR8UP
12-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Two weeks ago I picked up parts to install a used center stand on my 2013 F6B. I mentioned to the parts manager the recall and he wasn't aware of it since they just recently became a Honda dealer. He checked the serial number of my bike on the Honda site and he said he would order the parts. I got a call Wednesday that the parts arrived and I took the bike in and they did the work today. On the ride back home I noticed the front lever and brake pedal were more responsive, needing less travel to apply the brakes. Otherwise all is good since I didn't have any issues prior to the work.Today I received the recall notice by mail...

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Vin check says no. I replaced fluid anyway.
Dealer says Honda hasn't released the authorization to Powersports dealers in NW, yet.. Anyway they say they will call when Honda.... and get it taken care of. Said would discount any scheduled maint I wanted done, same time.

Good enough answer for me, for now..
J

RickJ
12-11-2015, 01:28 PM
How about a "Honda hasn't contacted me yet and the dealer won't confirm the issue on the F6B." option?

stroguy
12-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately once the poll begins the forum will not allow editing of the selections/choices that I can see. Sorry.

Chas
12-11-2015, 02:27 PM
At the shop now, will advise.

Bob Penn
12-11-2015, 02:31 PM
I never did anything the dealer left 3 messages on my machine (I was out of town) telling me there was a recall on my machine and he was ordering the parts.
When I got home I returned his calls and he advised me the parts were in. 3 days later they called me at 8:30 am and asked if I could bring the bike in. I told him I hadn't had breakfast yet and I would have to wait for the bike. He told me no problem he'd have coffee and donuts waiting for me but to eat slow because it would take 3 hours to complete the job. He was true to his word. After 4 donuts and 2 hours of shopping at the near by mall the bike was done.
I guess they did the job right because in the 40 mile ride home I must have used the brakes at least twice and I felt no difference in the bike.
He did ask me to let him know when I got a letter from Honda.

shooter
12-11-2015, 02:48 PM
What kind of donuts did they have?

Chas
12-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Yummmmmmmm, Choclate.......................................

shooter
12-11-2015, 02:55 PM
'all/right'

wjduke
12-11-2015, 03:11 PM
What kind of donuts did they have?

Only you would ask that....lmao

shooter
12-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Well they just came out and informed me that I needed an extra $180 of work done. They say my front brake and clutch fluid is burnt and needs replacing. Guys I don't use the brakes or the clutch very much. If they told me my throttle fluid was burnt I would be a believer. In fact I inspected my fluids a month ago. Clear and clean. Another attempt of the Stealer lying to us. Let's see if they concentrated as much effort on doing the job right as they did trying to rip me off. They didn't like it when I told them it didn't need it.

stroguy
12-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Well they just came out and informed me that I needed an extra $180 of work done. They say my front brake and clutch fluid is burnt and needs replacing. Guys I don't use the brakes or the clutch very much. If they told me my throttle fluid was burnt I would be a believer. In fact I inspected my fluids a month ago. Clear and clean. Another attempt of the Stealer lying to us. Let's see if they concentrated as much effort on doing the job right as they did trying to rip me off. They didn't like it when I told them it didn't need it.

Don't take no crap Sea Bass!

shooter
12-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Well the gal told me , and I quote , "the fluid is burnt to the point of being damaging". I walked in being their new buddy and walked out being a prick. That's OK. It isn't the first time. I told them if the fluid was that bad they should change it under warranty. Bike only has 5000 miles on it. Still got a year and a half left on the warranty. She said she would talk to the tech. Low and behold it wasn't really that bad. I was treated lousy after that. Office girl had an attitude. Work seems OK so far. They cleaned the bike. I'll put it on the lift Monday and check it out. The didn't like my Alpin or V&H pipes either. Made special notes on the ticket. As long as the work is good I could care less. Took about 3 hours. Oh by the way , no donuts and the coffee sucked. Gotta keep my priorities straight.

1surebet
12-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Well the gal told me , and I quote , "the fluid is burnt to the point of being damaging". I walked in being their new buddy and walked out being a prick. That's OK. It isn't the first time. I told them if the fluid was that bad they should change it under warranty. Bike only has 5000 miles on it. Still got a year and a half left on the warranty. She said she would talk to the tech. Low and behold it wasn't really that bad. I was treated lousy after that. Office girl had an attitude. Work seems OK so far. They cleaned the bike. I'll put it on the lift Monday and check it out. The didn't like my Alpin or V&H pipes either. Made special notes on the ticket. As long as the work is good I could care less. Took about 3 hours. Oh by the way , no donuts and the coffee sucked. Gotta keep my priorities straight.

They, the techs, must get extra points for attaching info to your VIN about items that they can use to deny further warranty work.
Im not quite sure what all would void warranty...Torq Loops? Mufflers with less back pressure?
I believe some H-D riders took the company to court over similar issues a while back.

willtill
12-11-2015, 07:40 PM

What a bunch of horseshit :icon_rolleyes:

Burnt fluid? How? Really? Damaging? Really? :icon_lol: They got a chemist there?

Glad you know what's "up" and going on with the bike. So many people fall prey to stealerships doing that sort of crap...

On a related but unrelated note; my wife once took her car in to Jiffy Lube (I constantly beg her not to) and they told her that her rear brakes needed "cleaning". And they charged her $40.00 to blow out the caliper assemblies with compressed air. :shock:

I was livid when I heard about that. :banghead: Too late for me to stop that crap... she paid cash and it was a done deal with those idiots at Jiffy Lube.

They sure got their name right. :no:

opas ride
12-11-2015, 08:20 PM
It simply amazes me how some of these incompetent places can stay in business with the level of "idiots" that work for them!!....The last time I used a Jiffy Lube, many years ago, the "tech" (asshole), did not tighten the drain plug and when I got home oil was all over the driveway, underside of the car, and was low on oil...Manager said to bring the car back for them to check and I politely told him I would never set foot in a Jiffy Lube again!!!!......Most Honda dealers are no better these days and I am thankful, for now, that I have a dealer that so far is competent, although they are 125 miles away.....Ride safe

Old Ryder
12-13-2015, 09:27 AM
For your viewing pleasure---about 9 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Old Ryder
12-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Almost forgot---No place on the poll for me. Parts ordered early November and as of yesterday they are on backorder. How about a "Frustrated before recall is done" option. :crap:

Steve 0080
12-13-2015, 10:19 AM
I am not sure of the post count, but if the poll is an indication then what I thought all along is thru. Of the the 20 respondents only one did not like the result!

Sooooo with all the hot air out on this topic only one person came forward to say they did not approve of the work done! As polls go, I would say Honda is doing a GREAT job !

"fireybat"

JetBlackWing
12-13-2015, 11:56 AM
My action isn't represented in the above choices;

Not waiting/didn't for Honda's notification, checked VIN number (however we will find out later that it covered all effected years GL1800 and F6Bs, a prediction as I believe they are trying to manage or throttle down the outrage and waiting list at the risk and wear and tear on the bikes on the road) scheduled with local dealer for a week later service, waiting for outcome. I not sure how to make them understand not to touch (rags, paper towels, fingers ect) the OEM black painted surfaces to prevent scaring/scratching of the crappy paint, with out sounding like a prick. :icon_rolleyes:

shooter
12-13-2015, 06:21 PM
You sound like me. Dealers techs scare the shyt out of me.

willtill
12-13-2015, 07:11 PM
I am not sure of the post count, but if the poll is an indication then what I thought all along is thru. Of the the 20 respondents only one did not like the result!

Sooooo with all the hot air out on this topic only one person came forward to say they did not approve of the work done! As polls go, I would say Honda is doing a GREAT job !

"fireybat"

Sure Steve. Right. :icon_lol:

BACA
12-13-2015, 08:04 PM

The parts guy at my dealership called and let me know my parts were in (he already knew mine was recalled) and could I bring it up to them for service......I took it to them on Tuesday (had some other stuff done as well) and picked it up on Saturday........couldn't be happier.

blackmetoc
12-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Only you would ask that....lmao

I just got the notification in the mail this week. I had already fixed it earlier in the month to my satisfaction.

ruben3890
12-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Got my notice from the dealer a week ago, but not made an appointment yet.

Bob Penn
12-17-2015, 10:18 AM
I finally got my recall letter from Mother Honda. So as promised I called my dealer back to let them know I got it.
OK, so I was hopping he would offer more donuts. His only comment was why, with the variety of donuts available on the tray, I ate all the Boston cream donuts last week. Turns out they are his favorites too.
Now I'm concerned about ever bringing my bike back there for service again.

Airborne06
12-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Got mine done today...took them 3 hours. Luckily my gym is next door, so I pumped iron while they fixed the bike. Only issue: When I got on the bike to ride away from the dealership, the foot brake went damn near to the pavement. I took it back, and they readjusted the pedal so it was reachable. So much for the tech taking a test ride.....

Papa Tater
12-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Had it done the end of October when i had my 1st service done. Just got the Recall Letter yesterday.

shooter
12-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Finally got a chance to check the dealers work today. Put it on my lift and first thing I noticed is the panel on the right side covering the engine did not fit right. After removing it I found that one of the rubber grommets that the panel clips into is missing. Lots if brake fluid on parts surrounding the rear master cylinder. Poor job of cleanup. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and have them send me a rubber grommet. I hate dealers.

stroguy
12-17-2015, 08:41 PM
My bike goes in for the repairs tomorrow. I am not taking it back to where I bought it. I was disappointed in the 4000 mile work. So for the 8000, tire and brake recall I called the dealer that did my Yamaha work. They were glad to hear I'm coming back. They instantly knew of the recall when I told them I was bringing an F6B.

Bill1584
12-18-2015, 10:07 AM
My bike goes in for the repairs tomorrow. I am not taking it back to where I bought it. I was disappointed in the 4000 mile work. So for the 8000, tire and brake recall I called the dealer that did my Yamaha work. They were glad to hear I'm coming back. They instantly knew of the recall when I told them I was bringing an F6B.

Hey Randy, where you taking it for the recall work? I just got my notice yesterday.

Bill

Reedman71
12-18-2015, 11:36 AM
I just received my recall notice in the mail yesterday. Call my dealership today and they have the parts in stock. Service will be performed next Wednesday (December 23rd). I'll report on the service after I get the bike back.

okf6b
12-19-2015, 03:08 PM
I took mine in for the recall this morning. I was expecting a 2-3 hour wait. The tech had it completed in well under an hour. He told me he's already done 50 or so of the recalls. He said the first few weren't this fast but he's got it down to an art now. Brakes still work well and the cruise functions fine. It's nice to have a technician that knows what he's doing.... :yes:

stroguy
12-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Almost a hundred respondents and it's a three horse race.

Yeahoo Whoyah
12-20-2015, 01:18 AM
Letter from Hinda arrived this week. I plan to take the bike to the dealer sometime in January.

MarcPW
12-20-2015, 02:59 AM
Letter arrived two weeks ago, immediately contacted my dealer. Job was done last Thursday, took about 5 hours... Was the first one done around here from a Beemer mechanic, a German guy I know. Maybe slow on his first recall job, but I'd rather have a job I can trust !

willtill
12-20-2015, 07:14 AM
Down into the rabbit hole I go again with Honda... :shhh:

Took my bike back to the Honda dealer yesterday; to have the damaged rear caliper replaced; due to the damage it sustained during the brake recall work. Will pick it back up tomorrow hopefully; completely fixed and all issues permanently addressed and resolved.

What a nightmare this has been. Brand new bike. Goes in to dealer to remedy a perceived flaw. Comes back out to me with actual flaws and damage. I thought it was supposed to work the other way; comes back out in better shape than it originally went in...? :shock:

stroguy
12-20-2015, 08:48 AM
I forget Will, are you limited on dealers? Or, have you gone to a new one?

willtill
12-20-2015, 09:30 AM
I forget Will, are you limited on dealers? Or, have you gone to a new one?

There are three multi-metric dealers in my immediate area that sell and work on Honda's. Two of them will never touch any of my bikes ever again. The third (present one) one is closely in danger of falling into that category as well.

I had no choice (other than not to bring it in at all) in this matter. This is a recall; and they won't simply hand you the parts to do the work yourself. I would've opted to do the work myself if they allowed it; for I wrench on my own motorcycles; with the exception of mounting tires. I hate mounting tires. I'll bring the wheel in for that...

...but even that gets screwed up sometimes. :icon_rolleyes:

stroguy
12-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Gotcha, I forgot how many dealers you had access to. Best of luck Army.

sshake1905
12-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Got the paper work on the recall from Honda in mail last week......had talked with my local dealer about the recall in November and they said to wait for recall letter from Mother Honda and then they would set up an appointment.....

My F6B was on the center stand with the battery maintainer hooked up before Thanksgiving...and it has been cold, rainy and snowy since here in Idaho....I will think about getting it done toward the end of February or first of March.....if and when I see a few days with highs of 50 degrees, or more

No rush for me...I'm retired and a fair weather rider...and it will give the Goldwing tech at my dealer time to perfect the art of recall work on some other Goldwings...

wiggy
12-21-2015, 07:46 AM
I called my local dealer just to see if they'd do the recall before I got the letter from Honda. They ran the VIN and said no problem. I made an appointment for 2 days later. When I got home from work the same day I made the appointment(Tues the 15th), the letter had arrived.

Took the bike in the next day and dropped it off. Sales manager said the floodgates opened with calls to schedule appointments. Evidently, many people in our area all got their notices on the same day.

The bike was ready at noon Thursday and seemed fine when I picked it up. I'm glad I got it done because I still ride mine(50 miles west of Chicago)
and my dealer is going to be closed from the 24th till the 5th of January.

wjduke
12-21-2015, 02:53 PM
I picked my bike up new on November 5th, and the dealer said he did it. I never got this notice, so I suppose he did....I see white markings around the master and some brake line connections.

willtill
12-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Was going to pick up my bike tonight from the dealer, but they asked me to leave it overnight so they could check it in the morning; to ensure it does not have an air bubble in the system

They said they did replace the damaged rear caliper and fully bled the system again. Fingers crossed that my bike is now correctly repaired and I will have no further issues.

F6BLK
12-22-2015, 01:28 PM
My scoots in the Barn for the winter! Plan on bringing it when weather warms.still planing a new years eve rip though!

willtill
12-22-2015, 01:34 PM
I just picked up my F6B from the dealer; they had replaced the damaged rear caliper. They didn't seem too happy that I visibly marked the old caliper... not sure why.

There is still some residual brake fluid appearing around the same bleed valve that was leaking before; I am hoping that it is indeed residual and will soon stop.

Brakes feel good. I hope that this all is finally past history.

Later I am going to pull off the front brake caliper covers and keep everything under close scrutiny for the next several days.

I hate recalls. :icon_frown: Especially my experience with this particular one.

JackB
12-22-2015, 07:42 PM
I took my bike to the dealer yesterday it was 40 degrees and light rain.
He called today and said it was done. It's still wet outside so I will pick up when the roads are dry. On the way home I will stop at the car wash to clean it up and then put it back into storage.

stroguy
12-22-2015, 08:31 PM
My bike is ready for pickup. New rear tire and the 8000 mile enema and the recall work is finished.

Pick her up Thursday.

F6B1911
12-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Finally received my recall from Honda.
I'm real nervous after reading of the posts here.
Think I'll just get mine done at Russellville during the next rally.

willtill
12-23-2015, 06:58 AM

If I could of turned back time on this one... I would have not done the recall. I would have just planned to bleed the brakes every year and/or 12K amassed mileage. That is the resultant issue; brake fluid not being renewed as scheduled maintenance and becoming contaminated as a result...

I think for those whom wait will be fine; it'll give some of the the Honda dealership "technicians" ample time to practice on other bikes first. Been there, done that. :shhh:

stroguy
12-23-2015, 08:57 AM

44 out of the respondents were very satisfied with the result. Why be afraid?

opas ride
12-23-2015, 01:07 PM

Got my letter last week also and will wait until Spring if I decide to do recall at all...I might leave things alone and just change fluid as I have no issues so far...I trust the techs at Central Motor Sports and feel confident they will do it right if necessary....Ride safe

Bowhunter1800
12-23-2015, 04:42 PM
I had mine done yesterday at the same place Wiggy (post #50) had his done at. Rode it home 25 miles, 37 degrees, and everything seemed to work just fine. Cruise, heated grips, heated seat, reverse, brakes and all the lights.

Winston
12-24-2015, 05:56 AM
belgium, Antwerp, got my letter today

JackB
12-24-2015, 09:31 AM
I picked my bike up from the dealer and drove it home in the rain, so I could not really test it out.
I was just glad to get it home, washed, and put back to bed for the winter.
I also had the clutch and front brake flushed and new air cleaner installed so it's ready to go.

BuzzzPhotos
12-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Received my letter about 10 days ago. A low beam light went out so I stopped at a dealer in Durant, Oklahoma (closest one) on Wednesday to buy a couple of bulbs. The service manager said he'd completed 2 recalls so far and Honda had sent him 4 kits but they were all for Cruise Control models. Said he'd change both master cylinders but he'd have to order the kit for mine. Mine is a 2013. Kinda funny when he looked down at his desk calendar and said he couldn't make any appointments for next year because he doesn't have a 2016 calendar:banged: Said to call him in a few weeks. Doesn't seem anyone at Honda is very concerned or sees any urgency to get 'er done.

JackB
12-27-2015, 07:40 AM
I'm surprised there is a differnce repair kits for our bikes without cruise control.
My very small Honda dealer only sold 1 F6B (mine). And he had a repair kit in stock.

zman
12-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Got my recall letter, but I can't ride the girl because I fractured my right wrist and left elbow when I fell off a ladder at work. But my son said he love to ride it over to the stealer for me.:icon_biggrin::icon_rolleyes::icon_wink:

Apache1
01-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Got mine completed yesterday. Got a new anti dive valve along with the rest of the recall, wasn't aware that was included. All seems to be working as advertised!

willtill
01-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Got mine completed yesterday. Got a new anti dive valve along with the rest of the recall, wasn't aware that was included. All seems to be working as advertised!

It is not included. Honda would in no way install one of those; and defeat the purpose of the anti-dive valve. You must tell us more.... :popcorn:

greyhaired
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Just received my notice on New year's eve. Have 12000 miles on my 2013 F6B. 16 states of mountains and coast line with no problems.

cosborn
01-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know exactly what is being done, I've asked my service people and they don't know which leads me to believe that they have not done any yet.

I'm a bit pissed, had the 24000 service done in mid Nov when the recall inspection was done and i was assured that the parts would be ordered, well now Jan and of course no one knows anything, oh well.

Chris

:impatient::impatient::impatient::impatient:

willtill
01-05-2016, 07:55 AM
Does anyone know exactly what is being done, I've asked my service people and they don't know which leads me to believe that they have not done any yet.

I'm a bit pissed, had the 24000 service done in mid Nov when the recall inspection was done and i was assured that the parts would be ordered, well now Jan and of course no one knows anything, oh well.

Chris

:impatient::impatient::impatient::impatient:

They are replacing the rear brake cylinder behind the right side cover and replacing the intermediate rear brake cylinder mounted on the left front fork; with re-engineered and improved brake cylinders. Then they are re-bleeding/flushing the entire brake system.

Reedman71
01-05-2016, 08:35 AM
I took the bike in Christmas eve and got it back the day after Christmas. Lancaster (PA) Honda did a great job. The brakes are nice and firm and noticably better. I really think that my brakes were dragging because of the swish - swish - swish sound that they used to make.

Overall, very happy that Honda handled this problem.

faz
01-05-2016, 09:54 AM
My were done before I purchased mine new from the dealer last week:icon_biggrin:
Reedman- Is that a B-King in your Avatar? Just traded mine in for the B, have to grow up sometime.

Reedman71
01-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Yes it is a B-King. Just sold it last summer because it made me do evil things. I was doing a wheelie at 120 between two semi trucks and had an epiphany that my life and the lives of those around me were important. So I sold it.

181.5 horsepower at 540 lbs is a combination for disaster. The bike ruined me though. I doubt that I will ever own a bike with more exhilaration than the King. The best part of owning one was that no one knew what it was or what engine it had in it. (1340 Hayabusa for those who don't know) Shutting down 1000 superbikes and 600 supersports while sitting straight up was awesomely rewarding. I would do it every chance I had and then pull in to a gas station only to have them pull in behind me, pull their helmet off, and say: "What is that thing?". Truly a hooligan bike that had no business ever being made.

He is my beauty along side the Burgman 650 that the F6B replaced:

Sorry to the OP. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Cobraguy
01-05-2016, 04:00 PM
Got the letter, called my local Honda dealer, Motoworld El Cajon. They put me off til after the new year. Called HB Honda where I purchased, they couldn't do much better offering a 12/29 appointment. Did the work at Motoworld El Cajon on 1/4. They wanted to see my 02 Wing for brake recall work also. The F6 was finished same day. I told them to take their time with the 02 Wing, raining all week here and had no appointment. Be interesting to see what Honda is willing to replace on the 02 under the recall. It has 77,000 miles on it the pads are worn and I get that rumble strip feel through the brake pedal when they get used a lot.

Cobraguy
01-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Cosborn, they are replacing the intermediate master cylinder on the left fork, and the rear master cylinder, on ALL GL1800s. They are flushing the whole brake system also. My tech said the recall calls for 6 bottles of brake fluid.

Love to ride
01-05-2016, 06:06 PM
I got my F6B done @ Southern Honda in Chattanooga , Kyle took great care of me and most of all my F6B. Anybody that goes to Honda in Chattanooga look him up ! Great guy KNOWS his stuff ! lee In Marietta Ga .

wjduke
01-07-2016, 12:23 PM
I got my F6B done @ Southern Honda in Chattanooga , Kyle took great care of me and most of all my F6B. Anybody that goes to Honda in Chattanooga look him up ! Great guy KNOWS his stuff ! lee In Marietta Ga .

Hey Lee, how are you...maybe see you at the F6B rally?

Winston
01-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Brought mine on thuesday, got him back today

Vudu_52
01-07-2016, 11:27 PM
After having received my letter just before Christmas, I booked my bike in for the 6,000km service and brake recall to be carried out on Monday of this week.

The service staff advised when I dropped the bike off, that the parts for the brake recall were in stock and that they had two other Goldwings to complete that day but that my bike would be finished late in the day.
I received a phone call later that afternoon to say they didn't have the particular parts for my bike? and they had to be ordered.

On Wednesday I called to check progress and was advised the parts were due in that day. I asked and was assured that my bike would be completed by Friday as I had a weekend ride planned.

Today I physically check in after two phone calls were not returned, only to find out parts are still not available and no ETA for their arrival.
I asked for the return of my bike for the weekend ride and was advised it's still in parts and will not be reassembled (with old parts) till late Saturday.

What makes my F6B different and why do Honda Australia not have the parts to complete the recall after notifying owners?

gandydancer
01-09-2016, 09:37 PM
Took mine in last Thursday---shop in Conroe, Texas, had it done by the following Tuesday---good turn around as they had 4 Wings in front of my bike---they be knocking `em out fast as they can----:icon_biggrin:

Dave Ritsema
01-15-2016, 11:32 AM
The numbers seem to speak for themselves. I couldn't vote twice but I actually had the recall done on my new Gold Wing and a friend had his WIng done as well with no problems. I won't discount the trouble 3 people had, but I think the overall numbers prove Honda is on top of this pretty good. I am satisfied. :yes:

veteran69
01-16-2016, 09:33 AM
The recall work was done after the parts were back ordered 3 weeks. The job was supposed to take 3 - 3.5 hours; however, despite the fact that I had a 9 a.m. appointment they didn't get done until 4:30 p.m. (and this was despite my multiple phone calls). I'm happy with the recall work performed, but not the customer service.

Dave Ritsema
01-19-2016, 05:54 AM
When speaking to my dealer last Friday about my new bike he mentioned that while they were performing recalls and had adequate parts to do so, he was urging owners to get their bikes in ASAP. He predicts long back logs in the spring caused by alot of people getting their bikes out of storage and expecting to get the recall performed right away. You may want to consider getting ahead of the rush if you haven't had this done yet.

randy99ca
01-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Got my recall done and some heated grips installed today.......now if it only quits snowing and warms up so I can take it out of it's long winter nap lol

gandydancer
01-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Good job----now come on down to the Gulf Coast of TEXAS---we don`t know what snow is----:icon_lol:

Apache1
01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
It is not included. Honda would in no way install one of those; and defeat the purpose of the anti-dive valve. You must tell us more.... :popcorn:

The Service Writer called it the Anti Dive Valve that was being replaced with the recall. I saw a bag of parts on the counter that had been replaced, I'm betting it was the Intermediate and not the Anti Dive. He didn't seem real knowledgeable about the actual workings of the bikes. He just schedules the maintenance.

jimbov1
01-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Heard about the recall through the Forum. got a letter in Dec about it contacted Hollister Honda about getting work done and was advised I would be put on the list. Heard from them around 6th or 7th of Jan and scheduled the work to be done. they took the bike and had the work done in about 2 hrs.

shooter
01-23-2016, 11:08 PM
When speaking to my dealer last Friday about my new bike he mentioned that while they were performing recalls and had adequate parts to do so, he was urging owners to get their bikes in ASAP. He predicts long back logs in the spring caused by alot of people getting their bikes out of storage and expecting to get the recall performed right away. You may want to consider getting ahead of the rush if you haven't had this done yet.

Dave I think that's good advice. A lot of Gold Wings out there. Most people are procrastinators.

Big Jay
01-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Mine's going in as soon as the parts come in. They ran out of kits and had to order one for my bike.

Ridlikhel
01-25-2016, 10:04 PM
Took it into my dealer at Cool Springs Honda and was in and out in 2.5 hrs. Also saw BigCat's mat gray sitting in the parking lot. There was several goldwings waiting for the service, but I called a week ahead and I'm glade I did.

Jim-oz
02-01-2016, 12:48 AM
My dealer in Sydney preformed the recall work as he was doing his Pr-delivery on my 'out of the crate' bike. Pick her up tomorrow.

2015F6B
02-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Took mine in for a scheduled appointment last week at Performance Honda in Wesley Chapel, FL. The brake recall was done satisfactorily but the bike was returned to me in dirty condition. It rained for two solid days during the time my bike was with them and was water spotted, also dirty underneath from front tire splash (from a test ride I presume). Needless to say the bike was clean when I dropped it off. When I mentioned it, the service writer who brought the bike around said he could have it washed if I wanted, yea right . . . I am however satisfied with the work they did and would not hesitate to use them again for future service work.

Big Jay
02-03-2016, 09:40 PM
picked my B up from having the recall work done all seems well so far, brakes work good and the peddle feels better than when I took it in , it was a little spongey. Haven't had a chance to check every thing yet ,but I think they did a good job. :yes:

Jay

Willl
02-04-2016, 12:42 AM
picked my B up from having the recall work done all seems well so far, brakes work good and the peddle feels better than when I took it in , it was a little spongey. Haven't had a chance to check every thing yet ,but I think they did a good job. :yes:

Jay

Who did you take the bike to?

coffee_weasle
02-06-2016, 08:17 AM
they still can not track down/fix my trip odometer random-reset issue

so it's still sleeping at the dealer

Hornblower
02-06-2016, 08:32 AM
With the dealer here in Winston-Salem, NC, we're fortunate to have a very experienced technician who has been put in charge of performing all the brake recalls. By now, he could do these in his sleep and do them properly. Seeing an opening in his schedule yesterday morning, I took the "B" in and had it done by lunch time. He did, as expected, a very fine job. In fact, the brakes have never felt so good since I first bought the bike.

Big Jay
02-06-2016, 08:48 PM
Who did you take the bike to?

Took it to Cloumbia river Honda in ST.Helens .

Willl
02-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Took it to Cloumbia river Honda in ST.Helens .

Dirtstiff's F6B
02-06-2016, 09:17 PM
Pro Caliber Longview, Wa.
Did my recall today and I have to give them two thumbs up. When I called about bringing the bike in, and got the parts counter, she knew exactly what I was taking about, before I spoke to the Service manager.

SM says Honda pays 2.5 to 3 hours but there tech Ryan takes a bit longer.

I was pretty finicky (well anal actually, but nice about my paint and graphics), both SM and Tech looked first and assured me there'd be no problem.

The bike was done when they said it would be; no mess, problems or drama. The tech was doing three today behind mine.

They were glad for my business and it showed.
Brakes are adjusted perfectly.

Jim

Phaedrus
02-06-2016, 11:00 PM
Got my bike back today after a week in the shop to complete the brake recall work. They took the bike in without a hitch. It was done in four days (a part had to be ordered) but I couldn't get back to the shop for another four. Easy-peasy.

My only complaint: the rear brake pedal has been attached in a different position, with the foot pad pointed closer to the ground and below the peg. Mighty uncomfortable. I tried to adjust it myself. Looked easy. Loosen the bolt, pull off the brake lever, rotate to the rear, slide back on, tighten the bolt. I got the bolt loosened just fine but couldn't pull the brake lever off. Any ideas about what I did wrong?

willtill
02-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Got my bike back today after a week in the shop to complete the brake recall work. They took the bike in without a hitch. It was done in four days (a part had to be ordered) but I couldn't get back to the shop for another four. Easy-peasy.

My only complaint: the rear brake pedal has been attached in a different position, with the foot pad pointed closer to the ground and below the peg. Mighty uncomfortable. I tried to adjust it myself. Looked easy. Loosen the bolt, pull off the brake lever, rotate to the rear, slide back on, tighten the bolt. I got the bolt loosened just fine but couldn't pull the brake lever off. Any ideas about what I did wrong?

You have to remove the two bolts that hold the right side driver's peg bracket first. Then remove that assembly.

Then you have to completely remove the rear brake pedal bolt. The bolt will still keep the brake pedal on the splined shaft even if it is loose; it rides in a groove on the shaft. You will see that if you look down the hole after removing the bolt.

Then you will be able to pull the brake pedal off of the spline shaft.

And another warning. Be careful when you push the brake pedal back onto the splined shaft in the position that you want it. You could push the splined shaft inwards into the frame; and then it's a lot of fun trying to push it back out from the inside.

Been there, done that. :icon_lol:

Phaedrus
02-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks, Willtill.

53driver
02-16-2016, 11:55 PM
Pensacola Motorsports is about 5 to 7 weeks behind in scheduling. I called them in December when I got my notice. They said they'd call me at the end of January. I called them today and now I'm on a list. They told me the 6 had a different part than a Wing and had to be ordered specially. Bike is fine; doesn't have any symptoms or issues related to the recall.

Maybe in late March....

stevenolts
02-17-2016, 05:27 PM
Is there a time or mileage limit on when we need to get this work done?
Steve

sshake1905
02-18-2016, 12:23 AM
I got my Honda paperwork in December.....called the local Honda dealership in Nampa, ID....same dealer I purchased my 6 from.....and they told me they were ordering recall kits for gl and F6 before they started to do actual recall warranty work....fine with me.:yes:...since it snows alot and is cold here in Idaho from November thru February.......:yikes:.

My bike was covered, on the center stand, and hooked up to the battery maintainer by Thanksgiving...so I asked them to call me when they had the recall kit and saw a day with a forecast of 50 degrees or more....... did'nt really expect to hear from them before March....but I got a call on Monday, Feb 15:shrug:

the shop foreman called during his lunch hour and asked me if it was warm enough for me to ride 6 miles to the dealer. It was about 60 degrees ( and set a record for that date as a matter of fact)...so I unhooked the battery tender, pulled the cover off, and rode to the shop......Whole job was done in 2 and a half hours and I was home by 4 pm....Great:yes:

Must say, the braking feels better/firmer than the previous 16,500 miles....rear brake pedal was positioned at a higher angle than before, but I will try it there first......most braking I do is with the front brake lever anyway.....:shrug:

Very pleased with the whole experienced and guys at the local dealer....notworthy..third Honda I have bought from them over the last 12 years or so..:icon_biggrin:.

RickJ
02-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Stro: that poll has a problem...before the work was done and after...No then yes but the poll only allows one response- so my "yes" won't be recorded and my "no" is no longer true!

Richie
02-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Should i remove fork brace before taking bike in for the recall?
Richie

Hornblower
02-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Should i remove fork brace before taking bike in for the recall?
Richie

Richie--No need to do that.

Richie
02-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Richie--No need to do that.

Thanks, so much

Richie

Amipro
02-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Had the recall work done. Don't notice any difference, hopefully never will.

Didn't need any notification in hand. Just went to my local Honda dealership, they looked up my VIN, ordered the parts, and when they arrived I took my bike in for the work. A bit of delay getting in because of the weather. but only took a couple of weeks start to finish. :icon_biggrin:

coffee_weasle
02-21-2016, 01:20 PM
had the recall done earlier this month. finally got to take it out for an extended ride.

the tech told me the rear fluid was like coffee, so i had the front brake and clutch fluids changed, good for 30k more miles :biggthumpup:

willtill
02-21-2016, 06:40 PM
I was going over my bike tonight (was lucky enough to have good weather yesterday for a ride) and I am one of the few here whom had a bad experience with the brake recall. No fault with mothership Honda... but problems with a local servicing dealership.

Tonight... I noticed that my top rear bleed fitting now is leaking brake fluid down the rear of the caliper. I didn't take a picture of it (I should have though since I have been documented all of this horrible experience with my dealer's work) because I did not have my camera with me and immediately started to wipe the brake fluid off of the caliper; and subsequently decided to back the top bleed fitting out; and re-torgue it back down to 4 ft pounds.

I am keeping my eye on it now. This is a brand new rear brake caliper that the dealer had to replace; since they "eff'ed" up the first one by ruining the threads for the lower bleeder fitting; which profoundly leaked after they did the rear brake master cylinder recall.

I am trying to remain optimistically hopeful that this top bleed fitting just was not tightened down to spec; and the brake fluid was just making it way past the threads. Although this was most certainly a fresh stream of fluid that was coating the rear of the caliper... I dunno....

Really getting perturbed about this shit. This is not rocket science. Should I now be calling some USA Honda customer service hotline?

I just want to ride my bike. Not to be constantly checking previous service work done by an "authorized" Honda dealership.

F*ck.

Spanky
02-23-2016, 12:38 PM
Dropped it of yesterday, drove wifes over to pick it up and drop hers off. I was talking to the parts lady, who said that they have to order by VIN. guess thats ok, as long as it's done.

Ebony Deluxe
02-23-2016, 02:17 PM
I had the recall work done about a month ago. I was reluctant to have someone else put their hands on my bike, but did it anyway. No damage of any sort but rear brake pedal was very soft. My dilemma was, take it back and risk another blunder, or do it right myself. I bit the bullet, bought eight speed bleeders, and some fluid, to my surprise, the supposed fresh fluid seemed dark and dirty. As of now I am very disappointed with dealer service, and probably will never go back, unless there is a major recall. The speed bleeders are a excellent product A-1

willtill
02-23-2016, 02:48 PM
I had the recall work done about a month ago. I was reluctant to have someone else put their hands on my bike, but did it anyway. No damage of any sort but rear brake pedal was very soft. My dilemma was, take it back and risk another blunder, or do it right myself. I bit the bullet, bought eight speed bleeders, and some fluid, to my surprise, the supposed fresh fluid seemed dark and dirty. As of now I am very disappointed with dealer service, and probably will never go back, unless there is a major recall. The speed bleeders are a excellent product A-1

You may want to check your rear brake light; to make sure it is not always on. Been there, done that as well. :icon_rolleyes:

See this post below for guidance. Actually everyone whom has had the recall performed needs to check their brake light.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7558-The-most-finiky-rear-brake-light-switch&highlight=brake+switch

Ebony Deluxe
02-23-2016, 03:23 PM
You may want to check your rear brake light; to make sure it is not always on. Been there, done that as well. :icon_rolleyes:

See this post below for guidance. Actually everyone whom has had the recall performed needs to check their brake light.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7558-The-most-finiky-rear-brake-light-switch&highlight=brake+switch

Thanks for heads up, did check, and they did get that right.

Necanefan
02-27-2016, 10:43 AM
My F6B is in the shop now to take care of the brake recall, add the heated grips and get an oil change.

powercruzer13
02-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Had both bikes done on the same day. Pre-ordered the parts brought one in the A.M. & the next after lunch. Ride Now in Ocala. all good.

choptop
03-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Stopped by a somewhat local dealership today, they ordered my recall parts, will call when they come in. Newer dealership, have not done any F6b's yet. Like many, generally do my own work, last time I took a bike to a dealership they screwed up a rim.
Any body panels I should take off to keep from tabs being broken? I am at 20,000 miles and never been back to a dealer, I will leave the filter go till this coming winter, Do my own oil/filter changes, will have them replace the clutch fluid. Sound feasible ?

BruceN
03-10-2016, 04:17 AM
Dealer has ordered parts, but still have not arrived.:banghead:

Jimmytee
03-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Well, I can now add my name to the list of who have had the recall done. My dealer has had the parts and a set of tires waiting on me until I decided I had gotten my fair mileage out of my tires. Took it in, I also handed the mechanic the steel valve stems I wanted installed and asked him while he was at it to just check the wear on my pads. I was down to a little less than half on the front and less than 30% on the rear pads. Pads are something I'd normally do myself, but they are really fair with me and I told him to go ahead an replace all the pads. All ready for some more miles and twisty bits.:icon_biggrin:

imported_PA_F6Ber
03-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Had my F6B Brake Recall done on March 8. I decided to have them flush the front brake system and the clutch while they had the bike. Replaced the front tire at 14.4K. I "borrowed" one of their used bikes on Monday and picked up the F6B on Tuesday.

Carl

zzh54
03-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Had the recall work done today. So far I am happy with how I was treated and how they treated my bike. My invoice states that they only replaced the second master cylinder and flushed and refilled. Rear brake lights working normal, so no worries there.

BigAl1952
03-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Picked my bike up friday March 11 at noon. Work was all doen and I had them flush and drian the front brake and clutch as well. Everything works and I think the barkes are better now than before. I have a great Honda dealer 4 blocks from my house. Im pretty lucky Al:clap2:

Vudu_52
03-13-2016, 12:06 AM
I finally had my brake recall carried out after, the wrong parts supplied, bike put back together with old parts, and chasing down correct parts.
No help from mother Honda.....argh!

I picked the bike up from the dealership and on the ride home lost the lower pivot bolt which had obviously not been torqued up.
The bike was collected, checked over and returned with a new bolt.

All's well but leaves a bad taste in the mouth and will reconsider who I get to service my bike in the future.

willtill
03-14-2016, 10:02 AM
I finally had my brake recall carried out after, the wrong parts supplied, bike put back together with old parts, and chasing down correct parts.
No help from mother Honda.....argh!

I picked the bike up from the dealership and on the ride home lost the lower pivot bolt which had obviously not been torqued up.
The bike was collected, checked over and returned with a new bolt.

All's well but leaves a bad taste in the mouth and will reconsider who I get to service my bike in the future.

Makes you wonder how many F6B drivers on this board got their bikes repaired; but have never took the opportunity to check everything to ensure all was done correctly.

BigAl1952
03-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Man I think I would had a hard time not raisin a whole bunch of hell and letting everyone in the dealership know how pissed off I wass seeing that. Al

shortleg0521
03-15-2016, 06:41 AM
I was going over my bike tonight (was lucky enough to have good weather yesterday for a ride) and I am one of the few here whom had a bad experience with the brake recall. No fault with mothership Honda... but problems with a local servicing dealership.

Tonight... I noticed that my top rear bleed fitting now is leaking brake fluid down the rear of the caliper. I didn't take a picture of it (I should have though since I have been documented all of this horrible experience with my dealer's work) because I did not have my camera with me and immediately started to wipe the brake fluid off of the caliper; and subsequently decided to back the top bleed fitting out; and re-torgue it back down to 4 ft pounds.

I am keeping my eye on it now. This is a brand new rear brake caliper that the dealer had to replace; since they "eff'ed" up the first one by ruining the threads for the lower bleeder fitting; which profoundly leaked after they did the rear brake master cylinder recall.

I am trying to remain optimistically hopeful that this top bleed fitting just was not tightened down to spec; and the brake fluid was just making it way past the threads. Although this was most certainly a fresh stream of fluid that was coating the rear of the caliper... I dunno....

Really getting perturbed about this shit. This is not rocket science. Should I now be calling some USA Honda customer service hotline?

I just want to ride my bike. Not to be constantly checking previous service work done by an "authorized" Honda dealership.

F*ck.

Will where in Maryland did you take your bike?
Maybe we should start a list by state which dealers are
doing the best and other kind of work.
shortleg

gregj
03-15-2016, 09:36 AM
I picked my new B up last night from the dealer. They had to do the brake recall before letting me have it. The salesman said there are different kits, ABS, nonABS, Cruise Control. I will check the bolts tonight.

BEIST
03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
I had the warranty work done last week at my local dealership - CycleMax in Honey Brook PA. They had the bike for a day and everything seems pretty much the same. My back brake might have just a little more bite but nothing noticeably dramatic. They have a great crew at CycleMax so it was a pleasurable experience for me - as usual.

willtill
03-17-2016, 06:07 AM
Been months since I had the shoddy recall work done by the local dealer. Yesterday I did a final check of all bleed fittings; none werer found to be weeping any fluid (finally). I think I am finally out of the woods.... :shhh:

Any further brake work (replacing pads, bleeding. etc) will be performed by myself. No way are they going to touch my bike again; unless it's another warranty/recall issue. :icon_rolleyes:

pilotguy299
03-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Will where in Maryland did you take your bike?
Maybe we should start a list by state which dealers are
doing the best and other kind of work.
shortleg

I've had good luck with Honda Powersports of Rockville, and Twigg in Hagerstown.

Not so much in FredNeck.

okiedoc
03-25-2016, 07:45 PM
Got the work done this morning, I set the appointment Tuesday after I got a card in the mail from Honda. They changed the fluid replaced the rear master cylinder no problems.

BuzzzPhotos
03-25-2016, 08:44 PM
I stopped last week in Durant, Oklahoma to make an appointment after I received my second notice from Honda. Another F6B owner was a no show for his appointment so they still had the parts & scheduled it for Tuesday. It was ready Wednesday morning. System was drained & rear cylinder replaced. Treated me great & did a great job.

ths61
03-25-2016, 09:05 PM
Just scheduled mine today, parts are on order. I asked if I was going to be their guinea pig and the service manager assured me they have already done @ 60 recalls of which 2 of them were actual lock ups. I haven't noticed any issues on mine in 25,000 miles.

Brewdog
03-26-2016, 05:34 AM
Dealer did my recall this week. Works well! Now I'm free to move about the country !

choptop
03-26-2016, 06:41 AM
Going on 3 weeks since my parts were ordered, no word, will have to call next week.

Sorcerer
03-26-2016, 09:47 AM
Going on 3 weeks since my parts were ordered, no word, will have to call next week.

Which dealer are you working with for your recall.

Richie
03-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Just had mine done and all seems well.

Richie

edgeman55
03-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Well my 13 F6B is in the shop awaiting parts for recall work and some warranty work I did not plan for.Was on a short ride yesterday coming down a mountain grade from Virginia City here in Northern Nevada.Coming around a long wide right sweeper I had engaged a little brake coming into the corner and low and behold the rear brake locked up on me.Needless to say I pooped my panties a little as the bike slide over across the lane to the other side-Thanks god no cars were coming in the other lane.I was pounding the peddle and thankfully the brake let loose or I was going over the side.I was able to get it to the dealer but the brake would pulsate and had no feel other then off or full on no matter how lightly I pulled the lever.Service manager said I am the 3rd Goldwing to have the brakes lock up.There Goldwing tech said I will get a new rear rotor and pads.Tech seemed to know the Wing platform really well.He has done 65 brake recalls so far.Now I have to wait for parts and Mother Honda to OK the warranty work.Plus they will flush the front end on there dime.I will pay a 1/2 hr labor for them to do the clutch so all will be on the same schedule.So I guess the moral of this story is yes the brakes can lock up-even on our beloved F6B's.

thunder217
03-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Work completed. What did they do, does anyone know. LOL

junkyarddog
03-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Mine is done as of yesterday. Rode 3 hours to El Campo to get it done and it is right.

choptop
03-28-2016, 04:11 PM
Which dealer are you working with for your recall.

St Croix Power Sports in New Richmond Wi. Said they had not done a F6b yet. Will probably to front drain and clutch drain and replace and check fluid in rear end.

choptop
03-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Called them yesterday to see about my parts, got the f'ing automated phone thing and ended up in service were I left a message, think they were closed but the system gave no indication.
Had not received a call back by 10am so I called back, told me he must have written my phone number down wrong cause he couldn't get a hold of me and needed my Vin number to order. I called back w/the vin and asked him what # he had for me and he read it off w/out me having to give it to him? Apparently forgot all about me and didn't fess up, I hope this is not a sign of things to come. $45.00 plus brake fluid to do front, $45.00 for clutch drain/refill, $85.00 to swap front tire to chrome rim. May make some calls

53driver
03-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Dropped Isleen off at Pensacola Motorsports today.
Her parts for recall were in - yes, for F6B and not Wing, and she'll get her 16,000 mile servicing, plus the 12,000 mile servicing of clutch and front brake fluids.
She's also getting new shoes.
They are also going to look at the silicon bubbles embedded in my paint job. These are not a result of wear - these are the result of improper painting procedures and processes.
In addition, they are going to check the radiator fans - the right one ( as I have mentioned in a past thread) seems to vibrate a lot more than anyone else's I have seen.

I also told them to go "stem to stern" and tell me if they thought anything else needed servicing.
Not that I will authorize them to do it - I just want to know.
Cheers,
steve

Ryleyboy
04-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Had the work done along with a new rear tire due to nail picked up. Dealer picked up and delivered for $50 which was good given snow on the ground. No chance to ride yet but hopefully soon.

zman
04-01-2016, 08:09 PM
I just picked up my bike and was very pleased that it only took one day for the repair since there were 13 bikes waiting for their recall work to be completed.

shortleg0521
04-07-2016, 10:47 AM
What difference dose it make if the bike has cruise control?
Just wondering where the connection is.
shortleg

willtill
04-07-2016, 10:56 AM
What difference dose it make if the bike has cruise control?
Just wondering where the connection is.
shortleg

In an operable sense, braking disengages the cruise control. Not sure if the components being replaced (rear master and secondary master cylinders) are any different from a non-ABS model...

53driver
04-07-2016, 10:43 PM
Dropped Isleen off at Pensacola Motorsports today.
Her parts for recall were in - yes, for F6B and not Wing, and she'll get her 16,000 mile servicing, plus the 12,000 mile servicing of clutch and front brake fluids.
She's also getting new shoes.
They are also going to look at the silicon bubbles embedded in my paint job. These are not a result of wear - these are the result of improper painting procedures and processes.
In addition, they are going to check the radiator fans - the right one ( as I have mentioned in a past thread) seems to vibrate a lot more than anyone else's I have seen.

I also told them to go "stem to stern" and tell me if they thought anything else needed servicing.
Not that I will authorize them to do it - I just want to know.
Cheers,
steve

Well, I got her back today and Pensacola Motorsports did a good job. No leaking, removed parts available for viewing, they were incredibly accommodating.
The rest of her "spa week" went fine, new tires (OEMs), 16,000 mile service including the clutch and front brake fluid drain & replace.
They gave me a military discount as well.

ths61
04-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Just got my brake recall done. My B was the wrench's 62nd recall service. Got to ride it home though the mountains in the rain to test out the new brakes.

The wrench said the new master cylinders have different valving and should work better than the originals. No problems to report so far. Will give it a once over later.

Donncat
04-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Got it done a couple weeks ago, no problems, Haps does a nice job:clap2:

edgeman55
04-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Well after my rear brake lockup fiasco I must give two thumbs up the Big Valley Honda in Reno,NV.It did take them a week and a half to get the recall parts but in there defense I was not a scheduled customer and they had just used there last F6B parts on another bike.The tech has done around 60 or so and has it down to a hour and a half.I also had him bleed the front brakes and clutch plus change out the coolant.Got all that done for 150.00 which I felt was fair.Everything was great and tight with no broken parts.I must say on the ride home the brakes feel much more positive and the rear peddle which always felt a little spongy is really good now.Again I am the 4th brake lockup this dealer has had over the last few years so even though it is rare it can happen and it is not fun when it does so if your on the fence about getting this recall done you have been warned:yikes:

DarkKnt
04-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Just had mine done at Carter Motorsports Vancouver. Took the tech 3 hours, start to finish. Brakes seemed fine before the work, but the front lever does feel firmer, more immediate now.

choptop
04-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Mine goes in on Thursday, weekend is supposed to finally be warm,

pickensf6b
04-11-2016, 09:18 PM
had my recall done on April 4th. Dealer where i bought bike didnt wanna fool with it .Took all my business north. Much better dealer

MisterB
04-11-2016, 09:55 PM
had my recall done on April 4th. Dealer where i bought bike didnt wanna fool with it .Took all my business north. Much better dealer
WTH?!?!
On the other hand: If this was their way of saying "I don't know how to do it correctly" then good for them for not mucking it up.
Seems like dealers are the weak link.

pickensf6b
04-12-2016, 10:21 PM
your probably right. I figured if they didnt wanna do something Honda was gonna pay em for I was not gonna give em anymore of my green backs

Rudy
04-13-2016, 08:14 PM
Picked mine up yesterday, all is good. The brakes feel very firm now. My dealer has done over 90 bikes so far with this recall.:shock:

choptop
04-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Waiting for a call to tell me it is done.

DaWadd
04-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Had mine done yesterday and all seems good. Funny thing is the front brake lever seems firmer. I did not ask but maybe they bled the front brakes too. Did not get much of a ride to test it out because of pouring rain. No broken parts either. :yes:

choptop
04-17-2016, 06:34 AM
Picked mine up on Friday and took a 220 mile ride, all seems well and the xtra bling looks nice,

wildman
04-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Was notified by honda via mail. work was done satisfactorily.

Hondaholic
04-27-2016, 01:10 PM
I had mine done 3 days ago, i waited months for warm weather and it seemed the techs were more up on procedure now. The dealer said max 2.5 hours and it took only 1.5. I did make an appt. and they never asked for anything ( letter ) I rode home 75 miles with no issues. i did ask what was done, replaced master cylinder and fluid. peace of mind.

Pete

98valk
04-27-2016, 01:59 PM
I had mine done 3 days ago, i waited months for warm weather and it seemed the techs were more up on procedure now. The dealer said max 2.5 hours and it took only 1.5. I did make an appt. and they never asked for anything ( letter ) I rode home 75 miles with no issues. i did ask what was done, replaced master cylinder and fluid. peace of mind.

Pete

I am pretty sure that they are supposed to replace the rear master cylinder and the secondary master cylinder. :shrug:

I am scheduled for May 20th and am dreading them touching my bike. I'll be removing all necessary plastic before hand and marking the parts to be replaced and hope for the best. :yikes:

Paulsperling
04-28-2016, 04:55 AM
Had recall work done in 4 hrs,lowville sport and farm honda ....good dealership

greyhaired
05-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Recieved my notice in January. Called Honda in Rapid City, SD and was told the part had to be ordered. They did and it arrived in 4 days. Then it snowed for the next two weeks so on a clear warmer day I called and the service man said bring it in now. So I did. 5 hours later I picked it up and all was good. I asked if they had any left over parts and they looked in a box and answered 'no'. I was told they had completed many and were experts on the job now. Thanks Honda guys! :icon_lol:

wabo100
05-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Not having any problems with my bike bled the brakes today with motul 5.1 and installed speed bleeders.Should I take it in for the recall?After reading some of the experiences on this board is it even necessary?Would you take it in?

Jimmytee
05-05-2016, 08:46 PM
If you don't you will have trouble.

I'm not sure I'd put money on that.

I had mine done, but the mechanic said, the only one's he believes ever have an issue are bikes that spend a lot of time decorating someone's garage instead of being ridden.

Jimmytee
05-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Ask edgeman55 Jimmy. He can tell you what might happen. You never tell anyone to ignore a federally mandated safety recall. Anybody that chooses to ignore it is foolish in my book. That's just my opinion.

:icon_doh:

WHere did I tell anyone to ignore it???? :banghead:

I specifically said I had the recall done. I just relayed the message that the mechanic said the only one's he has seen to have any issues are bikes that spend time sitting. He has done a LOT of recalls.

F6Dave
05-05-2016, 09:48 PM
:icon_doh:

WHere did I tell anyone to ignore it???? :banghead:

I specifically said I had the recall done. I just relayed the message that the mechanic said the only one's he has seen to have any issues are bikes that spend time sitting. He has done a LOT of recalls.

I heard the same thing as Jimmy. The service manager at a dealership I trust told me most of the affected Wings were in climates where bikes were stored for the winter, like parts of the mid-west. I ride mine every month of the year. I plan to get the work done in the next few months. But I'm not alarmed and will ride until then.

I also look at the bigger picture. This defect existed when the GL1800 was introduced over 15 years ago, but it took years before the problems began to surface. There have been something like 145,000 GL1800s built, while only about 500 have had the dragging brake problem. That's 1/3 of one percent. Yes, I want the recall done, but I'll keep this in perspective.

wabo100
05-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Took it in today to have it done hopefully it all goes well suppose to get it back tomorrow.....thanks for the replies I agree with the both of you.

Retired Army
05-06-2016, 09:11 PM
My B has been triked and the breaks were delinked in the insulation. When I went to the counter all that was said is because it is it a trike it will take 3 hours. I also had the Avon Cobra Trike front tire installed which is a nicer ride than the Michelin Pilot rear tire mounted on the front. Consider me recalled.

wabo100
05-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Got it back today they changed the mc set and bled the brakes feels good.

Fla_rider
05-07-2016, 06:19 PM
You got off easy. Here's my list, the dealership will remain unnamed

After brake recall I noticed the plastic piece below the key plastic thingy was not straight. Told and waited about 3 weeks to do Air Filter and what the heck let them do the oil change. Little to my knowledge they were trying out a new mechanic on my bike. I left the 6 there on a Saturday morning, the service tech said no problem it should be ready around 4. At 4 I call, and the bike isn't ready. The tech said he'd call back in 10 minutes. At 5 I headed to the dealership knowing they would close at 6. There're closed on Sunday and I needed the bike for work on Monday. They finally finish the bike after closing around 7pm. They give me the bike and say was that engine light on before? Duh! Don't worry about it come by after work on Monday and we'll reconnect the cable. Monday after work I arrive at 3:30. Still there at 6pm again. I drive home thinking everything is ok. Next morning Tuesday on the way to work at 5:15 I noticed it was a little dark. No Low beams! Drive back to dealership super pissed. They give me a slower black f6, less than 1/2 mile for the dealership, I damn near get hit. Another good reason not to buy black! Anyways end of day, return to the dealership everything appears to be working...story's not over. On the way home I didn't like the sound coming out of the left speaker. That friday I removed the grill to find a hole in my left speaker cause by the tech not placing the waterproof covering back over the tweeter, and forcing the grill assembly back on. I email pictures of the broken speaker to the dealership. When the speaker was in I returned and talked to the GM. Told him I lost confidence in his maintenance department. He found out I was picking up the speaker and said he'd take care of replacing it. I abruptly told him "no he isn't" and I would do it myself for fear of have something more broken.

All this started with the recall.

deacon
05-07-2016, 07:21 PM
the brakes on my b work flawlessly, great stopping power, rotors are always cool to touch, no drag whatsoever,why would I let some kid mess with perfection?

Gerard
05-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Listen to my story.

I called the Honda Dealer that I bought my bike from back in February about the recall. They said that they were so backed up on that recall that I could not schedule an appointment for the recall and that they would place my name on a list and call when they when they could get me in.

I called them 2 weeks ago to ask the status and they told me that they still didn't know when they would be calling me.

I called another bike shop that sells and services multiple manufactures, including Honda's. They told me to bring my bike in the same week. They had about 12 bikes in the shop at that time for the recall and they would put me in line. They said I should get my bike back this week. That would be a total of 2 weeks. They said they had already done about 200 bikes for the recall.

My exclusive Honda dealer still has not called me. Needless to say, I will not be going back to them FOR ANYTHING, if I can help it.

lloydmoore1
05-08-2016, 12:18 PM
had mine done last week
Dropped it off the day before and picked it up the next day. no problems they even had the bike cleaned up,not that it was dirty but made sure there was greasy hand prints.
At first the breaks were squishy and I thought I may have to take it back but I remembered reading a post here about putting a weight on the brake and letting it set overnight. Did that and after a day of riding the brakes are good to go.

willtill
05-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Listen to my story.

I called the Honda Dealer that I bought my bike from back in February about the recall. They said that they were so backed up on that recall that I could not schedule an appointment for the recall and that they would place my name on a list and call when they when they could get me in.

I called them 2 weeks ago to ask the status and they told me that they still didn't know when they would be calling me.

I called another bike shop that sells and services multiple manufactures, including Honda's. They told me to bring my bike in the same week. They had about 12 bikes in the shop at that time for the recall and they would put me in line. They said I should get my bike back this week. That would be a total of 2 weeks. They said they had already done about 200 bikes for the recall.

My exclusive Honda dealer still has not called me. Needless to say, I will not be going back to them FOR ANYTHING, if I can help it.

Name the dealers. Curious if it parallels my experience with them.

wabo100
05-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Spoke to soon took the fender and caliper covers off and one of the screws for the secondary mc was ready to fall out. Hard to find good help these days I guess.

willtill
05-10-2016, 06:12 AM
Spoke to soon took the fender and caliper covers off and one of the screws for the secondary mc was ready to fall out. Hard to find good help these days I guess.

This is why it is so important for everyone to pop off covers and check fasteners, look at the bleeders for leakage; and check the work that was done.

I know a lot of folks "think" they had no issues with the performed recall; but I would wager that some; if not quite a few.... have shortcomings and they are not aware of it.

You may Trust your dealer... but Validate their work. Your own life (and maybe your significant other) is dependent on the brake system work that was performed.

tinkerman
05-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Had my 2013 in today for the recall at one of the "all product" Honda centers.....cars, bikes, generators, ATV's......anything Honda sells. other option was a 4 hour ride to our capitol city for the service. These folks indicated they had done six 1800's previously for the recall and seemed knowledgeable about the situation when I mentioned several of the concerns people had brought up here. Bike seems to be working OK as I drove it the 30 miles back from the service center....will have a closer look at fasteners and such over the next few days.

tink

pickensace
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Had my 2013 done yesterday by Schroader's Honda. Excellent service, even came back after hours to let me pick it up. 40 miles home, brakes seemed even better than before. Very pleased. After a lot of what I have been hearing, I am lucky to have a good dealer close by. :clap2:

shooter
05-13-2016, 11:03 AM
This is why it is so important for everyone to pop off covers and check fasteners, look at the bleeders for leakage; and check the work that was done.

I know a lot of folks "think" they had no issues with the performed recall; but I would wager that some; if not quite a few.... have shortcomings and they are not aware of it.

You may Trust your dealer... but Validate their work. Your own life (and maybe your significant other) is dependent on the brake system work that was performed.

+1 Just remember it doesn't matter whose name is on the door. The repair is only as good as the tech that does the job.

seadog
05-13-2016, 12:12 PM
I have put about 225 miles on since the recall was done and brakes are working as before. I still think you should be cautious for a while and checking the brake before you need to stop. Air bubbles that get trapped in the system can work their way out and cause a lack of braking as much as a week later. I will continue to double check the brakes a couple of hundred feet prior to needing them at a stop just to be on the safe side.

khahn
05-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Just had mine done this week. Dropped it off Monday at the dealer for recall and 4,000 mile service. He said it would be done in 3 to 5 days. 3 days later it was done, rides the same, looks the same, I'm happy.

CheesyRider
06-08-2016, 05:56 PM
I got mine back from the dealer after dropping it off yesterday. I was satisfied with the actual recall work, but the rest of the experience could have been better.

I dropped it off at 10am and was told they would call me when it was done. They thought it would be done about noon. I never got a call, so about 2pm I called then and got voicemail. At 2:45pm I called again and was told they were still working on it and it would be done at 3:30pm. I had other stuff to do, so I told them I'd pick it up when they open in the morning.

So, the next morning I show up and they tell me it's not done. After I explained that it was supposed to be done at noon yesterday, the guy at the counter did some more digging and realized he had me mixed up with another customer with my same name (I do have a common name).

I took the bike for a ride and noticed the foot brake was set lower than when I brought the bike in. No big deal as it's easy to adjust and it proves to me they actually did work on the bike. Then when I got the bike home I noticed a scuff on the seat that wasn't there when I dropped off the bike.

It could have been much worse, but I'm in no hurry to bring my bike back there again.

CheesyRider
06-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Today I discovered that they did screw one thing up with my recall work. The brake light was intermittently getting stuck on after the rear brake pedal was depressed. It seems they didn't properly adjust the switch. It was simple to fix. I just loosened two screws and re-positioned the switch bracket. Now all is well.

I did some googling and it seems several people have had the same problem after the recall. Be sure to check that your brake light is working properly after the recall is performed!

53driver
06-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Today I discovered that they did screw one thing up with my recall work. The brake light was intermittently getting stuck on after the rear brake pedal was depressed. It seems they didn't properly adjust the switch. It was simple to fix. I just loosened two screws and re-positioned the switch bracket. Now all is well.

I did some googling and it seems several people have had the same problem after the recall. Be sure to check that your brake light is working properly after the recall is performed!

I'll add that to the "new to me" owner list.
Thanks!

smiley
06-30-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm the second owner of my B. Called American Honda and they said I need no paperwork to have the recall done. Called my local dealer and they told me the same thing. Just need to schedule an appointment.

98valk
07-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Well, I tried - twice - to get this service done.

The first time, they lost my appointment (May 20th).

Today, when I arrived, my appointment was canceled!

This is the Dealer who bent a rotor one time and then gouged my chrome rim on my Valk another time. Both while changing a tire.

I have really been dreading getting this done. I'm taking it as a sign. No recall service for me. I'll takes my chances.

BTW - R & S Honda on Wyoming.

edgeman55
07-21-2016, 02:33 PM

This is the Dealer who bent a rotor one time and then gouged my chrome rim on my Valk another time. Both while changing a tire.

I have really been dreading getting this done. I'm taking it as a sign. No recall service for me. I'll takes my chances.

BTW - R & S Honda on Wyoming.

Sorry to hear your dealer sucks but I would rethink not doing it as if your brakes lock up it's no fun.Mine locked up on the rear and lucky me I was 8 Miles from my local dealer.The tech at Reno Honda that did mine was great.He has done over 100 recalls and I must say after the work was done my brakes feel better then when I picked up the bike new.Not all Honda dealers suck-find one you can live with and get this done for your own safety.

robrm250
09-12-2016, 10:13 PM

BTW - R & S Honda on Wyoming.i understand how you feel,I had mine done it took the dealership 2 months though I told them I had another bike to ride.The thing that bugs me the most is that I now find out they let my bike sit outside for the whole time,I am still trying to dry out my seat plus polishing surface rust off passenger floor boards plus replacing a couple ram mount screws because of rust.I keep my bike clean and polished kept in garage plus bring cover for trips,it just pisses me off they left my bike out plus it cost them a $9,000 dirtbike sale.I bought the bike I was going to buy local from them 75 miles away for the same amount because the thought of my bike just sitting out pisses me off,I will never do business with them again.

willtill
09-13-2016, 04:37 AM
i understand how you feel,I had mine done it took the dealership 2 months though I told them I had another bike to ride.The thing that bugs me the most is that I now find out they let my bike sit outside for the whole time,I am still trying to dry out my seat plus polishing surface rust off passenger floor boards plus replacing a couple ram mount screws because of rust.I keep my bike clean and polished kept in garage plus bring cover for trips,it just pisses me off they left my bike out plus it cost them a $9,000 dirtbike sale.I bought the bike I was going to buy local from them 75 miles away for the same amount because the thought of my bike just sitting out pisses me off,I will never do business with them again.

That scenario would've pissed me off as well. Hope you let them know they lost your business with the dirt bike purchase.

1951vbs
09-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Finally got it done at 69,540 miles. Everything was working fine before and after service. Did not realize how involved the process was though. Great dealer service: "Champions Honda" Cocoa FL

98valk
09-13-2016, 06:56 PM
i understand how you feel,I had mine done it took the dealership 2 months though I told them I had another bike to ride.The thing that bugs me the most is that I now find out they let my bike sit outside for the whole time,I am still trying to dry out my seat plus polishing surface rust off passenger floor boards plus replacing a couple ram mount screws because of rust.I keep my bike clean and polished kept in garage plus bring cover for trips,it just pisses me off they left my bike out plus it cost them a $9,000 dirtbike sale.I bought the bike I was going to buy local from them 75 miles away for the same amount because the thought of my bike just sitting out pisses me off,I will never do business with them again.

Wow, that really sucks!! :no:

It's like taking our bikes into the Dealer is the same as leaving them in Biker Prison. Where the Warden and inmates can do what they want with it. And the Warden at R & S Honda is a bad one.

Still no recall work for me. I'll just change the fluid periodically. My bike is still a virgin, and doesn't want to go to prison. :yikes:

Wing'n it
09-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Since my bike died and it's in for that repair I decided to let them do the recall. I told them I was reluctant to have it done for the reasons all listed here and it's working flawlessly but they said it was best to get it done since Honda did notify me it placed the responsibility back on me if anything went wrong. I will report back when its back in my hands.

robrm250
09-16-2016, 03:36 PM
That scenario would've pissed me off as well. Hope you let them know they lost your business with the dirt bike purchase.they will know when they see me at the Sera enduro this weekend and yes it does feel like I left my bike at biker prison and it was abused not that you mention it.

grendl
09-16-2016, 06:47 PM
I had the recall done in June I think. While there were no loose or missing parts and the schedule was met I first noticed a chattering feel when the rears were applied. That went along with a clunk or bump occasionally when both brakes were applied.( I mean it clunked occasionally,I use both brakes most of the time)
I took it back,they cleaned the rears remove and spray the pads (which looked good,still fat and not glazed) and I thought it was good. Then I take a ride to Billings and the clunking (occasionally) is back. It feels like it is coming from the front of the bike.
I hate to have to keep bugging them but this is about brakes.
I also saw a post in the Wing World magazine this month in the tech Q&A and the advice was simply to take it back.
Any ideas on this? It seems I have seen this issue mentioned before .Bike had no problems before the recall work other than the rears squealed when they were used heavily and got hot.

F6Dave
05-12-2017, 09:48 AM
I got mine done last November when the dealer wasn't busy. I called the night before to make sure they could start right away when they opened. I was there at 8 AM and it was done in less than 3 hours.

I was lucky to choose a dealer that had done over 1,400 of the recalls. They claimed that was more than any dealer in the country. All that experience let them improve on the Honda procedure in some areas. I've looked and can't see they did done wrong.