PDA

View Full Version : High Vis. Gear

Greg O
12-10-2015, 05:42 PM
I was wondering how many out there wears High Vis. Gear, weather it be a helmet, jacket, pants or all. Do you wear it only at night or all the time.

F6bisnext
12-10-2015, 06:21 PM
I wear a hi viz jacket on night rides and sometimes during the day. I also found some glow in the dark black tape that I put on my helmet for additional visibility. I prefer perforated leather, but it doesnt' have the visibility I would prefer at night, especially on a black bike.

willtill
12-10-2015, 06:28 PM
I always wear a white helmet. A white helmet seems to be most visible in all weather conditions.

I wear an Olympia High visibility mesh jacket in almost all of the seasons; except in the summer if I am riding very close to home (store and back, or just tooling around the neighborhood). Probably when I'm going to get hit. :shhh:

F6bisnext
12-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Remember, we are free to wear whatever we want because we are NOT riding Harleys!!

2015F6B
12-10-2015, 06:53 PM
I wear Hi-Viz 100% of the time. Depends on the climate / weather as to what I wear. I have a vest (similar to what construction workers wear), a First Gear mesh jacket for warm weather and a First Gear cold weather jacket - all Hi-Viz yellow. The bottom line . . I want to be seen. The first thing a cager will say after he hits a motorcycle - "I didn't see him". I see a lot of Harley riders (and others too), dressed in black almost like they're trying to camouflage themselves on the road - I can only shake my head when I see this. My advice, wear Hi-Viz clothing and dress like you want to be seen - it may not be cool but it could save your bacon.

pdxstriper
12-10-2015, 07:29 PM
I wear Hi-Viz 100% of the time. Depends on the climate / weather as to what I wear. I have a vest (similar to what construction workers wear), a First Gear mesh jacket for warm weather and a First Gear cold weather jacket - all Hi-Viz yellow. The bottom line . . I want to be seen. The first thing a cager will say after he hits a motorcycle - "I didn't see him". I see a lot of Harley riders (and others too), dressed in black almost like they're trying to camouflage themselves on the road - I can only shake my head when I see this. My advice, wear Hi-Viz clothing and dress like you want to be seen - it may not be cool but it could save your bacon.

+1

Advice from a friend: assume half the vehicles can't see you and the other half are trying to kill you.

Retired Army
12-10-2015, 07:30 PM

wjduke
12-10-2015, 07:31 PM
My gear isn't high viz, but it is gray with reflective piping. I did want a bike with dual headlights and with the mirrors lit also, this bike was high on the list. I did want a brighter color, but that didn't happen. I got hit last year from being invisible....and that was with an HID headlamp, brake light modulator, and a Guardian bell. Not into those items so much anymore. I will end with this... ATGATT

F6Dave
12-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Remember, we are free to wear whatever we want because we are NOT riding Harleys!!

That's interesting. I was having dinner with a friend and his wife (neither are riders) a few years ago and she made a similar comment. She referred to Harley riders as 'a million individuals -- all dressed alike'.

shooter
12-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Duke , did you put a bell on this new bike?

Ridlikhel
12-10-2015, 10:10 PM

+2 Cool is, being alive!

hardtail
12-10-2015, 10:12 PM

We can still dress like pirates if we want to, right?

shooter
12-10-2015, 10:19 PM
We can still dress like pirates if we want to, right?

Absolutely !!

F6B1911
12-10-2015, 10:37 PM
I wear a Conspicuity vest, never leave home without it.

wjduke
12-11-2015, 05:27 AM
Duke , did you put a bell on this new bike?

No, don't have one shooter. It's supposed to be gifted to you anyway....part of the lore. I suppose it worked since I'm here, right? I did what I could and still wasn't seen. That HID lamp was bright as anything could be. Because of this thread, I might do more than I have so far. Maybe a simple vest over the jacket. Looking cool should be secondary. I like that vest above me ^

F6bisnext
12-11-2015, 06:30 AM
Where can yo buy that particular vest?

Fla_rider
12-11-2015, 07:01 AM
I wear a high viz modular helmet with flashing light on the back for foggy days!

CopperMike
12-11-2015, 04:40 PM
First Gear high viz vest, so I can wear it over my leather or textile, depending on the weather.

Phaedrus
12-11-2015, 07:04 PM
I wear a hi-viz HJC Sy-Max III modular helmet all the time.

Paul B Blues
12-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Yes I ride with my Hi-Viz skull jacket. The skulls are reflective and do a great job in low light.

Old Ryder
12-13-2015, 08:51 AM
But I like to be seen. I have added the LED low beams, 960s, and LED running lights for the front. I have added the extra 4 red LED turn signal kit, Hiperlights, strip LEDs on the mirrors just in case they miss the OEM turn signals, strobe added brake light and the Superbrite LED brake light bulbs bulbs that flash as the brake light. If they can't see that, then there is not much hope.

BTW---with my Harleys it was about adding chrome. With the B, it is about adding lights.

Paul B Blues
12-13-2015, 11:19 AM
But I like to be seen. I have added the LED low beams, 960s, and LED running lights for the front. I have added the extra 4 red LED turn signal kit, Hiperlights, strip LEDs on the mirrors just in case they miss the OEM turn signals, strobe added brake light and the Superbrite LED brake light bulbs bulbs that flash as the brake light. If they can't see that, then there is not much hope.

BTW---with my Harleys it was about adding chrome. With the B, it is about adding lights.

Looks fantastic, love the lights.'all/right'

Greg O
12-13-2015, 02:56 PM
I just received in the mail on Friday a Hi Vis. Tourmaster Transitions 3 jacket, my Christmas gift from my wife. I really wanted the black version of this jacket, but there was none to be found in my size 3xl. I did though come across the Hi Vis. version in 3xl at a seal of a deal, so I said what the hell I'll see if I like Hi Vis. Well let me say this is a really nice 3 season jacket and the Hi Vis. Is the way to go. If the cagers don't see me now they shouldn't be driving.

edgeman55
12-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Sometimes I wear this jacket.It does stand out against my fastest Black F6B.

firetech
12-17-2015, 09:40 PM

I TRY to wear both all the time but it does get a bit hot here in FL every now and then. :icon_biggrin:

cosborn
12-18-2015, 02:30 PM
I've gone back to a fluro vest over my riding jacket, I guess it's a mental thing to get over (looking like an electric strawberry) but i'm getting too old not to take every advantage, and there are too many idiots in tin tops on our roads these days.

Chris

vmaxed
12-18-2015, 06:19 PM
I wear a reflective white helmet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/Helmets/2014-06-26%2015.43.25_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/Helmets/2014-06-26%2015.45.29.jpg

Ed.. "coffee"

willtill
12-18-2015, 06:53 PM
I wear a reflective white helmet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/Helmets/2014-06-26%2015.43.25_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v54/enorton/Helmets/2014-06-26%2015.45.29.jpg

Ed.. "coffee"

GOOD stuff! :yes: I like that.

Bagger
01-04-2016, 09:19 AM
I think I have 12 helmets ... 3 are yellow. I wear the yellow helmets most of the time (I always wear a helmet). And, I have several yellow, or light colored leather and textile jackets that I wear.

I have extremely bright LED driving lights from EC and an additional very bright running/brake/blinker LED from Whelen above the license plate on the rear. I like both a great deal.

Even when I'm on the HD Street Glide, I wear my yellow helmets. Plus, I have LED BIGHT amber running lights on that beast as well as LEDs on the back. All from Custom Dynamics. Great stuff!

coffee_weasle
01-04-2016, 10:30 AM
My gear isn't high viz, but it is gray with reflective piping. I did want a bike with dual headlights and with the mirrors lit also, this bike was high on the list. I did want a brighter color, but that didn't happen. I got hit last year from being invisible....and that was with an HID headlamp, brake light modulator, and a Guardian bell. Not into those items so much anymore. I will end with this... ATGATT

the longer i'm on a metric, the more i'm getting away from riding "naked".

i rarely drink any more, no reason to help people run me down.

and since you can "wrap" a bike in led's, it doesn't seem to matter, people will still NOT see you.

time to graduate to ATGATT

wjduke
01-04-2016, 10:57 AM
I think I have 12 helmets ... 3 are yellow. I wear the yellow helmets most of the time (I always wear a helmet). And, I have several yellow, or light colored leather and textile jackets that I wear.

I have extremely bright LED driving lights from EC and an additional very bright running/brake/blinker LED from Whelen above the license plate on the rear. I like both a great deal.

Even when I'm on the HD Street Glide, I wear my yellow helmets. Plus, I have LED BIGHT amber running lights on that beast as well as LEDs on the back. All from Custom Dynamics. Great stuff!
Maybe we'll cross path's someday. Have a good friend I ride with in Old Saybrooke...I will have a safety vest soon! I love CT roads!

and since you can "wrap" a bike in led's, it doesn't seem to matter, people will still NOT see you.

I actually regressed to a half helmet due to vibration issues with my full face, but I'm all about gear.

Joel S.
04-09-2016, 11:57 PM
One of the times I rode up to MN I wore my "standard biker attire"... Black Leather chaps, Black Leather jacket, Black leather gloves..
Then I came into a major DOWNPOUR and literally no decent plact to pull over and toss on the rain-suit. The shoulders were un-paved with LARGE rock and no bridges so I just rode on. I FINALLY got to a gas station and was able to put the rain suit on, but by then I was SOAKED through and through. When I got to my destination it took about 3 DAYS for my leathers to fully dry out, and that was putting them out in the sun for those days! It was then I decided, "Screw that!" and started looking into textiles. I ended up with a Hi-Vis Tourmaster Transitions jacket and overpants. LOVE THEM!!!! Looks like rain? Just start closing zippers!
And the Hi-Vis part? Well a friend of mine noticed the BRIGHT YELLOW "M&M" on the dual sport bike BEFORE they even saw the bike.
Yep! I'm wearing them!

Joel S.

Bob Penn
04-10-2016, 06:26 AM
Remember the good old days when you went into a bike shop/dealer and saw gears, chains, and other bike parts. Now I go into a shop and I feel like I'm attending a fashion show. Of course the dealers know the mark up on clothing is a lot higher then on parts. Do you think that has anything to do with it?
But I still wear my yellow striped underwear for safety. Does that count.

stevenolts
04-10-2016, 06:50 AM
wiltil

Where did you get the Goldwing sticker for your helmet? (is it reflective)

I am stupid and wear almost all black with reflective panels. The Goldwing sticker on the helmet would help.
Steve

willtill
04-10-2016, 07:56 AM
wiltil

Steve, not my helmet. it's Vmaxed's (Ed's) helmet... I just quoted his post above...

vmaxed
04-10-2016, 10:34 AM
wiltil

I am stupid and wear almost all black with reflective panels. The Goldwing sticker on the helmet would help.
Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-3-9-Inch-Helmet-Decals-For-Honda-Goldwing-Rider-GW-9-/131759824516

eBay... Google reflective helmet stickers (it is reflective) :icon_wink:

Az Wingrider
04-10-2016, 11:13 AM
I have two high viz modular helmets a G-max with the light on the back and a Shoei Neotek. I like the protection of a full face or modular helmet and it's all about being seen. I also wear a high viz First Year Kilamanjaro jacket. I admit that occasionally I ride locally without the jacket but on the highways and on trips it I am always with full gear and high viz

Rudy
04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
I switched to High Vis gear last year. I wear an Olympia hi vis jacket and my Scorpion helmet has a hi vis design on it. I am convinced without a doubt that it makes a difference. Last riding season I had fewer cagers roll out in front of me, cut me off, and some actually showed some courtesy and waved me on through at intersections. :yikes: I"m a believer.

VStarRider
04-11-2016, 05:41 AM
My cager friend took me to pick up my bike back in October. I rode behind him on the way back home, at dusk. He said that the running lights on the mirrors made the bike much more visible than other motorcycles that have ridden behind him.

I think it helps make the bike look wider, too. Research shows that cagers often look past narrow bikes with single lights because they blend in with the car behind them.

That being said, I debated for months about getting the Hi-Vis version of the Schuberth helmet. I ended up going with the flat black and sometimes I kick myself for that.

I do plan to get a high vis jacket or vest sometime soon, plus add the lower fog lights and doing something out back to expand the running lights to the turn signal lamps.

wjduke
04-11-2016, 07:30 AM
I'm in your mindset. I wanted a light colored bike even, but got what I got because I was hard up for a bike. I went hi viz on a vest, then recently purchased a summer jacket with hi viz accents. Even bought a pair of hi viz gloves. With the lighting the bike provides, I hope to be good to go at this point.

willtill
04-11-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm in your mindset. I wanted a light colored bike even, but got what I got because I was hard up for a bike. I went hi viz on a vest, then recently purchased a summer jacket with hi viz accents. Even bought a pair of hi viz gloves. With the lighting the bike provides, I hope to be good to go at this point.

Lowes has these for CHEAP:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_495718-55012-13008_0__?storeNumber=2594&store_code=2594&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=

I wear them when riding my (pedal) bike. Could work as well with a motorcycle

wjduke
04-11-2016, 09:32 AM
I got these...

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-anthem-gloves

VStarRider
04-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Lowes has these for CHEAP:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_495718-55012-13008_0__?storeNumber=2594&store_code=2594&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=

I wear them when riding my (pedal) bike. Could work as well with a motorcycle

Hmmm. Will they offer sufficient protection from road rash...in the event that unfortunate incident occurs...

willtill
04-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Hmmm. Will they offer sufficient protection from road rash...in the event that unfortunate incident occurs...

Some protection. Leather on the palms. All leather work gloves would be better of course... but the one I mentioned are particularly for high visibility.

Retired Army
04-11-2016, 10:55 AM

3956 I tried.

Patch
04-11-2016, 01:25 PM
I ride atgatt 95% of the time, the 5% being a difference in whether or not I'm wearing armor beneath my jean or riding with leathers over them.

The only hi-vis item I wear is a Hit-Air Airbag vest. I bought one after visiting a friend of mine in a hospital, last year, where a front tire blowout threw him high-side off his bike at 60mph. The pavement ate the knees of his jeans up and he got pretty nasty roadrash (plus a cracked kneecap) from it but only bruised the palms of his hands and no damage to his head or core. He was wearing one of these vests and likened it to falling and sliding on an air mattress.