PDA

View Full Version : First accessory for the new bike.

RobertBasil
12-11-2015, 01:00 AM
Not much of an accessory, but it's my first. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get a USB connection in the front cubby. Coming from a sportbike background I have no clue how to add electronics to the bike. Any easy step by step instructions / parts?

http://i.imgur.com/noF6Ial.png

chipmaker
12-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Watch that x-cradle, I had one of the rubbers come off and almost lost my phone. I have read about others who have hit big bumps and had their phone fall...

RobertBasil
12-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Watch that x-cradle, I had one of the rubbers come off and almost lost my phone. I have read about others who have hit big bumps and had their phone fall...

Thanks for the heads up, if I'm not happy with it this weekend I'll try another holder. Gotta love Amazon returns (if needed). :)

Fla_rider
12-11-2015, 07:15 AM
I have the same set up, defender and RAM mount. I did lose a rubber thingy, don't know when but not the phone. I ordered an extra set of rubber thingies. I ran power out of the left cubby after filing a slot in the rim of the cubby, but I'm not really happy with that. I may be looking at running a cable out of the bottom of the cubby and up through the left handlebar cover. One problem with that is Apple doesn't like it too much when you mess with their power cords. Too bad RAM doesn't make a Iphone holder that has a power jack. :banghead:

RobertBasil
12-11-2015, 09:52 AM
What type of cable did you use to get power and where did you connect it?

Chas
12-11-2015, 11:59 AM
Here is a site I buy from a lot. They seem to be the cheapest and they excel at customer service. If you go there, they have an F6B tab, but check the Gl1800 too, as some stuff that will work is there also. Good luck.

http://cyclemax.com/home

Steve 0080
12-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Glue the rubbers on! I have never had an issue...I don't use a security cover ...

pdxstriper
12-11-2015, 09:38 PM
I have the same set up, defender and RAM mount. I did lose a rubber thingy, don't know when but not the phone. I ordered an extra set of rubber thingies. I ran power out of the left cubby after filing a slot in the rim of the cubby, but I'm not really happy with that. I may be looking at running a cable out of the bottom of the cubby and up through the left handlebar cover. One problem with that is Apple doesn't like it too much when you mess with their power cords. Too bad RAM doesn't make a Iphone holder that has a power jack. :banghead:

The cigarette lighter plug in the left side cubby gives you 12V close to where you want it. Pull out the cubby and mount a USB plug to the front of the cubby. Note this is outside of the cubby storage area and forward of the cubby. There is lots of room. Wire the USB plug in parallel to the cig power plug. Now run the wire out and up the handlebars. Simple and clean.

shooter
12-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Use the plug and play 12v receptacle available from wingstuff , you have to drill a hole in the cubby then buy a plug in USB port from Griffin for the receptacle.

RobertBasil
12-11-2015, 11:38 PM
So under the left cubby hole is a plug that I can plug a cigarette lighter plug into and then use an adapter to turn the cigarette plug into a USB port?

Anyone have any photos of under the cubby and a links to the cigarette lighter plug to attach to it?

pdxstriper
12-12-2015, 02:24 AM
So under the left cubby hole is a plug that I can plug a cigarette lighter plug into and then use an adapter to turn the cigarette plug into a USB port?

Anyone have any photos of under the cubby and a links to the cigarette lighter plug to attach to it?

The cig lighter adapter is available from a few vendors. below is a link to Wingstuffs offering:

http://wingstuff.com/products/3622-fairing-power-plug-socket-for-gl1800

Pop the 4 pins, rip off the side trim, and the cubby pops out. You will find the connector sitting there all lonely and the plug on the cig adapter plugs right in. On the inside front angled side of the cubby is an X (or some other mark, I can't exactly remember). Drill the hole there (I think its a 7/8" hole). Mount the cig adapter and you now have power in your cubby.

What i was suggesting above was to patch in to the connection at the cig adapter and power a small USB unit in parallel at the cig adapter. That would avoid tying up the cubby and drilling a chase for the wire to run to power the handlebar mounted phone. Either way works fine. Enjoy.

RobertBasil
12-12-2015, 09:23 AM
Now I understand. Thanks!

RobertBasil
12-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Just ordered the adapter. Thanks for the link!

Big Cat
12-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Not much of an accessory, but it's my first. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get a USB connection in the front cubby. Coming from a sportbike background I have no clue how to add electronics to the bike. Any easy step by step instructions / parts?

http://i.imgur.com/noF6Ial.png

Are you wanting to install the USB port in the cubby so you can power your handle-bar mounted phone? There may be better options...

You can buy a USB pigtail, zip-tie to your handlebar, then connect back to the battery, or preferably to a switched terminal connection of a fuse-block, such as a PC-8 or comparable.

You might also consider the option of mounting all your accessories on a farkle shelf and getting them off your handlebars...