PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With This Picture?

SimonTemplar
12-11-2015, 03:44 AM
I just happened to notice something whilst looking at photos of various members' rides.

I purchased my '15 B Dlx just three weeks back.....

Now...what I have noticed is the weld seam on the frame directly above the drivers' left footpeg in this pic. On other pictures, there is some sort of cover trim piece over that seam. The welds on both the left and right sides of my bike are bare and open.

Did mine somehow get missed....or did they stop doing this on later models?

....sT

wjduke
12-11-2015, 05:36 AM
I just happened to notice something whilst looking at photos of various members' rides.

Now...what I have noticed is the weld seam on the frame directly above the drivers' left footpeg in this pic. On other pictures, there is some sort of cover trim piece over that seam. The welds on both the left and right sides of my bike are bare and open.

....sT

Same on mine...it was called out by a guy at work looking at the bike. He wondered why they would leave it looking like that. Doesn't bother me at the moment. Can't see it while I'm riding!

F6B1911
12-11-2015, 05:37 AM
I believe they eliminated the weld covers to save weight.

willtill
12-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Same on mine...it was called out by a guy at work looking at the bike. He wondered why they would leave it looking like that. Doesn't bother me at the moment. Can't see it while I'm riding!

Same here. It is a clean looking weld bead anyway; powder coated with the frame. I've seen visible weld beads like that on other bike frames as well. I've always thought of them as a aesthetically natural and common for a motorcycle.

Fla_rider
12-11-2015, 07:06 AM
I'm thinking the extra weight from the 40 year emblem force MH to eliminate your frame covers! :crackup:

seadog
12-11-2015, 07:09 AM
When I looked at the new 2015 Deluxe the first thing that jumped out at me was the ugly frame weld on the bike. I knew when I purchased it that it would have to go because its the first bad thing you see that's just plain not to my liking. I may have over compensated for the small weld but that's just me.3605

Fla_rider
12-11-2015, 07:19 AM
When I looked at the new 2015 Deluxe the first thing that jumped out at me was the ugly frame weld on the bike. I knew when I purchased it that it would have to go because its the first bad thing you see that's just plain not to my liking. I may have over compensated for the small weld but that's just me.17992

Bling it up Seadog!

seadog
12-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Bling it up Seadog!

Chrome will take you home, that matte silver was just crying out for chrome pipes and chrome goodies. I don't want to get too crazy because shuttle touches accomplish the task at hand.

Wing'n it
12-11-2015, 07:58 AM
I was told that a "non-visual appealing" weld got those covers, I guess if the welds did not turn out so good looking they covered them? Seems kinda trivial since a lot of bikes have exposed welds and some don't look too good and I have seen some hand welded frames that look like artwork with their welds. Since my last issues with weld quality on my 02 Goldwings frame i'm more about strength than looks.

seadog
12-11-2015, 08:10 AM
I was told that a "non-visual appealing" weld got those covers, I guess if the welds did not turn out so good looking they covered them? Seems kinda trivial since a lot of bikes have exposed welds and some don't look too good and I have seen some hand welded frames that look like artwork with their welds. Since my last issues with weld quality on my 02 Goldwings frame i'm more about strength than looks.

That would be true if there were a bunch of exposed welds on the bike but that one is the only one you see and it just jumps out at you the first thing when you look at the 6, it had to go, one ugly thing covered up was worth anything to me to hide it. I had already opted for the chrome pipes and knew I would be adding more chrome so that just played right into purchase of the chrome frame cover. It cleaned up the side of the bike and helps offset the black and matte silver just enough to make it stand out rather than being an ugly eye sore.

wjduke
12-11-2015, 08:14 AM
That would be true if there were a bunch of exposed welds on the bike but that one is the only one you see and it just jumps out at you the first thing when you look at the 6, it had to go, one ugly thing covered up was worth anything to me to hide it. I had already opted for the chrome pipes and knew I would be adding more chrome so that just played right into purchase of the chrome frame cover. It cleaned up the side of the bike and helps offset the black and matte silver just enough to make it stand out rather than being an ugly eye sore.

I'm being lazy as I haven't checked, but seadog, were there any black covers available? I'm not into the chrome look, so that chrome piece would stick out like a sore thumb....to me, worse than the weld.

JackB
12-11-2015, 08:59 AM
The 2013's came with the frame covers and the 2015's don't. Just another way for Honda to save some money. I took mine off and put smoked covers on and sold my factory covers to a member on this site.

Chas
12-11-2015, 09:14 AM
I have a '13 and am not sure of where you all are talking about on the welds. Can you help me understand the issue better?
Thanks!

wjduke
12-11-2015, 09:29 AM
I have a '13 and am not sure of where you all are talking about on the welds. Can you help me understand the issue better?
Thanks!

Post 12 has your answer...it's there but covered

wjduke
12-11-2015, 09:35 AM
The 2013's came with the frame covers and the 2015's don't. Just another way for Honda to save some money. I took mine off and put smoked covers on and sold my factory covers to a member on this site.

Been looking for the dark covers, see what they cost and look like...any leads?

Chas
12-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Post 12 has your answer...it's there but covered

I guess that is why I can't see them. Its early here and I didn't read it well. Thanks.

unsub
12-11-2015, 10:33 AM

....sT

It's only sticky tape that holds that dressing on. You're not missing much. All the 2014's and up that I've seen do not have the weld covered. As for why Honda stopped covering the welds, only Honda can answer that.

JetBlackWing
12-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Only the 2013 models got them, and since were mear 5- ounces, I would say for cost savings, they were removed.

Cheers

Willl
12-11-2015, 10:44 AM
I believe it's part # 12 and 13

http://www.procaliber.com/oemparts/a/hon/50f09786f870020670625b65/frame

wjduke
12-11-2015, 10:54 AM

Wow...thanks for that. It's only a specific strip to cover the weld. I bet that saved them all of $2,000.00 total....thank you Honda.

stroguy
12-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Wow...thanks for that. It's only a specific strip to cover the weld. I bet that saved them all of $2,000.00 total....thank you Honda.

When I go to a deli and order a tuna club and it's brought to my table without the toothpick in it with the lil frilly curly things at the end I hardly notice. It's a machine, I like seeing the welds as perfect as they are.

wjduke
12-11-2015, 11:10 AM
When I go to a deli and order a tuna club and it's brought to my table without the toothpick in it with the lil frilly curly things at the end I hardly notice. It's a machine, I like seeing the welds as perfect as they are.

I'm not sure I'd like that cover anyway...seadog's in black would be a better solution to me. I'm over it now. It stays as is. That's for the efforting you guys!

Chas
12-11-2015, 11:14 AM

Thanks Will. I now know what everyone is referring to.

SimonTemplar
12-11-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm being lazy as I haven't checked, but seadog, were there any black covers available? .......

Or, perhaps.....'smoke' chrome (or black chrome or whatever they call it). I'm not big on shiny silver chrome either. ( I very nearly bought an Indian Chief Dark Horse. Sexy bike, that one.)

......sT

JetBlackWing
12-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Yes...Chromium is Over rated.. But I'll take some accents .batman-smilie.

JackB
12-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Been looking for the dark covers, see what they cost and look like...any leads?
These are the Show Chrome smoked covers
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/extrurer/DSCF0578.jpg (http://s768.photobucket.com/user/extrurer/media/DSCF0578.jpg.html)

Ericb445
12-11-2015, 08:06 PM
The factory weld covers were on my 13.
I seen the welds under them and asked myself "Why would anyone want to cover those awesome looking welds up?" I took them off.
To each his own, I guess.

This topic has been mentioned a few times already :icon_razz:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7055-New-to-Forum-Plastic-Frame-Weld-Covers&highlight=weld+covers

stroguy
12-11-2015, 08:11 PM
The factory weld covers were on my 13.
I seen the welds under them and asked myself "Why would anyone want to cover those awesome looking welds up?" I took them off.
To each his own, I guess.

This topic has been mentioned a few times already :icon_razz:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?7055-New-to-Forum-Plastic-Frame-Weld-Covers&highlight=weld+covers

Exactly. Those welds remind me of my testicles. Big bold manly rugged. That's why I rarely wear undies.

ths61
12-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Exactly. Those welds remind me of my testicles. Big bold manly rugged. That's why I rarely wear undies.

TMI

okiedoc
12-11-2015, 08:47 PM
My Dad was a welder, taught me how to weld aluminum. I like the look of the the welds on the frame.

shooter
12-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Stro are you crazy. You know what happened the last time you flashed those. You got arrested. I did notice that policewoman grinning as she put you in the backseat.

stroguy
12-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Stro are you crazy. You know what happened the last time you flashed those. You got arrested. I did notice that policewoman grinning as she put you in the backseat.

Ah yes. She played tennis on the side and thought they were dirty tennis balls.

GaTeach
12-13-2015, 11:42 AM
One of mine was extremely loose after the recall work was done (the cover, not my testicle) and I had no idea what they were all about. Now that I know the 13s were the only one that had them, I think I'll just take them off.

shooter
12-13-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm glad for the clarification Teach. Had me worried.:yikes:

Bryster
12-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Annoying little things anyway as they're stuck with double sided tape, kept catching on the cloth when I was washing. Used a bigger piece of tape to secure... Wonder if they got rid of the hole used to locate them on top if they're not fitted.

GaTeach
12-13-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm glad for the clarification Teach. Had me worried.:yikes:

You never know these days.... :)

Steve 0080
12-13-2015, 09:21 PM
'stop now'

ths61
12-13-2015, 09:47 PM
You never know these days.... :)