PDA

View Full Version : Can an XM receiver connect to stock audio system?

pvmarcon
12-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Want to add XM radio receiver to my 2013 F6B Deluxe. How would I get it to play through bikes audio system? Will installing auxiliary cable from Honda plugged into XM unit allow for unit to play through the bikes speaker system? Do I need to add XM antenna as well? I can run power to unit from battery, or another source . May consider getting an XM capable GPS unit if it will work with stock audio system. Thanks for any input and advice

bertrider
12-13-2015, 10:20 PM
What you want to do will work. You will need an antenna for the radio.

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-13-2015, 10:26 PM
Yep and you do need a satellite antenna.
Mine is on the ledge, upper left, behind the windshield.
Hit the Aux button a second time and it will play.
Power to my Sirius receiver comes from the accessory wire also under the left cubby. It's hot when the key is turned on.

Use the 8mm cable under the left cubby as input to your Sirius XM receiver. I'm sure there are other ways but none integrated like the higher level Goldwing systems.

Jimmytee
12-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Yep and you do need a satellite antenna.
Mine is on the ledge, upper left, behind the windshield.
Hit the Aux button a second time and it will play.
Power to my Sirius receiver comes from the accessory wire also under the left cubby. It's hot when the key is turned on.

Use the 8mm cable under the left cubby as input to your Sirius XM receiver. I'm sure there are other ways but none integrated like the higher level Goldwing systems.

Your antenna works well there? The windshield doesn't interfere with the signal.

pvmarcon
12-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Does the auxiliary wire serve both functions, powering up the XM/GPS unit and playing music through the bikes speakers?

Fla_rider
12-14-2015, 10:57 AM
The output from the Sat. Recvr is a no brainer, straight into the earplug jack. However, if you put the receiver away in the left cubby you won't be able to safely reach it to change channels. Unless you have a remote, or are stopped.

The aux earplug in the left cubby does not power diddly. But you could install a power outlet there.

The usb plug in the left saddlebag not only carries the sound it also changes selection and powers whatever you choose. Only from the left saddlebag can you use the change functions on your left handlebar.

Yes the sound lever controls the sound of the entire system.

To Summarize: AUX has two inputs, one in the left cubby that does not have it's own power and can not be controlled by channel switch on handlebars. The other is the USB connection in the left saddlebag. This does have power and it can be controlled from the left handlebar controls.

pvmarcon
12-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Thank you for all the info. I currently have an ipod connected in the left saddlebag. If I can mount an XM receiver in that bag and plug it into the usb in there and have full function from the handlebar controls that may be the way to go. If I decide to go with a combo xm/gps will have to get power from under the left storage box. I have my radar detector powered fro there now with aux socket. Can power radar detector from battery if need be.

shortleg0521
12-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Thank you for all the info. I currently have an ipod connected in the left saddlebag. If I can mount an XM receiver in that bag and plug it into the usb in there and have full function from the handlebar controls that may be the way to go. If I decide to go with a combo xm/gps will have to get power from under the left storage box. I have my radar detector powered fro there now with aux socket. Can power radar detector from battery if need be.

All you need to do is plug the XM radio into the mini plug in left cubby for sound.
Next get yourself a USB adapter for you power plug on Your XM radio.
That will eliminate the need for the large power plug they come with.
Or you can power it with the power plug it comes with from the cir style outlet
thats in the left cubby, next my antenna has a magnet on bottom and I have it
placed on the speaker grill.
All will fit in left cubby
shortleg'riding'

Chas
12-14-2015, 05:36 PM
I originally had my receiver in the cubby but ended up moving it to the handle bar. I like it there and when I get off the bike, I just put it in my pocket. See pic.18051

Sirius (XM) on left, GPS on right. I got the mounts from Leader M/C Accessories.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/satellite-radio-mount-goldwing-black/

Dave Ritsema
12-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I put my XM in my left cubby along with the antenna. Had a powerport in there also so everything was contained in the left cubby secured by double sided tape. Worked just fine with the exception of changing the channels. This wasn't an issue because there are about 4 channels total I listen to anyway. :icon_lol:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Your antenna works well there? The windshield doesn't interfere with the signal.

Yep, mine sure as hell works well behind the windshield.
I thought the pictures and description pretty much spoke for themselves.

+ Dave R.

Jimmytee
12-14-2015, 09:21 PM

+ Dave R.

Uh, ok. Your pictures showed where the antenna is located, didn't detail how well it worked there, so I asked.:nutkick:

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-14-2015, 09:32 PM
Uh, ok. Your pictures showed where the antenna is located, didn't detail how well it worked there, so I asked.:nutkick:

Probably came off sounding a little short.
My apology. By the way, I found the old, round, puck style works better than the cube. Didn't matter where I had them, wide open or behind the shield, the puck won. I also " refresh" the signal from time to time, seems to help.
:moon:

BobR
12-14-2015, 10:01 PM
I have the XM system mounted on my bike. I bought a Ram Mount. I have used them on my bikes for years. They have a set up for XM that includes a small platform on the back side for the magnetic antenna to sit on. They also have a Piece for the stock XM mount to attach to for easy removal and also a water proof slip on cover with a clear front for riding in the rain. It all sits just above the handlebar and behind the windshield.1805618057

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-14-2015, 10:08 PM
For those who pm'd me about my radio model
It's an older SV3TK1 Stratus. $ 70 bucks on Amazon. I had it laying around after buying on clearance for $ 25.

However, don't buy it.. The Stratus 7, newer version, similar size, more options is $ 29.99 wiith a subscription.
I'd venture to say they'd likely give it to you for signing up with them.

There are obviously many, many choices and better radios.
The one I have does what I need it to do.
Your taste may vary.
Jim

Chas
12-15-2015, 01:15 AM

+ Dave R.

Just for info, Honda places the antenna from the factory mounts in the same location on all the full dresser units with Satellite radio.

Chas
12-15-2015, 01:17 AM
For those who pm'd me about my radio model
It's an older SV3TK1 Stratus. $ 70 bucks on Amazon. I had it laying around after buying on clearance for $ 25.

However, don't buy it.. The Stratus 7, newer version, similar size, more options is $ 29.99 wiith a subscription.
I'd venture to say they'd likely give it to you for signing up with them.

There are obviously many, many choices and better radios.
The one I have does what I need it to do.
Your taste may vary.
Jim

I use the Stratus and it looks very similar to Dirtstiff's unit. I agree with him, it works and does what you want it to do, plus it is small/compact.

mercator1
01-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Does the auxiliary wire serve both functions, powering up the XM/GPS unit and playing music through the bikes speakers?

So, you can have a USB drive in the right cubby and control it by the left switch, and also have the XM in the left cubby, and it's just a straight audio aux input, right? Do you push the AUX button once for one, and then to switch to the other?

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-02-2016, 05:45 PM
So, you can have a USB drive in the right cubby and control it by the left switch, and also have the XM in the left cubby, and it's just a straight audio aux input, right? Do you push the AUX button once for one, and then to switch to the other?

Exactly, your right on.
Sounds like you are moving the usb connection from your left saddlebag to the right cubby or adding one to the right cubby?

Hornblower
01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Did I miss something??? What right cubby are you guys talking about?

mercator1
01-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Exactly, your right on.
Sounds like you are moving the usb connection from your left saddlebag to the right cubby or adding one to the right cubby.

Not bike related...I assume you're a trumpet player from avatar. Professionally?

Dirtstiff's F6B
01-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Not bike related...I assume you're a trumpet player from avatar. Professionally?

Guessing you are asking Ken - Hornblower, but I do sometimes blow my own horn...

My reply was also a question about right cubby?
And I guess technically speaking, it's a cover.

mercator1
01-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Guessing you are asking Ken - Hornblower, but I do sometimes blow my own horn...

My reply was also a question about right cubby?
And I guess technically speaking, it's a cover.

Yeah, sorry. I must have clicked the "quote" link above instead of below.

mercator1
01-02-2016, 11:07 PM
Anybody have a guess as to when Honda will join this century and add bluetooth to the audio system?

Hornblower
01-03-2016, 06:50 AM

I'm a retired robotics engineer that always had music on the side. Since retirement, playing trumpet is my main thing. I've always been passionate about it and I play for money so I guess that makes me a professional, right? As a younger man, I dreamed of being a virtuoso but I think not practicing for 6 to 8 hours a day was what kept me from ever reaching that lofty goal. As a result, I'm still a wannabe!

mercator1
01-03-2016, 09:58 AM
I'm a retired robotics engineer that always had music on the side. Since retirement, playing trumpet is my main thing. I've always been passionate about it and I play for money so I guess that makes me a professional, right? As a younger man, I dreamed of being a virtuoso but I think not practicing for 6 to 8 hours a day was what kept me from ever reaching that lofty goal. As a result, I'm still a wannabe!

I'm an IT guy nearing retirement myself, and always did music on the side, but I was never willing to put in the hours every day like some of my professional musician friends do. Secretly, I knew I didn't have the innate talent that was necessary. Still, I get to put a band together and gig with some great players. Might not be your kind of music, but take a listen if you get a chance - www.facebook.com/horndogsband.

Jimmytee
01-03-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm an IT guy nearing retirement myself, and always did music on the side, but I was never willing to put in the hours every day like some of my professional musician friends do. Secretly, I knew I didn't have the innate talent that was necessary. Still, I get to put a band together and gig with some great players. Might not be your kind of music, but take a listen if you get a chance - www.facebook.com/horndogsband.

I like it:yes: Brass player and vocalist myself

Hornblower
01-03-2016, 11:43 AM

So, you're in Horndogs? Love it! TOP was always one of my favs and your group is in that vein. Better than any group I'm currently in, BTW.

mercator1
01-03-2016, 12:41 PM
So, you're in Horndogs? Love it! TOP was always one of my favs and your group is in that vein. Better than any group I'm currently in, BTW.

Yeah, I'm the fat gray-haired sax player. We do mostly TOP covers, but mix in enough Joe Cocker, Stevie, EW&F, etc. to keep folks who don't know TOP interested. I haven't gotten back into scheduling anything since I had kidney cancer last year, but I want to get us going again.