PDA

View Full Version : CB Radio suggestions

Exbmwrider
12-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Greetings from frozen Reno, NV. In preparation for a month long 4 corners tour in May, I want to install a CB to be able to communicate with my partners who are riding traditional wings with CB's and without Bluetooth. My local dealer sold me the Honda factory CB kit and the left side switchgear for a '13 wing, but found out today that nothing is compatible with the F6B. They are refunding me my $$$, and it was a bunch!

Is anyone on the F6B using CB technology, and if so, what are you using? Suggestions?

TIA!

Chas
12-17-2015, 08:56 PM
Greetings from frozen Reno, NV. In preparation for a month long 4 corners tour in May, I want to install a CB to be able to communicate with my partners who are riding traditional wings with CB's and without Bluetooth. My local dealer sold me the Honda factory CB kit and the left side switchgear for a '13 wing, but found out today that nothing is compatible with the F6B. They are refunding me my $$$, and it was a bunch!

Is anyone on the F6B using CB technology, and if so, what are you using? Suggestions?

TIA!

I installed a Cobra all in one. It has the speaker in the mic and all controls in the mic.. The transceiver mounts easily under the seat or in the fairing. I think it will need an external speaker too. I have found a small one and will install that soon. I did it for the same reason as you, my friends and I go on one 500 Poker Run every year and I am the only one without a CB. Other wise it is off.

Here is a link to what I found.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005N5WW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=008KJQ8MG3FFFE148K2K&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

yellow rex
12-17-2015, 10:38 PM
If you search the forum their is a few post on installation of the Honda factory CB, not difficult just time consuming.
If you have the Honda shop manual you can do it yourself.

bertrider
12-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Go to the BikeMP3 website and take a look at their factory install kit. I have one on my bike and it works exactly like the cb's on the full wings, including the display on your radio screen.

yellow rex
12-18-2015, 12:58 AM
I installed my factory CB under the audio unit just like the regular wing because I did not want anything in my saddlebag, and it is a cleaner install more like factory installed. I made my own install kit.
18094 18093

nvmyf6
12-18-2015, 04:33 AM
Thanks to Yellow rex, with the information he provided to me, I was able to install a 2012 Honda Factory CB. The 2012 CB will plug into the existing radio that is located under the seat.

I purchased the CB switches off eBay. The switches will have to be disassemble. Only 7 wires are needed.

This install is not that difficult.l, if you have the time.

The hardest part was locating a small enough wire terminal that needs to be put in one of the radio plugs.

So if you have some time, Yellow rex and myself can help you with your install

BACA
12-18-2015, 01:27 PM
I've got the Bike MP3 kit and it works great......easy to install (just follow the directions in the video) and looks and acts "Factory Installed". If you already have the factory CB then your halfway there.......

Ride Safe, But Often!!

ths61
12-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Thanks to Yellow rex, with the information he provided to me, I was able to install a 2012 Honda Factory CB. The 2012 CB will plug into the existing radio that is located under the seat.

I purchased the CB switches off eBay. The switches will have to be disassemble. Only 7 wires are needed.

This install is not that difficult.l, if you have the time.

The hardest part was locating a small enough wire terminal that needs to be put in one of the radio plugs.

So if you have some time, Yellow rex and myself can help you with your install

Did you need any BikeMP3 parts, or just OEM Honda parts (and a CB antenna an antenna mount) ?

P.S. Where is the how-to thread ???

nvmyf6
12-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I've got the Bike MP3 kit and it works great......easy to install (just follow the directions in the video) and looks and acts "Factory Installed". If you already have the factory CB then your halfway there.......

Ride Safe, But Often!!

BACA is correct. The Bike MP3 kit is a good product.

From what I have discovered, the Bike MP3 kit is for the 2010 factory CB. The kit has a conversion harness that allows the 2010 CB to plug into the existing radio. also the kit provides you with all the plug and play harnesses for the install.

The 2012 CB will plug right into the radio. Then additional wires will need to be added.

So it really comes down to, which factory CB model does, ex bmw rider have, Will determine which direction he will need to go.

:biggthumpup:

nvmyf6
12-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Did you need any BikeMP3 parts, or just OEM Honda parts (and a CB antenna an antenna mount) ?

P.S. Where is the how-to thread ???

There is no, "How to do Thread". There may be one created as we go.

I did not need any parts from Bike MP3.

At the time I was ready to install a CB on my F6B. The CB switches were not available through Bike MP3. The enable kit.

The Bike MP3 plug and play, works with the 2010 model CB. The CB switches are still required. An additional purchase item.

I located the switches on ebay. Then I purchased the 2012 CB that will plug right into the radio.

The switches have to be wired into the existing wires on the handle bar, only 4 wires, And also run 3 wires from the switches, back and connect them to the 2 connectors that they are missing from.

nvmyf6
12-18-2015, 03:59 PM
The CB antenna I used was the J&M antenna for their Handlebar mount CB.

This antenna comes with a mounting bracket attached to it. I re-bent it and cut to size and mounted it where the existing radio antenna is at.

nvmyf6
12-19-2015, 03:45 AM
There is no, "How to do Thread". There may be one created as we go.

I did not need any parts from Bike MP3.

At the time I was ready to install a CB on my F6B. The CB switches were not available through Bike MP3. The enable kit.

The Bike MP3 plug and play, works with the 2010 model CB. The CB switches are still required. An additional purchase item.

I located the switches on ebay. Then I purchased the 2012 CB that will plug right into the radio.

The switches have to be wired into the existing wires on the handle bar, only 4 wires, And also run 3 wires from the switches, back and connect them to the 2 connectors that they are missing from.

The Green and Orange wires from the CB switches connect to the Green and Orange wires at the connector located on the right side of the Relay box under the seat.

The Red wire from the CB switches connect to the Radio. A very small female wire terminal is necessary. It has to be inserted into this radio connector.

nvmyf6
12-19-2015, 03:07 PM
The CB needs an on/off switch. A momentary switch is needed.
I had already a momentary switch I installed within the audio control panel that I used for my garage door opener. I have now used this switch for the CB on /off.

Under the left side cubby is a large black connector. There is a Red wire with the 5v needed to connect to the momentary switch.
The other side of this switch, will need to connect to the Blue/White wire, located on the left side of the Relay box. Within the big clear connector cover, is the plug connector with the Blue /White wire.

Exbmwrider
12-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys...great info!

nvmyf6
12-19-2015, 04:51 PM
The CB has a 3 wire connector.
Red, is Battery Power.. Red/Black, is Key on acc. Power.. Green, is the Ground

This is the wire I used. Purchased from Radio Shack. Ran from the Radio up to the middle of the handlebar. I just split the wires as needed, and ran them where I needed to make the connection.

The Red, Green, Orange wires from the CB switches, run down the handlebar, and meet in the middle. Remove the Guage Cluster. Connect the 3 wires there.

nvmyf6
12-19-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys...great info!

The CB install is not difficult, just time consuming. The results are

ths61
12-19-2015, 06:12 PM
The CB install is not difficult, just time consuming. The results are

How are your Rx/Tx distances ?

nvmyf6
12-19-2015, 09:02 PM
How are your Rx/Tx distances ?

I don't have a good answer. What is normal ?

I did a ride with a group of 11 bike, the leader has a CB, the last rider has a CB, and I was riding more to the rear of the pack and we had no problems with communication. There were I believe 5 bikes with CBs no problems at all and they did comment on how good my radio sounded.

My SWR is high on channel 40 about 3 but is less than 1 at channel 1. I could not get the reading lower on channel 40. Not a problem though , my group runs channel 1 or 2.

Hope this helps.

ths61
12-19-2015, 11:24 PM
I don't have a good answer. What is normal ?

I did a ride with a group of 11 bike, the leader has a CB, the last rider has a CB, and I was riding more to the rear of the pack and we had no problems with communication. There were I believe 5 bikes with CBs no problems at all and they did comment on how good my radio sounded.

My SWR is high on channel 40 about 3 but is less than 1 at channel 1. I could not get the reading lower on channel 40. Not a problem though , my group runs channel 1 or 2.

Hope this helps.

Distance depends on terrain conditions (mountains, buildings, obstacles, distance). I found that my Victory Vision CB could not transmit as far when we got spread out as other brands could like the J&M and Harley CBs. I could hear, but talk back under those conditions. If you have not experienced this than chances are it is good.

nvmyf6
01-09-2016, 02:46 AM

I was looking over all the pictures I took while I was working on this install. I sure did take a lot of pictures. Anyway, I saw this one, and thought it was more good information.

Completely separating the CB switches from the rest of the housing,
This picture shows a flat part on the outside of the screw hole, on my existing switch housing, that I had to remove, make round, like the housing above mine. So the CB switches part would sit on my switch housing correctly. I only used the CB switches, discard the rest. And that was the only difference between the switches I bought off eBay and my switches.

yellow rex
01-09-2016, 07:37 PM
The only thing I would do differently, buy the controls for a newer wing so you would have lighted controls other than that it works great.
I think the reason Bike Mp3 kit install in the saddle bag is his CB will not fit in the F6b audio box it is larger I think.