PDA

View Full Version : A great gift to someone you'll never meet.

stroguy
12-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Man they can use that liquid gold during this time of year. It's 40 minutes of your time. Give it a shot if you've never given. Merry Christmas.

gandydancer
12-18-2015, 12:55 PM
AMEN

Phaedrus
12-18-2015, 06:11 PM
I've been a regular donor for years. Nothing delivers more satisfaction.

willtill
12-18-2015, 07:10 PM
I tried to donate blood several years ago locally; during an emergency blood drive sponsored by the American Red Cross; for someone that was hurt in a motorcycle accident.

When filling out my past history; they read it and refused to allow me to donate blood since I was stationed in Germany ('80's) during a time that they were having issues with mad cow disease over there.

Then several weeks later the American Red Cross sent me a letter and stated that they 'effed up and I was welcome at any time to donate blood.

'Eff them (The American Red Cross). They've turned into a business anyway; not a charitable organization... they SELL blood to organizations that need it. I have no issue donating my blood to anyone whom needs it... but the American Red Cross will never have another opportunity to stick a needle in MY arm.

If you want to donate... contribute to The Salvation Army. Good organization. It all goes to people in need.

ths61
12-18-2015, 07:34 PM
I tried to donate blood several years ago locally; during an emergency blood drive sponsored by the American Red Cross; for someone that was hurt in a motorcycle accident.

When filling out my past history; they read it and refused to allow me to donate blood since I was stationed in Germany ('80's) during a time that they were having issues with mad cow disease over there.

Then several weeks later the American Red Cross sent me a letter and stated that they 'effed up and I was welcome at any time to donate blood.

'Eff them (The American Red Cross). They've turned into a business anyway; not a charitable organization... they SELL blood to organizations that need it. I have no issue donating my blood to anyone whom needs it... but the American Red Cross will never have another opportunity to stick a needle in MY arm.

If you want to donate... contribute to The Salvation Army. Good organization. It all goes to people in need.

+1 on the Salvation Army. They do a lot more with a lot less (just look at their pay scales).

If there are no cameras and limelight, the Red Cross is not there.

http://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations

Amipro
12-18-2015, 07:35 PM

Same here, was stationed in Germany in the 90's. They won't take my donation from now on. Their loss! I ring bells for SA now.

stroguy
12-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Yea, the Red Cross is a business. They refused to help my father return from Korea during the war to attend his mothers funeral. He has never forgotten that eventand I will never forget the anger in his voice as a child whenever and RC commercial aired.

My blood collection agency is not affiliated with RC. They are independant. They fully admit they sell blood to operate as a non-profit org.

Airborne06
12-18-2015, 10:40 PM

Same thing happened to me because I was stationed in Germany in the mid 1980s.

Steve 0080
12-18-2015, 10:44 PM
18+ Gallons for me !

shooter
12-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Booze or Blood.

BobR
12-18-2015, 11:31 PM
23+ Gallons for me. Less than 3% of people donate but most end up needing @ some point in their lives. Men who donate regularly have a 50% less heart attack rate than those who do not donate.

willtill
12-19-2015, 07:12 AM
23+ Gallons for me. Less than 3% of people donate but most end up needing @ some point in their lives. Men who donate regularly have a 50% less heart attack rate than those who do not donate.

That is most interesting. Do you have a link/source that explains this phenomena?

Bob Penn
12-19-2015, 07:36 AM
If you want to give blood get Married:lolup:

lloydmoore1
12-19-2015, 08:08 AM
Yep I actually got a letter stating that because of the Meds given to us for one of my Bosnia tours that I could be affected by the mad cow disease in about 20yrs. That was in 1990 so ....no mad cow effects yet and not allowed to give blood.
I too was in Germany from 88-90 stationed in Baden.

Steve 0080
12-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Booze or Blood.

That would be blood. Although I have consumed very little alcohol in my life time, for one reason or another I have indulged in the last year or so. As far as feeling better and having health benefits, giving blood is the one thing that accomplishes this. A Dr. told me if we could give once a month the benefits would be amazing, with "new" blood raging thru our systems this would combat most ills. Now the government will only let you give every eight weeks, so the proof is in the pudding. Hell, give it a try! You will feel better and maybe save a life or two!

The reason or reasons I gave blood was my blood was only given to babies in their first month or two of life because I did not catch "something" as a child.
If the math is correct I have saved dozens of babies's lives!

https://www.bloodsource.org/Donate/Blood-Facts-FAQs

ReserveBum
12-19-2015, 10:07 AM
That would be blood. Although I have consumed very little alcohol in my life time, for one reason or another I have indulged in the last year or so. As far as feeling better and having health benefits, giving blood is the one thing that accomplishes this. A Dr. told me if we could give once a month the benefits would be amazing, with "new" blood raging thru our systems this would combat most ills. Now the government will only let you give every eight weeks, so the proof is in the pudding. Hell, give it a try! You will feel better and maybe save a life or two!

The reason or reasons I gave blood was my blood was only given to babies in their first month or two of life because I did not catch "something" as a child.
If the math is correct I have saved dozens of babies's lives!

https://www.bloodsource.org/Donate/Blood-Facts-FAQs

You guys thank us often for being vets but this where we get to thank you. Thats a great gift you are giving and those of us who cant donate appreciate it!