PDA

View Full Version : Full GoldWing(classic) or F6B

leatherlips
12-23-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm getting ready to take the plunge (again) and buy either a goldwing (classic) or the F6B. I've owned several motorcycles in the past, including most recently the ST1300 and an '08 goldwing just prior to that. I really enjoyed my 08 Goldwing the most of the bikes I've owned so I was starting to look at finding a used Goldwing when I noticed the F6B as an option.
I'm looking to get some thoughts/opinions from anyone that may have owned both and how they compare to each other (pros/cons, etc).

I would be buying a used bike, and my budget would be no greater than 15K (less if I can).

Some other thoughts on my part. I originally bought the Goldwing because I thought my wife would ride more with me if I had better accommodations for her. (that didn't happen so I sold the wing and bought the ST1300). the ST1300 was fun, but I missed the comfort of the Wing. I don't really NEED the 2-up comfort of the wing any longer but still crave the comfort and ride it provided.

Thanks!

opas ride
12-23-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm getting ready to take the plunge (again) and buy either a goldwing (classic) or the F6B. I've owned several motorcycles in the past, including most recently the ST1300 and an '08 goldwing just prior to that. I really enjoyed my 08 Goldwing the most of the bikes I've owned so I was starting to look at finding a used Goldwing when I noticed the F6B as an option.
I'm looking to get some thoughts/opinions from anyone that may have owned both and how they compare to each other (pros/cons, etc).

I would be buying a used bike, and my budget would be no greater than 15K (less if I can).

Some other thoughts on my part. I originally bought the Goldwing because I thought my wife would ride more with me if I had better accommodations for her. (that didn't happen so I sold the wing and bought the ST1300). the ST1300 was fun, but I missed the comfort of the Wing. I don't really NEED the 2-up comfort of the wing any longer but still crave the comfort and ride it provided.

Thanks!
If you don't need, or care, about two-up riding the F6B is the way to go in my opinion...Lighter, handles great, faster, cheaper, and is one great bike.....

DMAGOLDRDR
12-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm getting ready to take the plunge (again) and buy either a goldwing (classic) or the F6B. I don't really NEED the 2-up comfort of the wing any longer but still crave the comfort and ride it provided.

Thanks!

I have wanted a Wing but just seem to be very happy with my F6B. The F6B just looks better to me.
BUT here are some differences from Wing to F6B

No Reverse
No Adjustable Windshield
No Lighted Handlebar controls
No remote Adj Headlight
No remote Adj Rear Suspension
No remote locking Saddle Bags
No Heated Seat
No ABS
Obviously no Trunk... much easier to throw a leg over
slightly wider Fairing... noticeable if you use highway pegs

On Older Standard Models

No Cruise Control
No Center Stand
No self canceling Signals
No heated Grips

Cobraguy
12-23-2015, 01:33 PM
I have an 02 wing and the wife has a 15 F6. I have put plenty of miles on both. I prefer the wing for longer, anything 100+ miles, rides. A quick run to the store I'm taking the F6 every time. The F6 is more fun to ride and it gets the looks and compliments, but you can't get that Barcca Lounger comfort on long trips in anything but a full Wing. All the bells and whistles that come on the full wing aren't really missed with reverse being the only exception.

edgeman55
12-23-2015, 04:07 PM
If you don't need, or care, about two-up riding the F6B is the way to go in my opinion...Lighter, handles great, faster, cheaper, and is one great bike.....

+1 and I'm 6'5" and the full dress Wing is very tight in the cockpit so I find the F6 much more comfortable.

Miks
12-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Having owned a 2012 Honda GoldWing premium audio, and a 2015 Honda F6B, the two are very similar, but very different.

The adjustable windshield isn't a big deal, since you have to manually set it on the Goldwing and once you have it set where it works, you tend to not have to move it. The F6B has a little more room if you are taller, and the reverse gear is missing, but it really comes down to doing some thinking when you stop the bike IE back it in if the parking is sloping downward, etc.

The F6B definitely feels more sporty, the small weight reduction doesn't seem like it would be that much, but in reality the top box is high centered, so the bike is much easier to hop on and off of, taking the weight off the sidestand is where you feel it the most. I also had an ST 1300 and trying to compare the F6B to that bike is sort of a unique angle, since the F6B is sort of a sport touring bike in some ways.

As my title says - the F6B is what sounds like you need. It has a more stylish look to the hot "bagger" market going on, and if you aren't doing the long distance touring with a passenger, I think you will like the feel and custom look of the F6B.

Steve 0080
12-23-2015, 06:43 PM
If no pillion, F6B !!!

There is one for Sale in Sanford, financing is available, 2013, Black...Call Johnnie, Sales Manager, say Steve gave you the number 407-670-9800 .

leatherlips
12-23-2015, 07:10 PM
Having owned a 2012 Honda GoldWing premium audio, and a 2015 Honda F6B, the two are very similar, but very different.

The adjustable windshield isn't a big deal, since you have to manually set it on the Goldwing and once you have it set where it works, you tend to not have to move it. The F6B has a little more room if you are taller, and the reverse gear is missing, but it really comes down to doing some thinking when you stop the bike IE back it in if the parking is sloping downward, etc.

The F6B definitely feels more sporty, the small weight reduction doesn't seem like it would be that much, but in reality the top box is high centered, so the bike is much easier to hop on and off of, taking the weight off the sidestand is where you feel it the most. I also had an ST 1300 and trying to compare the F6B to that bike is sort of a unique angle, since the F6B is sort of a sport touring bike in some ways.

As my title says - the F6B is what sounds like you need. It has a more stylish look to the hot "bagger" market going on, and if you aren't doing the long distance touring with a passenger, I think you will like the feel and custom look of the F6B.

I'm thinking since I had the ST1300 as my last bike, I've already dealt with no cruise, no reverse and the like, so perhaps I wont miss those. I did LOVE the electric windshield on the ST and used it often (rode with it low most of the time around town, but up and down on the highway to keep cool down here in FL).

I do like riding up to the mountains and the Goldwing made that ride a breeze. Will I notice a big difference with the F6B on a 9 hour ride? The ST was fine for that ride (though noticeably less comfortable than the Wing was).

SoCal Rich
12-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Many folks here needed to replace the seat for long rides like you mention. Windshield is other most frequent upgrade, as the OEM shorty provides no protection. I bought Ultimate King seat and Madstad windshield. You'll see a gazillion threads here about upgrades like seats and windshields among many others. Good luck, but I'd get the F6B.

Miks
12-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Hmm, well I think what you will find is that the F6B is right in between the comfort you found on the GoldWing, and the St 1300. As you know. the Goldwing wears it's weight very well, and the F6B just sheds that weight even more. For me, the GoldWing was too much bike for what I needed, so I went to a BMW R1200Rt. I feel that the F6B is very close in the feel and comfort, but you can't beat the Goldwing seat for comfort and long distance touring.

You may need to change the seat, other than that, you can put thousand mile days without any problem once you get the windshield you are looking for. The F6B is all about the cruiser look with the "crown jewel of motorcycle engines", so the styling is what you are gaining in a lot of ways. If you like that low rear end look such as a Harley Street Glide, but want a bike that gets up and goes, HERE IS YOUR BIKE:icon_lol:

My story was I rode to Oshkosh WI on my 2014 Honda CTX 1300. A group of bikes comes walking into the campground to setup their site, and I looked out and saw a Harley jacket rider getting on a blue F6B. I talked to him for about 25 minutes, he was a wealthy guy who owned tons of bikes, and his story was that once people figure out the F6B, THIS WOULD BE THE HOTTEST BIKE OUT THERE! He swore by all the bikes he owned, that this was the cats meow, and that once people take a ride on them, there is nothing else out there with the cool look, performance, and comfort to tour. He had the Kuryakn highway pegs and swore by them, and since he was a taller rider, told me that the legroom was a huge difference from a Goldwing...which he swore he would never own.

Go figure.

Big Cat
12-24-2015, 08:28 AM

:agree: Having had three previous Goldwings, I find the F6B a better choice for my solo riding...if my wife still rode with me, it would be a different matter, but she doesn't, and it is what it is. BTW, you can solve the windshield adjustability issue by installing a Windbender windshield. Just remember to always park uphill and the lack of reverse won't be a problem.

leatherlips
12-24-2015, 08:40 AM
I always thought I'd go back to the full wing because I liked it so much but the F6B is so enticing I'm really leaning toward it now. Does anyone know what the deal is with the warranties on these? I'm wondering if I should expect to get some factory warranty (on a 2013?) when buying used. Also, I know with my goldwing I had an extended Honda warranty with it (though I never needed to use it). Would they do the same for these F6Bs? (I think as long as I signed up prior to expiration of the original factory warranty, I could buy their extended coverage).

leatherlips
12-24-2015, 08:44 AM
:BTW, you can solve the windshield adjustability issue by installing a Windbender windshield. Just remember to always park uphill and the lack of reverse won't be a problem.

I was wondering about the windbender, with manual adjustment how easy is it to change? Is this something that can be done in seconds (say I pull over and adjust quickly)? I also noticed their electric option (which I REALLY used on my ST1300). It's just very expensive. I tried to find video on the windbender but couldnt find anything to see how it adjusts manually.

JackB
12-24-2015, 09:21 AM
I always thought I'd go back to the full wing because I liked it so much but the F6B is so enticing I'm really leaning toward it now. Does anyone know what the deal is with the warranties on these? I'm wondering if I should expect to get some factory warranty (on a 2013?) when buying used. Also, I know with my goldwing I had an extended Honda warranty with it (though I never needed to use it). Would they do the same for these F6Bs? (I think as long as I signed up prior to expiration of the original factory warranty, I could buy their extended coverage).

I believe you are right about the warranty.
I had a ST1300 before the F6B. I only had it for a year but what a great bike, I wish I owned it longer. But Honda dropped the price on the leftover F6B's so I had to have one.
I like the F6B better than the ST because it's more my style, love the engine, the ride, the looks, feels lighter, sits lower, and you don't want to get off of it.

Riknchar
12-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I owned a 2003 full Wing for 6 years, and then switched over to a 2015 F6B in Feb of 2015. Before the 2003 Wing, I owned a 2006 ST-1300. Here are my thoughts:

1. The ST1300 was crazy fast and powerful, but was definitely not as comfortable for long trips. The seat felt too slippery for me, and I kept finding myself sliding forward onto the tank. I really missed the cruise control, also, despite a nice throttle lock I had installed. The constant high-pitched alternator whine got to me also on long trips.

2. My 2003 Wing (bought used in 2008) was extremely comfortable and 100% reliable. The previous owner had decked it out with everything Kuryakan sold, and I did feel a bit like a carnival going down the road.

3. This past February, I was enticed by the looks of the 2015 F6B in matte silver, and I figured I could live without the extra storage, reverse gear, etc. As it turns out, the F6B just wasn't as comfortable for me (I'm 5' 9", and the full wing seat fit me perfectly as was "all-day comfortable"). I also ended up not really caring for the slightly louder exhaust note of the F6B (wore on me on trips). The seat on the F6B is quite a bit larger, and a bit easier to slide around in than the full wing's seat. For tall people this works much better, but for me, the full wing seat felt "custom molded" to my body shape.

4. I ended up going back to a full wing, also a 2015, in August. The price difference was only around $1500, and I am much happier having all the extra amenities of the full wing (along with the slightly quieter exhaust).

One other note: I had the Windbender windshield on both the 2003 Wing and the F6B and can attest to its usefulness. It is very easy to adjust while parked, and does a great job of directing the wing over your head while still allowing you to look over the windshield. The Madstad gets good marks for the same reasons, but I like the looks of the Windbender much better personally.

Good luck!

Jayrock
12-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Regarding long hours on this bike, my feeling is if that's something you're up to, the F6B is up to it also. I've ridden quite a few back to back 8-9 hour days and also a few 10-12 hour days here and there. Try to ride on twisty roads - you won't miss cruise control on those! Madstad windshields are the sh!t for directing air flow and easily adjust in seconds.

Old Ryder
12-24-2015, 06:24 PM
A full blown does not interest me in any way, shape or form. The mission of the bike---the look of the bike either. There is so much crap hanging off the side----buttons, lights, and plastichrome everywhere! NOT FOR ME!

Now the B on the other hand hit my "lust button" the first time I saw a picture of one posted on the Victory forums when I rode that brand. While visiting MR Cycle in Asheville, my wife spotted one and called me over and the hook was then set. After a couple years and the huge markdowns and I was able to make the dream complete. The B is not a sport bike---it is not a full blown tour model like the wing---it is not a heavy metal V Twin. What it is---to me anyway is the best combination of all 3 with killer style points and the only one with the flat 6 power, torque and smoothness---then you add the maintenance free design that is known as "Honda" and there it is.

Again---if I were banned from owning a B---then it would be the Valkyrie at a cheaper price---but again, that is just one man's opinion.

Ride safe and welcome to the forum.

oldman
12-27-2015, 10:43 AM
I've been going through the same decision process. The full Goldwing seems almost overwhelming to me, but sitting on the F6b I still felt like I was on a motorcycle. I have to wait until Spring to demo ride both bikes, but I know I am leaning strongly toward the F6b. The Deluxe version, with cruise and a passenger backrest, lacks only the reverse gear from being just about a perfect bike. I am hoping that with the small backrest my wife will be comfortable, and certainly seems like she would be more comfortable than on the smallish pillion seat with backrest on my 2011 Triumph Thunderbird. If I'm careful, the lack of a reverse gear seems manageable. Now that I am getting older (72) sometime I think I should look at lighter bikes, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort. Picking the Fb6 off the sidestand seems easy enough for me, so I am hoping the weight won't be a real issue. And in that regard, the extra weight of a full Goldwing is another reason I am leaning toward the F6b.

STR8UP
12-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Before my 13 F6B I owned a BMW K1200GT, R1100RT and Honda ST1100...I had bar risers and aftermarket seats on all of them to fit my size (5'6" and 29" inseam). With the F6B I was comfortable from the get go and I can reach the ground with both feet. During my last vacation I rode 1200 km (750 miles) in one day and the only reason I stopped is because I was at my destination. I am 61 years old and I have owned a few bikes and I can say this F6B is the best combination of power, comfort and handling I have ever experienced. These Honda Goldwings are bullet-proof reliable and the dealer network is way bigger than BMW.

unsub
12-27-2015, 03:51 PM
I talked to him for about 25 minutes, he was a wealthy guy who owned tons of bikes, and his story was that once people figure out the F6B, THIS WOULD BE THE HOTTEST BIKE OUT THERE!

Go figure.

That's my sentiment too. I think the reason Honda still manufactures the B is because sales inertia is growing enough globally to substantiate production. The B will definitely go into the Honda Archives as a milestone of the GL family.

Of course one might argue there's a substantial surplus of GL 1800 Wing parts as the other reason for continued production. :icon_wink: