PDA

View Full Version : TORQUE LOOPS ?

Heavvyduty
12-27-2015, 08:40 AM
What benefits if any would I get by putting on Torque loops and keeping the (STOCK) Exhaust on.

Steve 0080
12-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Most of if not all has been discussed in other threads....

http://hondaf6b.com/search.php?searchid=788990

Heavvyduty
12-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Most of if no all has beeb discussed in other threads....

http://hondaf6b.com/search.php?searchid=788990

tks tried the search but nothing came up.
this will help

Python
12-27-2015, 06:06 PM
It's not just u heavvyduty it didn't work for me either, I was wondering what it would do to my warranty, hear the Honda engineers designed these but the EPA made them go with the other

Heavvyduty
12-27-2015, 08:32 PM
It's not just u heavvyduty it didn't work for me either, I was wondering what it would do to my warranty, hear the Honda engineers designed these but the EPA made them go with the other

Ya I been trying all day, Nothing comes up.I,m just trying to find out what the Loops will do for me. besides stopping the drone .

DavidNC
12-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Installing my Torq Loopz this week. I hope for a few benefits. Expecting better flow, better fuel economy, lighter weight and raspier sound. Hope it's worth the cost and time. I'll give updates.

Hornblower
12-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Installing my Torq Loopz this week. I hope for a few benefits. Expecting better flow, better fuel economy, lighter weight and raspier sound. Hope it's worth the cost and time. I'll give updates.

What you're expecting is exactly what you should get. You may already know but pay special attention to sealing the joint between the Loopz and headers and installing the clamps so they don't interfere with the lower covers. Other than that, the install should go smoothly.

DavidNC
12-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Finished the install. It's raining too much to give it a good test drive. Sound is a bit deeper at all rpm levels, but doesn't qualify as a "loader pipes saves lives" mod. One issue is that the stop position should be determined by first confirming where the center stand aligns to the side cover. In my case, is is so of center that it misses the rubber stop.

Hornblower
12-29-2015, 01:15 PM
One issue is that the stop position should be determined by first confirming where the center stand aligns to the side cover. In my case, is is so of center that it misses the rubber stop.

In that case, I would check for full seating of the heat shield. With those little rubber boots that have to slide into slots, it can be a challenge to get them in all the way. I found lubing those boots with silicone grease very helpful.

DavidNC
12-29-2015, 10:09 PM
The left pipe was not built as accurately as the right side. Out of the box the top bracket was bent at an angle to give a proper angle of the loops and shield brackets. It fit well enough to get the job done but I see this has not the issue. Right side was perfect. Looking back at the rubber stop picture in the instructions, I see that the hole is drilled off set to the front.

Hornblower
12-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Looking back at the rubber stop picture in the instructions, I see that the hole is drilled off set to the front.

Unless you do a LOT of trimming on the rubber stop, it will pretty much fill the entire indentation on the heat shield. I do notice the centerstand resting on the front third of the rubber stop so you may be right about it being biased toward the front. Still, with the size of the stop, it shouldn't be a problem. OTOH, if your centerstand is missing the indentation altogether, that's a problem.

DavidNC
12-30-2015, 11:33 AM
Unless you do a LOT of trimming on the rubber stop, it will pretty much fill the entire indentation on the heat shield. I do notice the centerstand resting on the front third of the rubber stop so you may be right about it being biased toward the front. Still, with the size of the stop, it shouldn't be a problem. OTOH, if your centerstand is missing the indentation altogether, that's a problem.

True about trimming too much, which I also did. Turned the stop around and it does better. Will get new stop anyway, since mine is blue on a black exhaust. Just pointing out my mistake to help others.

BIGLRY
12-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Here is how my center stand bump stop looks installed once I trimmed a tad off the outer edge of the back side that touches to conform to the curvature of the heat shield. I used a silicone spray lube then a twisting motion to get it to fit in the hole.

I then painted the heat shields a hi-temp flat black to match the "Dr. Jekill & Mr. Hyde" exhaust.

DavidNC
12-31-2015, 04:44 PM
My first driving impressions with the loopz are mixed. First day without rain, but roads still puddled so cannot run too hard. Drove about 20 miles back roads.

First 10 miles were bad. The bike had a very bad smell and the bike redlined at about 5K rather than 6k. Stopped and filled with gas. Started to redline as normal the bad smell lessened.

The drone never bothered me, but it is gone. The exhaust is quieter during normal acceleration and cruising. I now hear more tire, wind and alternator noise.

On hard acceleration, the exhaust is louder with a deeper/raspier tone. Likely know one else would notice the difference. Will find out tomorrow when I ride with a few hundred guys...mostly Harley and riders.

Sure hope the loopz improve power and fuel economy. I did one 5th gear test run 50 to 80 mph and was not impressed. Hopefully the computer still needs time to recalibrate.

An odd side issue is the the up shifts were hanging (not working) for the first 15 miles. For example, I would shift up to 2nd then have to shift back down to get to 2nd and 3rd. This happened at all the gears. This has never happened before. Perhaps the computer has control over shifts. Seemed to shift fine the lat five miles.

Old Ryder
12-31-2015, 05:16 PM
My first driving impressions with the loopz are mixed. First day without rain, but roads still puddled so cannot run too hard. Drove about 20 miles back roads.

First 10 miles were bad. The bike had a very bad smell and the bike redlined at about 5K rather than 6k. Stopped and filled with gas. Started to redline as normal the bad smell lessened.

The drone never bothered me, but it is gone. The exhaust is quieter during normal acceleration and cruising. I now hear more tire, wind and alternator noise.

On hard acceleration, the exhaust is louder with a deeper/raspier tone. Likely know one else would notice the difference. Will find out tomorrow when I ride with a few hundred guys...mostly Harley and riders.

Sure hope the loopz improve power and fuel economy. I did one 5th gear test run 50 to 80 mph and was not impressed. Hopefully the computer still needs time to recalibrate.

An odd side issue is the the up shifts were hanging (not working) for the first 15 miles. For example, I would shift up to 2nd then have to shift back down to get to 2nd and 3rd. This happened at all the gears. This has never happened before. Perhaps the computer has control over shifts. Seemed to shift fine the lat five miles.

Still waiting on your jury. It is not so much the money as it is the job of installing them that has me on the fence. Of course you are about 100 miles away and I am wondering if you can be hired "ccsmiley" Seriously, I am not sure I want to jump on this unless it has significant benefits.

DavidNC
12-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Don't see myself ever doing this install again....so I must keep the bike for the rest of my like.

opas ride
12-31-2015, 06:26 PM
Too each his own on exhaust changes and what ever makes one happy...I personally cannot see the sense and value in spending huge bucks and a major install headache just to, "hopefully" gain a couple of HP and sound...I am perfectly happy with my Cobra's (including a slight drone at times) as are those, I am sure, who have other exhausts and Torq Loopz. JMHO

Steve 0080
01-01-2016, 12:29 AM

Disconnect the neg side of the battery for 10mins or so......1/2 hour max... should be go to go.....steve

Hornblower
01-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Disconnect the neg side of the battery for 10mins or so......1/2 hour max... should be go to go.....steve

Steve--I agree with you that an ECU reset is a very good idea when making exhaust changes and definitely when adding Loopz. Instructions for that are what you mentioned above but there are another steps recommended. Here is the procedure I used:

Make sure the engine is cold and has sat for at least 5 hours, overnight is best

Remove the ground (black) cable from the battery

Let the bike sit for at least 30 minutes

Re-attach the ground to the battery

Start the engine, but DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE

Allow the bike to idle until the engine warms up and you hear the radiator fans turn on
After the fans turn off, turn off the ignition

Restart the bike and enjoy the ride

Hornblower
01-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Don't see myself ever doing this install again....so I must keep the bike for the rest of my like.

Sounds like you enjoyed installing the Loopz about as much as I did. I had to do mine twice for a couple of reasons. First, I wasn't careful enough about the orientation of the clamps and found they interfered with the lower panels. And, second, I wound up with leaks at the first joints between the manifolds and Loopz. The second time around, I doubled up on the gaskets and used real muffler joint sealer and that took care of that! If you're smelling any exhaust, especially when you're sitting still, you need to check for leaks.

DavidNC
01-01-2016, 09:36 AM
It may be paint burning off. The stove paint was rubbed off, said I painted with brake rotor paint. Realized last night that it may not be high temperature enough. Seems to be leak free.

Will try the reset before I leave this morning.

willtill
01-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Too each his own on exhaust changes and what ever makes one happy...I personally cannot see the sense and value in spending huge bucks and a major install headache just to, "hopefully" gain a couple of HP and sound...I am perfectly happy with my Cobra's (including a slight drone at times) as are those, I am sure, who have other exhausts and Torq Loopz. JMHO

http://i65.tinypic.com/2n8oles.jpg

DavidNC
01-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Did the reset as described about. Ran and shifted as it should. I noticed more power. My wife also noticed more power and was caught off guard, holding on tight. I'll give a report on mileage in the near future.

Old Ryder
01-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Has anybody ever just replaced the gap where the CATS are with a simple straight pipe instead of the loops? What are the benefits of the loops?

Pap
01-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Has anybody ever just replaced the gap where the CATS are with a simple straight pipe instead of the loops? What are the benefits of the loops?

Good question!
I'd like to know as well.

DavidNC
01-03-2016, 03:42 PM
I don't see a simple pipe working because of a need for the center support, muffler cover support attachment point as well as the front header pipe shield mounting points.

Pap
01-04-2016, 07:52 AM
I've been trying to research these pipes on the internet and saw a post saying that these pipes are problematic by working loose and leaking. One guy gave feedback stating that after a year, he would never recommend you to get these unless you like to remove your plastic a lot and re-tighten the clamps. Any of you on here experiencing this issue?
I'm not bashing these pipes, just trying to get feedback.

Hornblower
01-04-2016, 09:56 AM
I've been trying to research these pipes on the internet and saw a post saying that these pipes are problematic by working loose and leaking. One guy gave feedback stating that after a year, he would never recommend you to get these unless you like to remove your plastic a lot and re-tighten the clamps. Any of you on here experiencing this issue?
I'm not bashing these pipes, just trying to get feedback.

Pap, here's my take on that...based on my experience, I can see how this is a potential trouble spot for the Loopz. As a result, I would recommend taking extra measures to insure against it. There are two things I've done and would suggest to others considering this mod. First, I doubled up on the sealing gaskets (you could get by with 1 1/2 gaskets on each side). I believe the supplied gaskets are shorter than they should be so I requested extra gaskets to add to that. Second, I don't particularly like the gasket maker supplied with the kit. After a short time of running, that stuff literally turns to dust. As a result, the second thing I did was to substitute real muffler gasket sealer which I purchased at the auto parts store. I understand some people use high temp silicone which would probably be fine as well. I have a feeling however, that any future disassembly would be more difficult with that. After taking these steps, I have had no further problems with leakage and doubt I ever will.

DavidNC
01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Clamps can be placed in such a way that they are easily reached with all covers in place.

BIGLRY
01-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Clamps can be placed in such a way that they are easily reached with all covers in place. +1
and even after more than a year of riding with OEM exhaust mufflers and now an aftermarket system mine have not come loose or leaked, but gasket placement is crucial in that respect.

TailGunner
03-20-2016, 09:05 PM
+1
and even after more than a year of riding with OEM exhaust mufflers and now an aftermarket system mine have not come loose or leaked, but gasket placement is crucial in that respect.

Hey BigLry, did you add any extra gaskets or try anything that would keep them from loosening up?

BIGLRY
03-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Hey BigLry, did you add any extra gaskets or try anything that would keep them from loosening up?
Nope, I just used the OEM gaskets, but paid critical attention to their placement on the male end of the exhaust header & mufflers as they slipped into the Loops and placement of the clamps. I also went through a heat cycle (started engine with all plastic off) then re-torqued all clamps after cool down.
I have not had any leaks nor has anything come loose after about 10k miles on them now. I set all my clamps so I could also reach & tighten them without removing any plastic in case there was anything leaking or loosening up, which thankfully has not happened.:icon_biggrin:
I must also note that I did switched out and used a more robust clamp on the muffler end, they were the ones that came with my Jekill & Hyde mufflers, but I had no problems with the OEM clamps before I installed the Jekill & Hyde system, I just wanted to use their clamp on their mufflers.

TailGunner
03-21-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks BigLry!

crawdad
04-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Sounds like you enjoyed installing the Loopz about as much as I did. I had to do mine twice for a couple of reasons. First, I wasn't careful enough about the orientation of the clamps and found they interfered with the lower panels. And, second, I wound up with leaks at the first joints between the manifolds and Loopz. The second time around, I doubled up on the gaskets and used real muffler joint sealer and that took care of that! If you're smelling any exhaust, especially when you're sitting still, you need to check for leaks.

Loops came today read instructions 2 times how long does it take to install.thanks.

shooter
04-02-2016, 03:45 PM

I'm sure they are called torque loops for a reason. Its a tuned exhaust and the extra length created by the loops increases the torque.

zzh54
04-02-2016, 06:02 PM
My loops showed up today. Taking notes now, was wondering how long to plan for install. I had all the lower tins off before so I am ok with that part, just wondering about headers and crash bars, anything there to watch for?? I read and will be gentle with O2 sensor and wire. Should all go ok as far as I can see.

Hornblower
04-02-2016, 06:09 PM
My loops showed up today. Taking notes now, was wondering how long to plan for install. I had all the lower tins off before so I am ok with that part, just wondering about headers and crash bars, anything there to watch for?? I read and will be gentle with O2 sensor and wire. Should all go ok as far as I can see.

Just take your time being especially careful how you seal that first joint. If Jimmy is still including gasket maker instead of muffler sealer, I would recommend buying some muffler sealer. Be very careful not to let the supplied gasket push in too far. You want that gasket flush with the edge. Also, be careful with the orientation of the clamps. If you don't install them right, you won't be able to fit the lower header covers back on. Another tip is to coat the rubber boots on the heat shields with silicone grease. That should help them slide back in place more easily. Good luck!

zzh54
04-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Thanks Ken, I will watch out for first joint, they sent gaskets with some sealer on them, but I will pick up joint sealer to make sure.

Jrockr
04-03-2016, 10:30 AM
WHAT TYPE OF LIFT DID YOU NEED TO DO THE INSTALL?

Hornblower
04-03-2016, 11:23 AM
WHAT TYPE OF LIFT DID YOU NEED TO DO THE INSTALL?

A lift would be nice but not required. I did mine on the center stand.

Elroy
04-04-2016, 07:02 AM
Just take your time being especially careful how you seal that first joint. If Jimmy is still including gasket maker instead of muffler sealer, I would recommend buying some muffler sealer. Be very careful not to let the supplied gasket push in too far. You want that gasket flush with the edge. Also, be careful with the orientation of the clamps. If you don't install them right, you won't be able to fit the lower header covers back on. Another tip is to coat the rubber boots on the heat shields with silicone grease. That should help them slide back in place more easily. Good luck!

Ken thank you for your advice, both in all your posts in various threads and the PM you sent me. We did not end up using muffler sealer on either joint. When you say "...gasket flush with the edge", you mean flush with the edge of the torq loopz right? There's maybe an 1/8" of gasket still visible outside of the loopz on the first joint, and we really hammered down the clamp right on the very edge of the loopz. Sound correct?

Hornblower
04-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Ken thank you for your advice, both in all your posts in various threads and the PM you sent me. We did not end up using muffler sealer on either joint. When you say "...gasket flush with the edge", you mean flush with the edge of the torq loopz right? There's maybe an 1/8" of gasket still visible outside of the loopz on the first joint, and we really hammered down the clamp right on the very edge of the loopz. Sound correct?

Elroy--From the latest pix I've seen, apparently, the Loopz gaskets are now coming pre-sealed, i.e. some kind of sealer already coated on the gaskets. That could be a significant improvement over the way it was done previously. If the gaskets are still the same length as the ones I got previously, they are fairly short. So, what can happen is that as you slide the Loopz on the header pipes, the gasket can slide back inside too far. As long as you make sure the gasket stays right on the edge of the Loopz, you should be fine.

buckeyeken47
06-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Ken, given that the new gaskets are pre-sealed I would assume that there is no need for additional muffler sealer...

Hornblower
06-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Ken, given that the new gaskets are pre-sealed I would assume that there is no need for additional muffler sealer...

I really can't say since I haven't seen the new pre-sealed gaskets. If they do, in fact, have a high-quality, high-temp sealer already applied then maybe you'll be OK. Maybe someone else around here has used these newer gaskets and can report back.

Elroy
06-14-2016, 12:40 PM
I really can't say since I haven't seen the new pre-sealed gaskets. If they do, in fact, have a high-quality, high-temp sealer already applied then maybe you'll be OK. Maybe someone else around here has used these newer gaskets and can report back.

I had the new gaskets with the red sealant already applied. After lots of headaches I used additional muffler sealer anyway. Glad I did. The fit between the loopz and the header pipe is tight enough that it peeled back the red sealer in a lot of spots. YMMV, but I wasn't taking anymore chances....

buckeyeken47
06-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks - I appreciate the info...

RickW
06-15-2016, 09:04 PM
We finally got a set of Torq Loopz on our own F6B. They are installed with a set of Rush Mufflers with the 2.25" Baffles.
You will instantly notice the deeper sound. The sound still levels off at quite a lower rate at cruising speeds.
When you get on it, you will notice a pretty good bark with the Rush Mufflers. I really did not notice drone before with the 2.25" baffles, but my son noticed a little compared to his new Valkyrie, that is not there now.
The sound is somewhat like my old Valkyrie now, but much more refined.
The heat is gone from the Catalytic Converters.

I would strongly suggest these if installing after market mufflers, you will get the true sound that you are looking for.
We also have gotten very good feedback from everyone installing these with stock mufflers.