PDA

View Full Version : Go Pro Mount

F6bisnext
12-28-2015, 05:56 PM
You guys are WAY ahead of me on figuring this stuff out. How and where do you mount your Go Pro's? I just got one for Christmas. Thinking crash bar as I have a KlockWerks Dark Smoke which would not be conducive to good video.

Hornblower
12-28-2015, 06:18 PM
You guys are WAY ahead of me on figuring this stuff out. How and where do you mount your Go Pro's? I just got one for Christmas. Thinking crash bar as I have a KlockWerks Dark Smoke which would not be conducive to good video.

How about helmet-mounted? That way, it sees where you're looking (if you want that).

BACA
12-28-2015, 06:21 PM
I mounted mine on the outside of my windshield (lower middle) with a go pro mount for easy on and off and used the GoPro remote control to turn the camera off and on.......I didn't need the view of the bike, just wanted the scenery......

GHOSTRACER
12-28-2015, 06:27 PM
I mounted mine on the outside of my windshield (lower middle) with a go pro mount for easy on and off and used the GoPro remote control to turn the camera off and on.......I didn't need the view of the bike, just wanted the scenery......

Suction cup mount? If so, where/how do you tether?

drifter
12-28-2015, 07:28 PM
I mounted mine on back, upper part of flat black fairing with a go pro adhesive mount. Steady video and looks good going thru turns

BACA
12-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Suction cup mount? If so, where/how do you tether?

No, I used one of those stick-on mounts....(GoPro adhesive mount)....I used the helmet mount because it better matched the curve of the windshield...and yes it comes off easy with fishing line.

dksmith
12-28-2015, 09:28 PM
I use my GoPro as a dash cam. I glued a GoPro mount to the nose. There is enough rotation to get camera view on the longitudinal axis of the bike.

bertrider
12-28-2015, 09:42 PM
I tried the crash bar and all I could see was a closeup of the road. I think you need to get it up high around the windscreen. I use a flexible clamp mount clamped to the screen.

F6bisnext
12-29-2015, 08:04 AM
If you are riding without the camera, what is left on the windshield?

Fla_rider
12-29-2015, 08:25 AM
This might get deep. I have had a Go-Pro for about a year. Placement is not as easy as it seems.

You see on the helmet you don't know if its on or off and placement on the helmet would mean you need to remember to move your head slowly. Helmet mount is probably one of the best positions if my wife is riding with me and can turn it on or off.

On the engine guard, I tried this position too, I used the goose neck with the clamp. Cons- engine noise is prevalent, you can only see limited down the road. Closer to the road less distance in view.

Mounted to the clutch reservoir using goose neck to extend outside screen. Pros- can see if on or recording , can see down the road. Can be pivoted to show ether side of the bike. This was my best solution.

Out of reach- using it on remote. The remote uses Bluetooth which drains the battery life. Unless you have a DC source for the camera and remote your battery won't last more than 1 hr. Mounting the camera out of reach will give outstanding results but does present more challenges.

Go pro is great for surfing and skiing down a mountain side, put it on our F6B's and go mountain carving one morning and you will run into issues of memory and battery life. Either you store backups or buy extended life or connect to a DC source.

Papa Tater
12-29-2015, 10:48 AM
i have mine on the right side on a (full face) helmet. Steady video and see's what you see, its close enough to my right ear -so I can hear the beeps on/off. Plus I can look down at my right side mirror and see reflection if the lights blinking (recording) or off on (stand by) -- and if I have been recording for awhile, it takes the guesswork if its still recording or if battery is dead-etc.. Just my .02 cents and worked great at the Franklin Rally at Deals Gap-etc. You can find my youtube video in the video section here.

BACA
12-29-2015, 05:10 PM
If you are riding without the camera, what is left on the windshield?

Just the adhesive GoPro Mount.

Old Ryder
12-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Getting a Go Pro is not very high on my list and I have not given this a ton of thought. But I had envisioned hanging it below one of the mirrors with some form of homemade bracket. Anything that had to be drilled or modified would not be visible and the camera would be discreet and out of the way. I guess I need to look at it closer before I jump in. Cycle Gear has them on sale for $199 last Saturday--about half price.

unsub
12-31-2015, 07:31 AM
On [top of] the left outboard mirror using the factory GoPro sticky mount. The mount is secure, the camera can be easily reached to turn on/off and the camera's wide viewing angle means the whole road ahead is in the frame.

The downside to any mounting location on a bike is getting access to power so you can leave the camera on all the time.

Fla_rider
12-31-2015, 08:28 AM
Getting a Go Pro is not very high on my list and I have not given this a ton of thought. But I had envisioned hanging it below one of the mirrors with some form of homemade bracket. Anything that had to be drilled or modified would not be visible and the camera would be discreet and out of the way. I guess I need to look at it closer before I jump in. Cycle Gear has them on sale for $199 last Saturday--about half price.

Baker Wings are in the way there, for me! Maybe on top, but it would be difficult to mount.