PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT

boocoodinkydow
08-16-2013, 12:49 PM
decided to de-badge my f6b. pulled both front & rear honda & the f6b emblems. OOPS, didn't realize the f6b badges were hiding a couple of holes; no retainers so i guess they were just used as alignment holes. planning a repaint this winter so no big problem. i was able to coerce the tape residue off from 3 spots by gently rolling the tape up into a ball & then cleaning the final residue with a carwash detergent. all was well until my thumb became so numb & sore just couldn't tackle the final spot without some help. ran down to wallyworld & picked up some super-duper TURTLE WAX LABEL & STICKER REMOVER. sprayed it on & allowed to set for about a minute & then rubbed off the first layer of tape residue without great effort. the second application almost removed it all. standing back gloating about how easy that was & admiring the effectiveness, i saw some scratches, some pretty damn deep scratches!!! looks like the chemical softened this cheap-assed paint to the point a paper towel did as much damage as 220 grit sandpaper. had some generic polish laying around & after several rounds it looks much better & hopefully some good scratch remover will cure my woes. just a heads up, fellows, don't make the same mistake i did!!

Steve 0080
08-16-2013, 12:56 PM
NEVER !!!!!!! use paper towels.....................

kjelders
08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
NEVER !!!!!!! use paper towels.....................

:agree:

I'm not having the "abnormal" paint issues so far....just the usual black paint in general. I did buy Liquid Glass and put one coat on yesterday. Looks really good. I plan on putting a second coat of LG tonight.

Ebony Deluxe
08-16-2013, 01:36 PM
I used WD 40, worked well with no scratches.

timjoebob
08-16-2013, 01:44 PM
GooGone or WD-40 and with a microfiber or soft cloth. And rub gently. I never use paper towels on paint or windshield. Paper is wood. Wood is abrasive. My 2 cents. Might be worth less.

edgeman55
08-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Ditto to what everyone else here has said.It was not the product but the paper towel that scratched the paint.Try some Maguires Scratch X product with micro fiber towels.It should remove them.

Deer Slayer
08-17-2013, 10:27 AM
A-Men on the paper towels. I seen windshields killed with them. I too do not have a paint problem. I have refrained from cleaning my red F6B while on the road. I cleaned with soap and water and wax of choice is Turtle Wax Ice in paste form. It does not show up on the black trim. Here is two more cents. I think the 2013 granny chair Wings have the same water base enamel as our F6B.

Bike44
08-17-2013, 12:05 PM
F4 Customs, the windshield maker that advertises here and hard coats their product says paper towels won't harm their screen's surface and recommends their use in cleaning. I have one (18" with vent) which I really like, and the surface is indeed tough. Bugs and rain slide off.

But I won't use paper towels. I grew up near paper pulp mills that produce them. Trees are felled into the dirt and moved to the mill. They grind them up and of course some fine debris gets into the paper.

But that F4 shield...so hard a cat can't scratch it.

And here's proof: http://www.f4customs.com/videos_pages.php?id=6

Texas TC
08-17-2013, 03:12 PM
GooGone or WD-40 and with a microfiber or soft cloth. And rub gently. I never use paper towels on paint or windshield. Paper is wood. Wood is abrasive. My 2 cents. Might be worth less.

Yep, both work great and will not harm any automotive/cycle paint.:bowdown:

Texas TC
08-17-2013, 03:21 PM
A-Men on the paper towels. I seen windshields killed with them. I too do not have a paint problem. I have refrained from cleaning my red F6B while on the road. I cleaned with soap and water and wax of choice is Turtle Wax Ice in paste form. It does not show up on the black trim. Here is two more cents. I think the 2013 granny chair Wings have the same water base enamel as our F6B.

The ones manufactured in Japan, beginning in 2012 do have the same paint process as far as I can tell. The Goldwing forum has a thread of owners complaining about the soft paint on their '12 & '13 year model motorcycles. I had a red '12 GL1800 and it had soft paint even though it was a metal flake red. I think it all began when the production lines were relocated.

Bike44
08-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Google low VOC paints and smell the green grass grow mo betta'. The questions is: How can Honda can sell a $20K motorcycle that scratches just looking at it, versus their cars for the same price that are more scratch resistant? Yes I went and looked at new Honda's yesterday and the paint doesn't swirl with a finger rub like the Wings/F6B. They are clear coated for example with a more durable finish.

They or their paint suppliers FU is why there's a problem, and there's little competition in the M/C market compared with the numerous owners of Honda cars and trucks. A few thousand Wings versus over a million Honda autos sold annually world-wide in the market won't grease the squeaking wheel as quickly.