PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Russell

Necanefan
01-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Well, after contemplating a Russell Day-Long seat for my last three bikes, I've finally taken the plunge on one for the F6B! I've never even seen a Russell seat in person, but have read numerous great reviews on various forums. That was enough to convince me.
I went with a heated black solo with leather inserts in a half moon pattern. Since I am frozen in Nebraska, I am unable to do a ride-in service. So, I'll have to email pictures and measurements for the fitting. This is a significant investment on the bike and I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure I will hear back on a production date this week, but with no chance of thaw over the next couple of months it all works out well.

-Jeff

six2go
01-03-2016, 12:41 PM
That sounds like the same seat I had on my V-Strom, minus the heat. I think you're gonna like that "Half Moon" pattern. Be sure to treat the leather inserts every once in a while, I neglected to do that and it was showing some wear when I got rid of the bike after 3 years of use. Good choice. :clap2:

Necanefan
01-03-2016, 12:50 PM
That sounds like the same seat I had on my V-Strom, minus the heat. I think you're gonna like that "Half Moon" pattern. Be sure to treat the leather inserts every once in a while, I neglected to do that and it was showing some wear when I got rid of the bike after 3 years of use. Good choice. :clap2:

I'll be sure to treat the leather inserts; thanks for the heads-up. This will be my first leather seat. I've always had vinyl on my stock seats and on the Mustang and Corbin seats that I've had in years past. I'm hoping for a much higher level of comfort and to finally be able to retire my Airhawk seat cushion.

Amipro
01-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Would like to see it when you get it installed.

Necanefan
01-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Would like to see it when you get it installed.

No problem. Since you are in Omaha, you can see it ln person if you would like. I'll post pictures also.

Retired Army
01-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Here the dual seat on a F6B trike. I ordered it last winter so it was on the trike to start the riding season.

Necanefan
01-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Here the dual seat on a F6B trike. I ordered it last winter so it was on the trike to start the riding season.

Nice looking seat! I hope it is as comfortable as it looks.

Retired Army
01-03-2016, 02:10 PM
I forgot I used some Doc Bailey's clear on the seat https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?template=2&page=dochome.htm to seal and waterproof. I ordered mine from their site and was ready to apply it before mounting.

wiggy
01-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Necanefan,

You're going to LOVE the seat. I had one on my Valk Interstate and could ride gas stop to gas stop without butt burn. Before that, with both the stock seat and Ultimate, I couldn't only go 125 miles.

I also second the Doc Bailey's clear recommendation. I used it on my current F6b seat(a Mustang) and it really does a nice job of keeping it looking like new. It also seems to have waterproofed the stitching nicely!

Necanefan
01-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info in the Doc Bailey's, guys. I'll make sure an order arrives prior to the delivery of the Russell.

tpa
01-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Necanefan,

You're going to LOVE the seat. I had one on my Valk Interstate and could ride gas stop to gas stop without butt burn. Before that, with both the stock seat and Ultimate, I couldn't only go 125 miles.

I also second the Doc Bailey's clear recommendation. I used it on my current F6b seat(a Mustang) and it really does a nice job of keeping it looking like new. It also seems to have waterproofed the stitching nicely!

I'm curious to hear how far you normally ride before your keister needs a break on the Russell? i get about 125-150 on the OEM seat before I need to give it a break.

wiggy
01-03-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm curious to hear how far you normally ride before your keister needs a break on the Russell? i get about 125-150 on the OEM seat before I need to give it a break.

My Russell was on my Valkyrie Interstate that got totaled out by a deer strike this past June. With the Russell Day Long seat, I could go the 200 miles that a tank of gas would be good for.

About the only down side to a Russell is having to send them a seat pan to use for your new seat. For this reason, I didn't want to send in a good pan and pay the super big bucks for a Russell F6b seat. I got a good deal on a Mustang Day Tripper and thought I would try it first. So far, so good.

Here is a pic of the Russell on my Valk, which is in motorcycle heaven. ;0

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/Ottawa6_zps356ec933.jpg

maxrider
01-11-2016, 10:25 PM
150-200 miles on OEM, then I have Monkey Butt.

750+ miles ran out of road, got home, no issues.

It's only money, your A.. is worth it.

Python
01-12-2016, 12:01 AM
Is it worth the extra for the leather inserts over the all vinyl with the extra maintenance, glad I looked at this thread, you all have called the performance of the stock seat, thanks for all the good info

SimonTemplar
01-12-2016, 02:04 AM

Compatible with the stock passenger backrest? (can't tell if the one in the pic is the stock rest or not)

....sT

Necanefan
01-12-2016, 05:36 PM
Shipped my stock seat out today, well ahead of my 2-3-16 build date. Shipping charges...ouch. Can't wait to get it back from Russell.

seadog
01-12-2016, 09:01 PM

I sent them the stock seat and this is what I got back! Very Very happy with my purchase.

1951vbs
01-13-2016, 09:33 PM

I stop every 100-150 miles but start early and finish late. 1000-1200 mile days no problem. IMO and experience velour seating surface is far superior to leather for long distance comfort. Never hot in summer, not cold in winter.

maxrider
01-14-2016, 12:57 AM
Agree that Velours has the best of both temp ranges(Hot-Cold), I venture to say that the leather seat surface area is second for comparison, and cost wise it is not that much more then all vinyl, and do the sides in vinyl to keep cost down, which is an option.

Python
01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Did you get the heat in your seat. What do you guys think of getting the heat in the seat ? Never had heated grips now I'm a fan of them. And yes I'm on the list to get one of these seats, hope after this it helps the ass burn.

Necanefan
01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Did you get the heat in your seat. What do you guys think of getting the heat in the seat ? Never had heated grips now I'm a fan of them. And yes I'm on the list to get one of these seats, hope after this it helps the ass burn.

I did order heat in my Russell seat. I've never had a heated mc seat before, but based on how much I love heated grips, I'm sure that I'll see a big value in the heated seat option.

Necanefan
02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
I received my Russell Day Long seat on Tuesday. Early impression is that I love it! I only out about 50 miles on it to test it out, but it is definitely the most comfortable motorcycle seat I've ever ridden on. I ordered it with the heat option and was a bit skeptical on how effective it would be. The heat is a great option for cold weather riding and it produced plenty of warmth on a 40 degree ride. I'll give it a good test on the weekend of March 18th when I head south to the Ozarks. I'll likely out 1,100 to 1,500 miles on that weekend.
Here are some pics:19150191511915219153

Retired Army
02-25-2016, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=SimonTemplar;106198]Compatible with the stock passenger backrest? (can't tell if the one in the pic is the stock rest or not)

Sorry about the late reply that is the original passenger seat back with an extension from Steve on this forum. The wife loves it.

opas ride
02-26-2016, 12:59 PM
I received my Russell Day Long seat on Tuesday. Early impression is that I love it! I only out about 50 miles on it to test it out, but it is definitely the most comfortable motorcycle seat I've ever ridden on. I ordered it with the heat option and was a bit skeptical on how effective it would be. The heat is a great option for cold weather riding and it produced plenty of warmth on a 40 degree ride. I'll give it a good test on the weekend of March 18th when I head south to the Ozarks. I'll likely out 1,100 to 1,500 miles on that weekend.
Here are some pics:19150191511915219153

Does this seat type raise or lower the seating position or does it stay about the same??...I currently have the Mustang seat as I need the lower arrangement for my short inseam....Love the Mustang so far, but might consider the one you have down the road....Ride safe...

opas ride
02-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Does this seat type raise or lower the seating position or does it stay about the same??...I currently have the Mustang seat as I need the lower arrangement for my short inseam....Love the Mustang so far, but might consider the one you have down the road....Ride safe...

Checked the Russell web-site and got my answer on the seat....Thanks...Sticking with the Mustang for now....